Help Cinema, Tax the Internet

La_fine_del_cinema.jpg

Is Italian cinema in crisis? Never fear. The Margherita party is ready to help with its cultural knight Andrea Colasio.

Colasio, the Margherita’s culture head has presented a proposed law about “Discipline of cinema and audiovisual activities, starting with these words: “Honourable Colleagues! – The idea that Italian cinema is going through a structural crisis, in which, with different intensity phases of obscurity alternate with phases of “eruption” appears to be a view that is shared by operators and observers. It is this long-term co-existence with the “crisis”, the almost normalness that has been generated over time with the phenomenon, with the relative evocation of the golden age of the “Great Italian cinema” that all the same risks to be a screen against the analysis that even though it has no pity about the state of health of this our cultural industry, allows us to formulate proposals around public policies for the sector.”

The solution to resolve the fate of Italian cinema appears in article 32 of the proposal (financial resources). The article sets down that through a new Agency the blood of the Internet is to be sucked up to give to cinema that is already in ‘rigor mortis’:
”a percentage equal to 3.5% of gross annual turnover of Internet operators resulting from IPTV traffic, streaming TV and generally from traffic relating to moving images.”

If the Margherita wants assistance to be given to cinema, let it finance it with its own money. It’s crazy that they want to make Internet users pay for the salaries of failed film producers. Let the government think about bringing Internet tariffs into line with European tariffs and not increase taxes on them.
I leave you with another (don’t worry it is really short) piece of Colasio’s prose:
“At this point it’s possible to choose between ‘surviving’, alternating cycles of discomfort with transitory euphoria, or to opt for a drastic intervention that can bring new life blood to the entire sector….”
You choose, you opt, you discomfort yourselves and then write him an email.

Comments

The Cappuccetto story was very funny!sorry againg guys!

Posted by: evakulnura | September 29, 2006 12:58 AM

I know, Peppy, it was a joke!
You are the best Peppy in the world!:-))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 28, 2006 04:55 PM

You have my word.

I'm not cloning you.

I don't do this Monnezz.

Posted by: Peppiniello da Capua | September 28, 2006 04:49 PM

Eva! ;-)
The story of Cappuccet Red was my own work!!!!!

As for the cloning... Do you really think he would be Peppiniello? Mummble mummble......;-)))))
NO! I don't think so! Peppiniello is a very good friend (hem...) of mine. He wouldn't never clone me...isnt'it? Hemm...., on second thoughts.. I'm not so sure...! ;-))))) Peppiniello.... are you cloning me?;)))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 28, 2006 11:23 AM

In Australia there isn't much money also spent in movie making,but lot's of talents, and lots of jung kids make movie al the same,they manage with the litle they have,another interesting thingds happening every years is the Sydney film festival,open to everybody,is a short film I think only 5 minutes or less,very popular,and attract lots of interest from overseas, to tax the already exspensive internet is a real fraud,like some of the other tax paid in Italy,and I am against it.

I do nto have anything against our Peppi,I find him funny,and he make me laugh,is just that sometimes it hard to know if he is him or not,or if he write using Raffa name,confusing ,if I hurt your feeling SORRY PEPPI ciao

Posted by: evakulnura | September 28, 2006 02:18 AM

By the way, Peppy (may I call you so? ;)))))))
I'm sure you have a weakness also for Thomas Milian... a certain "Monnezza"
Someone said to me that you are very good in the impersonation of him... is it true? ;-)))))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 28, 2006 01:31 AM

Peppiniello! You never cease to amaze me! I forgot Maurizio Merli totally!
Ah! How could I survive without you!;-))))))))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 28, 2006 01:19 AM

What can I do?

It's my attitude!

I know that a guy that likes Nino D'Angelo could be a threat to you guys but I have to say whatever I have to say.

Also, Maurizio Merli would be outraged seeing that you forgot his name.

:))))

Posted by: Peppiniello da Capua | September 27, 2006 11:09 PM

Raffaella, I suspect it might not be Eva but some clone...

Now, back to the topic... with all the money being pumped into useless programmes or, worse still, spent on structures like public swimming pools or even hospitals that have NEVER been open to the public, why not direct funds to a good qualifying degree in film-making? Why not uplift the study for such instead of expecting the usual work of "dilettanti"??? Finally, why is it that we always seem to be answering our own questions? This farse really seems to be a "giro giro tondo, casca il mondo!"

