De profundis

copertina newsweek.jpg

Newsweek, the (communist) American weekly has devoted the cover story to the little elephant, with the title: "Why Silvio isn't smiling".
Whereas the little elephant is no longer smiling now, the Italian people have not been smiling for some time now. At least he has had a good time in the last 5 years.

Newsweek:
"Over his tenure, Europe's fourth largest economy has become its weakest link. From an already anemic growth rate of 1.8 percent in 2001, Italy slowed to 0.0 last year. Niente!"

"Il Cavaliere has made almost no effort to introduce the sort of serious reforms that could reverse the slide. "In his five years there were neither big privatizations nor structural reforms," says Boeri. "His idea was just to raise public expenditure and cut taxes to revitalize demand." It didn't work. Many European businessmen now worry that, eventually, Italy's economy will deteriorate to such an extent that the country could be forced out of the euro zone.
Consider the situation Prodi finds himself in. Even if he wins by a substantial margin, he will have a hard time taking the economic steps he considers necessary. Reason: thanks to changes in the electoral law pushed through by Berlusconi, Italy has returned to the old system of proportional representation that created such unstable coalitions in the past. "The country will be much less governable," says John Harper at the Bologna Center of Johns Hopkins University.
Italy's trade deficit for 2005 surpassed 10 billion, a result of both skyrocketing energy costs and rising labor expenses. European budget deficits are supposed to be held to 3 percent of GDP annually. Several countries have exceeded that, but Italy, at about 4 percent, is among the worst.”

"Compare Italy's zero growth with other nations of Europe: Spain at 3.4 percent, the U.K. at 1.8 percent, France at 1.4 percent. "

I can hear the noise of cooking pots, those that made a noise in Argentina.
In the last few years, certain groups, certain people, have got enormously rich, while the country got much poorer and is finding today that it has to face a possible leap into the darkness.
I believe that it would be correct for the next Government to set up a commission to verify the legality of these newfound riches. And if it finds them to be ill gotten to use them to reduce the deficit of the State.

Comments

Hi everyone.
First thing I want to say is that I'M NOT related to Wanna Marchi!!!!!

Then I'll say that I agree with Giovanni P. "Everybody in Italy whines but nobody has the balls to protest" I wonder what in the world are Italians thinking about? Do they enjoy so much being f*&#ed?

I lived abroad for 8 years. I worked and got an education too. Last year I bought a small apartment in Italy and last fall I went back. I thought I was going to stay, just to discover that nothing has changed. Perhaps, it is even worse than when I left.
After several months of unemployment, discrimination (yes, because we are considered immigrants to our own country), and sexual harassment, I decided to leave again, and this time was for good. The list of things that I didn't like at all is long (sadly) and I won't annoy you with it. However, allow me to suggest just a couple of things to those who are living there and are still convinced that Italy is the best thing since sliced bread:
- Life is not just shakeing boobs and asses on TV and make calendars (Italian women empower yourselves!)
- Someone better do something to dismantle/fix the actual BANK SYSTEM. Cancer not treated will kill! I'm serious!

Take care,

Stefania

Posted by: Stefania Nobile | April 19, 2006 07:50 AM

Maena: it's a long story.........

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | April 4, 2006 04:12 AM

Greetings to all, old and new friends.

I’ve been damn busy, thus I did not have time to participate to the discussion. Shame!
I see we have news friends in this English version. Great!

Yesterday I voted by mail.
Since the vote is secret I will just tell you that I love mortadella, I come from Emila-Romagna and he was teaching at my faculty in Bologna.

Mi raccomando Italians… we got a last chance let’s use it wisely.

I am getting ready for tonight debate.

Take care,

Mae

-------------------------------------

@ Blisco what the heck are you talking about “Raffa, I think that human rights are not the same everywhere”.

@ Principe, nooooooo you cannot be out of AIRE list.

