A Country with limited sovereignty

Vicenza.jpg

business education articles new education business opportunities finance education deposit money education making art loan education deposits make education your home good income education outcome issue medicine education drugs market education money trends self education roof repairing market education online secure education skin tools wedding education jewellery newspaper education for magazine geo education places business education design Car education and Jips production education business ladies education cosmetics sector sport education and fat burn vat education insurance price fitness education program furniture education at home which education insurance firms new education devoloping technology healthy education nutrition dress education up company education income insurance education and life dream education home create education new business individual education loan form cooking education ingredients which education firms is good choosing education most efficient business comment education on goods technology education business secret education of business company education redirects credits education in business guide education for business cheap education insurance tips selling education abroad protein education diets improve education your home security education importance

Since 1945, Italy has been a nation with limited sovereignty. After the Marshall Plan NATO bases arrived. More USA than NATO. First there was the USSR, now there's Islamic terrorism, tomorrow the yellow peril and the day after tomorrow surely something else. Instead of dismantling the bases, they enlarge them. In Italy we don't have nuclear power stations. To make up for that we host nuclear weapons at Ghedi Torre and at Aviano. And nuclear submarines at la Maddalena in Sardinia. About 30,000 Americans who are civilians or military.
They need to be informed that here there's no communist danger any more. That in Italy there has been no Islamic attack even though they are present here. That Togliatti has been off the scene for many years now. Why is there this occupation?
Isn't our army enough? Italy can't eternally remain the United States' aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean. 62 years stay is enough for having lost the war.
Instead of getting dismantled, they are getting bigger. At Vicenza, they want to double the base. The city doesn't want them. The politicians want them. The mayor wants them. It's always the same old story.
Here it's no longer a question of left or right. It's a question of national sovereignty. In charge in our own home. Without agents of the CIA that move around like in a saloon. Without being a sensitive objective for attacks.

PS: This evening, Tuesday 16 January there's a torchlight procession in the centre of Vicenza organised by city campaign groups and by the Vicenza MeetUp. Meet at 8:30 pm in Piazza Castello. Come in vast numbers.

Posted by Beppe Grillo at 07:53 PM in | Comments (69) | Comments in Italian (translated) Post a comment | Sign up | Send to a friend | | GrilloNews | listen_it_it.gifListen | TrackBack (0) |
| | Condividi

Comments

Well, Let's all wait and hear what Mr. Bush will say today in order to justify the presence and the necessity of another 20.000 American soldiers in Iraq....???

As for the situation in Lebanon, I am in no dought, what so ever, that help of a foreign army will be needed to assist that country too...!!!
After all being a "moron" is not an Italian privilege....

Posted by: paola filinesi | January 24, 2007 12:44 AM

Giacomo, let's agree to disagree.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 23, 2007 06:59 PM

Hello there, Mr. Rossi
It’s just a coincidence the fact that your stand on any issues is in line with article starting the Topics?
Nothing wrong with it, although it would be nice to know it or at least come out and say it (If it’s the case obviously!).
In the meantime relax, the world is not on your shoulder yet, hope it will but for now let the people in charge, with the know-how and the skills to make the decision.
Just stick to your opinion and rather then blasting other people opinions, come up with constructive and positive way to improve the situations and that doesn’t mean just demonstrating, breaking everything in site or burning the US flag that is really counterproductive.
Convince Italian Politicians to be coherent, responsible and more importantly humble.
I was aware before this Topic came up, although now the news is positive, the Italian Defense Department is investing in the US Project for the JSF (At the tune of billions!) this is the real incoherence of Italian Politics.

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 23, 2007 06:51 PM

Giacomo, you really don't know me. I care about the left as much as I care about the right and talking about tail wagging we all know who the poodles are on this site. As for my ability to be capable and willing to establish a line of communication with the Decision Makers in Italy I can assure that this is truly impossible because I don't even live there.
In a world that has embraced violence as a means to problem solving allow me to be proud of my "naive" pacifist position because at the very least I can claim that people like me will never bring the planet to the brink of extinction.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 23, 2007 06:43 PM

Hello there, Mr. Rossi
How can I be clearer, the deal is done, the base will be established and built what more can I tell you, be a pacifist.
Just let the US DOD know when they can start working on the construction of the Base with or without your blessings.
Mr. Rossi let’s stop the tail wagging here, you have no leg to stand on, your government has given the go ahead, is a done deal.
I got it, you don’t like it, sorry my hearth doesn’t bleed for your cause it make no sense and just because the Left is in power now the world has to start turning the other way.
You and your pacifism should persuade the world to turn the proper way, good luck I may add.
While I can’t speak or decide on DOD policies, you on the other hand seam to be capable and willing to establish a line of communication with the Decision Makers, go ahead make it happen.
I am merely stating my convictions, you on the other hand, have some input in the matter.

