Fantozzi is alive and is fighting with us

fantozzi.jpeg

I’ve received this letter from one of the many modern slaves. He worked 56 days (of 8 hours) a month. But this is science fiction, fantawork, fantacapitalism. When I read the email I didn’t want to believe it. I thought it was a joke by Paolo Villaggio. I phoned the guy who confirmed everything and said that I should put his name in full. If Lidl wants to write a reply I will publish it.

“I’d like to present myself: I’m called Emanuele D., I’m Pugliese, 32 years old, graduate in Economics and Commerce and I’ve been living in Bologna since I was one year old. Now I’ve got a problem. Have you ever heard of Lidl? It’s a German company that deals with mass distribution of products that are almost exclusively food. In Italy, it’s famous for its discounts among other things.

In December 2005 I was contacted by the directors of the company to have an interview that was “definitely interesting”. That’s how it all started. They offered me 29,000 Euro a year, company car, luncheon vouchers and all the necessary package to become what was called the Head of the Sector. That means a manager at an intermediate level with the same responsibilities as an area Head but where the area is a province rather than a region.

On 15 December, I left my old job as a regular employee “head of section” in an electronics distribution chain. On 2 January, I started with these Germans! Every morning up at 5:00am. From that day on my life has been turned upside down! My day started with the unloading of the trucks full of goods. Naturally I’m on my own and I have to use the force in my own arms. Then I have to prepare the display for fruit, for bread and the areas for the meat and once more I’m lifting kilo after kilo of goods.

At 9:00am, the shop opens to the public and only then do the first employees arrive. (Of course they are all on a training scheme and they all have a thousand doubts and questions that have to be answered by me.) And up until 9:00pm, I have to turn my hand to every type of activity that is carried out in a supermarket.

Obviously, if I have a bit of time on my hands they offer me the chance to go and clean the shop’s open-air car park. In winter it’s difficult for the clients to park there if there’s snow. If there’s spare time I can even eat something. Obviously that has to be after 3:30pm because another truck to be unloaded arrives at lunchtime.

After the shop closes I put everything in order so that the whole shop (1286 square metres) is ready for opening the next day. The shop that is under my control has the luck to be under-staffed because it has a strong turnover and so after 9:00pm I’m always working alone.

If everything goes well, I finish at 10:30pm. If everything isn’t going well at 10:30pm, when I think I’ve finished my day’s work, the night controller arrives. That’s my colleague whose job is to check on my work. My work is never satisfactory and so I have to keep working on into the night trying to do everything satisfactorily. But I’m thinking that I’m staying on only because of my own negligence.

There are also days when there’s a nighttime inventory when I work from 5:00am in the morning to 3:30am and then start again an hour and a half later. The rest day that is due to me is best not used so that I can have fewer nights to be worked. Sundays are not days for God but the day when the shop is closed and I don’t go to Church but taking advantage of the absence of clients there are other inventories or refurbishments.

In this nightmare situation, I also had a bereavement in the family. For this I was entitled to 5 days since I had to travel to Brindisi. My superiors thought that 3 days would be more than enough and when I got back they accused me of having abandoned my post without having ensured that everything had been prepared and ready for the subsequent 3 days.

I also had an accident and I had to ask permission to leave the shop to go the Accident and Emergency department and get some stitches in my hand. It took 2 hours to get this permission and when I got back I was accused of having abandoned my post without having ensured that everything had been prepared and ready for the time I was away.

This is not only my experience. In fact there were 83 of us who started this training in Italy (13 in Emilia Romagna) and now there are only 24 people (3 including myself in Emilia Romagna). We are the only ones who continue to have the strength to do this every morning. The costs of the products continue to be low because the company does not pay overtime (because if you work more it’s only because it’s your fault), feast days are not taken (because you are being trained and the more you work, the more you learn).

Their policy is one of terror. The employees must be afraid so as to avoid every type of complaint or request. In fact the Trades Unions don’t manage to have any representative in the shops.

Looking on the internet, I have discovered dozens of statements like mine. In fact a “black” book has been published: the Schwarzbuch. It’s even possible to find information about this on WIKIPEDIA. It talks about countless examples of Lidl maltreating its employees.