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | September 27, 2006 07:49 PM

I agree with you, Prince. In Italy we must pay twice to have a good (hem..) service.
I'm sure it's even our fault, because we are not accustumed to expect good quality for our money.
PS) I don't know why Eva is so picking on Peppiniello, but I'm sure, Peppiniello can defend himself very good!;))))
Peppiniello, where are you??;-))))))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 27, 2006 06:43 PM

Question: why SIAE, with all the money that makes does not have a structure for the advancement of young talents?
Why in Italy everything has to be paid twice?
It's like the Italian Mail system: in order to mail your letter you need to pay the "Espresso Mail".
It's in the mentality of the italians: when something must work has to be paid twice.
Why not improving the base serice instead of building on top of pre-existent structures which are a failure to begin with?
It's like changing the underpants without taking a shower.

Eva: why are you picking on Peppiniello?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 27, 2006 06:33 PM

Hollywood movies are everywhere but not all of them succeed. I think nowadays there are 2 ways to make movies: one that is focused on good script and film making while the other is focused mainly on special effects. While italy cannot compete with the last one (due to high budget and probably lack of technical skills), there is therefore room for good script and film making and here comes the real talent ! Hollywood is making hundreds of movies every year but there are many of them which are totally crap, something that you would never immagine someone would be interested in producing or buying. Those movies are sold in developing or undeveloped Countries cause they are cheap.
Mr Colasio, if you are so keen about saving the italian cinema, you should take money out of your own pocket or your party and give it to some proficient italian student who wants to study movie making in USA or, much better, help those who lack the funds to produce their own movies because they do not have political connections (and lucky are those more involved in "girotondi" than promoting italian movies abroad).

Posted by: Cristina Ekipaser | September 27, 2006 04:23 PM

Quand I read Raffaella's raccont of Capuccett Red, I laughed so tant that I felt mal! All those lacrimes in my okks, could not stop laughing! There! To conversate in English you need to preparate yourself with study, observating and provating.

[Sorry, can't get any better, only worse! LOL!]

Thanks Raffaella, I loved your contribution!!

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | September 27, 2006 01:44 AM

Peppiniello,or whatever if it wasn't for your attention deficit disorder,means that you need attention,you are quite funny,use this talent for better things,open your own blog,we can all came to visit you,and have a good laugh,but please stop the cloning,and other bulls..t,ciao

Posted by: evakulnurae | September 27, 2006 12:45 AM

Raffa that was TANT' MA TANT' funny..!!!!
:o))))))

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 27, 2006 12:04 AM

YUK YUK!
;-))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 07:38 PM

Raf:
Looks like this story has been written by Cattivik:)))))

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 26, 2006 07:25 PM

may be because you look like Bud Spencer?????
;-)))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 07:25 PM

I'm off this contest for obvious reasons.

However, I like Fellini a lot and all the Don Camillo's movies.

My little sin are Bud Spencer and Terence Hill....

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 26, 2006 07:23 PM

I can't resist.....;-)))))))
Dedicated to us "4 cats" on the english blog...