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 23, 2007 06:00 PM

"Hello there Mr. Rossi
Undisputable and clear facts only in my own mind!
Well what can I say, the “Go ahead” has been given; now the US will be waiting You!
Rest my case, just nod when it’s OK for you.
Thanks"
Can you please explain what you are trying to say in plain English?
The US should be very happy to embrace a pacifist like myself. Is it such a terrible thing to prefer dialogue with your opponents then military confrontation?

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 23, 2007 04:41 PM

Don't you worry Calissi..:o))

"Democracy consists of choosing your dictators, after they've told you what you think it is you want to hear"
Alan Coren

Posted by: paola filinesi | January 23, 2007 04:11 PM

Hello there,
I am positive Mr. Prodi doesn’t call himself the War President, first of all because he as no credibility as such, secondly because everybody would start laughing.
Credibility and accountability, Italy has none of the above and the Politicians even less, therefore you can shout out very loudly what you want or desire it’s irrelevant.
I admire people that, with their actions demonstrate their beliefs and not only because of personal gain in spite sometime of losses.
Although when it comes to Italy, sorry the credibility is not there, and Italy’s representatives are the pinnacle of incompetence and misguided policies.
The perfect definition is the Italian word “Approsimativismo” and since you know even Greek you should know what I mean.
Stand up and be counted, the journey to Credibility is a long one and for Italy is not even started yet.
For the US policy having ripple effect world wide, yes absolutely and this goes back to credibility and the old say that is the Golden Rule “Whom has the gold makes the rules”.
Gross National Product (Mr. Rossi was emphasizing) is not backed up by gold anymore although on the capability of a Country, any Country to Produce or add value to things, while for Italy the jury is still out on what value is it adding to anything.
This is why Italy is constantly under the lens of the EC and ECB.
Your turn now.

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 23, 2007 03:15 PM

All,
Let’s not start a new war.

Posted by: Calissd | January 23, 2007 02:55 PM

Mr.Chiametti,
The fact that you didn't vote for Mr.Bush is really unimportant (because he was elected twice and by not so legal means....it does happen else where you know??)....

AND most importantly Italy's policy does not affect the lives of human beings around the world..!!! Mr. Prodi does not call himself the WAR PRESIDENT ...!!!!

The majority of the American people DID vote for him TWICE and it's only because the number of dead soldiers is rapidly increasing that makes them worry....They are not concerned neither about civilian casualties nor devastation nor deficits.

As for the fact that US foreign policy does not change according to its President...well this is bad....I am sure you are clever enough to think of a few reasons.

ps. Please next time when using a foreign word be more careful unless you did mean to offend....

Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary:
Moron
Etymology: irregular from Greek mOros foolish, stupid
1 usually offensive: a mildly mentally retarded person
2: a very stupid person

Besides the fact that I do speak Greek and I did study Greek Philosophy....:o)

Posted by: paola filinesi | January 23, 2007 02:45 PM

Hello there Mr. Rossi
Undisputable and clear facts only in my own mind!
Rest my case, just nod when it’s OK for you.

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 23, 2007 02:16 PM

"I didn’t mean to offend, just to the state the fact that some people (You ans few other) like to stick to your line of thinking regardless of indisputable facts and clear choices made elsewhere."
Giacomo, indisputable and clear only in your own mind.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 23, 2007 01:24 PM

Hello there, specifically Miss. Filinesi
Yes of course you are correct, philosophy lesson are not very taken especially from you. Unless you have are a Professor with a PHD in Philosophy (Which I highly doubt but still possible, like Mr. Prodi in example he has so many Degrees and PhD’s in Honorees Cause dough).
While on the subject, you are correct about Mr. Bush (I assure you He didn’t get my vote) while for Mr. Prodi in Italy I read that is not doing very good either in various polls and statistics that I read throughout the world newspapers.
Now that we got the numbers out of the way, Mr. Prodi has given the “Go ahead” for the base and therefore your candidate has betrayed you not me.
By the way you mention the BBC, and correctly I may add Mr. Bush is at his lowest support level ever reached by a President, I wish He they would impeach him, I would give them my support.
In the US we can impeach a President while for Mr. Prodi sorry to say you have to keep him regardless the BBC and ITV mentioned investigation on Mr. Prodi collusion with the KGB etc.
The fact still remain US DOD policy doesn’t change with one President, while Italians it waffles from one side to the other depending on what side the wind blows.
Typical I may add.

