Arsenic Chickens

polli.jpg

I know, I shouldn’t watch TV, but on Sunday I was at home and the TV was on and I listened to it. Paolo Brosio on “Linea Verde” was visiting a chicken farm.

His aim was to reassure us about the meat from chickens.

He didn’t succeed.

The checks carried out are done by the producer. We have reached the moment of the auto-certification of chickens.

The space in which these poor animals move is almost inexistent, and yet the law fixes the limit as three animals per square metre.

And what do these chickens eat? The reply given was for 80% they eat grain.

And the other 20%? It contains perhaps arsenic, antibiotics, fish, and animal flour?

The avian flu virus, H5N1, is us. We have created it with the meat industry, with putting animal life and merchandise on the same footing, with thousands of chickens packed together and destined to live only 3 months, swallowing antibiotics so they don’t get ill, with their beaks clipped so that they don’t hurt the other chickens. Mad animals.

We eat arsenic and antibiotics and we produce disease.

In a recent interview, Tiziano Terzani said that we are devouring the world , that we are no longer respecting life.

In the film “War of the Worlds” the aliens want to destroy the Earth and its inhabitants, but they are killed off by a virus.

Perhaps we are the aliens and the virus is camouflaged as Brosio who does counter-information for the RAI.

Posted by Beppe Grillo at 10:04 PM in | Comments (11) | Comments in Italian (translated) Post a comment | Sign up | Send to a friend | | GrilloNews | listen_it_it.gifListen |
| | Condividi

Comments

Just taking a quick coffee break and wanted to post a hello

Posted by: to bingo | November 12, 2005 01:39 PM

Fabrizio darling,
As I have stated before, I DON'T pretend to convince anybody to do anything. I express my thoughts and opinions with honesty, and I'm not afraid of doing so. If there's one lesson I've learned from life, is to be straight forward, not pretending to be what I'm not.
Having said that, I have heard the same thing before (the food chains, etc.). I don't wish to get tangled in a phylosophic discussion over this, because it will take too long. Just a few points I want to make.
1) I don't judge you personally to be an unethical person (I don't even know you). But I do feel strongly against the process of producing and consuming meat in this time and age. There were a few other human beings (such as George Bernard Shaw and Albert Einstein, to name a couple) who had similar views. I would not call them pretentious for having strong opinions about animal welfare.
2)Lions are predators; we share 98% of our DNA with primates. There aren't that many similarities between our species and the felines or other nature predators.
3)Something has been done for million of years, so that makes it right? Rape has been practiced for a long time too, so has genocide, but that doesn't make it right, does it? OK, you might say that rape and genocide are worse because they involve humans, the "superior" race, but I beg to differ.
4)One doesn't have to physically kill an animal (or a person, for that matter) to be responsible for its suffering. We all contribute to someone else's misery, if we're not careful. (Ie. If one buys a product manifactured by an industry abusing children, one might not directly cause suffering to them, but will have some responsibility: wouldn't you agree?)

You are an astronomer, so you are man of science and that is wonderful, as you have an empirical view of the universe and its laws. I think that gives you enough tools to use reason and knowledge in your life, without failing to be also compassionate.

But again, I have never tried to persuade anybody to do anything: I am not a politician. And I'm not out there to educate the masses or change the world either.
I stopped thinking I could when I turned two!

Good luck with your profession and your many activities.
Take care, star.
Roz x

Posted by: Rosie Trenta | October 30, 2005 04:11 PM

Maximum respect to your speech, more international, than a simple italian.

Posted by: Paolo Conte | October 30, 2005 01:33 PM

By the way, Rosy, I think it's easyer for me to visit directely Kokos going directely to the Maui Ape Preserve. I'm living in Honolulu! :D

Posted by: Fabrizio Bernardi | October 30, 2005 09:59 AM

Thanks Rosy! I appreciate a lot you called me star. Expecially because I'm an astronomer!:)
Do you know what? I'm not the cruel, hungry for meat guy that you think. You are not the only one who was and is caring about nature. In all my life I cared about human beeing as much as animal and nature in general. Last thing I made, for example, was a scuba-dive cleaning of some shores (AWARE project). The fact is that I love nature and its rules and laws. I'm part of the nature and if my stomac tells me that I need some meat, I don't see any good reason why I don't have to follow it. Does the lion think about ethic before running after an anthilope?
Doing this, I don't see my self more stupid than you and, most of all, I don't feel to be unethical. Unethical is that one who kills for money, for power or only for killing in itself.
What hurted me by your words, is the pretentiousness to judge the ethicity of people who is only doing what human beeings did for millions of years. I'm freacking out at the thought that one day there will be another Rosy who will judge unethical to have sex!!
If I can give you a suggestion, friendly (sincerely!), don't be so strong and direct in saying what you belive. You will never find people that will change ideas and will follow you. I find more appealing someone who explains to me his reasons without judging me unethical for what I'm normally doing.
Take care!
"The moral ethic inside me, the starry sky over me!" I. Kant

