Al Capone for President

Al_Capone.jpg

Matthew Godfrey, aged 27 from Ohio takes a photo of the Cappella di San Severo in Naples. His camera is snatched by a couple of robbers. He follows them and blocks them in Vico Maiorani. He shouts out “Aiuto polizia” {Help police}. Then he sees a dozen people running towards him. He breathes a sigh of relief.
I thought all these people wanted to help me, but that wasn’t it, I can’t believe it…” The people were running to help the thieves. They beat up Matthew who had to go to hospital for seven days. Rosa Russo Jervolino, the mayor of the city was amazed by the happening and declared that it was “ a badly understood sense of solidarity with the neighbourhood”
This is the new Italy that makes progress.
The one of the post-pardon where at last you can do injustice on your own. If justice cannot be applied, then why can’t injustice be allowed? “Injustice has been done” will become the slogan of all those who in a transparent way, in a crystal clear way, with ad hoc laws, amnesties, even with revolts in the streets, if necessary, will defend their illegitimate interests when faced with the rest of the community.
If a ticket inspector finds a passenger without a ticket, the other passengers will be able to throw the inspector off the train while it’s moving, if a politician ends up in prison we can let him out with a pardon, if someone collaborates with the magistrates we can throw him off an overpass.
We’ve had enough of ethics, with the hairy moralisms of Berlinguer. The Italians have their pockets full of what’s forbidden and of penalties. Justice is an abstract concept. It’s there and it’s not. It depends on the point of view. Today those who resist are some annoying bastards who really don’t want justice, but a horrible justicism. Let’s put them in prison.
The freedom to be a delinquent must be made Constitutional. The penal code must be depenalised.
The delinquents must no longer be criminalized and obliged to hide. I propose an 'Al Capone Pride Day' in which anyone can do outing: fraudsters, entrepreneurs, politicians, without having to be ashamed any more. Injustice is just and must be applied, with no discounts for the just.

Comments

emanuela, I have been to perth,perth it's a great city if you have a family,but if I was joung and single I would choose another part of australia,now I do not know what's your situation is,good luck with your immigration problems ,hope you can solve this soon,and relax in this great country,ciao

Posted by: evakulnurae | August 14, 2006 04:28 AM

Hi eva...,I live in Perth, a five minute-walk from the beach. Nature is wonderful and the low cost of living made me come down here from Rome. But if I had the financial opportunity to stay in my own country I would have never exchanged the ancient historical streets of Rome, though polluted, with a clear sea (that I can still find in some place in Italy). It's a matter of interests I suppose. I'm not a permanent resident yet and I've been fighting for nearly three years to obtain the right to stay, I've spent all my money for that, not to mention I've put my health in danger so unbelieveble the stress that I've encountered. But the future here has heaps of opportunities for me in terms of jobs or opening my own business (Australia is ranked 6° in the world scale as easy country where to open a business, Italy is 70°). In spite of this I still find myself not right in this country, as the guys arrived recently from Italy, we all have the same sensation. P.S. Last night I had my alcohol check no. 21.

Posted by: Emanuela Canini | August 13, 2006 11:45 AM

Emanuela,unlike you I find Australia wonderfull,and specially the freedom, the space,and how you put it the lack of culture,(aboriginal culture as been around for thousand years,very interesting),I do not find the fear you mention,and in 15 years, I have been ,stop ,only once fron the police,I do not know where you live in australia,but I can tell you I,live in paradise I could'n never afford this lifestyle in italy, and great for my kids,,here the beaches and ocean are clean,unpolluted,and uncrowded,I considered myself very very lucky,different percecption,or esperience,from yours,ciao

Posted by: evakulnuraee | August 13, 2006 03:49 AM

I agree with Carlo's comment. I chose the third option: I picked a country, Australia, and moved. Everybody follows the rules here and I still can't adjust to that because I am not used to. In two years I had ten car tickets, while only three in Italy in 16 years I've been driving. But look, it's not because australians are all saints, but because controls are everywhere and this creates an environment of fear. Sometimes I think it's really too much, and maybe that's because on the weekends they go out and get drunk in a pub, but after they catch a taxi to go back home. My alcohol level has been checked at least 20 times. But in Australia you vote for your Member of Parliament in your area, then after he is elected if you have a problem, you can call his office, get an appointment and talk to him face to face. And hey, how cool is that! He fixes your problem! Some days ago I wanted to send an email to the Italian Health department, I wasn't able even to find an email address that wasn't the URP's (Office for Public Relation). The matter was more important than fixing a medical prescription. Can you imagine having a phone number for your Member of Parliament to call? Unfortunately, there's no culture and history here, but as Carlo said, I'll enjoy that in Italy as a tourist.

