La Madunina and the ladybird

coccinella_milano.jpg

There are no longer any ladybirds in Milan. In their place there are formigoni, moratti, and penati. Insects that cause lung diseases and live in urban cement. Gabetti, Pirelli RE, Ligresti and Caltagirone affectionately nourish them with car parks and empty buildings.
Their natural habitat together with oil. Milan is the world leader. It’s the only city with the wife of an oil tycoon who is mayor and the wife of an oil tycoon who is leader of the opposition. Two wives for two brothers.
"O mia bela Madunina che te brillet de lontan...la ghè pù la mè Milan".

business education articles new education business opportunities finance education deposit money education making art loan education deposits make education your home good income education outcome issue medicine education drugs market education money trends self education roof repairing market education online secure education skin tools wedding education jewellery newspaper education for magazine geo education places business education design Car education and Jips production education business ladies education cosmetics sector sport education and fat burn vat education insurance price fitness education program furniture education at home which education insurance firms new education devoloping technology healthy education nutrition dress education up company education income insurance education and life dream education home create education new business individual education loan form cooking education ingredients which education firms is good choosing education most efficient business comment education on goods technology education business secret education of business company education redirects credits education in business guide education for business cheap education insurance tips selling education abroad protein education diets improve education your home security education importance

Dear Beppe,
We have found out that you are in Milan this evening. The “moral capital” of Italy as it was called once upon a time. It’s true that Milan is a great city. But if it is the one that has evolved the furthest, who knows what the rest of Italy is like. And who knows how we will end up.
Just think that even the ladybird has left, the creature that brings luck. Extinct. Disappeared. And perhaps that has some meaning.
Yes, because who knows that every weekend up to 200,000 people escape from Milan to go to the sea or the mountains, anywhere to not stay in their city?
And how many know that if it goes on like this in 2024, in the centre only 6 per cent of the population will be less than 30 years old? Certainly, because the houses around the Duomo cost even 15,000 Euro per metre, the average income is 55,000 euro a year. And the young have to emigrate to the hinterland.
No one knows. Just as very few know that according to data collected by epidemiology experts of the Tumour Institute, the recorded smog levels are 20 times higher than the maximum set by the European Union.
The level of pollution set by the European Union for a whole year has already been exceeded in the first two months of 2007. All this while Formigoni was saying that pollution from fine dust had gone down.
At least you can tell him that at Milan for years, the Region and the City authorities have been calming giving out data about smog while in their internal documents, that we have in our possession, they were writing that these numbers are not reliable because the machines for measuring (the “teom”), are “optimistic”.
No no-one knows. No one says any longer that if the pollution levels were like those of other European cities, the lives of 1,300 people would be saved. The death of 250 people killed by lung cancer because of fine dust, would be avoided.
Instead… instead as the experts at the Macedonio Melloni hospital remind us, one year old babies in Milan have lungs with lesions similar to those of a smoker or an elderly person. You tell them, tell the story to those who come to listen, that new born babies have a 22 per cent increased possibility of dying of lung infections.
Certainly, Milan is fashion. New trends. Scintillating venues. But it is also the city where every year 80,000 people go to the health service for depression.
Where one person in nine has at least once in their lives sniffed cocaine to manage to keep up with the rhythms. Where in 2004, the suicide rate among women was double that of the rest of Italy.
But do the people of Milan know that in their city, the capital of the Italian health system, for the emergency doctors covering the night and the feast days there is one doctor for every 130,000 inhabitants, when the health system regulations set down one for every 5,000 inhabitants?
Perhaps this is why everyone escapes at weekends. This is why in summer Milan becomes a city with fewer than 35,000 inhabitants. The ones who stay are just those who can’t afford to go away. Certainly not Milan to drink, this is becoming Milan to die.”
Luigi Offeddu and Ferruccio Sansa (authors of “Milano da morire”, Rizzoli)

Posted by Beppe Grillo at 09:38 AM in | Comments (24) | Comments in Italian (translated) Post a comment | Sign up | Send to a friend | | GrilloNews | listen_it_it.gifListen | TrackBack (0) |
| | Condividi

Comments

DARKSIDE

MAN WHO FART IN CHURCH SIT IN OWN PEW.

CROWED ELEVATOR SMELL DIFFERENT TO MIDGET.

Posted by: confucio | May 9, 2007 11:51 AM

Darkside

MAN WHO FART IN CHURCH SI IN OWN PEW

Posted by: confucio | May 9, 2007 11:49 AM

Confucius, you´re... confuc-ked up!

Posted by: Darkside | May 9, 2007 09:20 AM

Joe,

MAN WITH HAND IN POCKET FELL COCKY ALL DAY.

MAN WHO FISH IN OTHER MAN'S WELL OFTEN CATCH CRABS.

Posted by: Confucio | May 9, 2007 05:44 AM

A.Bici,
woman who scratch ass should not bite fingernails,

woman who eat many prunes get good run for money.

Posted by: Confucio | May 9, 2007 05:40 AM

By the way:

Is not Ladybird.

It's Ladybug.

As you can see, I got tangled into it as well.

(Joe, you didn't catch it either, you are getting old!)

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 9, 2007 01:34 AM

R. Biferale

The only thing that is evident is that whatever you do in life does nor require logic.

Posted by: A. Bici | May 8, 2007 11:36 PM

Do you guys remember the magnetic ladybird from Total?

They were hard to find in the 1970's but were cool!

