Goodbye Oriana

Oriana_Fallaci.jpg

Now that Oriana Fallaci is dead, how many free journalists are there with Italian nationality? Fallaci wrote some things that I didn’t agree with and other stuff that I did. She always took risks. She spoke her truth in person. More than a hole in Italian journalism, she leaves an abyss. To be a journalist is not easy. You need a protector.

Journalists without masters no longer exist. Those that resist are getting older and older. And they also repeat themselves but don’t tell Eugenio Scalfari that. You need to go to the library and read old articles written by Montanelli to give yourself a lift. And Travaglio?

I’m wondering. But Travaglio is not a journalist but an informedonthefactsconstantly person. A witness with many eyes. A living phenomenon. One that should be Minister of Justice. To be a journalist and not a servant as well is a matter of astuteness. However I prefer journalists who take a clear line without prevaricating. They’re cleaner, and I almost like them. Even though no one takes them seriously, like a drunkard in a bar, and everyone loves them.

The classy men of journalism, intellectually honest, with the right tie and the column. Read their articles and at the end you feel a sense of emptiness. They no longer need to lie to cover up the facts.

They annul them with nothing. And they don’t even have to sweat. People like Riotta, Severgnini, Mentana.
Oriana, we’ll miss you.

Comments

From the: Irish-Palestinian-Committee

the infallible and the inflammable ,

When people do complain that Islam used a sword

to spread its faith...................

may I remind the pessimist and the paranoiacs

that the whole of the Land of Egypt was "conquered"

with less than one hundred Muslim-warriors,

that Jerusalem was "conquered" without even one

drop of blood........no sword was ever used, there.

When the Byzantines complain and the Pope becomes their Parrot

may I remind the same Pope that his Crusaders robbed and burned

the capital of the Byzantines....with their Catholic-sword.

When the Vatican was cutting the heads of the scientists who dared

saying that the Globe is round and that it orbited in a Solar system,

the Muslim-cultures were busy inventing the "zero" in mathematics

and giving birth to Algebra and spreading Astronomy .

When the Sword of Islam left Spain , the Catholics Swords took over

and barbecued people ,alive.

When Islam recovered Jerusalem all the Churches were spared

and even rebuild ....

while the Mosques have been previously destroyed by the Crusaders.

The Pope must not and should not make mistakes,

unless he is not infallible ,after all.

Raja Chemayel

18.09.06

preferring not hear any apologies

and even less not to hear more mistakes.....

END
For sure no Italian journalist or clergy will ever reach the great standard of this individual and I admire his great gift of knowledge, history and above all HUMANITY

Posted by: Marcia Visanji | October 1, 2006 12:35 PM

How very convenient for the supporters of inciters of hatred. Someone who spews racism and ignorant brutal 21st century imperialism is a journalist and is a brave person and someone to admire etc.
So what is all this about freedom of speech, democracy etc that the west sings about so much. It was the west who gagged the rest of the world with their grandiose butchery and barbarity so now the west finds another grandiose imperialism of 21st century and that is attack the culture, tradition and religion of those with rich resources so we can once again ripe them off?
Fallaci a journalist?
Really ?
Only a Cepu graduate with one exam one Euro would call Fallaci barbarity and racism a piece of journalism!

She spewed rotten cancerous mentality of bigots, mass murderers, serial killers, rapist and the psychopaths in the houses of western governments who are now at work in Palestine, Irak, Afghanistan, Somalia and the Muslim world.

Is it any wonder that she finds the likes of Butiglione her admirer.

What short memories the admirers of vile bestial barbarity have. Why is a western terrorist like Fallaci someone to admire and those in Palestine and the rest of Muslim world defending their right to democracy, their land, their culture, their tradition and their way of life a terrorist?

