Infrastructures of the mind

Matisse.jpg

Our world is dominated by the ethics of movement. The one who doesn’t move is lost. The one who stays still is an ignoble lazy person, a subversive, an enemy of the GDP. There’s much talk of the infrastructures of steel and cement, of rails, motorways, bridges, tunnels. Structures that carry empty trucks and cars with a single person.

The car is an accessory for petrol. It serves to consume petrol and to sell petrol. A box of steel plates full of gadgets with the average speed of a mule.
Infrastructures of the mind, that have no cost, that free up time, that give us the choice whether or not to move or stay where we are. No one bothers about these infrastructures.

Fast connectivity for all Italian families and online services for paying ICI, getting a driving license, an identity card, a document declaring the status of the family. To be able to sign up your child with the health system and to choose a paediatrician, the family doctor, to book an appointment, to attend a university lecture. All this is not a priority.

To give incentives to promote tele-working, to avoid congestion in the cities is not a priority. A different way of organising companies using the Internet is not a priority. The reduction of ADSL costs is not a priority. Nor is it a priority to have 100% coverage of ADSL over the whole territory of Italy. (Gentiloni, to do this it would be enough to liberalise the “last mile”.)

The Internet frees up the movement of intelligence, of ideas. The Internet does not cause traffic accidents and it saves time, masses of time. I want a world dominated by the ethics of time, against the waste of queues, of offices, of elevators.

Man is a made of time. He is a product with a sell-by date. Let’s free up the time we use to move around for the sake of it. It’s only useful to the petrol people, the Ministry of Finance and those who make cars and roads. Less moving around, more time for ourselves, even to do nothing, but without excess as “doing nothing is the hardest work of all.”

Comments

Look at all the posibilities of this "factory" of widgets RSS "beon" presents you:

It´s great, isn´t it?

Posted by: alhaurin | February 28, 2007 11:07 PM

Un'occhiata alle infinite possibilità da questa ‘factory' di widgets RSS che ha appena presentato ‘beon ':
Saluti;-)

Posted by: alhaurin | February 28, 2007 11:06 PM

Even if you're lying down doing nothing, your entire state of body and mind is in a constant flux. That's still moving. We'll still need food to be brought to us in one form or another. The 'petrol people' still benefits! :)

Posted by: Peter Kua | July 5, 2006 05:01 AM

Raf, it's what I wanted to know:-)

Posted by: blisco jaio | July 4, 2006 06:21 PM

Oh my God, Blisco! A man in bed shouldn't be in HURRY!!!!!!!!!;-)))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | July 4, 2006 12:20 PM

Raf :-), if I understand you, in other words, a woman and a man in bed could be a good explanation of what you are saying? ;-)

Posted by: blisco jaio | July 4, 2006 12:03 PM

Blisco, I believe you. I believe also in individual differences, they are the basis of my job!
There are many people who are feeling better if they are in hurry, that means that for these persons the hurry is congenial of their nature. In this cases there is no stress, because stress will be established only under some condition, namely the person must feel unable to comply with the requests of his environment.
;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | July 3, 2006 04:18 PM

Raf, the stress can start just before to go to work because you have to get up too early or while you are on the way with the trafic jams...Then, if you have to finish an order for the day after and you colleague is absent...There is many reasons. I know people that they are better when they are in a hurry...Me:-)

Posted by: blisco jajo | July 3, 2006 03:51 PM

From the beginning of the internet era, I was immediately fallen in love with the net!
My ennemies ;-) say that the reason is my irreparable laziness ;-)))) but I was so happy to be able to do a lot of things without going out from my room!
Then, reflecting upon it, I can see that this is a great opportunity even for not lazy persons ;-), it's a opportunity to go fast without stress, to improve the effectiveness of the public administration, to preserve the environment and, last but not least, to have more time for oneself.
I hope that this new government will o make an effort to give us a full connectivity!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | July 3, 2006 03:12 PM

Blisco!!!!! ;-)
You are right, but why couldn't they work without stress? The outcome would be better!
;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | July 3, 2006 12:10 PM

Thank you very much for writing on this topic. The infrastructure is broken in many places (postal mail, telephone, internet, bank, reliable equipment in shops and services, public doctors, bureaucratic permissions, public transportation) that I need to have for a normal working life. I lose hours every week managing these simple aspects. I have now the rare opportunity to make my astrophysics research independent and working where I want in the world, but as pleasant as the climate and people and food are in Italy, I can't seriously consider doing my independent research in Italy with such a broken infrastructure. I feel very sad about this because I adore many aspects about this country.

Posted by: Amara Graps | July 3, 2006 10:14 AM

..it seems to be very interesting

Posted by: paolo majo | July 3, 2006 04:35 AM

Raf, unfortunately, there is only a queen bee in a honeycomb. The others have to work:-)

Posted by: Blisco jaio | July 2, 2006 10:04 PM

My life is deliberately a "slow life", I hate hurry, anxiety , agitation. I'm happy when the waiter doesn't serve the dinner in five minutes, and when I can allow me to spend a day without doing anything profitable, only thinking,listening music, reading a good book, chatting with a friend, or making love.
People say that time is money, maybe, I prefer to say that time is a treasure, and that the most beautiful things in life are all for free!
:-)