Modern Slaves

senza futuro.jpg

"The Biagi Law has produced extraordinary results, but like everything else things could be better and it can be perfected." Silvio Berlusconi.

"We can see that the law is effective above all for the protection of the weakest, in particular for the employment of women." Roberto Maroni.

"The Biagi Law is helping to establish permanent employment.”  Maurizio Sacconi, Welfare Undersecretary.

“ If in Italy we have a ‘the lowest percentage level of unemployment’ due to ‘courageous reforms’ put in place by the Government in respect of employment and ‘in particular the one named after the martyr Biagi…’ the alternative is not between a contract for an indefinite time and flexibility but between flexibilities’ which still have to be stabilised, and ‘precariousness’ ”. Gianfranco Fini.

To summarise, they all agree: the Biagi law = protection of the weak, permanent jobs, flexibility and extraordinary results.

That’s as may be, but I feel that this law is a step backwards from slavery. In 1850 the cost of a slave in America was 1,000 dollars, equivalent to 38,000 dollars at today’s prices. That’s an investment worth protecting. The slave had to be instructed in the work he had to do. Over time his health had to be looked after.

The Biagi Law,  Co.Co.Co. and Co.Co.Pro have brought insecurity and starvation-level salaries. It was better to be a slave in the deep south. At least they could have a family. The slogan “All work, work less” has almost been achieved. Italy has been transformed into a nation of precarious workers, of under-employed and of unemployed.  Of university people answering the telephone in call centres at 5 Euro per hour.

The fairy tales of the casa circondariale della libertà (play with words between prison and “Casa della libertà”) about employment deserve a reply.

I invite all those who are victims of the Biagi law to tell their story and send it as a comment to this Post.

I’ll print them out and put them into a single volume that I’ll send to all the Party Secretaries.

Comments

I am Nigerian and I just received a scholarship to study Msc Mechanical Engineering at the Politecnico di Milano Univerisity. I have a B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering from Nigeria. Please I need advice on my prospect of securing a job in and outside italy on completion of my course.

I will appreciate if responses are sent to my e-mail: famousmech@gmail.com

The course is starting in October 2008.

Thank you all.

Posted by: osarobo okhuahesogie | July 18, 2008 05:18 PM

Having seen Beppe Grillo last night in Florence I was inspired this morning to look at his blog and to read about some of the issues which he is addressing. While many are interesting I wanted to post to “Modern Slaves” because I am privileged to run with my husband a small but growing internet business in Italy. In the last year we have grown enough to have started employing and I hope that in sharing our experiences to further everyone’s knowledge of the difficulties which exist in finding employment in Italy.

Having surmounted the difficulties of a start-up business we started a year ago to look the financial consequences of hiring staff in Italy. I am not Italian, but have worked in Italy (co-co-co for 5 years), and abroad (both through temp agencies and with regular contracts). We obviously looked at all the options available.

While all this was happening the Biagi Law was introduced as were the “Sector Studies” which tax individual professionals and companies on the basis of extremely complex formula which decide how much your company should have earned.

The results of these two events were that we were trying to make decisions about the future of our company without:

1) having any reliable information about how much corporate tax we were going to have to pay at the end of the year
2) seeing any real change on the high payroll taxes for employers
3) finding any opportunity to explore innovative alternatives which would allow us to hire as we grow and still protect the rights of any new employee.

My conclusion has been that the Biagi Law has provided no real change in terms of facilitating our ability to hire people at this critical time, in fact it has just increased the complexity and time needed to assess possibilities without providing any really new ideas. The advent of taxation based on “Sector Studies” has compounded the problem by raising the level of uncertainty.

While the co-co-co of previous years was a terrible situation which many here refer to, it seems to me that the real drama in the Biagi law was what THEY DID NOT DO, rather than what they did.

Posted by: Mig Berry | March 4, 2006 09:48 PM

Hi,
I have worked under this 'slavery' contract for the last 5 years, I've never received a pay rise or any recognition of my work, I'm 35 years old, English mother tongue,well educated, have extensive business experience and earn the same as I did in 1989 in the UK, but pay double the tax.

It's terrible that I can't even think about having children, because I can't stop working and don't get any maternity pay - is it a such a big surprise that there aren't any babies in Italy ?