Italy has journalists? Where were these journalists when Guzzanti was being gagged alla Viva Zapatero.
Who cared about freedom of speech & journalism?
With 11,000 family members working in RAI; Mr Grillo calls mentana a journalist to admire. While showing the Italian contingent’s barbaric repulsive conduct on his ridiculous program Matrix, this Mentana asked Rula Jabreal not to say who stopped her from showing the film made by “Italian soldiers occupying Irak, Nassiriya, the butchery with Pink Floyd noise for the entertainment of their families”.The idiot Rula Jabreal – I want to be loved by the viewers, obliged.
This will certainly get Sig. Grillo an invitation from the Veltroni gang.

Posted by: Marcia Visanji | October 1, 2006 12:30 PM

You either loved or hated Fallaci... she was an opinion maker for sure, but she was the one who had the guts to interview certain notorious world leaders and gave the Western world some real insight into these men's minds.

I can never forget her interview with Gheddafi. Now if that were not an eye-opener, I wonder what it could have been. Some feared her to the extent of not conceding an interview!

Again, it is a matter of taste when choosing to read Oriana's works. An iconoclast in her own class and in her own cast, she still deserves respect.

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | September 20, 2006 06:54 PM

Paola,
Tottaly agree with you.
I never said Fallaci herself should be read as a journalist, even if she had work in that capacity.
It doesn't mean she shouldn't be read, but she was an opinion maker, a commentator first and foremost... and a brave, uncompromising one at that.

Posted by: Miguel Maia | September 20, 2006 10:02 AM

Miguel,
Exactly; I think choosing to become a journalist is not an easy task and those who do should have special qualifications (not only acquired ones but also personality wise...).

So where would that place the Fallaci and others like her???
I believe, that ones they begin writing books and expressing their personal views on various subjects, they become susceptible and should not be "judged" as journalist but as persons that express their personal views on matters; and as such we then choose to agree or disagree with them.

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 19, 2006 02:23 PM

Paola,
I think we're on the same side here.
If I got the spirit of your words correctly (and here we go into the issue of subjectivity again) you too disagree with that kind of journalist that uses his space in the public arena to voice his opinions as a citizen. He has the right to do so "as a citizen", but he should not use his special position as member of the media to do it, because other citizens cant do that.
That fact that he expresses views in a subrepticious way only makes matter worse.
There should always be a clearly stated separation between reporting and commenting... this is classic journalism A-B-C... and when doing a story, journalists have to take into account both sides, clashing testimonies of unrelated sources.
I say it again: of course objectivity is impossible (even the choice of which of the side you present first introduces subjectivity). But twisting the truth, showing an unaceptably short and one-sided version of it or simply lying is not journalism.

Posted by: Miguel Maia | September 19, 2006 12:06 PM

Miguel,
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the problem lays in re-defining the word "journalist".
Who is a journalist?
What is his exact job?
A reporter reports the event and a journalist edits the report. Does the process of editing give him the right to present his personal views, since he is allowed to edit the facts in the first place??
Or is it that by playing with words he can manipulate the text in such a way as to "play" with the truth??

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 18, 2006 01:59 PM

Paola, sorry forgot ,my comment was for Mr.Crap,Bryn James,and James Quinti ,ciao :-)

Posted by: evakulnura | September 18, 2006 12:45 PM

I dont mind independent journalists. I'd like to think I'm one of them. It is obvious that no-one can ever be completely objective, but I think the fine line that the «schierati» Italian journalists keep crossing is that sacred line between truth and lie. And that line is pretty objective.
Journalists, fortunately not all of them, get out of their way to defend their positions like football supporters defend their teams. Their mission is to inform and let the people decide based on that information. At least that the way it has always worked everywhere else in Europe.

Posted by: Miguel Maia | September 18, 2006 12:41 PM

There is one. Marco Travaglio.

Posted by: Phillip Hod | September 18, 2006 12:02 PM

Eva,
To whom is this post addressed to??? !!!