--------------------------------------

Posted by: Maena Gambaiani | April 3, 2006 07:16 PM

We in the UK should be very grateful to the Italian Justice System for tracking down fraudulent money at the highest level (David Mills & Tessa Jowell –2006).
Due to our language barrier and our politicised Media & TV we are often unaware of the painful experience of Italian politics.
But make no mistake ITALIAN INTEGRITY has at last jolted a SNOW WHITE avalanche of questions of our own UK Government and its double standards in public life.
With Blair and Berlusconi we say ‘Birds of a feather, stick together’ and ‘The Friends you keep’. Blair stated he would be ‘Whiter then white’ on corruption in politics.
However I would like to draw your attention to Blair being an ‘Executive Tap Dancer’ who charms and smiles but ‘Doesn’t deliver real solutions for the ordinary people’. Like Berlusconi he is the total reverse of what is required for the UK.
In 1977 he got elected with the song ‘Things Can Only Get Better’ and now in 2006 ‘Things can only get worse’. The pain continues. He will do anything to stay in power.
As a consolation these people never sleep at night and will spend the rest of their lives 'Watching their Backs’ and spending lots on Makeup.
People Power and Integrity will always prevail.

Posted by: WILLIAM CORRY | April 3, 2006 11:45 AM

Dear all,
I am seating at my desk in London feeling very proud for having just expressed my vote for the general election that are only a week away now. I thought I told you about an interesting fact in regards to the polling cards that have been sent to me a week ago or so. As soon as I received the polling cards by post sent by the general Italian consulate in London, I looked through the different sheets of writing that came with them. Although a sheet with instructions on how to express your vote was there, bizarrely enough there was no hint what so ever on when the polling cards needed to be sent back by. It is not a paramount problem of course, however, it is curious how irrelevant pieces of information such as how to draw a cross on your preference have received a scrupulous attention to the expenses of a vital date for you to post the cards back on time and make your vote worthwhile!
I guess that I am overreacting now, at the end of the day elections are on this weekend coming and all I have to do is make sure that they are sent this week on Thursday at the latest. Yet, I feel that this lack of attention and sloppy attitude is going to cost us a big loss in valuable votes from us Italians living in the United Kingdom; let’s hope otherwise.

There is a last saucy bit of information that I would like to share with you all. So far, I have only received electoral propaganda from two different candidates running for…you have a guess? They are running for Forza Italia of course!! Unbelievable, no other party has made the effort to send me their propaganda. To some extent, one might wonder whether there is an opposition or not. Absurd!!

I leave you to it; I hope you will all make the right choice bearing in mind the beauty and the potential of our delightful country and ponder over the last decade.

Mi raccomando!!

Best Regads

Andrea Marongiu
P.S. TO ALL ITALIANS!! PLEASE DO CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS US HOMOSEXUALS, WE ARE HUMAN BEINGS JUST LIKE YOU AND WE WOULD BE EVER SO GRATEFUL IF YOU ALL COULD JOIN US IN THE FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS WHICH, AIME', IN ITALY SEEMS TO BE A LOST CAUSE. ALL WE WANT IS TO BE LIKE YOU, FREE TO LOVE AND LIVE WITHOUT FEAR OF BEING JUDGED AND ABUSED! JUST TAKE SPAIN AS YOUR INSPIRING MUSE
CHEERS

Posted by: Andrea Marongiu | April 3, 2006 03:30 AM

I'm hoping that a welcome dismissal of silvio could put his allied B's army (B's= Brancaleone and/or Berlusconi) in to the economic abyss they are leaving, compared to the 'hole' they hadn't found. Unfortunately even us will precipitating in to the chasm created by B's laws, B's interests, B's etics, B's deceptions, and B's poisoning.
Best Greetings to the second half of Italians like to the second half of Americans which don't voted B.(ush).Remember 4B: B'and B' Both Bad.

Posted by: gian pietro feltrin | April 1, 2006 10:23 AM

un po' di umorismo non guasta mai!

LA CONFESSIONE DI SILVIO BERLUSCONI (DA LEGGERE ATTENTAMENTE!!)

