Bad science

Beagle.jpg

Animal experimentation is a resource. Not for the whole of humanity. Just for the chemical industry. Money comes above our health. And above the suffering of animals. Politics is done by companies. By their interests. By their politicians. Legions. Parliamentary majorities. Informed citizens protest. The others don’t even do that. It is not possible to serve the interests of people and the profits of companies. They are incompatible. That’s why the politicians have chosen the politics of the current account. The one that will take them far, unless the voters vivisection them before that.
I’m publishing a letter from Fabrizia Pratesi on the REACH (Registration, Evaluation and Authorization of Chemicals) project. Another defeat from which to bounce back.

”Dear Beppe,
As you know the European REACH project to provide regulations for chemical substances in commercial use, had the aim of improving the quality of our lives, after 50 years of European Far West (most of these substances did not undergo testing for toxicity).
In fact, it has been demonstrated that the widespread use of synthetic products, even every day ones like insecticides, produces each year about a million premature deaths and a continual increase in illnesses like cancer, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, Multiple Sclerosis, congenital malformation, sterility, and pathologies of the endocrine system. Already in 2004 the ‘International Declaration on the Dangers of Chemical Pollution’ presented to UNESCO by Luc Montaigner and many famous scientists, started with the words: “The human species is in danger”.
During the long debate in REACH lasting more than 3 years, the politicians (Commission, Council of Ministers and Parliament) had to mediate between the protection of health and of the environment and the protection of private interest (Chemical industries). The result: in the final vote (13/12/06), the interests of the industries won out over those of the environment and human health, with a thousand worsening modifications made to the text.
I can’t list them all. I’m limiting myself to denouncing the most serious error, the clay pillar on which REACH was based: to consider valid, in evaluating the toxicity of substances, the experiments carried out with tests on animals, in spite of the denunciations, ever more frequent and in official publications, of the untrustworthiness of these tests, even by the scientific director responsible for research at the European Commission, Thomas Hartung. He said in an editorial of the prestigious magazine ‘Nature’ that tests on animals, for the lack of trustworthiness are ‘bad science’ and he hopes that REACH is the occasion for giving scientific dignity to toxicology with a total renewal.
If the Member States don’t correct this point in the application phase, the whole REACH project will have been in vain. Animal testing, not only does it supply erroneous forecasts for humans, but it also allows industries to be able to programme their responses (by varying the animal species used, as each species gives a different response) and to get round civil responsibility (as ever, with recourse to the untrustworthiness of the testing). Remember that this is written in the Programme of the Italian Government:

“in line with the community regulations and in the light of the most recent scientific studies on the matter, it is necessary to promote and favour research carried out with methods that are alternative to the use of animals and progressively to abolish the research and the experimentation that uses them.”
I invite all those who are sensitive to the progress of science, to the improvement of human health and to the defence of the rights of both animals and humans, to contact me at the address:
equivita@equivita.it."
Fabrizia Pratesi de Ferraris (coordinator of the EQUIVITA Scientific Committee)

PS: I advise you to read three books: Pietro Croce – ‘Vivisection or Science - a Choice’, Hans Ruesch – ‘Naked Empress or the Great Medical Fraud’ and ‘La medicina smascherata’ (Medicine Unmasked).

Posted by Beppe Grillo at 10:09 PM in | Comments (8) | Comments in Italian (translated) Post a comment | Sign up | Send to a friend | | GrilloNews | listen_it_it.gifListen | TrackBack (0) |
| | Condividi

Comments

Unfortunately so that there are advances in science must experiment first with animals

Posted by: alternative cancer treatment | December 12, 2007 04:38 PM

Eva,
Read the labels....Sodium Laurel(th) Sulfate is written on every soap (liquid or not)used in the kitchen for washing dishes or in the bathroom as a shampoo or a shower gel...Which means that if you wash your hair with your dish washing liquid there will not be a lot of difference...!
Of course I am simplifying things but the base of commercially made soap is the same for all soaps.
Now another ingredient is Tallow (Sodium Tallowate)
which means that the soap is made of tallow...I am not saying that tallow or emu oil is bad for the skin but I would prefer it if I knew that I am using an animal based by product or not.
So labels are important..!!!
The thing is that labels are either written in Latin or in incomprehensible medical terms that not many people can understand.

Anyway, the subject is too complicated so if you really want (you do have my e-mail) I can give you a few addresses in Australia of some very good friends of mine who make 100% natural products. One lady is Italian and she would be more than happy to help..:o))

Posted by: paola filinesi | January 9, 2007 11:43 PM

Paola this is a bad news,because that were I buy my toiletry,can you suggest another brand that is animal,and environmental friendly,we have few in Australia,but they are expensive,ciao

Posted by: eva kulnura | January 9, 2007 01:17 AM

Well Maria,
Your mother is right!!!
Petrol was used to help infants breath better when they suffered from Whooping Cough...!!!
So she does know what she is doing...:o))

Jokes aside, we cannot disregard the fact that in the VERY EARLY stages animal testing has helped medicine a lot; but at the same time and for MANY YEARS now, animal testing has become a despicable act of cruelty..!!

"Body Shop" products were succesful because they were not "Animal Tested" (now the company is sold to L'Oreal(!!)..)

Animal substances like ambergris, castoreum, civet and musk are taken respectively from the Sperm Whale, the Beaver, the Civet Cat, and the Musk Deer.
None of them is mentioned on the label because it is not mandatory and it's a secret recipe!!!
You wouldn't really want to know how they are taken because you wouldn't like it at all....

So the problem is a lot bigger that what it seems....:o((

Posted by: paola filinesi | January 9, 2007 12:52 AM

MCS:

Your mom irons with the paper?
My mom and my grandma were used to do that! I completely forgot!

Well, good habits can also start from our houses.

What do you think could be done to sensibilize the public?

I tell you, I could even ride a horse to work in case this would be necessary: one thing to overcome will always be our habits and what we really need to make our life better.

It's a balance that few people knows.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 8, 2007 04:45 PM

You're killing me/kidding me.....
whenever i see my mther (63 yrs old) washing even my cotton panties in a load of water, who irons a pile of laundry of ANY fabric under my nephew's nose ( nearly 9 mths old and who has bn treated for bronchitis ) using pages of daily newspaper (petrol?oil?)nearly everyday GODS can only imagine where my heart sinks!!!!!
But if i go out for smoking a FAG, plain english CIGARETTE, my fingertips are smashed btwin blind and plexiglass doors, nearly killing my left hand middle finger fingertip!!!!
But hey....May day may day.....I am allright!!!!/OK?????

Posted by: Maria Consuelo Spera | January 8, 2007 04:27 PM

Wrong word.

I wanted to mean "demand" instead of "expect".

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 8, 2007 04:21 PM

We can make the difference.

Let's boycott those products made with animal experimentation, thus making these companies change their system!

Let's expect a law that mandates every chemical company to put on the label if they or they don't experiment their products on animals!

I'm not talking only about drugs.

I'm talking about every other product that is in this area of experimentation, like cosmetics, toiletries, etc...

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 8, 2007 04:20 PM