At the umpteenth unjustified insult, tired of getting calls at every hour of the day, of not even having the time to recover my energy, just 4 days from the end of the probation period I tried to stand up to their behaviour and thus I was obliged to present a letter of resignation. I just managed to not do this thanks to the help of one who, like me, lived through these horrible months and who allowed me not to succumb to their blows.

I have been off sick since then. I need to get back my equilibrium. An equilibrium that they took away from me. I am facing up to the situation with the help of a Trades Union. They are helping me fight something that I was not expecting. A letter telling me I am dismissed. It arrived while I was off sick. Their policy goes beyond every logic of the market. They take advantage of people until they are exhausted and then they throw them away. Anyway with such attractive contracts they’ll find another young person who will think that finally he can build something for his future.

What I’m looking for now is definitely to get over this experience. But I want other people to know. Those who are happy to have found a shop near home where they can make savings. I want them to know where the saving comes from. We aren’t sewing footballs and we are all adults. But we are putting up with abuse and conditions of work that are not worthy of a country that is keen to be part of Europe. The hours worked are 16 hours a day for 28 days which is 448 per month. Making an hourly rate of 3.48 Euro. The contract is for 42 hours a week (elastic) as a manager.

I would like to write a million other things. I would like to get scores of colleagues to talk about this. They too are obliged to cope with the most intolerable situations. I hope at least that I have opened up a route so that everyone can understand all this. I hope this will mean that no one will ever have to find themselves in conditions in which they have to marry the company that they work for and even grant them “conjugal rights” in a passive way obviously.
Thank you for the energy that you dedicate to all that you do for everyone.
Emanuele.

P.S. Tonight I’ll be at Porto Viro: "La scienza in piazza... per salvare il Delta" {Science in the open air … to save the Delta} at 21.30 in the town square.

Comments

What emmanuel said is 100% true. I still work in one of the shops (looking for another job). The managers treat staff like shit, with no respect. If you work till 23h they can decide to pay you till 21h.whenever you complain about something they will tell you that if you are not happy leave.

Posted by: Paul Felix | December 6, 2007 01:02 PM

I applied for a job with lidl a few weeks ago and judging by the interview I would not recommend anyone apply for it. The regional director interviewed me and was dog ignorant to say the least. She was one of the most unpleasant people I've ever met. She lacked any real interviewing skills, 'sell yourself' ... That was her input into the interview. She described the role and began to undermine my qualifications and skills in an obvious attempt to make me think I was lucky to get the job offer from them and as such would take it and work anywhere necessary in Ireland at the drop of a hat, even if it meant havning to be up at 3am to commute in order to be in a branch at 6am to prepare for a full days work.

Given the hours she expressed I would have to work, the salary quickly diminished to about 4 euro per hour as an area manager. She said I would 'live' in my car, she practically asked me to get rid of my partner and family/friends to suit the hours she would like me to do.

I ended the interview abruptly, telling her that I had no interest in being exploited and degraded.

I mailed lidl afterwards to express my horror and disgust at the company image portrayed to me and the unprofessional interview I was subjected to. I heard nothing back.

I've since looked online and come across hundreds of workers stories of abuse. Stories of illegal working hours, illegal working conditions, spying on staff, preferring young staff that are easily manipulated etc.

I would never recommending even interviewing for these dogs, let alone working for them!

Posted by: David nally | July 3, 2007 07:10 PM

I'd like to say I was shocked by what I read however I was with those b******s for a year and a half. I joined when I was 20 an a student, £6 an hour was far beyond anything I could get anywhere else. After 6 months I was made a Duty manager which entitled me to £6.50 an hour plus an extra £1 an hour for every hour I was left as the senior staff member (duty hours), promotion was in february by August I was on £6.20 an hour and by November hasd recieved 23 duty hours... I averaged 14 duty hours a week over this period. as it stands they owe me £800 plus.
Further to this in the 2 years the store has been open there are only 3 of the original 15 staff, we were held up on 3 seperate ocassions an the safe broken into once at night and once by a security guard... there are still no security cammeras........