"Signor parroco, mi vorrei confessare
"Certo figliolo, qual'è il tuo nome?"
"Silvio Berlusconi, padre."
"Ah! Ah! Il presidente del Consiglio!?"
"Si, padre."
"Ascolta, figliolo, credo che il tuo caso richieda una competenza superiore. E' meglio che tu ti rechi dal Vescovo."
Così Berlusconi si presenta dal Vescovo, chiedendogli se può confessarlo.
"Certo, come ti chiami?"
"Silvio Berlusconi"
"Il presidente del Consiglio? No, caro mio, non ti posso confessare: il tuo è un caso difficile. E' meglio che tu vada in Vaticano."
Berlusconi va' dal Papa.
"Sua Santità, voglio confessarmi."
"Caro figlio mio, come ti chiami?"
"Silvio Berlusconi"
"Ahi! Ahi! Ahi! Figliolo! Il tuo caso è molto difficile per me. Gvarda cvi, sul lato del Vaticano c'è una cappella. Al suo interno troverai una croce. Il Signore ti potrà ascoltare."

Berlusconi, giunto nella cappella, si rivolge alla CroceSignore, voglio confessarmi."
"Certo, figlio mio, come ti chiami?"
"Silvio Berlusconi."
"Ma chi? Il Presidente del Consiglio?"
"L'ex amico di Craxi ?"
"Si, signore."
"L'inventore dello scudo fiscale per far rientrare dalle isole Cayman e da Montercarlo tutti I soldi che I tuoi amici hanno sottratto al fisco ?"
"Si, signore."
"L'amico dei Neo-Fascisti e Neo-Nazisti, particolare che si è dimenticato di riferire al Congresso americano ?"
"Ehm... si, Signore."
"Quello che ha abbassato dell'1% le tasse dirette e costretto comuni/province/regioni ad aumentare le tasse locali del 45% per tenere aperti asili, trasporti, servizi sociali essenziali ?"
"Si, signore."
"Quello che ha ricandidato 13 persone già condannate con sentenza passata in giudicato?"
"Si, signore."
"Quello che ha modificato la legge elettorale in modo che siano le segreterie di partito a scegliere gli eletti e non più I cittadini ?"
"Si, signore."
"Quello che ha omesso qualsiasi controllo sull'entrata in vigore dell'Euro permettendo a negozianti e professionisti di raddoppiare I prezzi in barba a pensionati e lavoratori a reddito fisso ?"
"Si, signore."
"Quello che ha abolito la tassa di successione per I patrimoni miliardari e subito dopo ha cointestato le sue aziende ai figli ?"
"Si, signore."
"Quello che ha quadruplicato il suo patrimonio personale e salvato le sue aziende dalla bancarotta da quando è al governo e che dice che è entrato in politica gratis per il bene degli italiani?"
"Si, signore."
"Quello che ha epurato dalla RAI I personaggi che non gradiva ?"
"Si, signore."
"Quello che ha fatto la Ex-Cirielli, la Cirami e la salva-Previti ?"
"Si, signore."
"Quello che ha fatto una voragine nei conti dello stato e ha cambiato 3 volte ministro del tesoro ?"
"Si, signore."
"Quello che ha dato, a spese degli italiani, il contributo per il decoder digitale per permettere al fratello di fare soldi con una società che li produceva ?"
"Si, signore."
"Quello che depenalizzato il falso in bilancio ed ha introdotto la galera per chi masterizza I DVD ?"
"Si, signore."
"Quello che ha permesso alla Francia di saccheggiare la BNL e si è fatto prendere a pesci in faccia quando ENEL ha tentato di acquisire una società francese ?"
"Ehm... sono sempre io, Signore."
"Figlio mio, non hai bisogno di confessare. Tu devi solamente ringraziare."
"Ringraziare? E chi, Signore?"
"Gli antichi Romani, per avermi inchiodato qui. Altrimenti sarei sceso e t'avrei fatto un CULO COSI'!!!

NOTA: TUTTI gli ITALIANI che riceveranno questa comunicazione hanno l'obbligo CIVILE e MORALE di inoltrarla a 10 AMICI: non sia mai che  qualche pirla lo voti di nuovo!