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 23, 2007 12:57 PM

Hello there, specifically Mr. Rossi
I don’t like to offend anyone with slurs and offensive words, and for your knowledge I wrote the words: “bigots and moron”.
From Webster Dictionary:
1) Bigot: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
2) Moron: irregular from Greek mOros foolish, stupid

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 23, 2007 12:35 PM

Calissi,
I would thank the US for giving opportunities to people and advance in medicine, science, technology and other similar fields.

It is a pity that such an important nation has not studied history enough.....which always repeats itsself...!!!!

By the way, if you have a chance and read today's NBC survey on President Bush popularity within the US you will see that it has dropped to 28% (the lowest it has ever reached)...!!!
And from a survey done by the BBC, in 25 countries around the world, the US is strongly disliked for its foreign policy....This must mean something and it should be taken into consideration.

ps. Of course all these are philosophy lessons to Mr. Chiametti so it wouldn't be of any use to him.....

Posted by: paola filinesi | January 23, 2007 11:24 AM

Hello,
Giacomo, I have no idea who sign the bases deal but he got it right.
Today thanks to American money we have a first class defend system.

On true Democracies for Enrico and Paola, just to put things in the right prospective, it will be worth looking how people are living in North Korea, Turkmenistan, Belarus, and Iran - from freedomhouse http://www.freedomhouse.org

A final note, I personally thank US for making the world a safest place risking the life and using the money of his citizens.

Posted by: Calissd | January 23, 2007 08:51 AM

Giacomo, I can assure you that I'm not talking from a pulpit because I don't set foot in any Church. I find your posts going in whichever direction without replying to the relevant points. You are the typical number cruncher who counts trees without realizing that he's in a forest. And from your high perch please note that, unlike you, I didn't call you a bigot and a moron.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 23, 2007 03:50 AM

Hello there,
I am reading your comment and honestly is way too pathetic although understandable, because the fact is that when you run out of ammunition to justify the standing on a specific issue “US Bases in Italy” you have to start wondering off and climbing mirrors.
I just look at the facts, and states the facts while for my point of view I do not need to justified to no-one other than me.
Miss, Filinesi please spare me the philosophy lesson, as for the existing US bases in Italy you tell me why are they there, some of your buddies in the multiple governments must have sign the bottom line sometime ago, You tell me.
As for Mr. Rossi maybe I wasn’t clear in half, and I will repeat what I did write, US DOD annual budget 500 Billion while the US annual deficit so far it stand at about 340 Billion so lets get the number straight.
If you would like to talk about numbers is fine although my point was US bases are ther because Italy has no money so don’t give me the run around about spending the money in a more productive way when half of Italian industry is making money selling aircraft to whomever has the $$$ for it.
Let’s stick to the subject, meanwhile your reality and mine as well is to make the best we can within this society.
When You or I will be in the position of making these kind of decisions (I will make sure to get your approval when that time comes) well then we may sit down and discuss better way of handling it although until than please don’t preach from any pulpit because I am not listening.

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 22, 2007 11:27 PM

Mr.Chiametti,
You do remind me of the character Scrooge McDuck
With his pool of silver dollars....!!!
Is money all you can think of??? Are numbers so important to you???
You call us "bigots" and "morons" because all you can think of is money..!!!
You always think in terms of money, of interest, of wealth, of GDP, Trillions, etc.
What's wrong with you???

Have you ever thought of who is creating the havoc and who is trying to exploit others, thus creating enemies??

Do please tell me what is the reason for having the 6th fleet in Naples, Sigonella in Sicily, Aviano in Verona, Livorno,Vicenza???
What is the reason for having bases in Germany,UK,Japan,Greece,Turkey,Korea,Belgium,Cuba,Bahrain,Saudy Arabia,Spain,Portugal???
Who are we afraid of?? Or is there another reason?.....You tell me please....