Posted by: Craig McDougall | March 13, 2007 06:10 AM

I live in Ireland and have been shopping in Lidl since it was allowed to open in our town (the Chamber of Commerce wasn't very keen on cheap competition and delayed it as long as possible). I still shop in Lidl; not because I'm not concerned about the internal and external exploitation involved, but because I can't afford to shop anywhere else (this is Ireland)! - Oh, and I am a Lidl employee as well, and I can assure you it is as bad as described here! I was working in a factory before and made loads of money - but the night work completely destroyed my health, and so I signed a contract with Lidl after being guaranteed I wouldn't have to work nights. Of course this guarantee isn't honoured, and I have to get up at 4am every night now. They try to call me in the middle of the night when they need someone in (but of course, as a Lidl employee I never sleep anywhere near my mobile), even when I'm sick or on holidays! Many employees are denied their legal daily rest periods on a regular basis, and if they refuse (as I did) their hours are cut down. You have the manager at your back at all times (who seems to live in the store and probably just passes the pressure on that he gets himself) because whatever you do is not fast enough. (For example, I was given 15 minutes for changing a bulk palette; I did it in 9 minutes, and the next time I had to do it in 8.) You also have to work until everything is finished; and since that can't possibly be done within the time you're scheduled for, you have to add a few hours of your own time for which you won't get paid. And if you're called in for extra hours, they'll be conveniently 'forgotten' on the payroll. - I have had my share of nasty employers, and I always thought it couldn't get worse; but the Lidl Shop of Horrors beats them all!

Posted by: Jim Cullen | January 24, 2007 10:25 PM

From now on I will boycot Lidl. Recently I heard that Wall Mart is closing down buisiness in Germany. I always thought Wall Mart was the most evil company that pays little wages and would treat their staff like shit. Well Lidl is bad. Is Aldi as evil as Lidl?

Posted by: Frank Schuster | November 11, 2006 11:30 PM

Hi Alessandro,

As you can read in the media, Lidl treats all their workers like slaves. I don't think that it is only a problem of Germany or German companies. It is more a negative effect of globalisation and managers that never learned ethical behaviour.

But I'm really proud that European consumers belong to the most critical in the world. We can exert pressure on LIDL, by not buying there anymore :-)

German media is sometimes really confusing and I have to confess, that I don't like the way they sometimes write. Normally they exaggerate in the attempt to be critical. Germans are used to it and don't take it too serious. On the other hand we have a very wide media landscape which ensures diversity in reporting.

I don’t know who likes Germans or Italians… Me personally I like individual people … or no I definitively love Swedish girls ;-)

I’m happy for Italy winning the World championship, but 2010 we’ll it try again.

Posted by: Gregor Müller | July 24, 2006 04:32 AM

I am another ex LIDL's worker and I can confirm all that Emanuele wrote.
I realized after 3 days how nazist they are. Fortunately I have had the possibility to get another job, but most of the guys who were working with me, had no other choice and need to bring back money for their families....

Francesco

Posted by: Francesco Turriziani | July 18, 2006 09:01 PM

to all the germans stating
" we should not generalize..."
YES THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT WE SHOULD NOT DO...
sad that you do this regularly against
italians, people from Türkey, Americans and so on...
when der Spiegel prints articles like the one of Achilles mentioned here in this very same blog, then it is humorism, in your opinion
when der Spiegel prints a cover with a plate of spaghetti and a gun it is humorism in your opinion,
when you say that everyone should boycott Italy because "... they corrupted the last WM (championship... so that your player Frings could not play against Italy" it is humorism in your opinion,
when the people call us spaghettifresser (Moik for example, but even a politician of SPD in the Munich city, who is still on his place...) then it is all humorism,

and then, when an Italian gets treated like a slave in a GERMAN company, then you want as always to minimalize everything...
perhaps there are some reasons why no one except germans like germans!
With Kind Regards,
Alessandro
Mafioso corrupted (in your opinion, at least)

Posted by: Ogheri Alessandro | July 18, 2006 05:24 PM

Prince: No beef between us ;-))))

Posted by: raffaella biferale | July 17, 2006 03:41 PM

Ludwig: in the american slang, "to have a beef" means to be mad at somebody :)

Raff: you are right. There are just persons with beef and persons without beef.
Just make sure that the beef is not purchased at Lidl :)

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | July 17, 2006 10:32 AM

@Ludwig: ich kenne der Spruch "Geiz ist geil!". Ich bin deiner Meinung: die Deutsche wollen (oder besser gesagt, muessen)immer mehr sparen, in Italien ist genau so, das ist auch verstaendlich,waehrend die einfache Leute immer aermer werden, die reichen werden immer reicher.
@Prince: I hate every generalization. Have you read the very interesting discussion on this blog, about Der Spiegel? I think there is no "italians", or"germans" but only persons. The individual differences are more important. What happened by Lidl is everywhere possible, unfortunetly.