This week I found out that I have got Pnuemonia (polmonite), I got this because I had to work whilst ill and couldn't afford to heat my house because of the ridiculous gas prices (but that's another story...) obvioulsy I receive zero sick pay from my employer or the state. How am I expected to survive financially ??? I can't believe that this kind of situation can exist in western society in 2006, it's something I took for granted as a British person for all my life, my friends and family are completely shocked at how little I earn and that I can't have any normal benefits from my employer (paid holiday for example, my job closes in August,I have no salary in September because no one will give me a job for one month) I imagined Italy would be a great place to live, I came here to live with my boyfriend, who has never had more than a 6 month job contract in his life, he is unemployed for the 3rd time in 9 months......

People who come to live here should be warned about this, as it is a massive shock for people who come from more 'balanced' societies.

With sadness, frustration and anger

Claire.

Posted by: Claire Cotton | February 25, 2006 03:04 PM

Hello Luca,
quite a post your post even if I found in it some discrepancies along the way.
Through the posting you constantly talk about luckiness.
Uhmm, I thought that business should be more about competence and knowledge, the right people at the right places. I must have read too many business books then.
While we are discussing about our country situation you suggest moving on and go abroad. Yes we can, but does this solve the Italian issue? I seriously doubt.
You say we should get a great experience abroad and after a couple of years come back. You wish!
I am currently living abroad for 5 years and a half with my husband (which is living abroad for 7 years now). I hold a degree (vecchio ordinamento), a master post degree, an MBA and 6 years of experience abroad with top multinationals.
Wonder what? I apply for jobs in Italy and they even do not send an email back saying no thanks.
My husband is an engineer plenty of great experiences and certifications same for him.
I can carry on with several other examples, since the Italian community is pretty big here. All of us have degrees, masters, PhD, MBA and all of us somehow are not enough good for Italy; not even to get a nice polite email that says sorry pall no chance for you next time around.
You are so right saying that it is necessary to do something.
First, clear transparent hiring processes based on CVs and interviews; second clear salary indications when a job is posted, as it happens in the rest of Europe. Business is all about I give to you my skills, time, knowledge, energy and you give to me money, career, personal development and affiliation.
Third, we start to do like in other countries do. First one year contract renewable for another year and then if I am the right person for the organization you make up your mind and you hire me permanently. But since the beginning of the first contract there be is normal salary level.
Fourth, time is money you pay me 8 hours I work max 8.45 then you have to pay my time.
Last but not least let’s stop to talk about luckiness. A healthy democracy must and I say must provide work for its citizens (including of course the natural level of unemployment).
If this is not happening something is ill wrong and you do not need a degree in political science to understand why.

Take care,

M.G.

Posted by: Maena Gambaiani | February 23, 2006 02:42 PM

Hi folks,
I am a physiotherapist living and working in the Uk for the last 7 tears. I am italian and I bless my decision to have moved over here. In italy my work wasn't neither satisfactory nor well paied.
Of course gaining registration and status in the UK hasn't being the easiest, but once got into the system it has being very easy to climb up the career ladder and to grow professionally.
I do feel proud of being italian but I just feel profoundly sorry about the state of our political scenario. Italy still have to grow out of the 2nd world war and understanding what has led to this pityful situation.
Free state, no religious ingerences!!!
cheers pals
ilaria

Posted by: ilaria morganti barnett | February 23, 2006 11:33 AM

I was reading the posts in the italian section and i noticed how so many people claim they deserve a good job only because of their 110 at uni.
this law is bad, no doubt, but we cannot forget that most of the people do nothing while at university and once finished they can do nothing and are very presumptuous expecting a position as supermanagers waiting for them at the door.
people of our age in other countries get involved in so many activities that once they graduate they have a complete set of skills and experiences.
italian young graduate should think of what they've been doing while studing before crying out there is no future

Posted by: maria C | February 22, 2006 06:48 PM

I've been in Italy for almost 4 years, moved here from the States to be with my husband. In that time, I've only been able to secure work as, of course, an English Teacher, working measly hours for pittance. Thankfully my husband earns enough to put a roof over our head. He's self-employed in the computer field, he's even strugling at times.