Posted by: Emanuela Canini | August 12, 2006 04:59 AM

Nobody, but NOBODY knows what the rules are in Italy. They make them up as they go along.

There were more defined rules in the school playground when I was growing up than exist in Italy. The only rule that is definite here in this country is "don't believe anything anyone tells you even if they are in a position of authority...it is more likely that they are a lazy cretin who doesn't bother doing their job properly or couldn't care doing it properly".

I would like to hear from just one person who has faith in the judicial, parliamentary, health and education systems of Italy. Just one. (or any other system for that matter)

Posted by: Robert Tuppini | August 12, 2006 03:45 AM

I agree with Robert's comments, in Italy there is not a clear border between justice and injustice, right and wrong, ethical and unethical, corruption and honesty, etc. etc... It is difficult to define this border and it also depends on who you talk to. If you talk an entrepreneur ..he will probably says that is OK to pay bribes because it is common and the only way to do business...in other words this, unfortunately is already part of our day by day life....can we fix it? Don't think so because the majority of the Italians consciously or unconsciously agree with this status quo....this is a cultural change that can happen only with big events like a revolution or war and it will take hundred of years anyhow. So the way I see it, too simple ..maybe..any Italian concerned with such problem has 3 choices:
A- Live with the system, be part of it and take the advantages that it provides and never complain.
B- Fight the system, be prepared to do this for your entire life and hope that we really have another one after death so you can live the life you want.
C- Pick up a country you feel more comfortable, move there for ever and come back in Italy as a tourist all the times you want...as a tourist Italy is really one of the best place on the planet.

Posted by: Carlo Biondolillo | August 12, 2006 12:47 AM

Mr. van Herk's comments remind me of many similar incidents that happened to me personally, one of them became such a gross stupid incident - I went to the Questura to ask what papers were needed for the Carta CEE [another stupid piece of bureaucratic shit, considering that in the UK you just need the frigging EU Passport or ID card of your country!! bah! try to understand Italian bureaucracy and you're dumbfounded, stimmified and, best of all, you'd ROTFLYAO if you're not the victim of the muddle as I was]... anyway, to get to the gist... the policeman, an Inspector, [one would hope he's not an idiot] starts CROSS-EXAMINING me [1] as to the motive for requesting the Carta CEE, [2] as to how financially stable I can be if I were to reside in Italy, [3] that I am not violating the employment laws of Italy, that is, that I do not steal anybody's job [???? one would ask???? STEAL A JOB?????]... and the best one, he expected me to sign a piece of paper that I was an ILLEGAL immigrant!!!

Oh, you should have seen the hoolabaloo... he threatened me with expulsion when I seriously started doubting what his IQ could have been... I was afraid it could not even have been 40, deficient as he was...

Anyway, the High Commissioner had to come into all the muddle because this genius of Police Inspector decided to confiscate my documents and made my future husband pay a fine of 600.000 lire for not declaring that I was living in OUR house!!! No wonder my husband tells me that in Italy "facciamo la vita di merda"... excuse my vulgarity but well, what do you expect!!!

It was a gross incident. I still reside here but, with all due respect, I cannot but deride the whole Italian judicial system, the Police and Carabinieri, and the Vigili Urbani and the rest who should see to it that laws are respected by EVERYBODY, not merely by the law-abiding citizens.

I did write before that criminality pays in Italy. I believe it more firmly now. What a funny way of perceiving things in this muddle. My fellow bloggers [who, probably, are Italians living abroad] can probably sense a number of differences between the rest of the world and the Italian reality, not the one shown on TV with pasta, pizza and mozzarella... but the reality of everyday life, the one which is NEVER shown on TV.

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | August 12, 2006 12:40 AM

The whole governance of law and civic enforcement in Italy is a putrid, smelly and rotting fish. The mafia, the cammora, embezzlers, and corrupt officials cannot function without the Police or politicians assisting them or closing an eye to illegal activities. But remember that the police and the government are made up of Italians. You get what you want or deserve. When the American was bashed I heard one Italian say "Che brutto...ma queste cose succedono". I wanted to vomit just listening to her acceptance of the situation! Italians do complain about things - but at home in front of the television or to their close friends. It's all Blah Blah Blah a lot of talk and then no action. If you try and do something they will discourage you saying it's a waste of time. And it is because no-one else does anything, or helps you, that you find yourself fighting battles all alone, just like that young man in Naples.