Bellissim' story of cappuccett red

One mattin her mamma dissed:
"Dear Cappuccett, take this cest to the nonn, but attention
to the lup that is very ma very kattiv! And torn prest! Good luck!
And in bocc at the lup!".
Cappuccett didn't cap very well this ultim thing but went away, da sol, with
the cest. Cammining cammining, in the cuor of the forest, at acert punt she
incontered the lup, who dissed: "Hi! Piccula piezz'egirl!
'Ndove do you go?".
"To the nonn with this little cest, which is little but it is full of a sacc
of chocolate and biscots and panettons and more
and mirtills", she dissed:
"Ah, mannagg 'a Maruschella (maybe an _expression com: what che bott of cul
that had) dissed the lup, with a fium of saliv out of the bocc.
And so the lup dissed: "Beh, now I dev andar because the telephonin is
squilling, sorry."
And the lup went away, but not very away, but to the nonn's House.
Cappuccett Red, who was very ma very lent, lent un casin,
continued for her sentier in the forest. The lup arrived at the house,
suoned the campanel, entered, and after saluting the nonn, magned her in a
boccon. Then, after sputing the dentier, he indossed the ridicol night beret
and fikked himself in the let. When Cappuccett Red came to the fint nonn's
house, suoned and entered. But when the little and stupid girl saw the nonn
(non was the nonn, but the lup, ricord?) dissed:
"But nonn, why do you stay in let?".
And the nonn-lup: "Oh, I've stort my cavigl doing aerobics!".
"Oh, poor nonn!", said Cappuccett (she was more than stupid, I think, wasn't
she?).
Then she dissed: "But...what big okks you have! Do you bisogn some collir?".
"Oh, no! It's for see you better, my dear (stupid) little girl", dissed the
nonn-lup. Then cappuccett, who was more dur than a block of marm:
"But what big oreks you have! Do you have the Orekkions?". And the nonn-lup:
"Oh, no! It is to ascolt you better".
And Cappuccett (that I think was now really rincoglionited) said: "But what
big dents you have!".
And the lup, at this point dissed: "It is to magn you better!". And magned
really tutt quant the poor little girl. But (ta
dah!) out of the house a simpatic, curious and innocent cacciator of frod
sented all and dissed:
"Accident! A lup! Its pellicc vals a sac of solds".
And so, spinted only for the compassion for the little girl, butted a terr
many kils of volps, fringuells and conigls that he had ammazzed till that
moment, imbracced the fucil, entered in the stanz and killed the lup.
Then squarced his panz (being attent not to rovin the pellicc) and tired
fora the nonn (still viv) and Cappuccett (still rincoglionited).
And so, at the end, the cacciator of frod vended the pellicc and guadagned
honestly a sacc of solds. The nonn magned tutt the leccornies that were in
the cest. And so, everybody lived felix and content (maybe not the lup!).

the long and the short of it is that.... english is easy to learn...! ;-))))))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 07:17 PM

As I said, Paola, I'm a little bit biased against italian films. I know, it's wrong, but when I go to the movie I prefer always to see foreign films (first of all english or american indipendent movies, but I like french movies too). What about this film? Is it good?

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 06:59 PM

Speaking of Italian cinema,has any of you watched the film
"Il Migliore" - "The Best" by Andrea Baldini???

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 26, 2006 06:37 PM

YOU CAN't feel guilty by watching The Blues Brothers, Ellwood!;-))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 06:37 PM

And also by easing up the process without too many stupid and useless expenses to pay, which always stops a lot of creative projects.

Enrico: you mean that I should feel guilty when I watch The Blues Brothers and Animal House? :)))

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 26, 2006 04:38 PM

The idiot upstairs are very sensitive to market's requests, and to be a hit means to make mediocre films like Vanzina & Co. The fiew good alternative directors who want to make something intelligent and innovative, have no choice: they will not find any available producers between the great studios and they must be satisfied with little producers and distributors, who in turn can't propose their works to the great public. A vicious circle.
This situation would be resolved even improving the critical skills and the cultural level of the average population, in other words with more education and information for everybody.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 04:31 PM

Giovanni, it is mainly the mindless violence oozing out of Hollywood I object to. It looks like the NRA is writing the script and deadly weapons must be present most of the time in addition to very descriptive scenes of extreme violence against women and whomever is present in the scene. Top it all up with exploding cities, galaxies, ridiculous car chases and deafening noise. Good grief!!!!

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 26, 2006 04:28 PM

Enrico:
The ugliest Hollywood movies are played on the Sci-Fi channel in mid week.

I cannot believe that there are a lot of people that are financing those monstrosities.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 26, 2006 04:07 PM

Storytellers like Steven Spielberg and George Lucas were born like that.
They sacrificed a lot in their early lives to make movies exactly the way they wanted and they succeeded.

In Italy we have a lot of people that thinks they can make a masterpiece but they lack a lot of imagination and reality.
The reason why the Italian Cinema is at a low point is because those idiots are related to important people which suffocate other talented guys guilty of not being connected.

In Italy we have a lot of Spielberg's and Lucases but their wings are cut by the idiots upstairs.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 26, 2006 04:00 PM

Take solace in the fact that the foul garbage coming out of Hollywood and Bollywood makes movies like "Napoli spara,la polizia risponde" almost masterpieces! Italy is not alone......