Posted by: Ann Borgers | February 22, 2006 02:06 PM

Hi, I'm a mothertongue English speaker with Italian origins. I graduated last year in business and languages from a Scottish university and couldn't wait to come and find a job in Italy... I thought being fluent in 3 languages, having more than 10 years work experience (part-time) in various sectors and having been actively involved in many different associations and clubs at University and school I wouldn't have too much trouble finding a job, maybe in some big multi-national. Well, I was living in a little dream world! 7 months later, after sending hundreds of cvs I find myself teaching English for 4 or 5 hours a week, still waiting to sign any kind of contract and lucky if I earn a hundred euros a month. As much as I still cling to my love for the Italian 'Dolce Vita' my illusions have been shattered and although the job market in Britain is also not easy I'm going to take my luck there. This situation makes me sad and I'm sorry that so many Italians want to escape their country but I understand them!

Posted by: Vicki Giacopazzi | February 21, 2006 10:34 PM

Hi Everybody! I'm trying too to find a job outside of Italy, but you need very good english, and very good skills. I remenber one company called me for one job in the netherlands for 80 thousand euro per year but we couldn't understand each other on the phone, and obviously i didn't get the job. Now I'm in the United States, I'm visiting my girlfrend in Princeton, but without a work visa the only job I could find was work in an Italian restaurant to clean the tables (a waiter needs good english) for 5 dollars per hour, under the table. Now I'll go back to Italy, and I'll try to find another job. I'm 30 years old, I finished my bachelor's degree in electronic engineering in 2000, and I changed 5 jobs in 6 years (4 years of which I worked), and I worked in three different towns: Rome, Bologna and Milan. Some of it was my fault too, i didn't like some jobs, but when you have to change towns, take temporary jobs, earn 1000 euro per month, and you don't like the job too do you feel happy? Here in the United States the job market is worse, permanent jobs don't really exist , anyone can lose his job; but at the same time in Italy the job market is closed, the company can't send away employees (art. 18), then they don't take any other permanent employees, and when there is problem send them away:
I mean, if you start to work now, there isn't any possibility to be better in the future, you'll be always the B category of employee, only if you are very smart or very lucky to find a permanent job.
Then: either get rid of art. 18, or get rid of the Biagi law

Posted by: Marco Savo | February 21, 2006 07:47 PM

Well.. Raffaella, thanks for not leaving me alone in this request for a bit of respect of this ENGLISH space of the blog...

For the ones who've got problems with the Italian blogsite, either try later or click on the "reload" button of the navigation toolbar.
Thank you in anticipation.

Posted by: Emmanuele Da Iglesias | February 21, 2006 07:23 PM

Why don't you write in english? I think this is the english version of this Blog! My english is really not so good, but I try to write in english, so that everybody can understand what I have to say!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | February 21, 2006 07:13 PM

hi all,
comparing italy with other countries i have to say something on master degrees.
i am studyin fo for a Msc in scotland for only £4000 and i have first quality lecturers and materials to work with. in itlay a master is at least more than twice and after working as a researcher at politecnico di milano (co.co.co. obviously) i have serious doubts on the abilities of politecnico's staff.

the discussion is on whether to move abroad to work, i'll extend it on whethet to study abroad!
what do you think?

Posted by: Maria C | February 21, 2006 07:09 PM

ti aspettiamo

baci tanti
marta soles

Posted by: marta soles | February 21, 2006 07:04 PM

mi vengono i brividi nel leggere la stuazione di molti laureati come me.
Io ho 29, mi sono laureato in Calabria nel 2003, quindi sono andato in vacanza da alcuni cugini a San Francisco. Ho deciso di rimanerci e mettere su famiglia.
Lavoro come cameriere e manager di un ristorante italiano, guadagno quasi 4000 dollari e più al mese (dipende da quanto ho voglia di lavorare).
Lavoro anche in un altro ristorante due giorni a settimana, e vado ad aiutare un altro amico un giorno a settimana (sempre ristoranti italiani).
Sto progettando di aprire il mio ristorante, ma devo aspettare ancora un po' (i miei amici dopo tre anni di esperienza hanno avuto finanziamenti di centinaia di migliaia di dollari senza NESSUNA garanzia, solo il 20% sotto, e con carte di credito).
Questa è flessibilità. Sono emigrato e felice della scelta, specie leggendo i vostri post.
Sapeste quanto sono rispettati gli italiani all'estero. Che tristezza, pero' sentrsi incapaci di dare qualcosa indietro alla terra che mi ha dato i natali, educato e istruito con quel patrimonio culturale che posso sfruttare qui e fare una banca di soldi con una facilità davvero incredibile, a confronto con i vostri sacrifici.
Se siete liberi da legami sentimentali, pensateci seriamente all'idea di andare a vedere come è fatto il mondo. Potete sempre ritornare, con un grande bagaglio culturale e magari la conoscenza di una lingua.

