A letter from Franca Rame

franca rame.jpg

Franca Rame has sent me a long letter (attached) and I’m presenting some parts of it here.

“First of all I’m standing as a candidate because there aren’t lots of women in politics.
In these elections I believe that even an individual vote can be decisive and I want to be giving my contribution to put an end to this period of tragic-comedy. A time more of tragedy than of comedy, given the difficulties of survival in which many citizens are living.

Why Di Pietro? … Everyone’s asking me this. Di Pietro is still the symbol of a period in history: that of “Clean Hands” that gave hope to Milan and to the whole of Italy. For years he has been good points to discuss correctly. He has been talking sense about justice, about civil rights and other things.
By standing as a candidate, I hope to convince one or two among the many people of the left who are still uncertain whether to vote or not to vote, because they are fed up with a certain type of politics. The other reason why I am standing is because if I am elected I will try to put the dream of many Italians into reality: finally to shed light on the accounts of the State and to show up the waste and so on.

At this point, let’s jump back in time: 1992-94 “Settimo: ruba un po’ meno! n° 2”! {Settimo: do a bit less thieving! n° 2”} a monologue about Tangentopoli {kickback land} n° 2 because in 1964 Dario and I had a show called "Settimo: ruba un po' meno! " about kickbacks and fraud at that time. When Tangentopoli exploded, Dario exclaimed: “They’ve stolen the idea from us without paying for copyright!”
Tangentopoli … What is life? After all these years, here I am side by side with the protagonist of that revolution.

“Settimo…” is a monologue about Tangentopoli, as I was saying, about the wastefulness of our State, written by Dario and myself. We had to do loads of research. What really hit me was to discover the real size of the public debt. At that time it was round about 2 thousand million million. Who knows why they call it “public” debt. It’s an inappropriate term. It’s a euphemism. As citizens, it’s got nothing to do with us. We didn’t spend that money nor did we waste it nor throw it away!

Two thousand million million!!! If we put notes worth 100,000 end to end, we could cover the distance from Milan to Palermo 2,214 times.

If I’m elected, what would I like to do with the help of all those who agree with me?
The first thing is the reduction of the public debt. Certainly not by cutting public spending and by cutting services as the Centre Right has done. No. I would do it by focusing on the waste in the Public Administration. The costs that are seen in absurd expenses paid for by the taxpayer.

The energy bills of the State could be halved if energy efficiency criteria were to be used. These criteria have been obligatory for some time and are already functioning in Germany, Austria, Scandinavia and even in Trentino Alto Adige {Region in the North East of Italy} (see www.alcatraz.it). This is an enormous sum of money and it could be spent to give those people who today are excluded from fundamental rights, the chance to have a house, and health services and health. That’s no small thing!

Then there’s another point I want to fight for: the efficiency of the law against crimes. Today in Italy there’s no certainty in sentencing. The whole mechanism of the justice system is based on the possibility of invalidating a sentence based on some “escape clauses”.
In fact, those who have been found guilty of fraud can negotiate the sentence away without ever having to give back the money they have gained illicitly.

And those who cause the ruin of thousands of families, or who get rich by manipulating the market, are punished with a fine.

Given that we like the Americans, why don’t we start off by imitating them in good things? In the United States the manipulation of the market is punished with really severe penalties. In the USA that’s 6 years in prison.

They convicted Al Capone for tax evasion. Here in this country today, we would take Al Capone, and for the same offences, with amnesties, “prescrizioni”, false accounting, and whitewashing we would send him home with a tap on the cheek. Just a laugh!
If we succeed, you’ll see that we will all be a bit better. Yes. I really want to see you smile!

If you want to know everything about me, about us, about our work, about our political engagement, have a look at our site www.dariofo.it or www.francarame.it or www.jacopofo.com.

A big kiss to every one of you!"
Franca

Comments

buon annooooo w lo spam

Posted by: giada martini | January 1, 2007 01:45 PM

Thank you, Luca I didn't know it!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | April 11, 2006 07:31 PM

Raffaella, the previous message was my answer to your post.

Errata corrige: Di pietro "ran" by himself (hopfully the elections came to the end!).

Luca

Posted by: Luca Palazzotto | April 11, 2006 06:04 PM

Raffaella, the previous message was my answer to your post.

Luca

Posted by: Luca Palazzotto | April 11, 2006 06:03 PM

Raffaella, the message before was for you.

Errata corrige: Di Pietro "ran" byhimself (hopfully the elections came to the end!)

Luca

Posted by: Luca Palazzotto | April 11, 2006 05:23 PM

When I said to do not vote Di Pietro, I was talking about the abroad election, that has been differents than in Italy.

I do not have the time to translate the following news: in brief, it says that if the CdL would held together in North-America and Africa-Asia-Oceania, would win!
Di Pietro, in the abroad elections, run byhimself.

Anyway: Italy has been lucky!

16:47 Voto estero: Cdl unita avrebbe il Senato
I risultati dello scrutinio del voto per gli italiani all'estero evidenziano un dato clamoroso. La Cdl si č presentata divisa anche nelle ripartizioni Nordamerica e Africa-Asia-Oceania, che eleggono ciascuna un senatore. Se la Cdl si fosse presentata unita, otterrebbe entrambi i senatori. Al Senato il risultato sarebbe rovesciato: la Cdl batterebbe l'Unione 158 a 156.

