The black hole

flipper.jpg

What is advertising? We are so used to seeing it everywhere that we no longer ask ourselves if it’s useful or not. Is it useful? I propose that 100% of the advertising goes to Mediaset, that Publitalia be a monopoly, without competitors, that RAI is paid for by a tax on subscribers and without advertising. Only programmes without advertising. Doesn’t it make you feel better to hear the words: “without advertising”? When I pay for a packet of information, a film, TV programmes, or newspapers, I would like the choice: “with or without advertising?”

Advertising is devouring itself. Tennis and international football have disappeared. They are seen by an absolute minority of Italians on Sky. The others no longer see the advertising included in the events: banners, rackets, balls, shirts, and everything connected with the sport. They don’t even see the sport.

The pay channels eliminate mass advertising and promote selective advertising for the tiny number of the elect. For the others: nothing – no show and no advertising. Or rather they see lots of advertising and poor quality shows. They are financed and conditioned by the companies that pay for the advertising to the poor. The programmes are of such poor quality that choosing a pay channel seems obligatory.

Advertising has won and has killed information. But at the same time it is dying from itself. It is collapsing. It is promoting only useless goods or those that have no differences between them. In the former case, we can do without, in the latter case, one brand is like another. We all know that advertising is a tax we pay on the product. We are paying for the advertising spots. The advertising person is on the payroll of the consumer.

The freedom to buy a good without advertising inside should however be guaranteed by the Constitution. The citizen should have the possibility of choice. If you think about it, it’s fraud. If I buy a cinema ticket, I know what film I’ll see, but I don’t know what advertising I’ll see nor how much of it. This is advertising that I haven’t asked for, that I haven’t bought, and that I don’t want.

It’s an enchantment. It’s us that are permitting it to happen. Let’s look for places, products and information without advertising. If that’s not available, let’s protest to the theatre directors, the shopkeepers, and the newsagents, at the same volume as an advertising spot.

PS: This evening I will be at Salerno, together with experts on the theme of incinerators at 22:00 in piazza Flavio Gioia for a public debate about incinerators.

Comments

Prince, I can't guaranty what Berlusca said but unfortunately, is like that. I mean that if you don't know about the tree you are talking about something else:-)

Posted by: blisco jajo | June 24, 2006 06:48 PM

Hey, Blisco!
So, if a tree falls in the forest and is not on TV it doesn't exist?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | June 22, 2006 10:01 PM

As Berlusca said: What is not in the TV, doesn't exist. So, it will be a hard work to prove the contrary:-)

Posted by: blisco jaio | June 21, 2006 12:31 AM

Thinking about how bad and useless advertising is, it comes to mind what Albert Einstein once said: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

I propose a change to the Taxation system. Money spent on advertising to be deducted from Income on a 20% basis every year for 5 years, the way it happens for capital expenses.
In this way there will be less advertising and less added costs to products for the benefit of consumers.
But do not hold your breath for this to happen...

Posted by: baldo lucaroni | June 20, 2006 06:27 AM

But do not hold your breath for this to happen...

Posted by: baldo lucaroni | June 20, 2006 06:26 AM

Mr. Grillo points out and criticizes the saturation of advertisement in the media and everyday life. This is undeniably true, I turn around right now and see dozens of brand names grabbing my attention from the corner of my eye, every one of them a subtle reminder, influencing me as a consumer; don't get me started on what you see walking down the street. However I could not help but notice that even Mr. Grillo, on his blog, has an advertisement for his DVD (10 euro and 14 cents). I understand that he has to make a living, but isn't it a bit hypocritical of him to attack the television and cinema, after all the internet itself is probably the biggest advertising medium of them all.

Posted by: Carlo Martuscelli | June 20, 2006 02:02 AM

Here in USA I prefer to pay a little bit more to get HBO to watch movies without commercials (and the Sopranos) because it makes me mad the fact that I have to waste 4 minutes of my evening every 5 minutes of movie (Yes it is! I counted them when I made the mistake to turn on AMC).
I would like to know what happen to all the money that RAI rakes in Italy with the Canone TV because they play those stupid commercials like anybody else.
It's time to control the money that comes in and what gets out because if National TV can substain itself with commercials there is no reason to pay for this Canone. If the Canone must be paid because of those Blah Blah Blah's reasons then the commercials must either go away like years ago or, when there was Carosello, Break, Intermezzo and all the other scheduled space where those commercials were segregated and let us enjoy the movie from the beginning until the end.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | June 18, 2006 11:49 PM

Great! If something is really good (eg Parmesan cheese) you don't need to advertise it. Have you ever seen parmesan cheese being advertised?
Have you ever actually seen an advert and thought "my word, that looks interesting, I think I'll go and buy it!". Get rid of the lot and give it to MediaSet. The BBC is great because you don't get commercial breaks, which are only useful to take time out to go the the toilet or wash the supper dishes.

Posted by: Maureen Lister | June 18, 2006 01:30 PM