Helenio Herrera’s coffee

Helenio_Herrera.jpg

To speak ill of Facchetti at the moment is like blaspheming in church. Not even I will do that. But to talk about his death is a duty. The articles of the Great Signatures, are all the SameasmineeitheryouknowhimorIheldhiminhighesteemIhadhismobilenumberinmyphone’smemory, and would probably make Giacinto want to vomit. Alessandro Gilioli of l’Espresso last year published an interview entitled “Pasticca nerazzura” {black-white pill}, with Ferruccio Mazzola, brother of Sandro, who played for Inter for a short time. Here are a few paragraphs:

“… I myself experienced these practices that footballers had to go through. I saw the trainer Helenio Herrera giving out pills to put under your tongue. He tried them out on the reserves (I was often one of these) and then he also gave them to the team members.
Some took them, others spat them out secretly. It was my brother Sandro who said: if you don’t want to take it go to the bathroom and throw it away. That’s what lots did. However, then Herrera realised that we spat them out and so he started to dissolve them in coffee. From then on “Herrera’s coffee” became one of Inter’s practices.”

“From then on my companions got sick and perhaps have died. Lots. Too many. The first was Armando Picchi, the team captain. He died of a tumour to the spinal column at 36 years old.
Then it was Marcello Giusti’s turn. He played in reserve and was killed by cancer of the brain at the end of the 1990s. Carlo Tagnin, one who never refused the pills, because he wasn’t outstanding and he wanted to extend his career running like a young lad. He died of osteosarcoma in 2000.
Mauro Bicicli went in 2001. He had a tumour in his liver. Ferdinando Miniussi, the reserve goalkeeper, died in 2002 from Cirrhosis that evolved from Hepatitis C. Enea Masiero, with Inter from 1955 to 1964 is having chemotherapy. Pino Longoni, who was in Inter’s youth team before going to Fiorentina, has a vasculopathia and is in a wheelchair with no hope of recovery …”

"… in the amateur championships where there are no controls, there they are drugged to the eye balls. What really upsets me are the youngsters. They start to get pills and power drinks at 14-15 years. I’m working in Rome with the Borghesiana team, where my son Michele plays. I always say to the youngsters to watch out even for hot tea if they don’t know what’s in it.
I have also made a statement to the youth court of Milan: scores of statements are coming in from fathers and mothers whose sons are taking strange stuff. Perhaps they run like mad on the field and then they fall asleep at their desk the following day in school. There you go. It’s because of them that I’m talking about all this.”

If Ferruccio Mazzola is right there are delinquents who are administering drugs to youngsters. People who are inoculating them with tumours. Who are they? Which teams do they work for? Who do they get their orders from? Perhaps Facchetti would like to know. Perhaps we would too.

P. S. Tonight at Gela as a guest of the comune, a show in the square. I’ll see you there.

Comments

ai ai ai !!! carambadas

Posted by: maria consuelo | September 8, 2006 10:26 AM

Hi guys,what most make my skin crawl,is that this practise is down to kids,what about the parents? my kids just finished the school athletic carnival,they made it to the discrict,we know of same age kids that they pass to the state stage ,and of the day of the race,they show up with the trainer instead of the parents,we are talking about eleven years old kids,I think is just plain ridiculos,I am glad Beppe wrote this article,I'll show to my girlfriens ,that ones they kids are doing professionals sport,anyway best sport for me is golf,we all play it in my family,it is good fun if not take too seriously,ciao :-)

Posted by: evakulnura | September 8, 2006 12:04 AM

Giovanni, that sounds like a very appealing idea, but there are so many more faces I'd like to print on urinal pads that there might not be enough ink to do the job!

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 7, 2006 11:26 PM

I take it you would like to have his face printed on urinal pads! :)))))

(In that case buy one more for me)

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 7, 2006 10:54 PM

O'Reilly? He's the biggest SOB in the USA Media firmament next to Anne Coulter. He's oozing out venom from all his pores and nothing he says bears any resemblance to the truth. A true Bastard.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 7, 2006 10:36 PM

Enrico, what do you think of O'Reilly?

My opinion is that guy is a blatant idiot that doesn't let anybody talk about their opinion if it's different from his.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 7, 2006 10:08 PM

Joselle, I didn't take it as an offence at all! Just my male brain incapable of tuning in.....
Raffaella, the Media are fully aware of their duties to the Public. Problem is they will do anything in their power to avoid fulfilling their duties. We are totally manipulated, obfuscated and treated for the sheep we mostly are. I know people that only tune into CNN and FOX NEWS, believe that Bush is a great leader and that we are fighting a justified war on terror. 911 for them happened precisely as they were told by these two Stations with not even a single question asked.
High Plains Drifter, we might already have lost sight of the limit for self preservation
because of our inability to curb the greediness and aggressivness that dominates our Political, Industrial and Military establishments.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 7, 2006 09:47 PM

The bottom line is:"Do we know what we want and what we need? Did we lose the sight of the limit for self preservation?"