Posted by: Ugo lewis | February 21, 2006 06:52 PM

This post from Beppe Grillo finally gives an idea of the working conditions in Italy for all those people living abroad that would like to go to live in our nation.
They would finally see that we are slowly and steadly going toward the status of a Third World Country thank to our stupid politicians.
You still want to live in Italy?
Don't tell us we didn't warn you.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | February 21, 2006 06:07 PM

Hi there,
I lived 6 years in London and during last 5 years I've lived in Spain and what's happening globally is the same trend people is experiencing in Italy. Since the industrial revolution we know that our freedom to choose what to do in our life is directly linked with our salaries. What's next? Is capitalism coming to an end soon? Are we going to be ready soon for the social system break up? How long intelligent and conscious people are going to stand this?....please let me know what do you think...

Posted by: Nicolino Di Battista | February 21, 2006 05:30 PM

1778 commenti sul post di oggi? e come hanno fatto - provo da tutto il giorno e non riesco a entrare!

qualcuno sa come fare?

Posted by: claudia preda | February 21, 2006 05:04 PM

Ciao Beppe!
Ecco a voi un'esperienza dall'estero.
I ho 29 anni e sono in Irlanda da 8 mesi.Quando ho finito le superiori (diploma in elettronica e telecomunicazioni) ho fatto due di corsi gratuti alla regione per entrare nel ramo dell'informatica.Appena finito sono stato chiamato a lavorare presso una compagnia con un contratto cococo.Io rinuncia ad un'assunzione a tempo indeterminato per un contratto a termine più remunerativo.Fatto sta che comincia la mia carriera da precario,ma volutamente.Dopo tre anni il mio stipendio raddoppiò.Poi però arrivò l'euro e l'europa. Le aziende cominciarono a dover risparmiare e lo facevano sulla qualità dei dipendenti e consulenti, in quanto ormai un neolaureato costa meno di un diplomato con un po' di esperienza lavorativa. Fatto sta che il mio stipendio a gennaio dello scorso anno era lo stesso di quattro anni prima ma le mie spese erano quasi raddoppiate.Mi volevano anche assumere,ma il mio stipendio ne avrebbe molto risentito.Allora ho deciso di emigrare perche' una delle cose buone dell'europa e' che per lavorare all'estero non servono permessi.
Ora sto a Dublino, dove i cococo non esistono. Ho trovato un lavoro a tempo indeterminato dopo 4 mesi.Da quando sono in questa ditta (poco più di 3 mesi) 6 persone hanno lasciato il loro lavoro a tempo indeterminato anche non avendone un'altro a disposizione.Io guadagno il doppio che in Italia.
Adesso un po' di domande.
1.Io decisi di non farmi assumere perchè io ne traevo vantaggio.Ma il mio vantaggio era la metà di quello che avevano le aziende.Allora perche' di solito decide l'azienda che io debba essere precario?
2.Qui la flessibilità c'è più che in italia perchè la fa il dipendente che cambia lavoro per migliorare sempre, non il datore imponendogli di cambiare per ottenere LUI vantaggi economici.Servono davvero contratti di quel tipo per avere flessibilità?
3.Qui sono in pieno boom economico e potrebbero permettersi i cococo.Perchè non li fanno allora?
Grazie
Maurizio

Posted by: Maurizio Piccini | February 21, 2006 04:53 PM

About Raffaella Ruta’s post

I moved to Dublin more than one year ago and here I have a very good job as IT Consultant.

It's NOT true that for an Italian graduated guy is easy to find good work opportunities here. It's not nice to say but there's a kind of "light-racism" in the job market against Italians and Spanish. This is the real life. Let's see the IT market: here a 23 years old fella has (normally) a Bachelor degree and 2 years of working experience. Why a company has to hire a Laurea graduated (5 years) Italian 26yo with no real working experience and elementary English? You can find lot of complains of unsatisfied REAL Italian young people in the forum www.altrairlanda.it ; who think or talk about Ireland as wonderland (IMHO) doesn't face the truth.