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 18, 2006 10:23 AM

I read books from Terzani and Fallaci,i like booth of them in different way,we can go on and on about Fallaci untislamic opinion ,wich I disagree about, I just find bad taste , talking bad about somebody that just past away,let waith at least untill the funeral is over!!same for Germanie Greer for what she said about Steve Erwing,and for Quinti,I do not think you read any of his books, ,they are full of compassion,and are a easy read for the masses,with include me,we are not all Yale graduates , and snob like you

Posted by: evakulnura | September 18, 2006 09:50 AM

I wonder what she would have wrote now about the Pope/Muslin world situation ???...:o(

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 18, 2006 09:44 AM

.....on all side.

Posted by: evakulnurae | September 18, 2006 04:21 AM

Yes, and the "An eye for an eye" solution has been proven time and again to be a dead end tunnel.
I find it very frustrating that in spite of our claim to having evolved into rational thinking societies, many people still resort to barbaric solutions to resolve conflicts.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 18, 2006 02:29 AM

Enrico, So you mean she believed in "An eye for eye" ???
Could that be the reason why she has animated enemies and friends...(??) Maybe it depended on which side of the problem one stood on give time...Could that be it??

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 17, 2006 10:36 PM

The core of Oriana's message was the intolerance of people different from her and the refusal of dialogue and mediation. What kind of world are we going to face by spitting, kicking and threateaning to blow places up? It's hard to condone the vulgar tone of her diatribes and her refusal to see the humanity of her enemies. I know she's dead and we should be generous to her, but this kind of language was totally foreign to her.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 17, 2006 09:34 PM

I understand now. Thank you Enrico :o)
I haven't followed her work for many years, actually her book about "Eurabia and Islamofascism" was one I intended to read but never managed to...
For me she was a very controversial person and as I said before, she had a very strong personality.
I believe that her contribution was important, regardless of weather we agree or disagree with her views, from this point of view her death is a loss.

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 17, 2006 06:19 PM

I won't miss Oriana Fallaci too, however I don't agree with the ones who said they were happy because of her dead.
I don't agree at all with Oriana's point of view, her hate against the other cultures and more than anything else against muslims. I always thought that her hateful stances were a great obstacle to integration and peace, but I think that dead needs above all respect.
Oriana, rest in peace.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 17, 2006 05:38 PM

Like it or not, she was the only one to write things most of the people think but are too scared to say !!

Freedom of speach is the base of a real democracy, (this automatically exclude Italy !!)

Thanks Oriana.

Posted by: Edmondo D. | September 17, 2006 05:32 PM

Terzani didn't have a clue. And he was not even a good writer.

Posted by: James Quinti | September 17, 2006 04:53 PM

Paola, I will let Tiziano answer your question:

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 17, 2006 04:45 PM

Enrico,
You know I have lived abroad most of the time and I might have missed something....your anger is very strong....could you englight me please ????

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 17, 2006 04:19 PM

"People like Riotta, Severgnini, Mentana." You forgot the best: Tiziano Terzani.
Oriana I won't miss you and the hatred in your heart.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 17, 2006 03:52 PM

Bryn,
Your comments and mine show exactly the power of her personality...
Different opinions are not necesserily bad...:o)

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 17, 2006 03:51 PM

Mr. Ø you neededn't have signed....

If you can read, then some of her books like:

“A Man” Alex. Panagoulis the man who faught agains the Colonds in Greece 1968
“Inshallah” fiction – Italian troops in Lebanon in 1983
“If the Sun Dies” about the US space program
“Nothing, and so be it” On the Vietman war based on her personal experiences
“Oriana Fallaci intervista Oriana Fallaci” On the subject of “Eurabia and “Islamofacism”

could give you an idea of whom she was and maybe help you change your nick name....

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 17, 2006 03:47 PM

Fallaci was a a racist and zenephobe. She revelled in any-arab and also anti-gay statement.
She was the kind of bigot who revelled in her bigotry,and poured out her hate all the time.
No wonder she got an audience recently in the Vatican!!

Posted by: bryn james | September 17, 2006 03:45 PM