Watch out for the sausage

wurstel_monumentale.jpg

We import meat from Germany, adulterated meat. No one in Italy speaks out, as is explained in this letter that I’m publishing. And yet the German media have been talking about it. But silence is golden. And if it’s a bit rotten, no one takes any notice. And more. Checks will show that up. Checks. Who checks up on the meat coming into Italy? Why do we need to import it? If we have to eat it rotten we can do that on our own. And perhaps even better than the Germans.

“Hi,
A few days ago a massive scandal about adulterated meat has broken out in Germany. It’s generally frozen meat and it is on sale throughout Europe.
Public opinion here knows nothing about it. What’s the scale of the scandal? The German police seized 10 tons of out-of-date meat from a wholesaler in Munich in Bavaria. The meat was more than 4 years out of date and it was being put on sale and exported to France, Denmark, Czechoslovakia and the three Benelux countries.
The Italian authorities were informed of the happening and were invited to find the suspected merchandise that had already been imported from Germany. ( der Spiegel ).

The implication of Italy in the scandal can be gleaned from the news on ZDF (second German TV channel). The Bavarian authorities were already aware of the international sale of meat that is rotten and/or out of date. Following a check, a German distributor justified the situation to the authorities by saying that it was merely an error of labelling. And he produced documentation (concerning chickens) from the Italian importer that had been labelled by mistake as fresh when in fact the produce was frozen.

But now the scandal has reached such proportions that it can no longer be kept secret.
Anyway, this morning, the 74 year old German wholesaler Georg Bruner committed suicide. However the proportions of the scandal are even wider. The German police at Metten, Ruderting and Ratisbona, in Bavaria, seized from the German chain “Reiß meat centre" more than 40 tons of meat that is not for human consumption. At Gröbenzell out of 700 pallets of food, 70 had the “sell by date” altered.

In Austria, in the Tyrol, as a precautionary measure, 6 tons of meat have been seized.
Only here in Italy do the media stay silent. Is it possible that no one can understand German or are there other reasons to protect the food lobby?
I hope that once the copious documentation that is available on line at least on blogs, has been verified, that space will be given to this news item that I feel is of interest to everyone. ".
P. L.

Posted by Beppe Grillo at 10:47 AM in | Comments (23) | Comments in Italian (translated) Post a comment | Sign up | Send to a friend | | GrilloNews | listen_it_it.gifListen | TrackBack (0) |
| | Condividi

Comments

Eva, that's fine with me. :))))

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 9, 2006 11:43 PM

Germany "enjoys" a reputation that is far worse than it deserves.

While, it's the opposite for Italy.

We live in a funny world...

Posted by: Alex | September 9, 2006 12:21 PM

Joselle and Prince,how about happy spanking instead of happy slapping,good old fashion spank on the botton ,when they get out of line,video included with public viewing on the news?!:-)

Posted by: evakulnura | September 9, 2006 09:34 AM

Now, Prince, you know I LOVE your idea, my hands are already stinging!!! It did happen with some British parliamentarians, you know, and now Blair is bowing out for having licked Bush's boots too much. In Blair's case, we have the Labour Party in rebellion. [You also know this happened with the Iron Lady, though; and we're used to it. Enough IS enough.]

You see, these things do happen in Italy sometimes, but they are given the wrong interpretation I guess. Wasn't there once a young man, not long ago, who actually hit Berlusconi on the head with a tripod? I am also sure you remember what the reaction to that incident was, especially that of the TG4-subjective-dorko-media-slave Emilio Fede... but no comments.

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | September 9, 2006 08:52 AM

Yes Enrico I love the space here in Australia,I am one of the lucky one,living in the"
bush" like we say here,when I go in the big city,I can't wait to gcome back home,and is great for raising kids plenty of space to roam around.:-)

Posted by: evakulnura | September 9, 2006 03:09 AM

What about the same treatment reserved in Germany to the former green party's leader Joschka Fisher, whose face was smeared with semi-indelible green paint by his disappointed voters?
;-)))))
Well, it's time for me to go sleeping!
Good night to everybody!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 9, 2006 02:32 AM

Joselle
I want to add to your list another thing that the Italians could do.

Whenever they meet a politician in the street they could reward him/her with the Happy Slapping, while a friend is filming everything with the cell phone.

All the videos would be broadcasted online and the best one would win 1 minute on National TV to talk about our decline and the possible solutions to avoid it.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 9, 2006 02:06 AM

There are a few things that can be done to save ourselves a decline in all senses...

Everybody knows it is beneficial, for example, to consider the installation of solar panelling to get your energy, having your water heated most of the times without having to spend an eye on your electricity bills - the Greeks are doing it, the Cypriots are doing it, why shouldn't we?

Surely, knowing that most resources are not infinite, scientists should be concentrating their efforts on alternative energy, the clean type, to help us move around. I was reading an article about how, in Argentina, cars run on alcohol [or methylated spirit, 95% pure]. They are clean, efficient and cost effective. If this works in Argentina, definitely not a microscopic country, why can't it work in Italy?
We know that GPL and Metane Gas are not infinite either...