You can find a better job than a sandwich engineer if you have experience (in Italy or elsewhere) and if you have something in your CV that it's interesting and not easy to find.

Best of Luck to everybody who will try to find a job abroad,
Filippo

Posted by: Filippo Vitale | February 21, 2006 03:23 PM

Hi everyone!
I haven’t got a story as you guys have. I want to explain my experience because I want to convince the majority of you to leave Italy.
When I finished my secondary school I choose the working path because, although I wanted to continue my studies, I didn't really know jet what I wanted to study.
With a diploma (A Grade) as Chemical Biological Technician I found a job in a company printing calendars (2 months). The second job was in a chemical Laboratory with a temporary contract of 6 months, €800/month and with zero perspectives of permanent employment. In the third and last job in Italy I was selling (quite famous) housing cleaning machines door to door. I was paid with commissions from my selling (very poor because absolutely against the ethic of the job) and working up to 12hs a day. I lasted 7months.
In those 13months of Italian job experience the situation was clear: no money, dependant on my parents, unable to leave my house, struggling to find a permanent job and nil career perspectives. With just a diploma of technician (A grade) my possibilities to find a job (in theory) were higher because I own good skills and employees could pay less. That was not enough and after few considerations and an offer to move to London from my (present) flatmate, I recognized that I didn't really have nothing to loose.
And so I did it (with a very little initial financial help from parents).
Now it's 3 years I am living in London independently! I am studying at the university (Sociology and EU Politics Studies) and I work part-time in the weekends. In the summer time I do placement work (2 jobs at time though) to gain experience for my career.

In Italy at the moment is happening a liberalisation of the work market at the expenses of (at most) the youth. Accordingly with an EU publication (http://europa.eu.int/comm/economy_finance/publications/european_economy/2005/eesp105en.pdf) the level of unemployment (especially long-term unemployment which is the worst) in Italy has decreased in the last years. These trends have been characterized by a steadily decreasing in temporary employment protection legislation but with a slightly increasing in work training and a steadily increase in benefits.
It is quite difficult to explain a 130page’s rapport in few lines so I would suggest you to have a look at it because it is interesting.
Conclusion: probably what is happening in Italy at the moment is not as bad as people say. The price for these changes is the ending of sure employment, which should be backed up with a good system of education and unemployment benefits (which is not really the case in Italy at the moment).
Finally, what I think is better to do now from an individualistic point of view is TO LEAVE.

Posted by: Diego Canciani | February 21, 2006 12:55 PM

on the link above (or below) there's an article searched through the malaysian version of msn (www.msn.com.my)

might seem strange...the article incites Beppe Grillo do continue with his illuminating job of "underground knowledge spreading"
it made me so proud of being italian!!!!
well speaking about the Biagi Law...it depends on the cases...i'm too ignorant to stiputale if it actually made things worse cause for my part, and the part of others i know, we were lucky enough to pass to the Co.Co.Pro. period for a relative short amount of time and to be given another more economicly rewarding contract later on.
probably with all the shit running through europe and the rest of the world...i wasn't expecting a "class a" wage in the first 2 years of work...now the company for which i work (ENI) is taking me seriously, and i see in the far end future even some good prospects.
this doesn't mean i only see the good side of things cause i'm a lucky person...this just wanted to be a short testimonial (of a lucky person)

now onto the political part...even if the biagi law sucks shit (sorry for my rudeness...but it's the most direct way of making yourself understand) what other proposals have we got from other parties?

what other illuminating programs do our politicians have in mind to make us become rich bold and beatiful in the shortest amount of time?

the situation is, i believe, to be very complicated. and as others users say, it's not about lamenting and protesting only that things get done. God is up there and stays up there for he things he gave us all the means to be happy here...

the point is that we have to search for them, i too found companies that were going to hire me giving me only mininum salary, this happens everywhere in the world...from Kuala Lumpur to Houston. some are unlucky and are forced to accept that, but the other lucky ones that have the time to search and find something better they should do so. and quicky, cause competition is arising minute by minute.

it's easy to speak, and much less tiring...but we have to act...really! we have to get off our couches and start moving our asses to and fro, with the internet curriculums can be sent to millions of places. and if italy doesn't do for you, don't be afraid to work in another country, and then later on to come back with a greater experience to make your home country, your PATRIA a real better place to live in.

