Dreaming of California!

marcello_romano[1].jpg

Italy is losing its brains.

Our young people have the following possibilities when they leave university:
- unemployment
- under-paid work
- emigration

Those who can, like Marcello, choose the latter. He sent me this letter:

“Dear Beppe,

At 35 years of age, I’ve just resigned as a staff researcher with the Department of Aero Spatial Engineering in Milan Polytechnic.

I'm going to stay in California, with the Naval Postgraduate School di Monterey.

In Milan, with the salary of a researcher, I wouldn’t manage to get half way through the month.

With my salary here, I can keep my family and still save more than  half of it without making sacrifices. With a slight lack of modesty, and lots of sadness, I would like to point out that Italy is losing not just myself, but also my wife and our two children.

Best wishes.

PS I would like to take the opportunity to thank Italian taxpayers for the diploma of maturita' classica  {Classics High School certificate}, my undergraduate degree and the Doctorate in Engineering.

Marcello Romano

Comments

Dear Marcello and Beppe,

I read you post with a great interest. I am currently living and working in the US, and I am considering moving to Italy. It is true that salaries in the US are higher, and it is easier to find employment here than in Italy, but the quality of life is much worse. If you are ready to be a slave to your employer, work long hours, have no time for social life, and be under constant stress, then America is a perfect place for you. It is very sad that young, educated Italian professionals have to leave their beautiful country to find employment abroad.

Best,
Beata

Posted by: Beata Gesicka | November 19, 2008 01:36 AM

Caro Beppe Grillo
Vorrei sapere come mai gli Italiani credono che l'Italia sia un paese di inventori e di scienziati... Infatti fin da quando l'Italia esiste, in Italia non e' possibile brevettare "Technologie importanti"...
Fin da quando l'Italia esiste in Italia non e' stata sviluppata nessuna tecnologia a causa di questa "Intolleranza Intellettuale" di stampo Religioso...
Tutte le "Tecnologie Importanti" vengono importate con la soprattassa per le Autorizzazioni del Ministero, il Monopolio di Stampo Mafioso... E cosi' "I farmaci" per esempio costano il triplo di quanto costano all'estero (stessi prodotti)
Saluti
Luca Benatti

Posted by: Luca Benatti | June 15, 2007 03:36 PM

Saluti
Luca Benatti

Posted by: Luca Benatti | June 15, 2007 03:35 PM

Dear Marcello and dear Beppe,

I am miserable in new york and want more then anything to move back to Milan or somewhere in europe. I married an American to stay in America to work. but it is not working out. I suspect that she is having an affair with a women! and I have read her emails and found her diary which confirms it. She never wants to spend any time with me and we live separate lives. Frankly I don't know why we got married in the first place. what should I do? if I stay here I will never amount to anything, I will always be at the bottom doing other people's work for them. but she does not want to move back with me or she keeps postponing it. I don't want to be with someone who lies and cheats but now we have a baby what do I do!

M

Posted by: Phillip Nonastuto | September 13, 2006 07:32 AM

I think you are all pathetic if you had any type of talent or balls you would go back to Italy and change things! Change things by starting your own business, I know many successful people in Italy who have and are making a lot of money and live very well! What good is it to whine on a web site, stop acting like babies and be where you want to be, you only have this life! Unless you are stupid and talentless, in that case maybe it's better to settle, work for someone else so they get the money and be miserable! And when Italy can sustain itself anymore you only have yourselves to blame!

Posted by: robert fulghum | August 22, 2006 07:02 PM

Dear Mr. Grillo,

I remember years ago when you were a jester. Funny at times, though it took you incredibly long to crack a single joke, as it was all ad lib and you are no Groucho Marx (some tightening of your act, some rehearsing, some prepared jokes would have helped a great deal). Now you have turned into a political activist. Your blog suffers from the same problem that afflicted your comedic routines: it’s overlong. If you want to make it incisive, make it snappy! You come off as a boring nagger rather than a passionate polemist. It feels like reading the grievances of an old spinster. Learn to economize, and you’ll make your points much better. Sincerely,

Angelo Pardi

Posted by: Angelo Pardi | January 2, 2006 05:21 PM

I left Italy 4 years ago and now i'm working in swiss. I'm IT engineer and it was sad for me say goodbye to the Italy, but here the pay is higher than there and quality of the life is better. My wife is still working in Italy, she is Export Manager, but her bosses pay attention only to their nepotism affairs. We are only thinking to change things in her job, she'll say "goodbye italy" as soon as possible, following my steps.

Bye you all.
Stefano

Posted by: Stefano Valenti | January 2, 2006 04:53 PM

Dear Marcello and dear Beppe,
I am in the exact same condition on a golden exhile... I moved from Italy because of no job opportunities (at least not exciting ones). I am now giving my contribution in terms of work here in NYC. I would love to move back but it just doesn't seem possible due to the lack of work opportunities in my field.
I am from Roma and I am a licensed Architect, in the past I have been working for the Universita' La Sapienza and Universita' Roma 3. I am now working for big Firm with an adequate salary and I dream about opening my own architectural practice in Italy but from what I hear that's quite nasty environment right now...

Posted by: Marcello Ferri | January 1, 2006 09:09 PM

Dear Marcello and dear Beppe,
I am from Roma and I am a licensed Architect, in the past I have been working for the Universita' La Sapienza and Universita' Roma 3 I am now working for big Firm with an adequate salary.