Posted by: raffaella biferale | July 17, 2006 03:10 AM

Hallo!

Giovanni, if by "beef" You mean something negative - no beef. :)

Saluti!

Ludwig

Posted by: Ludwig Meyerhoff | July 16, 2006 07:24 PM

OK, Ludwig.

So, as I asked before, no beef?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | July 16, 2006 12:01 PM

Hallo Giovanni!

If You live in another country preventing You from following everything that happens everywhere, You should be careful with such stupid generalizations.

I have a Lidl just in front of my home. I just have to cross the street.

The discussion with the union is going on since two years I think, and I have seen one or two manifestations at "my" Lidl.
Sadly, the site is in German only, but the union has a special website and a blog: http://lidl.verdi.de/

There are many people who do not buy at Lidl, I am one of them (just in desperate cases of need or lazyness).
On the other hand they have low prices and a few years since germans are very keen on spending as less as possible! "Geiz ist geil!" (it. "L' avarizia è bella!") is the slogan of "Saturn" and that is the point.

That is crucial to understand the problem.
People do not want to spend money and they are willing to get CRAP!
Either in a material way (low quality) or in a social way (workers with no rights).

Saluti!

Ludwig

Posted by: Ludwig Meyerhoff | July 16, 2006 11:35 AM

Hello, Ludwig!

Unfortunately, living in another country doesn't allow me to follow everything that happens everywhere.

How long is this lawsuit going on between Lidl and the union?
Is there any ending in view or is Lidl continuing to their business regularly?
What is the people thinking about it? Nobody is boycotting this company?

And, as I wrote below, I don't want to generalize in my comments but what I saw on my own doesn't leave much to imagination...
Of course, if you are not part of those cases, there shouldn't be any beef between us.

Ciao.

Giovanni

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | July 16, 2006 08:36 AM

Hallo!

Dear "Giovanni Principe", just for Your information, Lidl is unde rheavy attack from public opinion and from the "Gewerkschaften" (it. "sindacati") exactly for the horrible circumstances employees are forced to work.

Ver.di (one "sindacato") has fought a battle with Lidl because they wanted to close a shop in an old building somewhere and open another one, with completely new staff, on the other side of the road.

It is not a question of "Germans not forgetting their origins". It is a question of the "cheap, cheap, cheap mentality" big discounters like Lidl propagate.

As Emanuele said, the cheapness has to come from somewhere: and if it was not the product itself, it were the employees.

Saluti!

Ludwig

Posted by: Ludwig Meyerhoff | July 15, 2006 03:05 PM

French people says: On n'a rien sans rien; which it means that we can't have anything if we don't do something. There are plenty of biographies showing that the people who arrived on the top, they started lower than anybody. Leonardo da Vinci also said that to arrive on the top like an artist you have to have talent and to be hungry. The big difficulty nowadays is to be hungry because parents, associations, unions or insurances of any kind empeach us to have too much difficulties. In Italy, more than everywhere, unfortunately also because the culture is like that,is worser than anywhere (Somebody will say that is better than anywhere). When somebody don't want to do something is more easy to find reasons. I'm sorry for you Fresco but what you are saying about your parents is not a reason to cease to fight.
I know personaly a russian girl who started to teach the languages and mathematics that she was learning herself, to other young students with reach parents, when she was 14 to have very small money because she hasn't parents to help her. Now, while she is working very hard for an american company in Dubai, she is preparing her self for a master degree in the university of Bern. She did that with her own money and she is very proud about.
Some weeks ago, I already wrote it here around, while we were walking in the street, she was very pleased to see how a young handsome man was looking at her.Some minutes after, inside a station, she was very disappointed to discover that the guy was selling sandwiches in a corner.
It was difficult to say that, maybe, this guy was working to pay himself his university cause he was 35. With his swiss nationality and in his swiss country anybody can do better, she said!
Now, I want to tell you why I like this people and I am sorry for the others like you or like the one who is complaining to Grillo about his situation. You had a father and a mother, a university and a country ready to give you all the possibilities to be better than any one,and better than your parents and you are complaining as if you had not enough. There is something wrong somwhere. One of this days, like the sons of Tolstoi or the sons of Gorki in his "Childwood" you will force your mother to sell the house, in order to have money enough to live. Are you really going to do that?