Beppe Grillo can shout, oh he cah, all he wants, cause he's moved and worked since he started walking (i suppose) but us graduate students, new workers, we'll have to fight in silence to get things done the proper way.

Posted by: Luca Piccardi | February 21, 2006 12:49 PM

@Mauro
You said we must *adapt* ourselves to the new world. I prefer to say we must build all together our new world, we must create a new mentality, we must believe that another world is possible.
To get that, more than anything else, we must to fire this crooked political class!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | February 21, 2006 11:59 AM

Dear all,
reading the post and the replies of all (OK I've not read every single reply...) I must confess that I started laughing. Where do you believe you're living? All these screams around the bad laws, the bad employers (no, I'm not an employer), the bad politicians... Is there somebody here in Italy that do realize that the world is changing (including politicians)? Let's stop crying on ourselves and start to do something! Act! All these discussions make me think of boiled frogs minds and declining society. Too many people lamenting and pretending the world cannot/must not change. Why don't we start a new cultural movement to change our minds and **adapt** in this new world? Why don't we change the way **we** think? Why don't we change the way we teach to our children?

Posted by: Mauro | February 21, 2006 11:17 AM

@ Dario
I'm psychologist. Here is my diagnosis:
Our politicians suffers from a very serious syndrome: The motherfucker syndrome. A incurable disease
Symptoms: Irresistible compulsion to steal, inclination for misrepresentation of facts, inborn dishonesty.
Advised treatment: Political euthanasia.
;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | February 21, 2006 11:13 AM

Hi everybody!!

I'm a recent graduate in Aerospace engineering, I actually graduated in July 2005, more than 6 months ago, with the maximum grade 110/110 cum laude. I rushed through my university years, ending my studies in the exact predicted time (5 years). I've been looking for a job all over the world since I knew it wouldn't be easy in Italy. Well, I received an answer back from every company outside our country and I'm in a sort of contact with them. It seems like they tend to prefer their graduate engineers, which is more likely and right to be!!! At least they ANSWER BACK(even though it's an automatic reply), and they show the positions and salaries one would get once hired: somethin unbelievable compared to ours! Moreover most of the foreign companies organize specific Young Graduate Trainees every year: they select the "best" graduate (really!!! not just because you know somebody)and they train them for at least one year, making them being part of the company, learn how to work and get the experience they need. In the meantime a graduate receives a salary which allows him to get decently his living, so he hasn't to stay at home till 30, he can have a family, he can live on his own!!! On the contrary, in Italy, you never know if a company will answer you back, the salaries offered are more likely to pay the company for letting you work!! And then, our companies want experienced people, they justify the contracts in this way but at the same time they assign the highest responsibilities to young graduates!!!! Well, all of this gets me very upset and our government keeps talking about young people and their importance for the country future, while most of the young people want or have to go abroad to find better living conditions. About Biagi's Law, I read it and I believe it offers young people great opportunities, but, as it usually happens here, every company used it to spend as less money as possible for people hiring!!!!
Well, thank Beppe for the opportunity you give us, bye to everybody!!

Posted by: Raffaele Russo | February 21, 2006 10:51 AM

Dear Beppe,
as you suggested I'm going to tell my story as a new modern slave (a.k.a. Co.Co.Pro.).
I am an engineer (old order degree) and I got a Master degree in Business Administration.
As the result of my studies, luckily I began to work soon after my degree...but without receiving a pay. I wrote "luckily" because many of my collegues had to wait much more than me for the first not-payed job. Of course I accepted that situation because of my lack of job experience and, luckily again, after working almost one year, I found a new job in a consulting company. During the interview they told me that after a training period of about 4 months they would have hired me with an open-term contract. As you can imagine that promise wasn't kept: after less than one month of training they recognized that I didn't actually need a training and they "sent" me to work at customers'. I was happy when they told me their decision because I saw my abilities recognized, at least! After the first good surprise I had a bad one: instead with an open-term contract I was hired with a 6 month Co.Co.Pro. contract with a gross salary of 850 euros!!Moreover I've been searching for a new job since my "surprise day" but the only answer I've been receiving is "You're "overskillata" (i.e. overskilled)".
Now I'm wondering if I'd better search for a job abroad or, at least, for a cleaner position in Italy (I would be better paid!).
Sincerely,
Ilaria

Posted by: Ilaria | February 21, 2006 10:09 AM

I'm sorry but there aren't words to explain that in english....