Posted by: Fabrizio Bernardi | October 30, 2005 09:52 AM

Blimey! I should preview my posts before sending them.
Sorry about the grammar mistakes. It's not that I forgot my mother tongue, but I was to lazy to check for spelling mistakes.
Sorry again.
Rx

Posted by: Rosie Trenta | October 29, 2005 07:00 PM

Oh Fabrizio, you are a star! I just can't get offended by your remarks, because I think you're hilarious.
Anyway, I am definitely not an intolerant person; if I were, I would endorse violence towards those who abuse animals - for whatever reason - but I am not that way. Nevertheless, I am still entitled to my opinions, and if I choose to think that it is unethical to eat meat, I don't see why I shouldn't.
What do you think, by the way? That I have only vegan or vegetarian friends? That I discriminate against meat eaters and don't ever even talk to them?
I don't go out in the world trying to convince others to become veggies either, but as I have stated before, I do believe eating animals to be unethical. I am sorry if you can't deal with it, but it is what I think. What are you going to do, shoot me?
That you are against hunting is commendable, it shows that you are not the insensitive moron you're trying hard to be with me.
You make your life choices and I make mine. Got that?
Anyway, I praise your curiosity to find out more on the subject. I have dedicate my entire existence to the cause of animals and the environment and worked in that field since I was very young. I have always believed that knowledge is what makes us free, and wanted to know more is a very positive thing. So, good for you.
Take care now.
Roz x

P.S.
Bingo Bongo says hi, but if you want to have a look at some other interesting primates, why don't you visit this site:
I personally prefer Koko to Bongo. :)

Posted by: Rosie Trenta | October 29, 2005 06:56 PM

My dear Rosie, it's typical of intollerants to speak in this way. I really don't care what you do or don't eat. It's your problem, but I don't think it matters to you what I and other ugly and bad guys eat. By the way, I also have vegan friends, but at least they don't pretend to teach me what it's ethical or not. This is the reason why I don't go to church.
Anyway, I thank you for the suggestion of Singer. I will read him. I'm still open mind. I like, for example, to read Darwin.
By the way, even if you don't belive me, I'm against violence and hunting, but if I have to feed my sons and wife I don't really care where proteins are coming from ( if they are healthy and not humans!).
Mors tua vita mea! :D
P.S.:Send my greetings to Bingo Bongo

Posted by: Fabrizio Bernardi | October 29, 2005 10:06 AM

Well, that's nothing new to me. It's typical of meat eaters make statements like yours.
I've heard it all before, you know.
I'm well informed, perhaps you should be too (there are a few interesting books by Peter Singer, for instance, which will also present a philosophical argument concerning the consumption of vegetables and so on), before criticizing what you don't know nor understand.
I see I was right by the way, people like yourself are indeed unethical and I would rather have the company of a primate. Might not be a Nobel prize winner (so what's your point?), but at least it would not eat me, because "I taste good".
So long.

Roz x

Posted by: Rosie Trenta | October 28, 2005 09:10 PM

To Rosie Trenta:
I think that it is unethical that other people are thinking I'm unethical because I'm eating meat, and if you don't understand, maybe you can try to taste some meat. What I don't understand of vegans or vegetarians, is why are they worried of animals and it seems so unethical to kill and eat them, when they don't care at all about carrots and onions. They are living beeings, isn't it? As much as bacteria and viruses. Do you really care to not kill any bacteria you meet every day?
If you consider "few human beeings" some billions of men, well, I suggest you to read some statistics or mathematics books.
BUT I still consider that it is important that what we eat be healthy and that animals we want to eat are treated as living beeings and not like food "in fieri".

P.S.: Primates are vegetarians, I agreee. This maybe explains why my physician or the last Nobel Prize are not primates!!

Posted by: Fabrizio Bernardi | October 28, 2005 08:35 PM

I find that eating meat is totally unethical and could never understand it.
I have been a vegetarian my whole life and I have never felt like something was missing.
I will not endorse the senseless slaughter of millions of animals, just to please a few human beings.
It's simply disgusting and I pity those ones who choose to look the other way.

P.S.
Primates are vegetarians, by the way!

Peace x