Posted by: Blisco jaio | July 15, 2006 10:43 AM

dear emanuele, there are millions of people like you in this world, I am one of them,we cannot sleep, and work wery hard 24/7 without getting no money, and those most of us have two job,I am talking abouts mothers, mothers of the wordl,I know you are bitter about your esperience,but rimenber you got choices,ciao good luck

Posted by: eva kulnura | July 15, 2006 10:07 AM

Francesco

One can have all the pains in his life, and I think that almost everybody has stories to share.
If your life has been all pain, can you tell me why in all the companies that I've been (customers and employers) I always found a lack of skilled workers just because nobody wants to smell like cutting oil and nobody gives a shit about his job?
In my company I expect everybody to care about the problems that we are given and this often takes the extra effort out of everybody.
If I see that somebody slacks over it on a regular basis, that means that he can find another job.
Is too comfortable t sit there and demand a higher position without having the experience, that always comes out when you put the extra effort.
That's my "no pain no gain" philosophy.
We all have expectations: if these are not met we move on and until we don't find what we like, we treasure every day as a school and then we move on because nobody can do it for you.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | July 15, 2006 05:37 AM

I admire the ability of Emanuele to work at such impressive rythms for a long time. But I am not convinced by his claim that Lidl's policy is a scandal.
He was working for them up to when he considered the salary worth the work. The same do the other employees that work for Lidl. Slavery is FORCED labour, that is, I force you, against your will, to work for me. But if you sign a contract to work for me and you are free to exit that contract at any time, then this is not slavery, it is just very hard work. If he did not like the work, he should have resigned. At least, this is my opinion about his case from what I have heard of it.
I agree though that prospective workers at Lidl should be made fully aware of the working conditions and environment at Lidl so that they can choose (whether to accept to work at Lidl or not) with more information.

Posted by: Tommaso Tempesti | July 14, 2006 07:04 PM

Just one question for you Emanuele: if a managerial position is offered and your contract states an hourly wage of 3.48 Euros, I would expect a 32 years old man to be suspicious. No manager gets such peanuts. By law, in the UK there is a minimum wage that is 5 Pounds per hour. Given your previous position of responsibility, 3.48 Euros per hour are an insult to your skills and experience, no matters what fringe benefits you get.

Anyway, this is the way multinationals and not makes their money. We could draw a list which includes many well known brands and London is the top example for that. Given the reputation as financial hub which every year attracts fresh investments from foreign companies, these companies can rely on the local cheap labor made of foreigners (mostly overseas students). Although operating in different sectors, these Companies share the same policy about wages: high and with excellent benefits for area or district managers and “peanuts” for the work force. Top managers are English mother tongue and workers of other mixed nationalities with few exceptions. The work force is then “brainstormed” with programs or schemes promising to improve their skills. The “hard to die” are given a promotion to supervisor and …..et Voila’!, from now on you will get peanuts and butter instead of only peanuts but your work load will change enormously. No mention to say, pressure will be higher and higher in order to push you to leave with another one taking over your job as a “trainee” (and therefore less pay) and ….. so on …. so forth……

So bad ? Not really as long as your reason to work in such places is only for getting experience or to improve the local language if you are foreigner. One, maximum 2 years is enough but anyway there should always be some health & safety standards guaranteed by the company which make your job easier to perform without risks.

If what Emanuele states in his letter is true, LIDL could be sued for negligence in health and safety standards towards his employees. This is what Emanuele could argue against and if the Italian Trade Unions could show you support instead of protecting the scandalous employees of the loss making Alitalia, this would benefit all the real Italian hard workers and the Country’s economy.