Looks like a lot of people is lost and the quest for a better life has been stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Posted by: High Plains Drifter | September 7, 2006 09:14 PM

Enrico: that's the problem. The traditional media (TV, Press) are the most important vehicles of information. They have a great responsability because they are forming the public opinion.
For this reason I agreed with Beppe at the time, to subscribe the petition for the rearrangement of the public TV. Yes, we have Internet, but the most of people have no acces to this, we are still a minority.
While we are waiting for a larger diffusion of the web, we must do something to reform the old media.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 07:48 PM

You say that as long as adults are concerned, it is up to them to decide whether or not to accept any dopes or not. I can assure you I know of many so-called "consenting" adults who, because of peer and psychological pressure do not have the courage, the stamina, the common sense to say no.

If you think that a 19 year old could be considered a consenting adult, I can assure you it is not always the case. Some young adults are merely big children.

I think Raffaella can agree with me here that most adolescents, and young people in their late teens and early twenties, sometimes, behave just much like the capricious 14 or 15 year olds or, worse still, are simply influenced by the trends of society.

It is a minefield... whilst we complain that a lot of youngsters are becoming couch potatoes and do not indulge that much into sport activities, those who do can face the risk of being directly or indirectly tempted [or forced] to take substances that can cause them only health risks.

What I find really disgusting in this whole matter is that many know and do NOTHING about it. That is why we have doped cyclists, doped athletes, doped gymnasts, doped footballers. Dope comes in cheap when what managers and coaches want to attain, very often, is the short-term glory to the detriment of their players'/athletes' long-term health condition.

____________________________________

Just for ENRICO...

I know the discourse in the other post on flower girls must have daunted you!! But, take it easy... it was meant to alleviate the mood. No offence meant at all.

:o)))

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | September 7, 2006 07:30 PM

The Press is the demented slave of corporations.

Posted by: High Plains Drifter | September 7, 2006 07:30 PM

"I remember me when Pantani died. The media was talking about this problem for a couple of months."
Since when are you expecting anything meaningful from the Press? I've given up on them too. They are in cahoot with the worst elements in society.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 7, 2006 07:26 PM

PS) Have you noticed, Prince, I started to make typing mistakes in english too. That's a good sign!
It means I'm improving my english!
;-))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 06:44 PM

My God, Prince, I dont need to run so long!
I'm a quiet person!
;-))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 06:39 PM

Sincerely speaking, what pisses me off in this story is not the thing itself.
As far as we are talking about adults, nobody is forced to take doping, and the ones who are taking it, are mostly able to refuse it, even if that means to be out of the sport businnes.
What pisses me off is the falseness of the whole society. When something comes to light, the media start immediatly to cry shame, and the one who was catched red-handed is the bad guy, the scapegoat, precisely.
Then was still.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 06:38 PM

Now you can also try "Caffe' Herrera" and you will run longer than the Duracell Rabbit.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 7, 2006 06:23 PM

PS) I tasted Red Bull, it's so disgusting sweet, I think you must be masochist to drink it!
;-))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 06:13 PM

Paola, don't feel bad. Your craving for games goes back a long time, the only difference is that now these games are meaningless because the results are chemically skewed.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 7, 2006 06:09 PM

Paola, It's nothing wrong in enjoying a sport competition.
Personally I hate football many other kinds of sports, but I enjoy athletics, gymnastics, figure-skating and other not so famous disciplines.
What is important is to know the extent of this phenomenon and do something effective, for example not to buy the sponsored artikel by the great competitions (like olimpic games and other very sponsored events).
Guys, what do you think about that?

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 06:07 PM

Raffaella, I said suspicions because in most cases the most sophisticated labs don't seem to be able to detect the drugs, but I know that your argument is flawless.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 7, 2006 06:00 PM

Reffa, you can buy them over the counter too!!
You can buy them every where....
What about all those
RedBull and Lucosade and the likes that are sold as refreshments in the street,full of rubbish??

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 7, 2006 05:58 PM

I am with you Enrico....however I must confess I still watch s o m e athletic events and what is worst... I do enjoy them
So, obviously brain washing is working....:o(

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 7, 2006 05:53 PM

It's not a suspicion, Enrico, it's a certainty.
Look at the today's performances of the most popular athletes. There is nothing human more. They are machines designed to the last detail, and doping belong to this planning.
And it begin from the bottom. If you go in any little fitness studio in Italy, you will see how many anabolics you can buy under the counter. Have you ever seen the monstrous human mountains looking like the incredible Hulk, walking proud on the street? They are the result of anabolics, only with exercise it's no possible!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 05:47 PM

Modern sport is plagued by suspicions that many top athletes resort to drug-taking – doping – to enhance their performance. They use anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, erythropoietin (EPO), beta-blockers, stimulants or diuretics. No drugs = No win. I stopped watching sports events many years ago when I realized they were nothing but a big scam similar to the world of politics, business etc...