Posted by: maria rossi | March 31, 2006 10:30 AM

I think there is another scenario that should be considered other than incompetence or corruption
( which are undoubtedly there as well ).
Gradually ruining the economy of a country can be something done intentionally by design and has a
great end result for those which desire to bring
about chaos and create the excuse for installing an authoritarian form of government.
Movements like Nazism, Fascism, or whatever other
undesirable " ism " ( I do not care what they are called as they are all the same state of mind with a different name and colour ) do thrive and go to power especially when there are situation of economic chaos and people are looking for some
"strong leader" who " restores order " ( or promises to restore order ), especially those masses which choose with their bellies and wallets rather than their consciences and have no problems at accepting to be stripped ( and having everybody else stripped ) of their personal liberties and rights in exchange for some degree of economic comfort and security.
My 2 cents. . .

Posted by: Stefano Manfreo | March 30, 2006 07:37 PM

X ALESSANDRO PESCI

Well I do not blame you, I do understand your limits and therefore the fact that you keep still voting for Mister B. is the best proof of what I previously said.

How you can not recognise that Mister B. has just used my country (not yours, because you probably live in another dimension, let's say another PLANET!) to do its own interests?!?

I do not understand!!

Mo-Bi-Li-Ta-Zio-Ne x Prodi!

Posted by: Delfino * Dublino | March 30, 2006 01:04 PM

I noticed that there are a lot of people who are used to read very superficially because they have their own bias against Grillo or Prodi. They want to prove that there is a plot against Berlusconi and because of this they are always ready to accuse Beppe of being in bad faith!
Mr. Pesci: you must read with more attention

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | March 30, 2006 12:38 PM

For Alessandro Pesci,
the article of Newsweek was very true. It didn't say that Italy was fourth economy in the world before Berlusconi arrived, but fourth in Europe. Pay more attention when you read!
And all the other things are true, it's enough to look at statistics.
bye

Posted by: Gentian E. | March 30, 2006 12:05 PM

Dear mr. Alessandro Pesci.
The article didn't say that Italy was the fourth largest economy of the World, but of Europe.
Please read, before to write.

Posted by: antonio povero | March 30, 2006 08:10 AM

Rosie, I wish the italians will send him packing for evermore!
I hate him too!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | March 29, 2006 10:52 PM

I have got to get this off my chest. I can no longer stand it when that clown Berlusconi calls whoever does not agree with him a Communist. This man is a bloody idiot! I hate his guts and am not a Communist nor a belong to a political party of any kind. I just wish this amateur would learn how to be a proper politican and have some arguments, instead of simply name calling everybody. I am astonished that such a retarded person could have any support at all, from anybody with an ounce of brain.
My dog could be Prime Minister, if this is what it takes.
You are all fools if you believe there is some quality in someone who is so spiteful and arrogant, self-centered and incompetent.
It is time to kick him in the ass and turn the page over. This moron needs to be taught a lesson and eat some humble pie. Get rid of him, send him to a real Communist country, where at least he would have some reason to complain.
Get somebody, ANYBODY, with a brain and some knowledge. This ignorant sod can go to hell, as far as I am concerned. The world can do without yet another big-headed fool (not too mention as ugly as death itself!).

Posted by: Rosie Trenta | March 29, 2006 10:41 PM

@ Biagino Amanita
You are on the wrong site of the ...moon (whoops, blog!)
Here is the english version!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | March 29, 2006 08:24 PM

Prince: I forgive you! (as usual ;-))But, what a pity! One vote less against the dwarf!
PS) I agree with what you said about the NSDAP exacalation. Democracy is always at risk, today like yesterday.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | March 29, 2006 08:17 PM

"It is the usual Communist weekly American fairy tale" Berlusconi would say.

What will the Italians do?
Nothing!

We are waiting the fall, the big collapse, before even thinking of doing something about it.

When everything will be lost, Italians will be force to take responsibility and admit defeat and loss of La Dolce Vita!

At the moment, it is easier not to take any responsibility and blame others.

Why Italian Politicians do not love their Nation? or are they incompetent?

I feel frustrated and powerless. I wish I could do something for changing the impossible.

