Comrades, you made a mistake

quarto_stato.jpg

Certainly the taxi drivers who beat up some journalists were wrong to do that. They should be condemned, as I do from the bottom of my heart. However, however…. I confess, I felt a tiny pin prick of pleasure, really teeny weeny.

As a group I don’t like those journalists, publishers, managers of journalists, directors of newspapers, all or almost all paid with public money.
When they have to make a stand they always make it in favour of those that pay them, in the interests of the publishers and the company of the presumed great signatures is always the same.

Just recently Tronchetti, Della Valle, Montezemolo and others have removed Colao from the top of RCS. Just to be clear, Colao was the boss of Mieli the director of Il Corriere della Sera. There’s a new editiorialindustrial line and no one opens their mouth to say a word.

In this game, the readers are not relevant. The group controlling Il Corriere (the putrid salon) do as they please.. Il Corriere has to go under. It has to close. As it is at the moment it is simply a tool of the economic and financial powers managed by private interests.

And the other newspapers? Those of the great left with a glorious past and a future as capitalists? If it’s possible, those are even worse.

Capitalism does not hide its appetites. It’s as it looks. It doesn’t claim moral firsts. Unlike Previti’s friend, Rifondazione Comunista, it doesn’t claim to re-educate us. Liberazione, the official newspaper of Rifondazione Comunista would not be able to exist without our taxes. And yet using the words of Rina Gagliardi it has condemned without appeal, the position of Antonio Di Pietro, considered to be “the Unione’s real time bomb”.

In fact Di Pietro is the only member of the Unione who does not want the pardon for people who are corrupt, for those who commit financial crimes. But this is not the official position of Rifondazione Comunista and so he has to be attacked. And l’Unità stays quiet. It shows indifference. If this is left-wing news provision I prefer Emilio Fede.

Comments

Instead of getting worked up about approximate translations, I really admire the guts of an Italian, like Beppe Grillo, who has no problem exposing worldwide the Italian political and contemporary situation, ludicrous as it is sometimes.

Why should one ask [Mr. English, for one] who blogs or posts here? Not all of us are Italian, and there are many Italians spread all over the world who probably can understand more English than Italian. Linguistic distance does have its nasty tricks.

And yes, talking about approximately translating from Italian to English, I would add that, however, the gist of the matter is always perceived. I, too, would have no problem translating from Italian to English but, sorry, I cannot do it for free. I have a family and two kids, one with very special needs, to maintain. As things stand, nothing in life can come for free... or if it is free it is not necessarily good quality.

Anyway, putting all this aside, I really liked the icy retort that Rifondazione Comunista is now also Previti's friend. As I pointed out in another post, here we have Prodi's government doing all the dirty laundry of Berlusconi's henchmen. Ah! Nothing changes much in the world of politics.

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | August 1, 2006 11:59 AM

dear robert,are you fron genova? they are call the scottish of italy,tight tight with money,well beppe is and I do not think you will get any penny from him,my was a joke,lots of blogger are complaining about the translation,for sure beppe has, some friend or volontier to do the job,so let be happy and thankfull with what we get,ciao -:)

Posted by: evakulnurae | August 1, 2006 12:03 AM

Eva,

I have no problems in providing my translation services for free to Mr Grillo. However, for the sake of equality and parity, he would have to donate the equivalent cost percentage from his own income to another charitable organisation. That is, if the free translations I provide for his Blog represent 5% of my total work for a week and is therefore income I have foregone by donating it to his Blog, then Mr Grillo similarly would have to donate 5% of his income for that week to a charity of his choice

I think that’s fair, don’t you? I would be interested on his views.

Posted by: Robert Tuppini | July 31, 2006 05:34 PM

Bobby "compagno" can also be translated as "companion", ie the person I break bread with, the person I share a table with, the person close to be (eg la mia compagna/il mio compagnio = partner.)
So why not political companions too ("comrade" smacks of "up the workers"). Check the dictionary!