Posted by: paola filinesi | January 22, 2007 10:16 PM

Gacomo, you are probably the only person left without worries over the US deficit. Remember that this debt is not backed by gold anymore.
These internationally borrowed half a trillion dollars for "defense" could be spent in more intelligent and constructive ways. Humanity is going down the drain with this type of vision and we need more creative solutions to our differences than threatening the survival of this shrinking planet.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 22, 2007 07:22 PM

Hello there, Mr. Rossi
I must have pushed the right button, although you are correct on the US deficit with only a minor difference that 8.5 Trillion for the US economy represent only a 65% of GDP.
Having sat that, now we know that Italy GDP approx. 1.5 Tril. With approx. 60 Mil. People while US 13 tril with 300 Mil. People.
You do the math, and after having done the numbers tell me who needs to go to work and finance the venture in Lebanon, Afghanistan, Kosovo and everywhere else our Italian Politicians wants to play a role on the International scene.
In my books the US spends 500 billions a year in defense (Italy included) while Italy has to charge those poor immigrants in Sicily a ticket otherwise the budget doesn’t cover the Navy expenditure to save them.
Put your money where your mouth is right now not yesterday and certainly not tomorrow.

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 22, 2007 06:58 PM

Great effort in Kosovo, but no mention of Iraq and Afghanistan. The most competitive Country happens to be also the most indebted to the rest of the world, to the tune of $ 8.5 trillions and counting. The chickens will come back to roost sooner or later and nobody will rejoice.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 22, 2007 06:36 PM

Hello there,
Oh and by the way someone mentioned Global Economy, very interesting subject especially coming from Italy.
The most uncompetitive Country on the European Continent, the one that has 108% of GDP deficit, just warned from the ECB to get their Yearly budget in line otherwise Italy will be reprimanded, yes Italy lets bring up the Global Economy.
Sometime you folks really put your foot into your mouth.
Please make me laugh on a global scale

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 22, 2007 05:39 PM

Hello there,
I read most of the comments, and it’s seams to me that the majority is not complaining about the presence of US bases in Italy, but rather the increment of one base specifically.
On the other hand, I would understand the complains about all the bases (6th fleet in Naples, Sigonella in Sicily, Aviano in Verona, Livorno, Abruzzo Radar Installation etc).
I wouldn’t mind if all the US bases would close down, but by the same talking just make a big fuzz about this specific one is utterly ridicule and inappropriate.
When the war was in Kosovo everyone complained about the inabilities of Europen Nations to take care of their own continent, and guess what let the American do the dirty work, while the do gooder Italian only go there for peace keeping and to steal supply from the Albanians and Kosovarian.
Most of you, would fit the perfect description of bigots, and the not in my backyard types.
We like US money although not in my backyard, only in Germany, Poland and Checks, yea over there is OK not in Vicenza.
You morons is still Europe, and you really don’t want the US bases just sign-out of Nato close down all US bases and then put your money where your mouth is.
Meanwhile Agusta builds 6 billion worth of Mr. Bush Helicopters (Immediately cancelled) Finmeccanica sells 10 Billions worth of Eurofighters to Saudi Arabia (Forget this as well) and the 30% stock into Sukkoi of Russia owned by Italian Finmeccanica well maybe you should keep that one otherwise you will freeze you’re a*s without that one.
Folks the world is a little more complicated, and if you enjoy the freedom and sovereignty you dear so much, think about who gave it to you or protected for you?

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 22, 2007 05:29 PM

Calissi, you are one of those people who need a master. It looks like you've found yours.
The word democracy these days is like a dog's breakfast: it includes illegally spying on your own citizens , legal use of torture, internment ad infinitum in the absence of proof etc.
And to conclude you definitely don't have to be an American in the global economy.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 22, 2007 04:22 PM

Paola,

Thank you for your answer.

You correct; you are not an American citizen but in a global economy you are an American.

Regarding the American policy, do you know which policy can better avoid a nuclear terrorist attack?

Regarding the bases, it is ok to stay without US military bases as long as we have a better military system; however, stay without a credible military system because nobody will be so unfair to attack a pacifist country is unwise.

Regarding the democracies, it may be that the Greek and the Romans got the concept right; however, the American they got it working and standing.

On this, I have a Churcill quote:
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.

Posted by: Calissi | January 22, 2007 04:00 PM

Calissd,
Although your post was addressed to Pierro Sanna I could not over look it. There are a few things I would like to point out since I live in a country
where US military bases do exist...