I know I'm a little bit OT but, what the hell, is always better than get pissed off about Letizia Moratti and her gang of crooks.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 8, 2007 10:57 PM

A. Bici
Maybe you have a lot of time to waste in internet, arguing about these hairsplittings.
Fortunately (for me) I have more to do in my real life.
Cheers.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | May 8, 2007 08:50 PM

R. Biferale

Sorry, but I did not say that Romans steal. I said that the tendency to seek something for free appears to be a common thread among the Romans that I met travelling.

Stealing was a manifestation of that tendency and was displayed by some of those I met. Therefore, not even by all those whom I met. This is very different from what you attribute me: that Romans steal. (!)

I did not even mention the comparison between Rome and Milan which, instead, you attributed to me. (!!)

It is also incorrect to state that I misinterpreted your considerations about love, friendship, sunsets, free time and being rich vs. being poor. I did not say anything about any of those...

So, what you understood is again very different from what I wrote. If there is a problem of misinterpretation, I am afraid, it is all yours.

Posted by: A. Bici | May 8, 2007 08:42 PM

Joe: I was talking about LOVE not SEX.
I know men (like my boyfriend, for instance) who don't need to have a FAT WALLET to get a woman like me, but only a true heart and a brilliant mind.
There are also women (like me, for instance) who are not looking for a rich man but for a man they like.
There is a parallel world, not made of greedy people, but of people like me, and many others.
There are some people who are not for sale, even if you can't believe it!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | May 8, 2007 08:17 PM

A. Bici:
I only said that there are things in life that are for free, (like love and friendship)and these things are the most important and gratifying at all. YOU replied that romans are used to steal or to take something without paying.
I quote:
"So, when I read a Roman saying that "the best things in life are free," I wonder if the meaning is that the best things are really free, or that you can simply take them without paying"

That was your interpretation of my words.
The interpretation is wrong.
That's all.
Regards

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | May 8, 2007 08:03 PM

I still need a good spanking!!

Posted by: ilaria b. | May 8, 2007 08:00 PM

A. Bici
Sorry, but you are wrong again!
I didn't make a comparison between Rome and Milan.
You did it.
I was talking about Milan because that's today's topic, but I could say the same things about Rome and other big towns in the world.
You want at any cost to repropose this hackneyed diatribe Rome Vs Milan...! Stop it, please, it's really boring!
:-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | May 8, 2007 05:48 PM

R. Biferale

You seem a lot more amazed by the sunset than by the Roman crooks...

I suppose the former is more rare to see than the latters.

Posted by: A. Bici | May 8, 2007 04:54 PM

A. Bici:
You didn't understand the meaning at all!
Probably you can't imagine that life is full of wonderful things: love, friendship, a beautiful sunset, a walk on the beach. You don't need to pay money for these things simply because they are not on the markt. Obviously, you can buy love and friendship with a lot of money, but what you receive is only COMMERCIAL love & friendship. Are you interested in that? Do you need to PAY for love? Fortunately I don't.
Cheers

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | May 8, 2007 03:40 PM

I definitely agree with Luigi B. The problem is: no Milanese wants to live in that mess, and I'm sure at least half of Milan inhabitants would love to change the city in that sense. The problems are politicians, money, time we dont want to "waste". Would it be better to waste such an important and beautiful city?? Why arent there more "domeniche a piedi", which we all know are worthy and useful? And so on..

Posted by: Sara Giorgi | May 8, 2007 03:26 PM

While travelling, I met several people from Rome. Different people, different occasions, different places. But something in common: they invariably tried to get something for free.

Staying in someone´s living room for indefinite periods of time without paying. Or stealing in the shops. Or stealing outside of the shops. Or all of the above.

And these were actually normal kids. Even nice people, apart from this.

So, when I read a Roman saying that "the best things in life are free," I wonder if the meaning is that the best things are really free, or that you can simply take them without paying...

Posted by: A. Bici | May 8, 2007 02:45 PM

Compared to the UK, the Milanese are not so sad. Nor are they so interested in money at all costs. The UK is worse. Sure, Milan has a problem with smog (and, perhaps, a very big one), but as Milanese you should fight to have that changed. You have a beautiful city with a lot of culture. Don't be like the ladybirds but stay and make the city great. For me, I am very pleased and proud to call Milan my home.

Posted by: Andrew Davies | May 8, 2007 02:43 PM

Prince: Milanesi are sad because of their scale of values. Obviously, I don't mean 100% of Milan's inhabitants, but as for the average mentality money is the first value and the most important goal to rich in life. The average Milanese has not time to waste, because time is money. I rather prefer to have less money but more time for myself and during this time I can cultivate my own interests, my friendships, and my love. As I often wrote on this blog, all things you need to be happy are for free.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | May 8, 2007 02:15 PM

Where I come from, the province of Bergamo, we are used to say that the milanesi are sad.

Every time they speak we feel this sadness and we still can't understand it because, even if we grew up only 60 miles apart, it looks like we come from different galaxies.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 8, 2007 01:51 PM

Yes, but I need a good spanking.

Posted by: ilaria b. | May 8, 2007 12:45 PM

Had posted a similar comment some months ago and, without no surprise, I sadly notice nothing whatsoever has improved in Italy.

Dear fellow reader, leave the country, leave this declining mess. Europe is "our" asset. There are many offers abroad. I won't be easy, it'll imply experiencing a voluntary exilium.

However, I reckon we've already passed the no-return point. Our politicians and policy-makers simply reflect this statement. The boat is sinking. Actually, half of it has never been above sea levels, so my suggestion is dive into the sea and paddle towards merrier sites.

Good Luck!