Miracle in Milan

dario_fo.jpg

Fo as Mayor of Milan would be a miracle.
One of those things that happen every so often in a lifetime, a great thing.
A ray of light in the smog, in the political economy, in the apathy, in the lack of courage.

An alternative to the interchangeable candidate of the right or of the left.
To the smoothorderlyoilypartycandidate.
To the smoothcosmeticisedalliedpartycandidate.
To skyscrapers and car parks.

Miracles are already happening in the world, in Chile with the election of Bachelet and in Liberia with the election of Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.
Milan has to come back and surprise us, to make us dream.

Fo is honest and honesty should be the discriminating criteria for political choice today in Italy.
We’ve got nothing else.

With Fo, we’ve got the chance to move into Europe, with bicycles on the roads, with parks for the children, with the return of the joy of living, with exhibitions, with the citizens in the centre of every choice about water, energy, the internet.

Fo frightens the right wing and its property developers, and he frightens the left wing and its mouldy internal balances of power.

Fo is frightening.
No-one is talking of Fo.
OK I’m talking about him, using his words, with his fabulous election address:
“I’m not a moderate”,

that I invite you to give out to your friends.

Comments

This will be interesting, please keep us informed.
Raymond B
www.voteswagon.com

Posted by: Raymond B | January 20, 2006 02:25 AM

Answering to Paolo...

I am not sure what Mr. Cricket would say.
I personally tend to agree with Mr. Fo in regards to 9/11, bu I don't believe "to deserve" is the right verb though.

9/11 has been a consequence of the world's attitude towards certain problems.

If we believe we can make a difference in the positive when WE put all our energy into something, then we must reflect on what WE are doing when things like that happen.
It's too easy to justify the former as results of the "good will" and blame the others on something like "bad luck".
Even worse is to blame them on the "bad guys".

I believe we can create our reality and therefore I take responsability when reality "stinks".
Only my fare share, of course... :)

Posted by: Dario | January 19, 2006 03:53 PM

Politika Italika >> Dario Fo Sindaco Yes!!!!!

Caro Beppe, ti rendi conti che Ť impossibile?

SuperBoubo

Posted by: Riccardo Colombini | January 18, 2006 09:22 PM

La pessima ex-cirielli genererŗ circa 35.000 prescrizioni. Ora che dice Grillo, questi trentacinquemila prescritti sono tutti incandidabili?

www.francesconardi.it

Posted by: www.francesconardi.it | January 18, 2006 07:20 PM

This is for the so-called reader Davide Chierici who says that hardly anyone reads this blog in English. I read it in English, my students read the articles because I used them instead of boring text book material, and even if there aren't that many comments it doesn't mean to say that the readership is too small to warrant translation. Anyone would think Davide had to do or pay for the translations himself!

Posted by: Maureen Lister | January 18, 2006 04:49 PM

Mr. Grillo,
I have a quick question? do you really think in Fo's honesty when he is a person that after 9/11 on Corriere della Sera admitted that the US had deserved that tragedy as consequence of their imperialism and their aggressiveness? I am sorry but I don't believe in his honesty. If you regret the war and the violence and have spent all your life accusing all those dogs of the wars you don't, then, discriminate among the victims resulting from these awful actions. An american victim is like an african or an asian victim because she is "ONLY" a human being. And if Mr. Fo really cared about human beings as he says he would stand up for life in any circumstances, otherwise that's again the idea of "volemose bene" that Mr. Fo has regretted for his entire life.
I am sorry but I do hope Mr. Fo can keep his intellectual talent for what he knows most "being a modern giullar".
Thanks!

Posted by: Paolo | January 18, 2006 01:53 PM

Mr. Grillo,
Thanks!

Posted by: Paolo | January 18, 2006 01:53 PM

Davide, I like this english blog, because it's not so messy and agressive as the italian version! I'm also interested in opinions from abroad! Therefore, I read with pleasure this page and try to write down my opinions, even though my english is very lame!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | January 18, 2006 12:28 PM

There are many people, almost half of the planet actually, that do not speak Italian.

I think it's worth the effort to keep them informed.

I live abroad as well and if it wasn't for initiatives like this one, I wouldn't have a clue of what is really happening in Italy.

Outside Italy, only a selected few care / know about it besides went it comes to go there for a holiday.

The base URL defaults to the Italian version. Perhaps your IP is not mapped as 'Italian' and the site does an automatic switch.
Try clering cache and cookies.

Posted by: Dario | January 18, 2006 11:59 AM

hey ma se il blog in inglese non lo legge quasi nessuno e i post ricevono raramente piu di 10 commenti, mentre il blog in italiano ha ogni giorno centinaia di commenti, xke ti ostini a tenere anche la versione in inglese che nessuno legge? e per di piu compare prima quella inglese di quella italiana!! inutile! devi andare a cliccare sulla bandierina tricolore..mah.. non voglio essere offensivo ne niente ma cmq a me sembra inutile il blog in inglese

Posted by: Davide Chierici | January 18, 2006 10:21 AM

I don't know much about the mayor of Milan. However, I came across a site that said say no to Fo, I don't know why they had this opinion, there was no reasoning behind it. I would like to learn more about him.
Raymond B
www.voteswagon.com

Posted by: Raymond B | January 18, 2006 03:25 AM

People say it doesnít exist
ícause no one would like to admit
That there is a city underground
Where people live everyday
Off the waste and decay
Off the discards of their fellow man
Here in subcity life is hard
We canít receive any government relief
Iíd like to please give mr president my honest regards
For disregarding me

They say thereís too much crime in these city streets
My sentiments exactly
Government and big business hold the purse strings
When I worked I worked in the factories
Iím at the mercy of the world
I guess Iím lucky to be alive

They say weíve fallen through the cracks
They say the system works
But we wonít let it
Help
I guess they never stop to think
We might not just want handouts
But a way to make an honest living
Living this ainít living

What did I do deserve this
Had my trust in god
Worked everyday of my life
Thought I had some guarantees
Thatís what I thought
At least thatís what I thought

Last night I had another restless sleep
Wondering what tomorrow might bring
Last night I dreamed
A cold blue light was shining down on me
I screamed myself awake
Thought I must be dying
Thought I must be dying

Tracy Chapman

Posted by: Simone Bianchini | January 18, 2006 01:43 AM

Hello.
The support i give to Dario Fo in his political adventure, is the same i put in the mass-email operation called "Stop censure. Grillo to Festival of Sanremo 2006".
An organizative blog has been created at this address:
Frequent it to know next steps of operation.

I hope that strangers frequenting Beppe's web space will follow us in this challenge, to ask at RAI, the national broadcasting company, to invite him in last evening of Festival of Sanremo 2006, the major italian tv show and the last official tv invitation for our dear Grillo.
Win this challenge is the first effect we can obtain by direct democracy and it's the first prove RAI can give to Italy about its non-regimed state.
I invite all of you to adere at this cause, important for true democracy in Italy.
Thanks.

Roby Rubini

Posted by: roby rubini | January 18, 2006 01:26 AM

I love this guy.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 18, 2006 01:17 AM

Il Blog e' molto interessante ma non voglio piu' ricevere messaggi di posta. Non ho trovato un pulsante o un link per cancellare l'iscrizione al servizio di notifica. Per favore introducetelo al piu' presto e sospendete il servizio per il mio indirizzo email.

grazie