We are not US citizens... (America being a continent has other countries as well...), we do not live the US model of life. True Democracy is not a US invention (!!!) and in my opinion it's rarely found now days...

If the US has enemies they should revise their own foreign policy and guard their own boarders.
Other countries are not US boarders. We respect their sovereignty they should respect ours...

Posted by: paola filinesi | January 22, 2007 02:09 PM

For Piero sanna; although your comment contains offensive language I decide to answer anyway.

Our political and economical system is a copy of the American one. For our good, the American system has won over monarchies, fascist regimes, communist regimes, and others; please check here http://www.freedomhouse.org for the countries still behind.

American politics can be criticized; however, our goods, our economy, our political system come from there; thus, we are all Americans and we should not forget where we stand.

9/11 was a wake up call. After it, US become defensive in preventing future threat. America defending itself is defending also us; in fact, a terrorist blowing up a city is a blow to the civilized world. And I remind that having terrorist with nuclear weapon is low in probability but not impossible – you can read the Pulitzer Winner: Ghost Wars by Steve Coll.

Regarding the American bases, can Italy currently reachable from Balkans, North Africa, and Middle East be without a credible military? Yes, but on the right side.

Sadly our history is clear, societies without enough military hardware didn't survive – you can read the Pulitzer Winner Jared Diamond.

Posted by: calissd | January 22, 2007 12:29 PM

Paola: Strange habit? I'm only making a virtue of necessity! (lol, lol, lo,!!!!!;-)))))))))))
PS) I'm getting better today... and tonight I will celebrate my birthday, with Annamaria and all my friends!
We'll think of you!
:-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | January 22, 2007 10:58 AM

Raffa,
If I knew the tisana was imported I would never have drunk it.....:o))))
How are you feeling any way, any better??
Are you still keeping photographs face down...???
(what a strange habit...)...:o)))))

Enrico,
Next time I will let you know in advance..:o))
You know, sometimes breathing the "polluted air" of Rome...is not so bad as long as it's only for a short while....!!

Stefania,
I agree, but we don't really need someone else to show us what is right or wrong...If bad things happen then it's our fault and we should bear the consequences....

Posted by: paola filinesi | January 22, 2007 10:35 AM

Paola: and what about my blueberry- ginger infusion? ;-)))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | January 22, 2007 09:58 AM

Brand new US base in the Czech Republic for the national missile defense programme. Russia is now considering reviewing its military planning in response. What's going on with all this expansion?

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 22, 2007 04:06 AM

You talk about the Americans, but what about the Italians?
After WWII the monarchy was exiled, however Mussolini’s relatives were allowed to stay and now they are in Parliament (see Alessandra Mussolini). Even the corrupt royalty is back.
Italians just don’t get it. We cannot even protect ourselves from ourselves.

Posted by: Stefania | January 22, 2007 03:34 AM

Paola, just the name Rome makes my heart flutter....
Glad you had a good time!

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 22, 2007 02:00 AM

Why is fear always present?? Why do countries and people need a protector???
This has become the latest "trend" and in most cases the target is the USA... Well, why is that??
How come such a big nation, that it's always "helping" people and "protecting" people is continuously under attack of some kind??
Would it be that some of its actions are not so "magnanimous" as they want us to believe, or is it that this Super Power policy is so unpopular and tyrannical that people cannot bear it any longer??

What is the use of the military bases in Italy? Because what? Iraq will invade Italy, then France and will get to the US across the Atlantic??

What is the use of any military bases in Europe any way?? What for, to protect who from whom??
Germany is full of Turks, France is full of Arabs, Italy is full of Chinese, Indians, Africans you name it, and Greece is full of Albanians, Arabs,
East Europeans etc. so what's the problem??
After all the US do not accept immigrants unless they are wealthy....we Europeans get the poor lot
So....???

I would be glad if any one would care to answer any of my above questions.

ps. I've just come back from Rome this evening and I can asure you (Prince,Enrico...) the espresso was perfect (!!!) and the wine even better....!!!! :o)))

Posted by: paola filinesi | January 22, 2007 01:28 AM

Marcello, Iran doesn't have any military bases in Italy. How many Countries have military bases in the USA? If you believe in national sovereignty you shouldn't have any problem understanding that this principle must apply to all Countries without exceptions.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 21, 2007 07:37 PM

Eva,

My question was only aimed at understanding your point of view better, as well as everyone else's.