Posted by: Luca Palazzotto | April 11, 2006 05:17 PM

CIN CIN!!!!!!!
(and thank you, you italians abroad saved our democracy!!!!!!!)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | April 11, 2006 02:58 PM

About the links: I found a new about what we were talking about. It was really hacked by somebody. Have a look here in this page of Il Corriere:
Now that elections are finished, we can drink to the victory. Which one, I don't know but it's the only consolation we can have. I think I'm going to stop to talk politics, it will be more and more boring now.

Posted by: blisco jajo | April 11, 2006 02:42 PM

Prince, you know, I'm always ready to have a drink with old friends, but at the moment we are 49% for the dwarf and 50% for us! Too small difference!
Let's wait for a while! ;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | April 10, 2006 07:25 PM

Blisco, Maena & Raffaella:
I think that I will open that old bottle of Amarone and have a toast with it thinking about you guys.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | April 10, 2006 06:55 PM

Maybe! I'd never tried to rich the site at night!
Anyway, the polls are very cheering for us... I don't want to say anymore....( better not mention it just in case)!
;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | April 10, 2006 05:02 PM

I think the sites are not always on line. Maybe by night they switch off the server?
Never mind who will be the winner if in any case we will have a drink:-)

Posted by: blisco jajo | April 10, 2006 04:29 PM

Franca Rame's site is working very good, like Jacopo and Dario's sites!
Why do you said they would be deactivated?
By the way, we are all waiting for results...in 45 min we'll know the first polls...
PS) Prince, I don't know waht you want to win, but I wish you all the best!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | April 10, 2006 02:22 PM

Thank you, Blisco, Thank you very much!
Regarding Franca Rame's site, I read on the Corsera that it has been deactivated, along with Dario and Jacopo's.
Let's see what happens tomorrow.........

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | April 10, 2006 02:46 AM

By the way, before to say anything about the Franca's post I wanted to visit the sites linked at the end but they are not working at all. I don't know if it is my browser but this kind of jokes happen only in Italy. If this is not a premonitory sign...

Posted by: blisco jajo | April 8, 2006 08:50 AM

French people, to justify their wines after bad years they start to say that the grapes were rotten but that it was in a noble way and now a connaisseur can say that this "pourriture noble" is necessary to make a good wine. If politicians are supposed to be like grapes "A pourriture noble necessary and inevitable" we have just to whish that they will be until the end without growing rotten too much. For me it's very difficult to believe that a politician can resist to corruption. Certainly, some are worser than others but like wines, we only can now later if the wine was made with grapes more rot than noble or more noble than rot. I whish that Franca Rame can distribute some kicks before to go away of this field. It would be a real pity to see her to grow rotten. By the way, Prince, I hope you will win, I gave you my vote in any case:-)
I'm ready to lift my little finger and bringing my glas of Prosecco in the air to say:Cin cin!

Posted by: blisco jajo | April 8, 2006 06:53 AM

I'm not Italian and I live in London, England, but from here it is impossible to understand how so many of the Italian people could vote for a man who behaves like Berlusconi.

I agree with Luca that the important thing is to get rid of Berlusconi and it seems voting for Prodi's coalition, whatever its failings, is the only way to be sure this will happen.

There is a great deal of fellow-feeling in England for Italy. Please don't let your country become an international laughing stock.

Posted by: Paul Todd | April 7, 2006 06:06 PM

@Luca Palazzotto
Why do you say it's not the right moment to support Di Pietro?
I don't vote Di Pietro, but he is in the center left coalition, a vote for him is a vote against the dwarf!
I agree with Franca Rame's choice, because Italia dei Valori is, with Rifondazione and the Greens, one of the three parties without convicted candidates in their list!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | April 7, 2006 06:03 PM

Hi Franca,

Actually I can understand the reason that bring you to support Di Pietro, but this is not the right moment: the first main objective should be to sack Berlusconi out of the italian scenario.

Once Berlusconi is out we can start talking about politics and party. I am afraid, but other 5 years with Berlusconi could bring Italy in a really difficult situation.

I hope people vote the Unione, even if I am not a Prodi or Fassino fun.
I do not like them, but at the moment we have no choice.

Best regards

Luca

Posted by: Luca Palazzotto | April 7, 2006 05:04 PM

We need people like you, Franca!
I appreciate you, Dario, and Jacopo Fo very much!
By the way, I've taken out a subscription to the Jacopo's newsletter "Cacao".
I'ts very interesting and fun!
I recommend it to everybody!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | April 7, 2006 01:38 PM

I wish you Franca all the best!

Mo-Bi-Li-Ta-Zio-Ne x PRODI!

25 APRILE 1943 - 10 APRILE 2006

Posted by: Delfino * Dublino | April 7, 2006 12:55 PM

Dear Franca,
I wish you success.
And I hope that whoever wins in the center-left coalition will do a couple of things:

• Push for a culture of legality
• Boost the economy pushing on research and technology
• Keep Catholic Church out of the State legislation
• Reform the education system (but with some common sense, because that smart lady called Moratti hasn’t got a clue of what education system is)
• Reform the public sector privatizing, e.g. Poste Italiane could have created synergies with organization like TNT or DHL.

Rgrds,

M.G.

Posted by: maena gambaiani | April 7, 2006 08:27 AM

As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, in USA whoever dodges taxes is dead meat.
In Italy, tax evasion is considered "cool".
The Italian government overpays its workers.
In this way one loses view of its real function for the people.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | April 7, 2006 03:08 AM