The Business of World Hunger

fame nel mondo biotech.jpg
image from: www.mindful.org

On Thursday 9 March 2006, at the meeting of the European Community, Great Britain will propose to maintain the cultivation of seeds called Terminator GM, or even terminator technology.
It’ll make the same proposal in two weeks time at a world level meeting in Brazil.
Terminator GM is a technology that allows the seeds of the plants to be made sterile. The harvest can be done just once. Each year the farmer has to go back and buy more seed from the seed producer, usually a “yes global” multinational.

In 2000 this abomination, created with the intention of avoiding the contamination of non Genetically modified crops by GMO crops in nearby fields, was banned with an agreement promoted by the United Nations. However the agreement was opposed by Great Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and of course, the United States.

Today this group of nations, with the indifference of the agriculture ministers of the European Union, is trying to let the ban fall by using a technique of judging the use of GURT on a “case by case” basis.

The sterilisation of seeds or Genetic Use Restriction Technology (GURT) is applicable to common crops from rice to wheat and its effects are worse than the bubonic plague.
If this were to spread to the Third World, this would put at risk the survival of 1,500,000,000 people and in every case, the genetic contamination could have effects on ALL crops.

The shares and the profits of the biotech companies that are “yes global” would however be repeatable, clean and without contamination.

Hunger in the world would thus become a formidable business tool. The GURT seeds would promote it everywhere and thus would contribute to, together with famine, the certain growth in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) and planetary control on primary food sources by the multinationals.

Comments

We want to contract for you.
Please contract us.
J.Somsak

Posted by: J.Somsak | May 29, 2007 05:24 AM

Miss Elzer Mike.
Abidjan-Cote D'Ivoire

Dear love,

CONFIDENTIAL.

I am Miss Elzer Mike. the only Daughter of Late Former Director of Finance, Late Chief Desmond Mike,Cote D'Ivoire Diamond and Mining Corporation.I must confess my agitation is real, and my words is my bond, in this proposal.My late father diverted this money meant for purchase of ammunition for my country,during the peak of disastrous civil war in my country,now he has deposited the money with PRIME BANK Abidjan, where I am residing under political assylum with me Now the war in my country is over with the help of ECOMOG SOLDIERS and FRANCE SOLDIERS, the present Government of Cote D'Ivoire has revoked the passport of all officers who served under the former regime and now asked country to expel such persons at the same time freeze their account and confiscate their assets, it is on this note that i am contacting you.assist me to transfer this money in your private bank account,the said amount is (USD16,000,000).

I am Compesating you with 20% of the total money, now all my hope is banked on you and i really want to invest this money in your country where there is stability of government, political and economic welfare.
Honestly, I want you to beleive that this transaction is real and never a joke.My late Father Late Chief Desmond Mike gave me the photocopies of the certificate of deposit issued to him by PRIME BANK on the date of deposit, for you to be clarify because i do not expose myself to anybody I see,I believe that you will be able to keep this transaction secret for me because this money is the hope my life, it is important.Please immediately after you must have gone through my message feel free and make it urgent, that is the reason why I offer you 20% of the total amount and should incase of any other neccesary expenses you might incure during this transaction would be taking care of at the end of the day.

N.B: Try and negotiate for me some Profitable blue Chip investment opportunities which is risk free which I can invest with this money when it is transferred to your account. Personaly, I am interested in estate management and hotel business, please advise me.Reach me back immediately you receive this message because there is serious war in my country for more explanation and promise me considering our situation.

Thanks and God Bless.

Thanks and God Bless.

Miss Elzer Mike.

here is my email address where you can sent me email

(elzer_mike03@yahoo.ca)

i Love you so much.

Posted by: elzer mike | June 23, 2006 10:30 AM

ma il Grillo va in bicicletta?
in bocca al lupo con i processi,
ciao, Giulio

Posted by: Giulio | March 23, 2006 11:37 PM

The human species is indeed at the mercy of the obscenely rich and powerful who control the governments and corporations that rule our lives. As the old saying goes, "those who have the gold makes the rules". The writings in this posting is an example of the rich having the gold (represented by the GM seeds), making the rules that control the poorer, starving people of the world.

It is time that this insanity is stopped dead in its tracks. The planet cannot sustain us like this and if we continue on this path, everything will be destroyed and the earth as we know it will not survive for any more than 500 years. (NB a lot of people I have spoken with have said that they give it less than 200 years).

Millions of people have had similar thoughts (I'm sure every starving or thirsty or diseased person in the world have thought how terrible the world and society is). So many people have realised the follies of us and our ancestors and want this out-of-control-spiral to stop and for us to change. However, for us to change it means that the way we are progressing has to stop completely and that we must take a new and better path that will lead to the human species survival forever.

How to do this when it seems so impossible? Well I believe that there is a way and that it is very possible and very probable that it will work. If you would like to know more, please contact me.