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 7, 2006 05:29 PM

Prince, I agree 100% with you. You know, I hate football!
But I'm pessimistic about a real becoming aware by the average population. Everybody of them thinks: "It will not happen to my kids", because of this diabolic mechanisms called "false coscience" and " scapegoat". Through this mechanism people are believing in the good guys and the wicked, and the wicked are always "the others". The system avail itself of these mecahnisms and create on purpose the great heroes. I think we must wait for a while, till the average litte italian will desert the stadiums

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 05:28 PM

Remember the Olympic Games 2004???
There is not one athlet in the world that does not take even the smallest amount of something...
Professional Sports = Anabolics and that's that,
we like it or not.:o(

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 7, 2006 05:17 PM

I strongly believe that now is up to the public to reject all this.

The sooner the better.

How many other kids will have to die before we will desert the stadiums?

Are we addicted to make-believe? We really believe in fake stuff?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 7, 2006 04:46 PM

Pantani was a victim of the system: As athlete, if you don't want to take doping, you are completely out, because you can't compete with the others. It's a vicious circle.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 04:36 PM

Pantani was the smallest fish in the pond.

He died while all the big people involved in that got away.

If Italians like sports like they say, they should put their foot down and boycott all this.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 7, 2006 04:22 PM

As long as people keep on watching sports events this problem will continue. Does anybody remember the gigantic East German track&field super-women? Most of them died in their twenties. They are gone and so is the Fatherland they brought so much honour to with their cheating. It was all futile and pathetic.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 7, 2006 04:22 PM

Helenio Herrera is dead. But he was and is not alone, this practice is applied everywhere in the professional sport and in the amateur too. The worst thing is that everybody knows it but nobody says a word. Do you really think that the athletes any discipline could reach those performances without doping? Do you rememeber Pantani? It was an example, but he was not alone.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 03:48 PM

What pisses me of is that this shit is always let go, while reefer smokers are treated like criminals.
Employees! Do something! Don't jus sit on your asses!

Is Herrera still alive?
If he is, he must drink the shit that killed all those guys!

I miss Facchetti, he was a real gentleman.
In the world there are very few people like him that are still alive.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 7, 2006 03:32 PM

But this is ridicolous! I just changed my name to Enrico Bianchi and posted it under the same e-mail address and it went through. And this is what many posters are doing. This Blog is an open invitation to this kind of garbage and will eventually sel-destruct if nothing is done. There is no mechanism in place to keep the site safe from this kind of behaviour. You are doing a very poor job Beppe. Your Blog must be the only one left on the web that is totally unprotected :-(((((((((

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 7, 2006 03:31 PM

Just testing.

Posted by: Enrico Bianchi | September 7, 2006 03:23 PM

Enrico: sorry! ;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 02:27 PM

I now have to refine my previous quotation about football: twenty-two DRUGGED millionaires chasing a ball in underware.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 7, 2006 02:13 PM

Paola, I never left, but topics like "flower girls" escape my mainly male brain....
Raffaella, you are a daring lady to mention that name again! Now she/he'll show up on this thread and start the shenanigan all over again!

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 7, 2006 02:09 PM

Of course..:o)))
When he is not "talkin shhhhh..." he makes sense!!!

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 7, 2006 01:58 PM

Hihihi, If I am not mistaken that was Pippo's theory..!
;-))))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 01:54 PM

Raffa,you are right.
Don't you forget that "Capri's Air" used to be sold in cans...
So Italians are really advanced people aren't they???

:o))))

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 7, 2006 01:30 PM

Nice to see you back Enrico!! :o)

What surprised me the most about this article was that I wasn't expecting this use of anabolics etc to be practised for that long..
I was under the "utopia" that all this was
somehow modern practice...
What a shame.:o(

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 7, 2006 01:23 PM

Money is the Devil's Excrement.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 7, 2006 12:50 PM

Paola, sure!I remember ABBA!
I agree, the main problem is always the same: MONEY.
As for the issue, I recognize two other factors: first of all the trend to extreme competition, not a healthy competition but only a compulsive drive to reach the goal by all means. In this insane competition the goals are getting more and more higher till they become unrealizable with the normal human strengths. The second factor is a widespread hypocrisy. Everybody knows, but nobody says a world about it. Everybody knows that the sport world is rotten to the core, but (and here we must go back to the main problem) nobody cares about it, because of MONEY!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 7, 2006 12:02 PM

Well, is this new or old news???
Discussing about it every now and then makes no difference...The air we breathe is intoxicated...

"Money - Money - Money
must be funny
in the rich man's word....."

Remember "ABBA" ????

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 7, 2006 11:05 AM

Sports are said to make you healthy.

Is football not a sport? Lucrative globalisation makes sports unhealthy and extremely dirty.

Why do parents allow their kids to participate in the "drug clubs"?

pull the young kids out than the globalisation will have to clean up their drug acts.

Posted by: Marcia Visanji | September 7, 2006 11:01 AM