Mayor DIY

costruisci_il_sindaco.jpg

I live in Nervi and since Iíve got a big family (6 children) Iíve decided to put in a request to transform my home into a Comune {municipality}. If I transfer the residence of my parents-in-law, a couple of friends and my brotherís family, weíd be getting on for twenty people.

Weíd be a bit squashed, but I wouldnít leave anyone without a position. Mayor, deputy mayor, councillors, comune technical person, comune secretary, comune agent, comune police, a few secretaries, a door keeper.
Everyone will have a position. Let it be clear: Iím not paying for anything. Itís the State that has to pay. I will combine the delight of all these positions with the use of public money.

Grilloís comune (Genova-Nervi) would then be competing with the comuni of Pedesina (Sondrio), 38 inhabitants and Morterone (Lecco), 35 inhabitants. In Italy there are 8.100 comuni (source: www.ds.unifi.it), of these 819 have up to 500 inhabitants, 1.140 have between 501 and 1.000, 1.708 have between 1.001 and 2.000. 7,061 comuni have less than 10,000 inhabitants.

And 10,000 inhabitants is the threshold laid down in the unified text on the organisation of local authorities for comuni that are newly formed. At the time, the aim of the legislator was to reduce the number of comuni. The text in fact allows for the provision of State funding to comuni that join together.

Letís do some sums: There are 7,061 comuni with less than 10,000 inhabitants covering a population of 8,049,053 inhabitants. If we divide that by 10,000 we get about 800 comuni. That gives 800 as against 7,061.
Iím asking Padoa Schioppa how much that would save us. He too, should surely do something. Itís not only about saving. Itíd be more efficient. The comuni in the same area have the same problems. To divide up the municipalities is not only a costly exercise, it also often leads to immobility or to divergent decisions. One comune downstream has a purifier and the one above doesnít even have a sewer.

Result: public costs (purifier) together with private shit. There can be numerous examples and I invite bloggers to report their own. In the tiny comuni you donít elect a mayor but a family member. At times itís the son of the previous mayor. Or anyway a family member of second or third communal degree.

Comments

Sorry, 2 many mid first names!!!!
COMUNI = BONDS!
or oo /7/8
Nephew ism
or
grandfather ism
or just
ism

Posted by: Maria Rosa Consuelo Spera | September 6, 2006 06:55 PM

Paola, I've written to him too. Let's see if he's going to do something or else....

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 6, 2006 03:45 PM

To everybody:
I write usually on the italian side too. This very disagreable phenomenon of "cloning" other people's name is very widespread in there. So much widespread that it's becoming practically impossibile to know whom are you talking with.
We asked Beppe for a password, or at least an automatic link between name and e-mail address, so that nobody can use other people's ame to write down his bullshit!
I hope it will happen as soon as possibile.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 6, 2006 03:27 PM

Enrico,
I have written to
info@beppegrillo.it

it is for technical assistance and other things but maybe if they receive a few e-mails from us they will take notice and do something...
What do you say??

Posted by: paola filinesi | September 6, 2006 03:10 PM

This A.....e is doing here what many other A.....es have done to other Sites. She/He's going to kill it and this is the only reason for her/him to be here. BEPPE: ASK YOUR TECKIES TO BLOCK HER/HIM OR ELSE KISS YOUR BLOG GOODBY. I have given you the same advice for the Italian version of your Blog that is now best to be avoided because of all the crazies destroying it, but you probably did'nt read my comment.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | September 6, 2006 02:26 PM

The idea of grouping these small local councils into larger ones is very plausible. However (I know, there is always a but) try to see what the reaction of those concerned would be. I wonder what the majors of the almost 7,000 deplaced councils would have to say to this idea...

Many of our politicians are not really that interested where the taxpayer's money is going. Do you think they will really bother why taxes are draining our savings, our pockets, and our very existence? I really doubt it.

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | September 6, 2006 02:25 PM

Good night, Eva! Don't worry about them!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 6, 2006 01:34 PM

Raf,Enrico ,I am going to sleep now,every thing written from now till tomorrow,is not written by me, but from some wanker using my name,ciao

Posted by: evakulnurae | September 6, 2006 01:17 PM

Peppiniello da Capua?
It remind me of something....
;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | September 6, 2006 12:43 PM

Anything to squander taxpayer's money away.

Posted by: Peppiniello da Capua | September 6, 2006 04:32 AM

Just one more thing that shows nothing ever makes any sense in Italy.

Posted by: Raffaele Monoferale | September 6, 2006 02:22 AM

This sounds like a great idea! :-)
Regards, Doppiafila