Good luck Emanuele. Keep up and always stand for your dignity that in such case has been stolen.

Posted by: Christian Ekipaser | July 14, 2006 04:30 PM

Now, for real. We are talking about two different things. Your stories are about finding bad jobs with no other options, you can't compare to this guy who is 32, he has got a degree and finds working at lidl too hard for him.

Fine, quit. Or do not accept the job in the first place, since I know they tell you in at the interviews that you will not have a life and work your ass off.

What do you think, that working in consultancy, in an investment bank or auditing is any better? 18-20 hours a day, somedays maybe 24. So what?
Don't like it? Don't work there.

In the italian version of the forum there is the comment of this guy's employer, who has done the same exact job before.
Apart from accusing him of being a slag-off (and we don't know who is telling the truth) he approached working at lidl with a different mindset. Working there for a while, aiming higher afterwards, since having lidl on your resume means that you worked your ass off and it is very well seen.

What i mean with this is: people should stop looking for something to be the definitive job. They just want to be parked somewhere, have their 9-5, their coffee break, live relaxed. I'm fine with that, just don't go complaining around if you choose what it is not meant for you. And worse, accuse of slavery. Lame.

Let's all just get a job from the government, be all paid the same, working half day.

oh yeah, don't forget to boicott lidl.

Posted by: Paolo Boidi | July 14, 2006 03:58 PM

"As they say here in USA, no pain no gain." Oh BOOOOYY!! That omnipotent American propaganda machine has obviously gotten to you. No pain, no gain??? Really?? Alright then, here we go: How do you explain the fact that less than 1% of the US population own and controls about 40% of the national assets (GDP)? How does "no pain no gain" accoutn for the fact that income for the top managers in the US has increaed by something like 320% in the last 20 years, while the average income for the average worker has consistently decreased over the same period?

Here are some more personal examples of pain without gain: My father fought in the Korean war, came back to the US and, because of his lack of education-- he was an elementary-school dropout who was brainwashed by the US propaganda machine into beleiving that machismo and muscle power were more important than knowledge--took a job as a truck driver for a large warehoouse company. He would often carry refrigorators (yes, the huge American ones of the 1960's!!) up and down people's stairwells just to show how strong and tough he was. He made diddly squat in terms of salary and his life was so f***ing horrid that he became a bitter and consumptive alcoholic who smoked four packs of cigarettes a day (rememeber that the US miliatry used to promote cigarettes as a relaxant in those magnificent days).

What do you think happened to him? Obviously he developed a maligant metastatic carcinoma of the mouth at the age of about 39 and suffered unspeakbly in and out of a Veteran's hospital where he was treated like an experimental lab rat (he has all of his teeth pulled out without anesthetia, for example). Much pain, no gain!!

My mother, and immigrant from Italy, was forced to raise two kids on a paltry Veteran's pension. She had to go to work as an nurse's aid (she was a respected shool teacher in Italy!!) where she was racially insulted and derided because of her lack of knowledge of English. My father and grandmother would not let her go to school because he was a jealous authoritarian ass who insisted on controlling every single thing she said and did. My older brother was sexually assualted and truned to hard drugs. My mother slaved at work and slaved to take care of two kids (one of whom was drugged out, mentally ill and violent) and slaved to take care of my American grandmother. She could not get a better job because she had no connections, no family and she was forced not to learn English.
Much pain, no gain.

My brother is deeply mentally ill (post-traumatic stress sydrome casue by sexual molestation and probably genetic bipolar disorder). He cannot hold a job. Hence he could not get treatment (no insurance without an employer in the US), hence he could not get better, hence he could not get a job, hecne he could not get treamtment, etc. etc... He ended up homeless for about 12 years. Much pain, no gain!!!

I will stop here.

Posted by: Francesco Franco | July 14, 2006 10:53 AM

Blisco!
With your last answer you got to the point.
Before landing my actual job as a Project Manager, I had to last 2 years with a job that I did not like very well but helped me build my character and my experience (with a German company as well). I waited for the opportunity and I grabbed it with my nails and my teeth.
As they say here in USA, no pain no gain.
As for what I wrote below about the Germans, I don't want to generalize ( also because I have a couple of friends there) but after the last 3 years I think that that mentality is not completely gone away in that nation.