During the times of austerity in what was East Germany, the word that went round was RECYCLING... now that the two Germanys became one, it appears that instead of making a move forward, the country has gone backward. I have seen Germany changing, not necessarily in a nice way, unfortunately. I liked it more in the 80s than I do now. So, what is going wrong?

And it is true, as Alex said, you only need one fraudster to trick you, not necessarily a corporation though, very often, in Italy, because of what has been happening, we tend to look at corporations with wary eyes.

On the news, not long ago, there was some footing about how in some parts of Naples, expired food products had their expiry date retouched... I think it was reported on RAI TG1, and recommendations were given to look carefully at the dates imprinted, etc. and not to buy anything which has a deleted or retouched expiry date or is without such a date.

With fresh meat products, considering that Italy is a producer of meats, what the heck do they need to import meat from Germany for? Wasn't the BS virus enough of a lesson for all?

And, finally, what is the Department of Health doing on the matter? Why all this hush-hush-let's-not-talk-about-it syndrome?

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | September 9, 2006 01:05 AM

Eva, Australia was my second choice and Sweden my third, but I went to Canada first and fell in love with the place. I immediately bought a canoe and disappeared in the woods whenever I could. The Northern Countries have a particular poetry that must be experienced to be fully appreciated.
Very often I think that this incredible lifetime experience would have escaped me if I had'nt left and I'm sure you must be going through something similar.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 9, 2006 12:14 AM

2015? That means in 9 years!
I haven't a garden, nor a little balcony. How can I do?
Joking apart, it's a very scary vision! I hope they are exaggerating!
PS) good morning Eva!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 9, 2006 12:09 AM

Enrico like you I had the premonition or how we call where I came fron "lungimiranza", to live the country,for me has been a good move.

Posted by: evakulnura | September 9, 2006 12:01 AM

Hi guys,I read un article on the Sydney Morning Herald,regarding oil,they reckon that in 2015,oil will be finish,in order to survive,we all have to grow veggie in the back garden,it will be a big change,suburbia could not survive,so far the only country with a plan is Sweden,they have in place, a 20 years plan, the other country that shoul be ok is Cuba,they aldready did tha above when the embargo started,Castro got bycicle from China,and veggie garden for everybody,the rest of the world are not lissening to the warning.....nothing,selling state assets is not the solution,but a plan like the swedish people is.

Posted by: evakulnura | September 8, 2006 11:48 PM

@Alex: yes, the quality of life in Germany is not bad, but it's getting more and more worse.
I went to Germany in the late eighties, and I was shoked seeing the richness of the country and the hihg quality level of life. Twenty years after I see a slow but inexorable decline of the whole society, and a rising poverty in the middle class population.
In short: all that glitters is not gold.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 8, 2006 09:25 PM

Prince & Enrico:
I love revolutions.
Sometimes there is only this way to resolve problems. There are "loud" revolutions and silent revolutions. The second ones are these revolutions which occur "in a silent way" (that was for you, Prince)in people's consciences.
Sometimes we need to make a loud revolution, but often are the silent ones more effective.
I think we need yet a big silent revolution to change our minds.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 8, 2006 08:38 PM

Giovanni, I wish it was true, but people have a tendency to revert very quickly to the lowest common denominator after revolutions they fought to the death for.
A few years after a French Revolution that killed their king, the people elected an Emperor! Like this Aragonese friend of mine keeps telling me: " People are borregos (sheep)"

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 8, 2006 07:18 PM

I don't see why you guys argue against corporations.

A scam can be run even by a single entrepreneur.

Posted by: Alex | September 8, 2006 07:09 PM

Raffaella, the quality of life in Germany is still very good...

Posted by: Alex | September 8, 2006 07:05 PM

Wait until the crooked politicians and corporations will take away their needs beyond the threeshold of indifference: everybody will run in the street hitting everything that moves.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 8, 2006 06:56 PM

Oh yes, Prince, but only if it wake up from the nightmare called indifference!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 8, 2006 05:21 PM

The Silent Majority can still have a big weight on corporate decisions

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 8, 2006 05:18 PM

I agree with you, Enrico. I'm becoming pessimistic about the chance to change something in this fuc..ng world!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 8, 2006 03:02 PM

Beppe, you are opening the famous can of worms, or maggots in this case. If people knew what goes in the food they eat they would all become anorexic.
Mix greed with a criminal mind and see what you get. Isn't unfettered Capitalism grrrreat?

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 8, 2006 02:56 PM

I noticed a change for the worse in Germany, since the euro coming. Till 2002, those events has been very sporadic, now I see that the "Deutsche genauichkeit" is more and more falling and little by little even the germans are learning many bad italian habits, like to make profits conning the consumers!
People are the same the whole world over!
:(((