Salve a tutti,
Sono uno studente di ingegneria e volevo scrivere in questo blog per raccontarvi di come la paura di non trovare un lavoro in Italia mi abbia spinto ad intraprendere un corso di doppia laurea tra Francia e Italia.
Perch‚ deve essere cosi ovvio che per trovare lavoro bisogna andarsene dal proprio paese?
Quando dovro' scegliere se restare in Italia o lavorare in Francia quali parametri dovrei usare secondo voi?
"In Italia si mangia bene e siamo tutti sorridenti" dicono i miei colleghi di stage a Parigi e io come sempre rispondo "in Italia purtroppo non c'‚ più un c.... da ridere".
In Francia, Irlanda e in altri paesi ingegneri o dottori in economia sono ricercatissimi e ben pagati...mio padre stesso ( con la disperazione di mia madre )mi incita ogni gorno a scapparmene dall'Italia!!!!
Vi sembra una cosa naurale?

Posted by: Raffaele Ruta | February 21, 2006 10:08 AM

Hi Beppe,
it would be nice if you can introduce the option to send your postings to several addresses at the same time.
I wanted to send Modern Slaves to a nice bunch of people, but it is not possible. One by one it is quite a job.
Do you think your technicians could make it?

Take care,

M.G.

Posted by: Maena Gambaiani | February 21, 2006 09:56 AM

I'm sorry I posted in italian but.. Beppe it seems I can't post on the italian version.. C ya guys

Posted by: Corrado Grappiolo | February 21, 2006 09:19 AM

Ciao. Vivevo a Savona e sono andato a studiare informatica a Milano. Ho vissuto in una casa dello studente, non avevo un lavoro ne' risparmi, mi "ammazzavo" di studio per ottenere qualche borsa di studio per poter sopravvivere, inutile dire che anno dopo anno il numero delle borse e il loro valore scendeva vistosamente. Verso la fine del quinto anno mi son pure dovuto "ridurre" a cercare qualche lavoro. Mi laureo e devo lasciare la casa dello studente. Ho cercato di entrare in qualche dottorato di ricerca ma grazie alle finanziarie sciagurate le possibilita' erano tante quante quelle di trovare vita intelligente nel parlamento. Mi hanno detto "l'unica possibilita' e' fare il dottorato senza borsa", cioe': lavoro in universita' e anche fuori. I miei amici hanno iniziato a fare concorsi dappertutto, io non ho potuto e ho deciso a malincuore di cercare un lavoro come informatico. Quando frequentavo il primo anno di universita' girava questa voce: "A Milano cercano VENTIMILA informatici, il lavoro si trova".. see come no. Ho sostenuto 2 colloqui, presso due delle 4 o 5 ditte che di solito chiamano i laureati. mi hanno offerto un contratto a cococo o come si dice. sei mesi pagato a 400 euro al mese, dopodiche' non c'era la sicurezza di avere il posto. A Milano gli affitti per un monolocale minuscolo e in hinterland parte da 600 al mese. Non c'e' bisogno di un computer per capire che c'e' qualcosa che non va'. Cosi' ho avuto solo una possibilita': andare a cercare lavoro all'estero. Un mio amico, uno terribilmente portato per lo studio e l'insegnamento, si e' subito arreso ed e' stato assunto presso queste ditte a pochi euro al mese, ma se non altro lui vive con la famiglia e forse riesce a mettere da parte qualche soldo. Un altro per un po' si e' barcamenato con un assegno universitario spacciato come assegno di ricerca, ma e' caduto anche lui nella trappola. Io son finito a Dublino e ho trovato lavoro in Intel. Vengo pagato molto di piu' dei miei amici e svolgo lo stesso lavoro. E ora sono interessato a riprendere gli studi. Dove? Scandinavia. Siamo ritornati al punto in cui la gente deve emigrare come il secolo scorso. E' una vergogna. Te Saluu Beppe Dagghe Drento!