I read many criticisms against the US--and that's fair. However, I would expect that the same critical approach would be used in judging other countries' policies--which have a far worse record with human rights and constitute a much greater danger to world stability than those of the US. One such country, from my point of view, is Iran.

While I am not playing advocate of the US, my impression is that freedom in Italy is far worse than in the US. Think of corruption or social mobility. People in Italy have much less opportunity to rise on merit than in the US.

This brings me to the other point: that there are positive aspects which Italy and others could copy from US society--and all to their own advantage.

Since my impression is that an all-around condemnation of all that is American emerges from the opinions of many, I used the question to enquire about their point of view.
Regards

Posted by: Marcello Ferrari | January 21, 2007 07:05 PM

Hello there,
Credibility, folks is the name of the game.
Italy has none, too much too lose to little to gain, and while Politicians like to play on the International Scene (UN, Afghanistan, Iraq, Lebanon, Croatia etc) want to play, have to go with the flow.
So either Italy cough up the money (Pay the UN or send soldiers) which we all know Italy doesn’t have or send soldiers.
Folks what do you think the world revolves with money and interests, but “No” Italians are all so Idealistic and Nationalistic, we are the good guys.
Please keep your feet to the ground and look around in Italy, do a little soul searching and then tell yourself, am I the shiny example of coherence and credibility?
When asked to jump Italy can only ask “How high should I jump”

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 21, 2007 03:10 PM

Marcello you mention only Usa,I do not have anything against them,freedoms in the world has been achieved also with the help of other countries too,Australian and New Zealand lost lots of young men fighting in the second world world and in Vietnam,and also all the others Commonwealth Countries,USA did not rid of fascim,ect ect by themselves,and there are not the only contry with freedom and democracy,no hard feeling cheers

Posted by: eva kulnura | January 20, 2007 09:47 PM

Eva,

I asked a question.

What is the point of your reply?

Posted by: Marcello Ferrari | January 20, 2007 04:24 PM

It is too hot to comments,my brain is frying (35 degree in the shade),I got enough energy to ask a question,Calissd and Marcello which planet are you coming from?!

Posted by: eva kulnura | January 20, 2007 05:10 AM

Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????
Calissd are you real? Or is it just me allucinating?
How can you possibly buy that shit my friend? That's about the most disinformed and naive comment I've ever read. Are you by any chance Kissinger's son ?

Posted by: piero sanna | January 19, 2007 08:44 PM

My link doesn't seem to work. Try this one

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 19, 2007 03:37 PM

US is the best man made invention. Without US the world will be Fascist or under Russian Imperialism rule. US got rid of the monster of this age: Fascism, Nazism, Japan Imperialism, and Russian Imperialism.
Still USA is paying high price to get rid of the new monster: Terrorism, Iran, South Korea, and Iraq.

Posted by: calissd | January 19, 2007 03:17 PM

Lots of criticism aimed at the US. But which, in your opinion, grants greatest freedom:

Italy or USA?

Muslim countries or USA?

Posted by: Marcello Ferrari | January 19, 2007 02:22 PM

You should read the article by Antonella Randazzo on the "Basi militari americane: una storia di crimini e soprusi" (18 January 2007) It includes US military activities in Sardinia.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 19, 2007 12:33 PM

How much is good press worth? To the Bush administration, about $1.6 billion.

That's how much seven federal departments spent from 2003 through the second quarter of 2005 on 343 contracts with public relations firms, advertising agencies, media organizations and individuals, according to a new Government Accountability Office report.

........

The new report reveals that federal public relations spending goes far beyond "video news releases." The contracts covered the waterfront, from a $6.3 million agreement to help the Department of Homeland Security educate Americans about how to respond to terrorist attacks; to a $647,350 contract to assist the Transportation Security Administration in producing video news releases and media tours on the subject of airport security procedures; to a $6,600 contract to train managers at the Bureau of Reclamation in dealing with the media

Posted by: melania pomante | January 19, 2007 01:07 AM

Ecco cosa si inventeranno gli USA quando la pagliacciata del terrorismo islamico non sará piú attuale:

Questa donna é stata la segretaria di Werner Von Braun, un famoso scienziato della NASA. Von Braun le riveló, prima di morire, in quale sequenza gli USA avrebbero presentato le minacce che attanagliano il genere umano. In questo modo legittimeranno sempre la loro presenza militare nel mondo.

Posted by: melania pomante | January 18, 2007 06:36 PM

Enrico, don't worry.

