Nervous Breakdown

esaurimento.jpg

I donít know about you. But my valves are starting to smoke. Nothing works anymore for anyone. Itís a day of ordinary folly every day of the year. The temperature is going up, up, up. Requesting a driving licence, a passport, a permit, any old document, just reduces us to frothing at the mouth.
If you repair white goods the technician has got to come out three times before it works. And usually itís the fridge or the hot water heater. If you get a train, itís late. If you get a plane itís on strike.
If you need a place at the local publicly run nursery, itís already taken. If the State needs to pay you back, the pay back never comes. If you donít pay a utility bill, they impound your garage. If you raise your voice to get your rights heard, they sue you for calumny. If you cross the road at the pedestrian crossing, they run you down.
If you are stuck in a wheelchair, you find the inevitable 4x4 parked on the ramps for disabled people. If thereís a gas leak in your apartment block, your home can blow up before someone comes to sort it.
If you are in commerce, you have to transform yourself into Charles Bronson. If your telephone line doesnít work, you are cut off for weeks. If you park your car, you are blocked in by a car thatís double-parked. If you object, they beat you up (at that moment you get a fire-arms permit).
If you are walking in the woods, the motorbikes and off-road vehicles arrive. If you walk along the river itís a sewer. If you stroll through the public park, itís a public refuse.
If thereís the mafia, you still have to live with the State.
And the fault is always of the others. Blessed others. The people without respect. Obviously, we are better. If we donít pay taxes, itís because they are too high. If we donít complain about the public official, itís to avoid repercussions. If we donít pay a technician for a job thatís done badly, itís because itís best not to bother.
If we donít telephone the mayor at his home at midnight to shout in a non-human way that a nursery is more important than a car park, itís because itís not done.
Itís tiring, ever more tiring living in Italy. We are submerged by shit. Perhaps itís best to start re-emerging right now. Perhaps we need to get down to the job. Do something. Defend yourselves. Iím at sub-zero tolerance.

PS Apart from a populist drift, do you think that Iíve also got a nervous breakdown?

Comments

Keeping quite is not usually in my nature,
So here I am playing the devil once more...:o))

Everything said is true and well respected since it represents the opinion of my fellow bloggers.

The examples mentioned bellow could be contrasted (I am not sure the word is correct) with several other examples of problems someone would face in other countries.
For example:
- receiving a package off working hours with additional charge
- paying for plastic bags was introduced in Italy after being practiced abroad first, where the habit of a carrier bag began
- You don't have "zingari" around but you have homeless in sleeping bags in subway corridors and musicians asking for money
- You have train delays because of suicides..
- You have enormous builder fees for a small repair...
- You have gangs in the streets after certain hours
- You have areas where you can't go even in daylight..
- Besides a nice polite answer to your letter, from your MP, you rarely, if ever, get anything done...
- You get mugged in broad day light at gun point...
- The Subway is not safe after 10 o'clock in the evening
- Racism is sooo obvious and a huge problem..
- Environmental indifference (Kyoto Protocol and ridiculous excuses by various countries)

I could go on, but this was not the purpose of my post....What I mean is that loosing our temper can only cause damage to our health...
Acting is best, and acting could begin from the family, the neighbours, the area where one lives and so on...

ps."Take care, these Italians, full of failings, are neither you, nor me; they are your neighbours, the ones you meet on the staircase and whom you do not like to greet."
Alberto Sordi

Posted by: paola filinesi | November 1, 2006 01:10 AM

that's a case of a clone who is really better than the original!!!!!!
;-)))))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 31, 2006 07:33 PM

No Raffaella, the real GWB couldn't string together two coherent sentences.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 31, 2006 06:47 PM

Giorgio Cespuglio?
Are you George W. Bush?
;-)))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 31, 2006 06:08 PM

Americano Confuso,

What you mention is only the tip of the iceberg. I think you'll enjoy living in the US a whole lot more after spending a couple of years in Italy!!

hahaha!!

By the way, don't get too tied up there. The whole system is about to fall apart and it's going to be a huge mess--of the kind experienced by Argentina.

Good luck!

Posted by: Giorgio Cespuglio | October 31, 2006 06:01 PM

Americano Confuso:
You are right, but the worst of the worst is once again the italian way of thinking about many thigs, like respect to other people and to the environment.
As for the point #8: may be carabinieri do almost nothing to prevent thefts in the subway from Gypsy people and others, but in the US they do TOO MUCH!
I saw last summer a scene that I will never forget: a black beggar on wheelchair was begging in front of a mall. May be he was a little too loud, but nothing more. A policeman came and bawled him to go away as soon as possible. The beggar answered something to him that I didn't understand. Then the policeman grasped and rattled the wheelchair of the beggar until he fell to the ground. As the beggar was on the ground the policeman went on with shouting and beating him, saiyng : Stand up, stand up! but the beggar couldn't stand up because he was paralyzed.
I was paralyzed for disgust too.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 31, 2006 04:38 PM

Hello, Americano Confuso!

You just hit the nail on the head.