Ivan Bettelli

Posted by: Ivan Bettelli | March 29, 2006 08:02 PM

Raff
I just discovered that I'm still not enrolled in the AIRE.
Now I think it's a little bit late but the next time I will be voting.
Promised.

Blisco:
Too many people is now taking a lot of things for granted.
They seem to not know that to get the tree you have to sow.
Regarding the French, like I said below, they are a little bit too much nationalistic but they say what they don't like and they say it out loud: this is what I like.
Maybe what they contest now is a little bit pretentious but I see this strike like something against the first step of slavery.
If you remember history, initially the NSDAP was fighting for jobs and national identity for the Germans and, because everything was taken for granted, it escalated into what we all sadly know.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | March 29, 2006 07:56 PM

Ehm

I think you got lost.

The italian side of the moon is 2 clicks away.

And, like the great Lino Banfi said, Porca Puttena.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | March 29, 2006 07:48 PM

Non penserete che tutti scrivano con il loro vero nome? E allora perchè loredana se la prende con me? Ho detto qualcosa che non dovevo dire? Con tutta la merda che viene scritta dai fasci adesso se la prende con me? E' sparito un messaggio mio ma adesso lo riscrivo. Rispondevo più o meno così a chi asseriva che Travaglio non va a presentare i suoi libri al sud:

Travaglio li presenta a Torino perchè ci sono io. Al sud non viene perchè siete indegni visto che non fate altro che votare partiti di mafia: DC prima, Forza Italia dopo. Dai continuate così, come godo, trascinerete l'Italia nel baratro e il sud sarà annesso alla Libia. Andiamo avanti così...dai siciliani, calabresi...votate Forza Italia dai. Votate quei partiti che vi mantengono così non andate a lavorare, è quello che volete.
NB: Io sono meridionale di origini.
Unica isola felice la Puglia che si è svegliata e si è distinta dal torpore meridio. W LA PUGLIA!

Posted by: Biagino Amanita | March 29, 2006 07:43 PM

Hey Prince! have you already voted???? I don't want to know WHO. (the vote is secret!) ;-);-);-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | March 29, 2006 07:33 PM

The situation is so sad and bad. The Dwarf Mussolini has done lots of damage, but the opposition, government in waiting, is not better.
Like Mr Grillo said is choosing between 2 shits, an old shit or a lukewarm one.
I don't to want to think about them at all, otherwise I get very depressed.

Posted by: Carmelo Abbate | March 29, 2006 07:11 PM

All that is called "Common Sense" and it's long time that is lacking around the so-called civilized west world.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | March 29, 2006 06:18 PM

Courious about the debt of the USA? look here

and you will understand WHY they need to invade other countries...

Posted by: Roberto Capodieci | March 29, 2006 05:27 PM

I agree 100% with you, Blisco, when you say that the children (like the birds you saw from your window) must out of the nest - I would say - when they are 18 years old. That is very unusual, especially in Italy, the land of momism! (I hate it!)
I agree with you also when you say that we must bring up our children to have duties and rights.
But I think also that the new generation can pretend from the government to have the possibility to work, to build a family, to have a chance like their parents did, 20 or 30 years ago!
Job insecurity of young people doesn't help old people to have a adequate pension.
:-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | March 29, 2006 04:46 PM

What is human and what is not. What are the rights and what are the duties.

