Kosovo’s Dead

Kossovo.jpg

A soldier has explained to me certain things about our war in the Balkans. He has asked me to promote his book. The income from which will be devolved to the families of the 41 Italians who died and the 300 who became ill as a result of Uranium 238 used in Bosnia and Kosovo. These are young people and families who are being ignored.

Just as it seems no one is interested that the use of depleted Uranium in weapons of war is contaminating and killing civilians and military personnel. A few politicians have succeeded in their career through the war in Kosovo. Other Italians, more simply, are dead or are still dying.

Dear Beppe,
As agreed I’m sending you the cover of the book and form to fill in and return to the email address osservatoriomilitare@libero.it to get a copy of the book. The money received will obviously go to the families of the military personnel who died and to those who are ill and have not the possibility to get treatment.
The families of these young people who died are alive but are dead inside. The sons, husbands or fathers are killed twice: by the hypocrisy first and then by the indifference.
I believed in the work I was doing and to say that my friends died because of someone without a conscience, I thought that was a moral value. Unfortunately it’s not like that. I’ve paid personally for the truth and I have no intention to stay silent. Not because I’m finished if a cloak of silence falls on the affair, but only because the drama of these young people must be known to all. Behind the elegant double-breasted coats that are so proud of the sacrifice of our young people throughout the world, there is the hypocrisy of men who can no longer square their actions with their conscience.
I don’t want to talk about myself because the story of these young people is more important and those who read the book will understand and the “Grillo” will manage to shake up our consciences one more time.
Thank you for what you do!"
Domenico Leggiero.

Comments

Its very sad that this happens but these days one has to know when one signs up to be a soldier that this is the risk.

We know since Korea what kind of traumas ordinary soldiers can suffer on the battlefield and Gulf War Syndrome is very well known also.

The only way to stop people being posioned is to stop using the weapons. Its no good ensuring that soldiers are protected whilst local civilians continue to die from the actions of soldiers commanders.

Posted by: Aleks Delibasic | July 14, 2007 05:20 PM

Erich Fromm said there are thousand of potential Hitlers all round us, waiting for the right "zeitgeist" to manifest themselves...

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | June 6, 2006 07:55 PM

Looks like Adolf Hitler left some sons around.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | June 6, 2006 06:10 PM

Unfortunately this dramatic concern is part of the well-known “mercy strategy for democracy diffusion”... the teo-technological paradigm of the “USA & Friends” company.

Posted by: Stefano Porzio | June 6, 2006 04:36 PM

"collateral damage" ???? "merciful angel"????????
I wonder how people can remain unmoved by these aberrations! I say only that war is always bad, and the italian taking part in the war of Kossovo was a great mistake from the left government. I went out into the streets to demonstrate against that war, and I hope that the present italian government will pull out our troops from Iraq immediatly.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | June 6, 2006 02:34 PM

The bombing action was named "Merciful angel". For public, no uranium was ever used. Civilian victimes were called "collateral damage". Its not just Kosovo, whole Serbia is full of uranium, but who cares...we are just collateral of "someones mercy"

Posted by: Marina Madzarevic | June 6, 2006 12:33 PM