Back to the future

Enzo_Ferrari.jpg

Enzo Ferrari, mechanic, driver and then head of the company. Camillo Olivetti, designer of typewriters and then head of the company. Arnoldo Mondadori, office worker in a stationary shop, publisher and then head of the company.

Ask Ghidella, booted out not for incompetence but because of too much competence. Money, finance are results, a derivative. And today, the derivatives of a derivative command and destroy the companies. They transform the companies into dividends, stock options, into balance sheets in the red, into debt. Their current accounts however are always in the black just like the night.

When they are thrown out (it happens at times) they demand golden handshakes of millions of Euro even if the company is on the edge of bankruptcy. The State, as was seen for the Railways, as will be seen for Alitalia, gives in straight away. It pays them rather than sack them for good reason.

With our money, with our budgets. For the logic of power and appearance. The more they earn, the more they are considered to be important. Newspapers go mad about them. Itís not important how much damage they have done up until now. Itís certain that they will be allowed to do even greater damage in the future.

The enormous salaries given to managers of public and private companies (often not competent to do the job) are an enchantment. They themselves are an enchantment to be transferred to an island. Islands like Alcatraz and líIsola dei Famosi { The Island of the Famous = Italian version of the reality TV show ďI'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!Ē}are OK as long as they are surrounded by sharks.

To put them at their ease. Why does a technician, a labourer, an office worker of a company have to earn 1000 to 1500 Euro a month and the CEO, the president, the general manager earn millions of Euro? Where is the logic?

If the technician makes a mistake, heís thrown out. If it happens to the manager, he gets a golden handshake. Where is the seat of this great added value of the heads of companies? Modern Einsteins who one year proclaim the strategic validity of the landline-mobile phone merger and the next year exactly the opposite and no one laughs in their face. Itís a value that is hidden, very hidden. Mysterious. Itís time that it comes into the light, that thereís understanding and that they get out from under our feet.

Ps: The share action initiative is continuing. Click and delegate.

Comments

Carissimo Beppe vivo in Olanda da piu'di 25 anni
Leggendo il tuo libro "tutto il Grillo...."mi sono rassicurato: se dobbiamo morire almeno lo facciamo con cervello; che poi non fa molta differenza: se crepi ... crepi. Nelle tue opinioni trovo spesso l'Olanda come un esempio di civilta'da seguire ma se ti devo dire il vero anche qui non e'che cambi molto!!! Solo che qui le cose anno un altro nome e ti vengono presentate con una filosofia calvinista che non da spazio a nessuna fantasia o inventiva.
Stai attento a descrivere l'Olanda come un paese all'avanguardia perche'qui siamo per gli stessi interessi economici tornati al yempo delle palafitte (succede nel governo ma ancora peggio nelle aziende privatizzate!!! Per esempio se tu ti devi fare attacare l'acqua devi pagare anche se hai fatto tutto tu ) Se telefoni non gliene frega niente se hai 6 bambini .... Prima paghi..poi in 10 minuti arrivano a metterti il metro e..dopo 2 giorni hai l'acqua!! Per finire Non e'assolutamente tutto oro quello che luccica
SEI GRANDE ma non fare complimenti a chi non se li merita ciao Max

Posted by: m.pasquinoli | September 23, 2006 08:33 PM

Paola

We are living in a dark age.

I feel your pain and at the same time I get so pissed off beyond belief.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 21, 2006 03:20 AM

Paola what happen to you is a classic example ,how wisthlebloing are treat,you are not the first and not the last,the system stinks,you did the right thing,and you can sleep peacefully,knowing that you are a honest person,and about him (the manager robber),life as a way to always deliver surprise,you just have to be patient.........ciao :-)

Posted by: evakulnura | September 18, 2006 04:18 AM

Paola: about the I Ching, C.G.Jung wrote
"The I Ching does not offer itself with proofs and results; it does not vaunt itself, nor is it easy to approach. Like a part of nature, it waits until it is discovered. It offers neither facts nor power, but for lovers of self-knowledge, of wisdom -- if there be such -- it seems to be the right book"
:-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 18, 2006 02:03 AM

Prince those things do not happen only on higher level of management,I witness years ago ,while I was shopping in a well know supermaket,a woman manager put down in front of me a cashier,I could not beleve it,and been myself i could not shut up,and I did reprimand the manager ,as they say in Italy " litle men with power,bad combination" meamimg some people in a power position do not have as well self assurance and self estime that goes with the position,when people treat other people that work for then bad,they are very insicure indeed, otherwise no nedd to do so,glad you change company,and you happy now ciao:-)

Posted by: evakulnura | September 18, 2006 01:24 AM

Well Giovanni what can I say....
I have been in a similar situation when after 17 years with a Bank that I had been one of the seven very first people to establish the foreign branch, there comes a new "all promising" manager, steals 13 million Euros...
I get sachet for disclosing the fraud!!!
He gets a multi million compensation for leaving quietly and builds himself a nice "condominio" and nor he nor his children will have to work again for the rest of their lives, living off the nice rents they are getting...!!!

I am not complaining,I did the right thing and I am living a happy life but sometimes bitternes surfaces and may it showed in my first post....

Raffa,
I have an I Ching software program which I haven't refered to for a long time, maybe it's time to go back to it...:o)

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 18, 2006 01:15 AM

Prince, do you remember? this was the answer:

40. Hsieh / Deliverance
Here the movement goes out of the sphere of danger. The obstacle has been
removed, the difficulties are being resolved. Deliverance is not yet achieved;
it is just in its beginning, and the hexagram represents its various stages.

"One kills three foxes in the field
And receives a yellow arrow.
Perseverance brings good fortune."
;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 18, 2006 12:17 AM

You know, I always seen my job from the point of view of the "know how" and not by the greedy quest for gain at all costs.

In my perception of management, I put in first place the product's knowledge of the company I work for.

The CEO of the company I worked for before this, was a perfect imbecil which tried to cover his deficencies by mistreating everybody that had experience (and for this we baptised him with the nickname of "Mengele").
Before he got fired after almost 4 years of misfits, this idiot misplaced the company's resources and caused a lot of experienced people like myself to find another company.
What bothers me is the fact that he saw us like an expense and not like an asset for the company (I grew up in this company for 16 years).
By doing this he squandered away all the knowledge that this company had, rendering very difficult for the customer to trust it again.

In a certain way I got luckier in finding my actual job because now I work for a smaller company which cares a lot for their employees.
Everybody here is appreciated and is free to do their job without B.S.

At the beginning I missed my colleagues a bit but now this looks like a small light in the wind of my past.

Everybody moves on but I think that some actions on behalf of those exxagerately overpaid obnoxious aberrations semi-human beings are simply unforgiven.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 17, 2006 11:32 PM

You are right Giovanni, it's just that I thought things were so obvious that discussing such matters would have been like hiding behind our little finger....
But as you rightly said a lot of people take things for granted a sometimes stirring the waters even by the most "naive" questions it's not bad after all.

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 17, 2006 10:44 PM

Paola

A lot of people are ignoring this and take all what's happening for granted.

Probably for a lot of people something positive will start upon reading this.

We are literally buried from this kind of idiots that are putting forward just the monetary gain, killing the skills that made a lot of big companies.
It's like killing the horse that carries you around.

We have to stop this before it's too late.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 17, 2006 05:53 PM

Dear Beppe,
What is happening??
Have you really run out of subjects to comment on, or have you noticed a conciderable drop of IQ level of the blogers and the seriousnes of topics had to be lowered???

:o)