Raffa, I think that human rights are not the same everywhere. I also think rhat the rights can be different from one country to another and from one era to another. On the other hand, when a government has been choosed by people, he has the right (Human or not) to do what he has to be done.
When there will be new elections, if it was bad, it will be sanctioned.
In France, elections are organized every 7 years. With this law, the country can be stable more then in Italy. And so it is since centuries.
If a government starts to change his mind averytime somebody is making a strike there will be strikes everyday and new governments every month (Something like in Italy since the war!).
After all, who are the voters? The fathers and the grand fathers of the students!
So, the rights are very well for anybody but we have to keep in mind that our rights are ending when the rights of our neighbours are starting. Example:In my house I can shout how much I want since I don't disturb my neighbours.
If we say that it's a right (Human or not) to be a student, to have a job, to have a house, to have a car, to have hospitals free, to have a pension, to have parents or a government to pay for that it's very easy. But what about duties?
No duties anymore for anyone? Only rights?
Times are changing.
I read here that in Italy there is already 23 milion retired people, soon it will be 30 milions. All of them are voters and I don't think that they will be ready to vote for somebody who will say to them: You have to leave one part of your pension for the nephews because they have no job. And what do you think the nephews will do ? They will quick go to find a job ? Certainly not if they are payed in any case.
In this case, who will pay the pensions for them ?
In France, like here in Belgium and in other european countries, parents are already obliged to keep in charge the needs of the chieldren until they are 25 even if they don’t go to school anymore. In this cases, governments are not responsible anymore. And so what is the result ? Chieldren already don’t want to go to work anymore !
So, I’m not against the students. If they want to try, they have to try. In may 68 in France they were shouting : Il est interdit d’interdire. The year after, with the sex revolution they start to make 69s and now in 2006, I know some parents that they give their own bed for that :-) It’s human (With rights or not).
Every day, from my window I had the chance to see a couple of birds to build a nest and then to grow their chieldren till they had their wings. Then I saw how cruelly, one day they decided to put their chieldren out of the nest. Sometimes it was not easy for any one but if the parents didn’t do like that the chieldren will never understood what to fly could be.
Let's say that the rights has to be taken when the duties are done and not before.

Posted by: blisco jajo | March 29, 2006 04:16 PM

@ The dwarf of Arcore.
English please!
;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | March 29, 2006 01:33 PM

quello di Bertinotti non e' stato un AUTOGOL
ma semplicemente un'attimo di verita'.

Sinistroidi........poveri illusi

Posted by: nano di arcore | March 29, 2006 01:25 PM

Hi All,

this article tell the false. Is not true that Italy was the 4th economy in the world when Berlusconi arrived.

It was 7th after England and China.

Italy was 5th during Craxi government. But the season of "Mani Pulite" started a political and economical crisis during until today.

I would say that Italy decline started from there.

About governability, Prodi was not able to keep the government more than 2 years last time, even with the old electoral law. In Italy we have never had government surviving more than 1 year. Only exception Prodi=2 years, Craxi=4 years and Berlusconi=5 years.

So this seems another lie.

I dont say Newsweek is comunist, but simply superficial, like a lot of foregneirs magazines that doesnt know realy what are they talking about when they speak of Italy.

Regards,
AP

Regards,
AP

Posted by: Alessandro Pesci | March 29, 2006 01:22 PM

Hi lads,

I voted for Prodi yesterday as well as millions of Italians, in italy and abroad will do.

COME ON! let's send out the information about who really is BERLUSKONI!

Let's talk with everyone about the BIG value of each vote, hoping that PRODI can finally guide democratically our BEAUTIFUL country wasted by the FASCIST PUPPET

Please find below a link to all the trials in which the PUPPET is involved

MO-Bi-Li-Ta-Zio-Ne x Prodi!!

Posted by: Delfino * Dublino | March 29, 2006 01:02 PM

Hi Blisco!
I want to make a distinction between french students who are protesting against the job insecurity and the french wine producers who are protesting against the rival products from abroad.
Both of them are french, but I agree with the first ones and not with the seconds.
Why? The wine producers only want to keep their advantageous position,to other countries detriment, the students want to have a future without precariousness.
In the first case it's a matter of free market competition, in the second one it's a matter of human rights.
What do you think about that?

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | March 29, 2006 12:09 PM

L'AUTOGOL DELLA SINISTRA

Ma l'avete visto ieri sera Ballarò? Ma avete sentito che ha detto Bertinotti?? È riuscito a far passare in secondo piano persino la sagra delle balle del Nanetto. Il nostro eroe è riuscito a dire che la sinistra riproporrà la tassa di successione ai livelli del 2001, ovvero 350 milioni. Dico, 350 MILIONI! Ma dove cazzo vive??? Ma lo sa che 350 milioni in una Milano o una Roma sono il valore di uno sgabuzzino a 100km dal centro città??? Ma è impazzito!!! Di certi autogol a 2 settimane dal voto proprio non ce n'è bisogno. Che figura di merda.... e quanti voti persi in 5 secondi!