I come from Bergamo, the official Alpini province (along with all the Friuli and Piemonte).

All of my relatives has been in the corp but me and for this reason I resented it a little bit because almost all the guys of my school were in Sud Tirol.
Nowadays I have to go easy with the Alpine Diet because of Cholesterol and other shit like that.

About combat there is no worry, nobody fucks with the Alpini:))

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 18, 2007 06:01 PM

Giovanni, you didn't realize that I once was a "forte ma ignorante Alpino". Or is it the other way around? But don't worry, I never killed anybody and I spent my military service eating truffles and drinking grappa to drown the boredom and stupidity of compulsory military service ;-)

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 18, 2007 05:36 PM

Calissi, just bear with me. Who in his right mind would want to attack and conquer Italy? Don't you read Beppe's blog and all the resets he's hoping for? Who would want to rule over such an ungovernable Country? Rest assured that the USA want military bases in Italy for totally different reasons from what you think.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 18, 2007 05:29 PM

All,
Is war so improbable?
History says differently

Posted by: Calissi | January 18, 2007 04:38 PM

iih ih ih ih ih ih!!! "Forti ma ignoranti" that is simply brilliant Mr Principe!

Posted by: piero sanna | January 18, 2007 04:33 PM

Ahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!

The famous terrible San Marines!!!!!

They also finish their enemy by giving them a picture of Little Tony.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 18, 2007 04:17 PM

AH AH AH AAAH! that's a good one Enrico!

Posted by: piero sanna | January 18, 2007 04:02 PM

I would be more concerned with an attack of philatelists from the republic of San Marino armed with heavy stamp binders.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 18, 2007 03:04 PM

"...is Italy really able to defend itself?

Wihtout US support, how many days could Italy resist an invasion from Croatia, Niger or Libia?..."

Posted by: Calissd

-------------------------------------------------Wow!?, oh my God!
Croatia, Niger and Libia are planning to invade Italy?
Why nobody told me!???
MAMMA MIA!!!!

Posted by: gianluca fontanella | January 18, 2007 02:26 PM

Emanuele da Iglesias einza'(tott'a postu coppai?) let us know what would you do if you were in charge mate! We are all ears!

Posted by: piero sanna | January 18, 2007 02:20 PM

If I were in charge...

Posted by: Emmanuele Da Iglesias | January 18, 2007 11:57 AM

All,

is Italy really able to defend itself?

The choice is simply or Italy invest in a credible military force or accept US military base.

After all, if Uncle SAM wants to spend his money for defend us let them do it.

Posted by: Calissd | January 18, 2007 10:33 AM

F.U.C.K. A.M.E.R.I.K.A.

Posted by: Fuck America | January 18, 2007 09:53 AM

Piero, the US military have the most dangerous and powerful weapons known to mankind and they constantly upgrade and test them. In Canada they experimented for years with the spraying of Agent Orange and other defoliants at a New Brunswick military base in the 1950s and 1960s. Everybody involved in the program either died of cancer or is very ill. Poor Sardinia!

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 17, 2007 10:16 PM

Jesus! I don't believe this shit! it's the same old story. In Italy there are 40.000 hectars of space occupied by military bases. 23.000 of them are situated in Sardinia. You do the math. Fortunately the Governor of Sardinia Renato Soru is firmly commited to expelling these polluting intrudors out of our beautiful island. It's been repeatedly observed and widely certified that most american bases used, during military training, materials and substances that are radioactive, extremely polluting and definetely illegal. As a result of that, the rate of tumor cases in the areas surronding the bases has dramatically increased in the past 20 years. What's more most part of these bases are situated in beautiful and completely unspoiled parts of the coast. This obviously means that nobody can enjoy it, as they are considered off-limits areas. This is the tipical situation where one realizes that there's no real democracy. Citizens should be given decisional power at least when issues of such importance and relevance are discussed. I demand the right to choose wether I want military presence in my territory or not. At the end of the day this is what democracy should be all about. Mind you I 'm not sayng that we should have a referendum for every single little thing that goes on in Italy. That would be unthinkable. What I mean is that there are matters of such magnitude that have to be discussed and regulated according to the public opinion. Otherwise we might as well admit that we live in a regime.