Posted by: Maureen LIster | July 31, 2006 11:33 AM

robert,God bless you,are you offering your service, to translate beppe letters,for the good of the whole community that follow this blog?if so,I bet beppe would be wery happy,He need all the help he can get,and the others helpers can have a break and go in holiday,ciao

Posted by: eva kulnura | July 28, 2006 09:41 AM

It's wonderful to be able to read the blog and respond in English and it is very welcome.

Unfortunately sometimes the translation misses the meaning and intent or changes it by translating literally. I wonder if the translater sometimes looks up a word in the dictionary and uses the first meaning in the list for it without seeing it if is in context.

The syntax also leaves a lot to be desired and is very hard to follow at times. I continually have to revert back to the Italian section to understand the thread and meaning of what has been written.

That said, any translation is better than none.

Posted by: Robert Tuppini | July 27, 2006 12:57 PM

Ok, Bobby, it's bad english....! But, nobody of the many critics hat ever proposed himself to translate the blog, obviously for free!
;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | July 25, 2006 08:00 PM

"Companions, you made a mistake" ???

You too, Beppe & staff! Shame on you! "Companions"????

Even the worse English student may know that the Italian "compagno" is "comrade" in English... is berlusconi himself translating for you Beppe? You know, the guy saying "allow me"...

Italians!!!!!!

Posted by: bobby letter | July 25, 2006 03:16 PM

Ah the sweet revolving door of Italian politics. The names change and that's about it. Oh sorry this post was about the newspapers and big business, so there is no connection. Silly me.

Still you'd have to be desperate to want Mr Fede as an alternative. I always thought journalists were supposed to be objective and even if they lean in one or the other direction to do it subtly. Not Emilio though, nothing remotely subtle about him. I could think of a few words to describe him, but I'd get the media police waking me up in the middle of the night and subjecting me to some form of torture/brainwashing involving being stuck in front of Fede 'news' shows. Eek!

Posted by: Alex Roe | July 25, 2006 01:51 PM

with Emilio Fede at least you know what to expect.
Left press strictly write as told.... No matter what. It's rife.
Tonino should whinge less and act more. Either blackmailng his boss (it's the fashion these days) or resigning. If he wants to save the government but can't really stop them now, at least he can get them to have all crimes against public administration to be excluded from any kind of pardon from this last time on.

Posted by: Federica Savini | July 25, 2006 01:03 PM

I think this english side is very good and useful! English is the international language, and thanks this english version of the blog many other people in the world can read something about italian politics and life and express their opinions about it.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | July 25, 2006 12:41 PM

well said ganbriele!-:)

Posted by: eva kulnura | July 25, 2006 08:43 AM

This is an english site, not a site for only english speakers/readers.

To anybody whom translates the site: good job, keep the good work on, it is a great service.

Posted by: gabriele | July 25, 2006 08:17 AM

4 claudio and mr. english,claudio if you want to be picky,you could offer your service to beppe,to write better,and mr.english this side is use fron people of every nationality,we do have a very sweet mr.shen from china as well,but mostly it is italian like me living overseas, or first generation kids fron italian immigrants,I hope this exsplation is enought if not happy to help more,ciao-:)

Posted by: eva kulnura | July 25, 2006 02:22 AM

ya...u'r right man!!! bad english...
but even urs aint so good... :P (no offense)

and more: y do u post in here if ur italians???
i mean u read italian newspapers, right? so post in the italian section...

Posted by: leonard | July 25, 2006 02:18 AM

i dont get 1 thing...here it is: who's posting in here, uh?!?!

i mean they're supposed to be english, but they read italian newspaper...so the question is why dont they post in italian?!?! are they ok???

Posted by: Mr English | July 25, 2006 02:08 AM

Beppe, you need a better translator.
Many of your posts are translated into English in the most approximate way.

Posted by: Claudio | July 24, 2006 10:12 PM

Ciao Beppe,

Who is Pino Pisicchio?

I read on "La Repubblica " that he is the only member of "Italia dei Valori" whom will not vote against the law ( he simply will not vote ).

Shame of you Pisicchio, do you have any balls?

You are simply sitting on a nice chair because Antonio is ahead of the party.

Go back to a normal job if you have not the courage to fight, because as representative of the people you have to.

Ciao