Posted by: Corrado Grappiolo | February 21, 2006 09:17 AM

Sorry guys. I meant to post the message below in the “Italian” version of this blog. By the way, Beppe…can you tell me why if I want to write in Italian my posting must be of maximum 2000 words whilst if I write in English that cap is lifted?? Are you by any chance saying that Italians do not know how to “keep the story short”??...yeah…I think you are right…

Posted by: Vanessa Bellardinelli | February 21, 2006 05:57 AM

Ciao Beppe e ciao ragazzi. Scusate l’ora: questioni di fuso (orario intendo). Vorrei raccontare la mia esperienza a riguardo. Positiva, ma semplicemente perche’ ho deciso di emigrare verso terre piu’ “promesse” (nel senso che le promesse quando vengono fatte poi sono mantenute). Vivo e lavoro ormai da 6 anni fuori Italia. Sono stata 5 anni a Londra ed ora da un anno vivo in Australia, prima Brisbane poi Melbourne. Grazie alla scelta di emigrare in questi Paesi ho avuto non solo l’opportunita’ di confrontarmi con un’altra mentalita’ e cultura ma anche di perseguire una carriera di successo senza dover necessariamente leccare culi, accettare (o chiedere) raccomandazioni, subire nepotismi e abusi di potere, sottostare a bieche ripicche o, ancor peggio, venire penalizzata per il mio sesso (essendo ingegnere civile ho a che fare soprattutto con colleghi/clienti del sesso opposto). Spinta un pochino dalla nostalgia di casa e dal desiderio di non rimanere un “esiliata” a vita, lo scorso anno ho valutato l’opportunita’ di tornare in Italia. Inutile dire che mi sono scontrata con un muro di gomma: arroganza, disinteresse, maleducazione (la maggior parte non ha neanche risposto alle mie e-mails), maschilismo e, ancor peggio, cirscospezione e spocchiosita'. I posti permanenti meglio scordarseli (tutti i contratti sono a tempo determinato). Di gente che tiene in considerazione la tua esperienza ancor meno. A detta di molti sono “troppo” qualificata...ma che significa? Ve lo dico io che significa. Significa che se uno mi dovesse assumere sulla base della mia esperienza e curriculum allora dovrebbe assumermi in una posizione manageriale (probabilmente la sua!). Ma siccome tutti vogliono assumerti da schiava (la famosa ed infausta “gavetta”, poco importa se gia’ l’hai fatta), allora in tal (non)senso il “troppo qualificata” ha una valenza (si, valenza zero). Tutti saremo sempre troppo qualificati per i baronetti del mercato del lavoro italiano e per i politicanti (non politici) di turno. Noi cosiddetti "giovani" (quando scade il termine di "gioventu' " a proposito?) siamo inutili a prescindere. Troppi grilli (ora anche Beppe!) per la testa dicono. Risultato? Me ne sono andata si’, ma in Australia non in Italia. Qui, come a Londra, ho una posizione di rilievo, guadagno benissimo, faccio una vita di lusso e non devo dire “grazie” a nessuno. Quello che ho me lo sono meritato. Alla faccia di Berlusconi e di tutta la banda Bassotti. Silvio...sai cosa ti dico...ognuno ha quel che si merita, hai ragione. E tu ti meriti un gran bel vafff...ed anche un po' di galera.

Posted by: Vanessa Bellardinelli | February 21, 2006 04:33 AM

That's amazing!
Did you see how quickly the center-right coalition reconcile??!!
Of course, only after one made sure the other would agree upon 5 fundamental issues... this sounds like a blackmail to me, doesn't it?

mmmhhhrrrrrrr.... you bastards!

Posted by: Emmnuele Da Iglesias | February 21, 2006 02:55 AM

Beppe,

the more I read about these things the more it seems clear to me a disturbing scenario.
I am no professional psychologist but I am convinced that if we would ask a psychologist to "diagnose" our Government, they would probably find they suffer from delusions, visions, detachment from reality.

I have a suggestion: is there any doctor out there willing to use science to examine our specimen/employees and let us know their findings?

I would suggest NOT to start from Calderoli.

Posted by: Dario | February 21, 2006 01:56 AM