As for Lidl, I hope that they will have their Montgomery Boycott as soon as possible.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | July 14, 2006 04:40 AM

Fresco, if your knowings in informatics are like your knowings in english, no doubts that it was better to leave philosophy too. You are right, stay with your mummy as much as you can.
Ladies and gentleman we have here a real sample of the italians mammoni. We have to take care about him. Maybe we didn't understand anything about life and he can explane to us what is better to do.By the way, italian blog is on the other side. Hm ?

Posted by: Blisco jaio | July 13, 2006 09:11 PM

We all use cars and burn petrol but we would want to breath air fresh and pure. I think that to have low prices we have to admit thatlow costs are needed.
This is the fondamental rule to make businnes. It's a pity that people who has plenty of diplomas have to make stupid jobs and work like slaves. It's looking more and more like in the east countries. But I think it will be more and more like this. We have arrived at the end of the golden years. What I found dramatic is this man who is an economist of 32 year old who comes here to complain like a young guy. This shows to us that a diploma means nothing if nobody teach us the laws of the life. Lots of others, in Italy are just leaving with the parents without working at all and they are older than him. Is this better?

Posted by: Blisco jaio | July 13, 2006 04:36 PM

DAL BELGIO !
E' tutto vero cari amici... io ho un amico che ha dovuto sopportare la stessa cosa alla LIDL. Vi comunico inoltre che anche le altre due "società-lagher" tedesche : ALDI e SCHLEKER si comportano allo stesso modo. Una mia amica "responsabile di negozio" da SCHLEKER a Bruxelles lavora dalle 9.00 alle 19,30 dal lunedi al sabato. Al Giovedi si deve scaricare il camion della merce e posizionare i carrelli delle merci tutta da sola (il camionista fuma sul camion...anche se lui centra poco) e la Domenica pomeriggio la passa in negozio a prezzare i prodotti e a prepararsi per il lunedi (giorno di controlli...dopo 3 controlli negativi si è messi alla porta...). Stipendio ricco ? giudicate voi... 1,100 Euro Netti al mese. LA CINA E VICINA !!!

Posted by: Claudio Scolari | July 13, 2006 02:39 PM

The correct translation of fantascienza into English is science fiction not fantascience (no such word). This is one of those examples of the tremendous plasticity of the Italian langauge, where you can add prefixes and suffuxes almost ad infinitum, but they have not correspondents in English. Fantawork is not an English word; you would have to say something like "phony work" "articifical work" or other awkward phrases.

In any case, on the subject of exploitation and so on, please do not be too hard on the Germans. If you think Lidl is bad, you should read up a little bit about Walmart in the US (where I come from) some time.

Frank

Posted by: Francesco Franco | July 13, 2006 01:55 PM

Tutto questo è noto e stranoto, infatti anch'io, pur essendone informato (in Germania la compagnia in questione gode infatti di pessima stima proprio per questo modo di calpestare con i piedi qualsiasi diritto dei lavoratori) avevo risposto a uno dei loro allegri annunci, volendomi trasferire appunto in Puglia.
Essendo bilingue, sono stato subito invitato, e quanto esposto in quel colloquio mi ha convinto che mai e poi mai avrei accettato di lavorare in siffatte condizioni - meglio fare il disoccupato oppure un lavoro onesto e pagato di meno.
Approffittano senza vergogna della ahime precarietà di questo momento, e c'è che ci casca oppure ci prova, tanto, che alternative ci sono?
Fate come me che non ci vado neanche a fare la spesa, e pagassi anche il doppio altrove!

Posted by: Oliver Koch | July 13, 2006 12:26 PM

the only way to stop all this is to boicot,the general public should know all of this and stop by in their shop ciao

Posted by: eva kulnura | July 13, 2006 11:52 AM

Hi, This is Arthur Shen from Haining China.

Attention should be paid upon that German company, I think. Human beings should not be treated as animals. This is just common sense.

Posted by: Arthur Shen | July 13, 2006 11:31 AM

If we will continue to do nothing, this will expand in the other areas of business.
For sure I will never set foot in a Lidl ever again.
That also says it loud about the Germans not forgetting their origins.....

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | July 13, 2006 06:30 AM