Posted by: piero sanna | January 17, 2007 08:26 PM

Make politicians pay for their mistakes.
Yes no territory in the world is to be leased to anyone
remember:MURUROA! the skylift in Trentino Alto Adige
Sarajevo:Beretta and landmines!!!!
From 1998 Italy has tribled his income for selling arms or components
controlarms.org for more info
I am ashamed of my home country
Hospital wastes to be binned either in the sicilian saltmines or abandoned landfills all over the south of Italy.
I am deeply saddened by my home country!
Is the Marshal plan back? Yeah,forgot we somehow sent troops to Afghanistan and Iraq!!!!
So why not earning from some other people's despair?

Posted by: Maria Consuelo spera | January 17, 2007 07:28 PM

Hello there,
As for being Italians and wanting sovereignty over Italian land, I only wish they had the guts and money for it.
Sadly Italian Politicians from 1948 (58 Government in 56 years) proves otherwise.
Since then Italy has been and still is today (Back then American today European) territory to colonize, especially if it comes with money.
From either side of the Iron Curtin money has always flow into Italy, although depending on your credo or side of the political spectrum, is acknowledged or negated.
Ask Mr. Prodi or Mr. Bertinotti they have been around for a while, they should know and they are still there.
While for the other side ask Mr. Andreotti or Mr. Cossiga (Famous Lockeed scandal he was there) they have been around for a while as well, and available I may add.
The moral is Italy shouldn’t have too lease territory to no one, although with Politicians like these, spending money left and right while they don’t have any, well they know where to get some any time, Example:
1)Mr. Berlusconi to Iraq= 6 billion contract for Agusta Helicopters
2) Finmeccanica=Military Hardware plus Boeing Contracts
3)Fincantieri=Military Contract plus Ocean Liners USA
4)Nuovo Pignone Firenze=Sold to GE for a net loss, Politicians lots of dough.
5)Sigonella=USA Airbase expanding for a money.
6)Naple=6 Fleet, money for Politicians Campania thrives for it
7)Naples=All US bases and Radar Centre (One in the Appennine secret) for money.
8)Abu Omar=Kidnapped, nobody knows anything Secret National Security
9)US CIA flights=Nacional Security Politicians know nothing about it.
The moral is someone has and still is making very good living with Italian resources, although now crying foul, after $300 Mil have been invested and 200 more to come seams obtuse and very inconsistent, and by the way without the US looking over us, Italy woudn’t have any military to save his own a*s, they all overseas with UN or in peacekeeping earning money.

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 17, 2007 06:48 PM

“now there's Islamic terrorism”, or as the double agent Mustafa Rosenblum aka Sherlock Hommos said

“THERE IS TERRORISM ON ISLAM”; WAR OF TERRORISM

Where do you think the US-ato, that vile barbaric US mercenary franchise in Europe will have fun bombing the Afghan wedding parties the children’s school, the maternity units, the village people enjoying their festivals …….

If the US gets out of Muslim lands and goes with their kinds it will have no need to terrorize Muslims and no need to expand their bases of rapists, mass murderers and serial killers.

Italian government has been nothing more than an empty package. They have no policy of their own. They attach themselves to the bully and will fatten themselves from the blood & fresh of Muslims.

Il bel paese con i bravi ragazzi

Posted by: Marcia Visanji | January 17, 2007 06:47 PM

Giovanni, after this I promise I'll never eat mortadella again!
Did you know that there are 800 US military bases around the world? This kerfuffle in Vicenza show that you just can't stop this problem from metastasizing. It boils down to sovereignty like Beppe says and you just have to accept your vassal condition. A tribute must be paid to the Lord you have sworn fealty to.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | January 17, 2007 06:44 PM

What a fast decision!

I would like to see the same dedication and speed also in dealing with the medieval Biagi law and to review the election law.

After all, my gut feeling about MortadellaMan was right.

He is a gutless and lazy individual and every day is proving it.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 17, 2007 05:39 PM

Sono un vicentino incazzato che vive a Parigi.

Non é possibile che un governo di sinistra si svenda cosi...
E non mi si venga a dire che era una decisione già presa dal governo precedente!!!

Su quante cose bisognerà ancora calare le braghe per il possibile appoggio che gli usa ci stanno dando o sui millantati benefici economici.

Possibile che non ci renda conto che siamo ITALIANI e non una succursale americana!!!
Possibile che non si debba provare il piacere di dire "non esistono occupazioni del nostro paese".
E continuo a dire nostro anche se vivo in Francia da 3 anni.

Posted by: Mirko | January 17, 2007 05:34 PM