Posted by: RC | March 14, 2006 03:30 AM

Dear Beppe and all,

I think we should be careful about being alarmist. After all the 'terminator' technology is to avoid cross contamination and then (more cynically) probably to make it easier to do GM experiments in England and Europe.

But this is still a very important issue. We have an election campaign in Italy and who is talking about Genetically Modified food, who is talking about renerwable energy or the future of the earth? I'm frightened. I have children and I want them to grow up without knowing disease, hunger and catclysmic climatic events. It seems that a 'local' national election is too small to consider these issues.

Perhaps we should think of starting 'global democracy' and elect employees who make the world a fit place to live in and not just follow the needs of the old globals, the non-democratic worldwide businesses.

What do you think?

Peter

Posted by: Peter Speedwell | March 8, 2006 09:57 PM

Salute Beppe:

I am a reader from the US whose family is involved in small scale organic farming. The Agribusiness multinational model of eliminating indigenous seed sources is truly evil. Thanks for raising our awareness once again. Have you heard that under laws "enacted" by Mr. Bremer in Iraq, it is illegal to save seeds from one years crop in order to plant again the following year. Under"food security" rules farmers have to buy new seeds each year from "approved" sources, i.e., big corps that have contracts with through US agencies. I dont know all the details, but this is the gist of it. Perhaps others know more than I do and could give more information about the "democratization" of agriculture inIraq.

Posted by: kenneth bishop | March 8, 2006 05:37 PM

has anybody in here noticed that often the excuse that those multinational empires use is often "we do that in order to remove problems and famines of the poors of the wolrd..." and often people beleive to that issue.

so why they dont simply wonder why the mutlinational pharma industry has never tried to get rid of the third world healt problems? Cuz they take care of the poors?

we are facing serious threats and they are well equipped to win the battle. we cant give up

Posted by: daniele costantini | March 8, 2006 03:33 PM

Terminator technology was developed to prevent the spread of engineered genes. It would make "gene pollution" impossible.

If farmers don't like terminator seeds, they won't buy them.

The "right to save seeds" does *not* extend to saving *someone else's* seeds. Seed producers have rights too, and have had them long before biotech showed up.

Besides, Monsanto doesn't own the technology anyhow--it's jointly owned by the US Government and Delta and Pine Land Company.

On top of which, Terminator technology is *very* difficult to work with. A crash program could get a terminator crop out there in maybe eight years.

Schiller.

Posted by: Schiller Thurkettle | March 8, 2006 02:28 PM

WATER is not for sale, is a right of each human being!

HEALTH CARE is a right of each human being!

FOOD is a right of each human being!

Posted by: Delfino * Dublino | March 8, 2006 02:18 PM

this is the clear demonstration, that the pure capitalism without a clear social object is not useful for humanity

Posted by: house italy | March 8, 2006 02:08 PM

The multinational system "yes globalisation" means also that we shall be aware on WATER, because I think the big dealers will buy all the private sources;
public water is not so clean, due to agricultural pesticides use(not organic farming);
in about 10 years we will see purchasing public bids from all the famous multinational brands in order to buy small WATER company.
FOOD and WATER must be preserved by cicil States.

Posted by: Gino | March 8, 2006 12:53 PM

This is a great post.

My compliment Beppe!

Posted by: Fabien Gollin | March 8, 2006 12:10 PM

Dear Mr Grillo,

Thank you for bringing this important, serious & urgent matter to the attention of the readers of your site.

It is interesting to note that UK is not an agriculture country as such. The UK industry is more of the animal husbandry (meat industry), remember the MAD COWS and their end. Who will suffer from the of terminator adoption?

The agriculture farmers. How will they stop the cross contamination? How will this crops affect the non GMO, the wild and beautiful nature? I have a plant that has a flower which is half red and half yellow, the Roma football supporters in my Apartment block ask me to give them a cutting of it. Nature did this great miracle & I love it.

They lied about tobacco, they have kids hooked on to high sugar/salt and unhealthy foods increase in obesity, they lie about everything. The word terminator should put fear in all of us because it will terminate a lot of us.

Why is it that none of the election circus in Italy mentions this or cares about the Italian people?
The antique & noble tradition of FARMING will be gone. What will they replace it with? Veggi flu? The whole chain of nature no worms/bees/insects/flowers no birds/animals
In short no fauna and no nature?
This will lead to a sterile world.

These Mega multinational global parasite needs a GOOD dose of human discontent to stop this breed. It will be the ruin for farmers. Many farmers in India committed suicide because they just could not afford the parasites.

Posted by: Marcia Visanji | March 8, 2006 10:54 AM

I think it would be better to call them "old-global", rather than yes-global. Cause this evoque their concept of savage globalization, dangerous for the human beings.

For the other ones (us) would be better to use the term "new-global".

Thanx Beppe!