Posted by: Marcello Ferri | January 1, 2006 09:01 PM

Dear Marcello and Beppe,
I applaud your courage to denounce the Italian university system for what it is: a very corrupt and nepotistic system. I’m sending to your Blog a partial letter I sent to JUSTResponse, an online journal dedicated to defend the voiceless of the world.
Italy's vampire universities
A letter from David Aliaga, Calgary
Dear Editor,
I read David Petrie's comments about the RAI 3 journalist's investigation into academic research in Italy. I want to make some comments about Italian universities, since I myself have been fighting a protracted battle for my own human and academic rights against the Mafia system that corrodes and pervades Italian universities.
I believe that if you want to understand why Italian universities are in such a rut, there are just a few words which can clearly describe it: power, corruption and nepotism. Yes, power, corruption and nepotism best describe the condition of the Italian university system. The inability or the adamant refusal of university leaders and professors to relinquish power and try to minimize corruption and outright nepotism has been for many years the bane of development for Italian universities.
I call many of those hijacked universities or departments vampire universities or vampire departments. Yes, vampire universities/departments because they suck the vitality out of the life of young and idealistic researchers and students, as well as taxpayers' money. The vampire university is simply a university or department which has been hijacked by a phalanx of bandits and crooks who would use the instruments and bureaucracy of the university machinery to enrich and maintain themselves and their cronies in their positions and exclude everybody else.
When I see the mess in Italian universities, I find it humiliating as it deprecates my pride and dignity as an academic and researcher of Italian origin.
Regarding my own case, readers should consult: Doctoral Torture http://www.justresponse.net/doctoral_torture.html (a comprehensive interview conducted by JUST Response editor Domenico Pacitti), and A Researchers' Charter: A Paradigm Leap? http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_development/issue/articles/3570/researchers_charter_a_paradigm_leap/ (an article in Science by Anne Forde).
David Aliaga

Posted by: David Aliaga | December 27, 2005 08:58 PM

well, you are quite right doing what you have done..
I'm in the same situation but in australia.
I got a job in the university of melbourne for doing research on the soil moisture (I'm an environmental engineer)
by the way, if you wanna do a phd here you earn 1.800 $ per month, much more than you can get in italy
I'm seriously thinking about staying here and starting it
well done mate!

Posted by: daniele biasioni | December 27, 2005 06:54 AM

I shot that same picture in front of Half Dome, three weeks ago. It's the cool part of doing research...hiking trips on the side of conferences.

Matteo,
NYC

Posted by: Matteo | December 26, 2005 11:54 PM

I left Italy after school to complete my degree in the UK. A much better option to avoid wasting time at La Sapienza, Rome's university.

That was 1990. Will I ever return to live in Italy? Sure, when I retire.

I urge those who are able to do the same to pack their bags and leave.

Posted by: Lawrence Ladomery | December 26, 2005 01:55 PM

The brain drain from Italy has never ended it seems.

I know some oldsters who left Italy and came to the United States in the late 1950s: one (Naples) a neurosurgeon--one of the best in the world, one (Trieste) an expert in computer programming, another (Naples) a top-notch gynecologist and a fourth (Turin) an expert in Asiatic languages. Two of them went back to Italy to retire.

When I asked why they did not stay in Italy to pursue their careers, they said low pay, no prestige, support staff who didn't want to work, lack of innovation, overcomplicated commercial/professional practices and politics everywhere (who you know, who you socialize with, necessity of having connections, etc. --of course this exists in the US too, but not apparently to the extent of Italy).

Posted by: Ann Quinn | December 25, 2005 09:09 PM

@ I hate Swiss workers

Poor you..envy is the only strong feeling left in Italy. Ok..I swear you : everytime I will clean my ass with my money..I will think about you...ehhehehehe

Posted by: Carmine dei Frati | December 23, 2005 07:47 PM

Excellent article about Italy. In Spain exactly the same happens. Sometimes is better to leave unsaid certain things, so that your readers can get the message by themselves.
I would like to recommend you the article "you are losing your privacy fast" and others, found here

Best regards and congratulations
Javier Martí

Posted by: Javier Martí | December 23, 2005 06:26 PM

Well..after 3 years in Germany for my PhD in Biology should I really go back to Italy? Maybe to go back to live with mama and papa? And what about my wife? No way!

Actually, I got a contract as Researcher in Swiss.

With that money I live in a wonderful flat, with my wife (yet unemployed) and we save anyway a lot of money each month. Good for the holidays!

Thanks Italy for the preparation your University gave me and see you never again, neither for holidays, because you´re too much expensive!

Posted by: carmine dei frati | December 23, 2005 11:28 AM

A volte ho la sensazione che chi soffre di piu sono quelli che sono rimasti precari in Italia, non i
cervelli in fuga che si stanno realizzando all'estero. In bocca al lupo a chi e' rimasto, e cerca di tener duro :-)

saluti,
Michele
MIT, Boston

Posted by: michele zanolin | December 23, 2005 03:28 AM

il 28 dicembre parto...vado a vivere e lavorare in germania...
sono molto legato all'italia...ma ritengo che questa, al momento, sia la decisione migliore...

Posted by: zava | December 23, 2005 12:18 AM

Beh che dire.. un altro italiano a fare le fortune degli maericani. Chei scrive e' un chimico che per fare il chimico e' dovuto andare in Inghilterra, e adesso negli US ATlanta (dove almeno sei pagato meglio che in italia per quello che fai e in particolare per quello che ti piace fare). E' interessante notare come chi paga le tasse in italia riesca a far diventare prospera un altra nazione... complimenti!!!
Fabrizio