Sono sempre più ma sempre più triste.

Posted by: Harri Klein | March 29, 2006 11:57 AM

I think Italy needs a Third Republic after Berlusconi era!!!

Posted by: Gentian E. | March 29, 2006 09:53 AM

Here I am Prince,how are you?
Just a word about frenchies, the rest I will comment when I'll have more time but I thnk that Michele Bina said clearly enough what is the situation.
Recently, french wine producers did two days of strike too. To protest about what? Just against the fact that they can't sell their wines enought and to show exactely what they want, they start to stop all the trucks coming from Spain and destroy their goods...This is not the first strike like that. They did the same against italian wines since the 60ies and it will be certainly not the last.
If all the countries start to do like french it will be not a solution. I think that our societies has changed and this methods has to be change too. This start to look like a legal blackmailing. If you take italian railroads, you certainly know that workers, there, are the best (Payed) of Europe but they do a strike a month and their service is the worse of the union. Next strike, I just received an email to join them, will be to show solidarity for a worker who was fired recently (He didn't want to use a security system). So, what? I don't intend to discuss if this worker has the right or not to refuse to push a pedal once a minute to show that he is not sleeping, I only want to say that if we accept strikes we have to accept any kind of abuse. French authorities, like italian authorities, if they condemn with a speach, they never do anything against. I don't know if americans, since Chirac refused to go in Irak, they penalize french products but for french it's loking like that: If we don't sell, nobody has to sell wines!
Or worse: We can sell wines anywhere but we have not to import anything. In a word: Your death is my life. A nice tittle for a new song:-)
So, I understand that students but I don't agree about the methods.

Posted by: blisco jajo | March 29, 2006 09:47 AM

dear mr grillo
well i just find it difficult to change around a country
after 40 years of stealing in 5 - and this wasnt berlusconi as you may recall - he was busy building an empire no in italy is even close to imagine to build - but italians some how see the agnelli family as saviors - even though they are even more crooked than berlusconi having been around for a much longer period
anyone in power will do this - ask bush were his interests are - sure h'll say his people truthfully its obvious he follows who pays him - just like anyone -
what id like to see is a complete anilation of these people and this completeley useless ruling class
im a british resident and im not going to vote ever - fact is that who will vote is dummer than than ones elected - ya most of you - or esle you would have lost interest like my 5 yr old nephew that already understands that these people say always the same things, and he's five
now the vote and what- i dont understand why mr berlusconi is so keen on answering what the left had to say about him - why would anyone care about such stupid comments - why didnt he just go ahead with what he had to do ??
on the other someone who managed to bury two state run companies - which is really difficult or you must be very very dum - so where do we stand - we all must be way less ignorant than what we show - darwin was way off my labrador is way smarter than these people and the ones that vote for them
good luck

Posted by: matteo panno | March 29, 2006 09:26 AM

...what can I say...I am disappointed by my people and even more by myself.
We need to (...you cannot say F***ING REBEL, can you?...)...actively promote change in the rules that govern out countries. Rules, more than laws, because the problem is in the way we think: I believe our looking up to authority, our selfish and self-sentered use of authority itself are at the heart of our problem. We are weak with the powerful and STRONG with the weak. That's why we allow some people to stay in power...because they are just doing what WE do, just on a bigger scale.
Our (I have been out of the country for 5 years...is it still mine?) deficit is worth 10 billion euros, I happened, just by chance, to have been visiting the forbes website, listing the richest people in the world...and just so happened to see some new faces in there, and some italian people move up that ladder, quite dramatically, if I may say. If you add up what those people have earned in the past years you would do much more than pay back the deficit, in fact, you would see the small increase in the PIL that italian workers have managed to earn but that has been swallowed by the gravitational pull of MASSIVE capitals that leave no room for competition. Of course we cannot hope to revert years and years of turning a blind eye to problems in a blink, but we can try making changes for the good of the people, not for some private interest. Although, in the past few years, many laws were approved,those vital changes were not made. The more our already poorly performing parliament is busy dealing with the private (at whatever level) issues of our employees ;) the smallest the chance we have that they will start looking after their people's (their employers') interests.
Long post...I apologize. I had to take a few things off my chest.

