A lot of talk and a badge

chiacchiere_distintivo.jpg

Romano Prodi, our employee in the highest position in the government, has nominated his ministers. These people will determine the politics of Italy of the next few years. It therefore seems the right moment to ask for the motivation behind the nominations. They are public positions, they are employees that we pay. They can change our future.

Why is Mastella at the Ministry of Justice? Why is Di Pietro at the Ministry of Infrastructure? Why is D’Alema at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? I would like to know the reasons for these choices. I would like to be comforted by the thought that there’s a reason related to competence, to the protection of the country, to the experience associated with the person. I wouldn’t want it to have been political considerations, representation, the sharing out of power. I don’t want to even think that. I don’t believe that.

However, a tiny wee bug is gnawing away at me. The usual naughty thoughts. And if a Minister, even only a single one is not there for effective capability, but for some tiny little bribe, for a desire to be a protagonist?
To be sure, I’d like to know the motivations, the credentials.

I invite those Ministers who think it appropriate to set out the information in a letter to the Blog, together with the objectives that they hope to achieve in this legislature.
I will be happy to publish them together with the comments.

Perhaps I’m getting a big head. Perhaps the Blog has a level of alcohol that’s too high. But I believe that it would be a great gesture if some Ministers allowed themselves to play on the Internet. If they communicated directly with the people who they represent.
It would be a signal that things are changing.

Comments

Dear Beppe,
I've just read about you "pre-licenziamento" letter to Prodi, and frankly, I think it was a stupid thing to do. I am sorry but you are not the people; I voted for Prodi, and though I do have misgivings on a number of issues, I think that voting means giving a mandate for five years, not for five weeks. If you don't like representative democracy, fine, but you can't play the game and change the rules. What's the point of adding pressure on a Government that is already inherently weak? We all wanted Berlusconi out of the way, but what we don't seem to realise is that Berlusconi is still very much there, waiting for his chance.
And incidentally -- did you really go to Prodi and ask what was his idea of modernity? you know, as a medievalist, sometimes I have the impression that "il nuovo che avanza" simply means leftovers no-one wants to eat.
I still like you, though. But only just.
Ciao,
Alessandra

Posted by: Alessandra Petrina | June 8, 2006 06:53 PM

Dear Beppe,
I'd like to suggest a new concept concerning the office of member of parliament. Indeed, why should MPs get such high salaries? If, as they argue, their primary objective is the welfare of Italy, they should start by cutting their incomes first, which are totally exaggerated, not to speak about all the extra earnings and exemptions to which they are entitled. Hence, it could happen that only enlightened and honest politicians would run for that post.

Posted by: Kiki Palassof | June 7, 2006 10:01 AM

And it's De Niro as Al Capone, from "The Untouchables."

Posted by: George De Stefano | June 1, 2006 04:16 AM

who let Robert Di Nero into office?

Posted by: shoe money | May 31, 2006 11:05 PM

I would like better a government without Mastella, but without him we are not in the majority. We must make the best of a bad job!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | May 30, 2006 05:09 PM

We know why Mastella got his post, which he entirely does not deserve. He would have left the Unione if he didn't get it. Politics as usual.

And today we have the disappointing results from Sicily. The Unione did well almost everywhere else but in Sicilia, where they re-elected as president Toto Cuffaro, who is under indictment for collusion with the Mafia. Wonderful. Sicily apparently loves its Mafia, right-wing politics, and Catholicism more than it loves freedom and democracy. I look forward to the day the island emerges from the middle ages, but I'm not holding my breath. No wonder so many Sicilians emigrate.

Posted by: George De Stefano | May 30, 2006 04:54 PM

Glasnost?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 30, 2006 04:46 PM

I agree with this initiative, because I think that the center-left coalition must set a good example of transparency and direct democracy, but I think also that we must trust this new government, or at least we must try to do it. Let's wait for a while to pass our comment!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | May 30, 2006 12:41 PM

Dear Beppe Grillo,
I would like to thank you, as an Italian Citizen.
Thanks for helping Italians understand that, Direct Democracy is the key.
Italy, desperately needs to bring Citizens closer to their Representatives.
I think you are helping this to happen.
Many thanks,
Ivan Bettelli (Italian Citizen with hope thanks to Beppe Grillo)

Posted by: Ivan Bettelli | May 30, 2006 10:35 AM