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 26, 2006 03:52 PM

Raffaella, I agree with you 100%... the truth is that, very often, these little petty directors think they are geniuses, artists, poets of the screen. If that were true, their films would be masterpieces. Instead you find that in a year, two or three Italian films are masterly made, but the rest is really poor quality.

Why should we be taxed to finance poor quality? I believe honest Italians are already being taxed TOO MUCH. And, believe me, all politicians are bigots. Why not tax JUST the politicians for a change???? That would be something, wouldn't it?

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | September 26, 2006 03:33 PM

Joselle: One of the many reason because Italian films are so mediocre is in my opinion that they are not able to arouse international interest, they are too bounded in the italian context and because of this they can't cross the threshold of italian audience.
Yes, in the 60's we had the "neorealismo", thanks them for the first time great artists like De Sica and Rossellini was showing the italian way of life to the whole world, and the world was delighted about them.
Today this cinema is dead, and those great film directors too. Instead of them, we have too many little pseudo- directors, persisting to make films about italian life, but without the brilliant skills and the exquisit poetry of the old guard.
The worst is that they pretend to cash money from taxpayers!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 03:29 PM

I cannot help but laugh heartily on this post!!! To start with, did you read well Colasio's verbose speech? It reminds me of those good'ole comic strips "Yes Minister" where, of course, the politician is the most awkward, clumsly and idle fellow and his butler is the one who finally gets to "drive" the political car!

Naturally, as you say, whilst there are some wonderful Italian movies [I liked "La Finestra Di Fronte" very much, music included!], I cannot help but change the channel whenever there is one of those films you mentioned, or any of those shabby, untalented and clumsy actors.

And do you remember those police films with that fake blond actor? I think they were filmed in the 70s when I just had chucked off the nappies, with a lot of shooting and car racing, etc, only violent and very unconvincing. If the police were that good, we'd feel mightily protected indeed. Some lousy private stations still show them, probably they are even paid to show them, LOL!

It's like watching "Rambo", right? Ah, ten Rambos and the USA could have won all the wars within a couple of days, not years on end!! Excuse me, today I am unkind :-))) Must be the weather. [You have to blame it on something.]

But let's go back to the topic: why should we be taxed because of someone else's inefficiency? Why should the film industry be anything that dear and important to the state? Why aren't the right type of funds being granted to education and to services from which all and sundry can benefit? Why tax internet????? Are politicians so paranoid of internet and its mind-opening powers? Above all, why tax at all in order to have a local cinema? Are we becoming a closed country now?

Protectionism will only give us one result: mediocrity. If this thing passes in parliament, rest assured that soon there will be another increase because, as we all know, the situation can only degenerate and mediocrity will still be the product of such a policy.

In all these years of financially supporting FIAT with public funds, tell me, in all honesty, did things really change or did the funds only fatten the pockets of a selected few?

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | September 26, 2006 03:01 PM

For The Prince: when I was 15 years old I lost a bet with a friend of mine, and as penalty I had to go to the movies to see the insuperable Edwige Fenech's masterpiece "Quel gran pezzo dell'Ubalda tutta nuda e tutta calda". I was very ashamed to do it, but I did it nonetheless. ;-)))))))Have you seen it?;-)

For Peppiniello: lately, I'was going on losing my bets..the last one I lost was about your neapolitan idol...better not to speak about this penalty...isn't it?;-)))))))))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 02:52 PM

You are correct Raffa,
This is typically Italian, as well as looking at easy ways out...Renovation is the real problem not lack of funds.
Leopard prints will always be in fashion depending on the ways they are used...:o)

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 26, 2006 02:13 PM

Let's not forget the Pierino's and Edwige Fenech' movies!
Real works of art like that should receive financial help from the government!

Can you imagine us being represented abroad by such "artists" like the Vanzina bros., Alvaro Vitali and Gerry Cala'?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 26, 2006 02:00 PM

Eva: the soundtrack for those movies?

Easy does it! Nino D'Angelo and Mario Merola!

Why accept substitutions?

Raf: "'Nu Jeans e 'na maglietta"? Where did you find this masterpiece?

Not even George Lucas could think about such saga!