good luck to you all

Posted by: Michele Tuveri | March 29, 2006 02:43 AM

Certainly the Berlusconi years have been a failure but those who think that Italy's economic malaise is his fault had better think again. The italian economy suffers from long term structural problems such as a ridiculously rigid labour market, chronic tax avoidance, an extremely inefficient state administration, a non-functioning justice system with thousands of laws nobody understands, crime in the south of Italy, low investment, 23 million pensioners, and a labour force with the wrong skills. Previous left wing governments (not to mention decades of Christian Democrat and Socialist governments that squandered our national wealth) are also to blame for not tackling these problems when the times were better than they are now. Complaining is easy, to solve our problems will require unity of vision, clear ideas and balls, which i do not see emerging yet from anywhere.

Posted by: Michele Bina | March 29, 2006 01:59 AM

dear beppe, i like your jokes ,i think u are one of the best comedian in italy,but sometime i think u go to far when u talk about some politicians.If u dislike so much Berlusconi (and this goes to Benigni too), why don't u go and live in cuba,or iran,or china and try to make the same type of joke!I wonder what would happen to u! I think democracy is a waste when wu don't know how to enjoy it!

sincerely
vince

Posted by: vince crescenzi | March 29, 2006 01:49 AM

All i can say is that because of people like Berlusconi ( there will always be someone like him in Italy either in the government or
not....) a lot of "fine" italians ( such as myself ) have been leaving the country for a number of years now.
Infact I meet the nicest most intelligent, outspoken and democratic italians....outside of Italy....what an irony ah?
A big shout out to all Italian "renegades".
hang in there!

Posted by: salim visini | March 29, 2006 12:58 AM

Peter

You are right in one way: we are naive to think that this will be the time to have a clean slate and start over.

On the other way I like to think that maybe (a very stretched out maybe) something will happen and everything will be kicked in straight by some weird combination.

In case this will not happen i will resign my case.

Rosie: thank you for agreeing with me.

P.S.:Blisco, where are you?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | March 29, 2006 12:26 AM

My friends,

how naive you are! Burlescone won't go. Because the Italian people have disppointed him. He will try and find another people worthy of such a great leader or will attempt to teach us what great things he has done for us.

We complain that we don't have enough money for the end of the month and he says it's propaganda, we have more TV's and mobile phones.

The pot will boil over on April 10th and then if nothing improves, the pot will explode!

Posted by: Peter Speedwell | March 28, 2006 11:53 PM

I agree with Giovanni Principe.
Italians never had the guts to put it all on the line and raise their voice. Sadly, I think this is not going to change any time soon.
I just hope that clown Berlusconi disappears from the political scene once and for all. The world would be a better place without him.
Rosie

Posted by: Rosie Trenta | March 28, 2006 11:49 PM

And, by the way, did you see what the french are doing?
A STRIKE!
One million of pissed off french citizens in the streets to protest.
And the italians?
Everybody whines but nobody has had the balls to protest yet.
It could be that, deep down, they like to be treated like that or because everybody lacks initiative and delegate this to somebody else?
Or will this be the classic pot that, overloaded with steam, will explode all at once, damaging everything in its immediate range?
You know, the French are often criticized to be nationalistic but once more, they ar moving their butt to voice what they don't like, like in 1789: for this I admire them because they understand that they don't have to let certain people rule and they like to fix their mistakes at birth and not walk around with their pants full of shit like us.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | March 28, 2006 11:38 PM

This guy is a crook and must be removed from office.

Posted by: The Piper at the Gates of Dawn | March 28, 2006 10:13 PM

USA, UK, and Berlusconi, always more rich, if Italy go out of Europe isn't their problem, but ....

Posted by: Matteo Raggi | March 28, 2006 09:50 PM