Posted by: Robert Tuppini | August 11, 2006 11:25 PM

I saw the comment in tv,anybody of the people interviewed had seen anyithing.crazy!Of course they did,but they won't speak in anyway.it's dangerous,probably if those people would have helped the poor guy instead,later the thieves would have showed up again to to them and created other damages.To them and their families.Are people really free to say no,in those places?Not trying to justify those actions,but It's so easy from here say hey well, what's this shit?let's talk!Too easy.It doesn't work like that.People are afraid,while the actions of the state to help them out are vagues,the action of these peoples to make evrybody in the block shut up are consistent :they burn their shop,they make phone call asking "how's your daughter?I saw her today on her way to school...very nice!"
State don't do anything because they're involved with this association in many ways,I really don' believe,as an italian, that our government is so clean to judje a mafioso or camorristic association,really not.They're scared as hell and they keep them in their heands.

Posted by: claudia mastrogiacomo | August 11, 2006 10:54 PM

I never liked cops.
This just pisses me off even more.
We can just say that we look more and more like a third world country, where the police are behaving like in Kenya.
They just like to bully defenseless taxpayers.
They should try to play the same shit to regular outlaws and see if they are still that brave (maybe with a bullet up their ass)!!!!

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | August 11, 2006 09:58 PM

For those having difficulty with the previous link provided, this is a shorter one...

Posted by: Noel Cosgrave | August 11, 2006 08:25 PM

It seems the cornuti of the criminal fraternity have stooped to even lower depths....

Posted by: Noel Cosgrave | August 11, 2006 08:24 PM

This remembers me to something really stupid what happens to us a few years ago. We passed the frontier at XX-miglia in a french car, off to the nice market in XX-miglia. My mobile phone rang (carkit)and I drove after 'le peage' to a place to stand still because I wanted to answer this call. There were parked more cars; we parked in the middle of them, next to a carabinieri-car. At the same time I saw coming up to us 'very severe looking' young Italian carabinieri from that car. They told me that it was not allowed to phone in the car, and that I was phoning when I was driving (not true because of the carkit !)and we couldnot park there; we had to go 50 m farther (next to the highway and very dangerous: too stupid ..but if the police tell you to do that, you have to follow their orders!) So I drove over there and more or less we decided to leave, direction 'sortie'xx-miglia for the market, but then arrived another carabinieri-car with high speed (very dangerous !) and he pulled out of the window this red/white stopsign and forced us to stop. He put his car in front of us; we were in a angle. The other 2 carabinieri came up to us and they
wanted to see our documents and then it started to be complicated and 'more or less stupid funny'. My car is French-target, my nationality is Dutch (we donot smoke !!!), my passport is Dutch, my driving license is French (I'm living in France) and I speak fluently French, Italian and of course Dutch ! Because I had visitors from Holland in my car, we spoke Dutch and I explained in Dutch that they needed to see all the documents. Very irritating to them, apparently because they didnot understand a word. They took all the documents and let us wait for a long time; after 30 minutes I decided to get out of the car and to go to their car to ask our documents. We didnot get them and they didnot do anything with it. So I went back to my car and we wait for another hour ! Then they came and they wanted to inspect if I had a triangle in my car; so I throw all the sea and swimming stuff on the ground and showed the triange which was down under. Then,believe me it's true, one of them took his billbook and gave me a bill for telephoning in the car while driving..(a lie) and I had to pay 150.000 lire ! If I didnot pay; no documents in return. So I went to pull this money in the automatic at the peage. Paid this really stupid carabinieri and asked him for a prove that I paid this money (he gave it !). And we went off.....to the market...I rather bought nice shoes on the market from this 150.000 lire ! The fun of the day was totally gone and my Dutch friends were fallen in a big silence: how is this possible ! The Saturday after I decided to go to the police-office in XX-miglia to declare this situation; the police-officer asked me to write down what happened and that was it. I didnot get back my 150.000 lire. He promised me an invitation for an opening of a nice club in Cannes; never got this either.So, Italy; you're in debt with me and 150.000 for doing nothing wrong is a lot of money ! In total I lived 6 years in Italy, so more or less I know the country....I prefer pasta to carabinieri ! But I think a lot of Italians say the same !I rather come back several times to visit my friend and for work than for living all over the year as a residenza'. Buona fine settimana !

Posted by: D.van Herk | August 11, 2006 08:23 PM

By the way: Al Capone was a good guy.
His crime was to sell booze to whoever needed it.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | August 11, 2006 07:02 PM