:))))

Posted by: Peppiniello da Capua | September 26, 2006 01:56 PM

This protectionistic politics is typically italian!
By the way, speaking of car industry, do you remember the prohibition to import japanese cars in Italy, during the 80's? It was a protectionstic and anachronistic measure to support the national car industry (Fiat). This is the italian way to resolve competition problems: blocking the competitors by law instead improving own products.
The leopard can't change his spots.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 12:16 PM

The film industry is an industry like any other, if it fails to support its self the problem leys within.
You don't finance the steel industry by taxing cars because some of their components are made of steel....
As Prince said, if some directors are not "portati" for that job they should look for something else to do...

Enrico Ippo,
What you wrote about Korea might have worked there but I really disagree with it because
Cinema is a form of Art; Art cannot be imposed on people and I find the idea of having to watch a film I haven't chosen to in the first place, a bit frustrating....

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 26, 2006 11:30 AM

"O Zappatore",sound Oscar material,let's say .......best movie,"Napoli spara,la polizia risponde"....... best drama action,"perche'i figli so" pezzi e ccore",......best documentary,we need the music scores,any suggestion?!

Posted by: evakulnura | September 26, 2006 11:09 AM

Prince, as for you, however mechanical engineer you may be, I'm sure you would create better screenplay's ideas than many present italian directors, (with the exception of the ones on my previous comment, otherwise Peppiniello get angry!;-))))))))))
lol, lol, lol!!!!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 10:40 AM

@Peppiniello da Capua: please, forgive my ignorance and my narrow sensitiveness!!!!!! How could I forget such masterpieces!!!!!!
But, first of all, the best of the best! Our common idol Nino D'Angelo in: Nu' jeans e na' maglietta!
;)))))))))))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 10:26 AM

C'mon, Raf

Don't tell me that you don't like those genuine Italian movies like "Perche' i figli so' pezzi 'e 'ccore" or "Napoli spara, la polizia risponde" or "'O Zappatore"?

Shame on you!!!

:))))

Posted by: Peppiniello da Capua | September 26, 2006 03:40 AM

Either way this Colasio guy must decide to:

1) Get the money from the tax

or:

2) Get the money from SIAE

To double up this thing is erroneous and asinine because SIAE is already armed robbery: SIAE is a tax imposed on books, audio and video which supposedly helps the artists but in reality is just supporting bureaucrats with an IQ that allows them to walk back home after (ehm) work, let alone understanding art, while whoever creates the work of art gets the meager remains after those vultures are done with the dismembering of the artist'a body.

I can suggest Mr. Colasio 2 alternate ways to enhance the advancement of Italian cinema:

1) Lower his already stolen wages by giving the difference to the needy Italian directors

or:

2) Take the 3.5% of the gains which his mother makes from her customers on the street.

And I add this (because today I feel generous): To me sounds that if some Italian movie directors need government money to do their job, they are not as good as they think they are because let's not forget that is always the public who decides what is good and what is bad.
To pay this tax is like to have those guys shoved down our throats.

If those guys don't know how to do their job, they can dedicate themselves to something else, like working in a coal mine or in a farm, learning a trade or working in a store like a lot of other people.

At least I can admit that I'm not made to make movies or play an instrument: maybe for this I am a Mechanical Engineer. There is no shame in doing what we like and do it right.

Like for everything, is always your customer which decides if you are good...

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | September 26, 2006 03:38 AM

As for the topic:
I must confess that I don't like italian movies at all. I know, it's not patriotic, but it's the true. I think our cinema must make an effort to grow into a international cinema, and not surviving thanks state fundings.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 02:15 AM

OT to everybody:
While I was not in Rome,a very "likeable" guy was posting in my name, talking about sex therapy on my website. He was a clone!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you, dear clone!!!!!
Evidently, you have a lot of time to waste!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 26, 2006 01:59 AM

Non è una sorpresa vero? Tassare internet per il cinema :) Magari poi ci alzano anche la benzina.

Invece in Corea hanno risolto brillantemente il problema senza tasse. Una legge obbliga i cinema a proiettare una discreta percentuale di film coreani. Poi la concorrenza ha fatto il resto ed adesso il cinema coreano è uno dei più apprezzati.

Fate Vobis.