This is just the tip of the iceberg: every time I havo to go to Italy I'm faced with the same BS all the time.
Whenever I go to Italy for business or a short vacation, I have to get pissed off at these little things that most would think it would be applied to 3rd world countries.
When I get back to the US I just feel like I'm back home and far from those hassles.
I have a better way to spend my time.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 31, 2006 02:01 PM

Tell me about it Beppe, as an American Italian (mia madre Ť romana) who came here to live a couple years to experience a different lifestyle, I couldn't have imagined how much the Italian attitude of "che se ne fregga" is applied in everyday life to the gross inadequacies and problems with dealing with companies and public agencies here in Italia. Some of my examples that I am now living/lived through include:

1. 3-4 months to get a drivers license if you go through the motorizzazione yourself :(
2. two words, TELECOM ITALIA!!
3. Trying to receive a package from a corriere if you work normal business hours
4. PAYING around Ä0,18/minute to be able to talk to someone at customer service for a problem that probably isn't your fault (e.g SKY, Trenitalia)
5. Waiting 6 months to get a reimbursement from Trenitalia
6. Paying close to 30-35% of your stipendio (lorda) only for a "pension" that the government probably won't be able to pay you in the future!
7. Paying for plastic bags at some grocery stores (how cheap can you get)
8. Dealing with zingari every day on the metro, and watching carbinieri that do almost nothing stand around all day.
9. Paying 20% "fees" to recharge a cell phone!

While there are nice things about Italy, I don't think I could live here for the long term. I feel a bit sad for the next generation of italians and specifically for my coworkers who more than likely in the future will be working hard to make barely a livable wage, when stuck with big mortages and lots of fees. Ciao middle class in italia it was nice to see the end of it at least.

-Un americano confuso

Posted by: Americano Confuso | October 31, 2006 01:05 AM

Beppe,

You need to relax a bit. If you snap in half and melt down, you won't be able to help, and we wouldn't have this blog to toss ideas around in. You *are* contributing to what will hopefully be a better situation for the Italian people. You shouldn't forget that.

Posted by: Charles Terenzio | October 30, 2006 11:38 PM

Beppe, it seems to me that we are stirring the same soup,over and over.I think there are few ways of dealing with the thing you mention on your post,be involve into politics,or start taking prozac,and electroshock therapy,or live the country once for all,the australian immigrants would love you,come down under life is easyer,and we do have plenty of pesto and good coffe everywhere,good luck ciao

Posted by: evakulnura | October 30, 2006 10:45 PM

Enrico...that's the biggest truth. As long as italians have that little bit that makes them temporarly happy they'll forget about the rest of the main issues. The political class knows it and laugh out loud!

Posted by: Perfida Albione | October 30, 2006 09:31 PM

Italians are nothing but a bunch of Farinellis. As long as they can sample a tiny bit of la dolce vita they are willing to put up with anything! Menefreghismo reigns supreme to the delight of the political class.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 30, 2006 08:31 PM

Ciao Grillo, I suppose you are a bit in a nervous breakdown because you are a sensitive person, probably you watch too much tv or you listen to every alarm that which comes around. First of all, I would like to remind to find some type counsel, some spiritual understanding of things, for example it seems to me you live in a state of "endism", every time you talk the apocalypse seems getting to us. But there is no apocalypse. The earth is stronger than we think: we would be already in a worse state because of pollution, the earth is able to clean up herself to some degree. You should relax a bit and be a bit more optimistic. And there are changes in the Earth state which are not due to hman activities.
And you expect too much in a short time, we cannot change habits in a short time. Some disgraces will have to happen for the majority of people to change.
Maybe you have to focus yourself in everyday life and enjoy that more. Maybe you should love more your country, the only thing I appreciate of some right wingers. And finally - you should give less importance to politics

Posted by: francesco filippi | October 30, 2006 07:24 PM

Sorry!
I'm dyslexic!
Wake up, not weak up!
;-))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 30, 2006 07:08 PM

It will be too late! We must weak up before our bellies fell hungry, otherwise we will end up like Argentina!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 30, 2006 07:06 PM

Beppe
Until they will be bitten in their ass, the Italians will go on this way.

I hope that soon they will wake up.

Information is there for them to grab: when their bellies will feel hungry they will wake up.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 30, 2006 06:52 PM

All this "crap" make me think about "Falling Down" the 1993 movie with Michael Douglas amd Robert Duvall. You have all my sympathy. Things like that happen to most countries but at least in UK people attitude is to write and complain about it. Write to your local MPs telling them off. Write to the plumbers company and complain about the quality of the work of their plumbers. Write! Call! Fax! Email!
It seems to me that italians still prefer the "why bother?" attitude. Come on do something about it. It's about time!!
Today I have joined "Louder than words".
It's the successor to the Greenpeace Cyberactivist Community. I have read the latest WWF report and followed last night interview with Nicholas Stern, economic advisor of the UK Government. The future looks grim and not very bright as some mobile provider used to say!

I am worried. I have been worried for a while. Global warming, global dimming, ice caps melting, Kyoto threat are issues that we have being talking about for a few years now. It sounds like not many are listening. Governments aren't doing enough. Forums, blogs have appeared here and there but I have not seeing much actions.

The news report from time to time a "breaking news" fact about the climate condition but it seems everything become quiet a few days later. What the heck are we doing? We are killing ourselves! We must all get together and put a massive pressure on our local MPs. Let's write to them and tell them that they aren't doing enough to protect our World, our air, our trees, our health, our children's health, our future! Let's tell them we want real people to represent our voices. Let's send them home!

It's time to act. There's no time to talk about this anymore. We must act NOW!

Posted by: Perfida Albione | October 30, 2006 05:21 PM