One, two, RESET!

scarpone.jpg

RESET. Iím not happy unless I do a RESET a day.
Todayís itís the turn of our employees. The ones who are camping out in the corridors of the Lower and Upper Houses and in the TV studios. Theyíve got a miserable life and they are doing it for us. They do a bit of gossip, vote in the Chamber, a few declarations.
They are drifting. To avoid a popular counter-drift I want to make a true demagogic proposal. Basically to drift in a populist and demagogic way, like an ordinary person.
Something for simple people, not coming from refined cultured people with the supremacy of politics. Something that democracies in a terminal phase need. A popular proposal for a law with the collection of signatures to reduce to 2 the number of terms of office for a parliamentarian. Retroactive.
Two and stop. Then you go back to work. Lend yourself to politics was once a common phrase. A citizen temporarily left his profession. To serve the country. Politics has become a permanent profession with indistinct boundaries. Italy is, using a popular expression, in the shit.
But who has brought us to this? And why allow them to continue to cause damage? Soon I will publish the list of parliamentarians who have served for more than 2 terms of office so that you can make this known to others on the Web.
They are the names of those responsible for the collapse, the ones who have led the country. Or will the blame always go to the recession, the boom, the heat of the summer or the conflict of interests in winter?
The parliamentarians even celebrate their anniversaries, their ten years, thirty years of permanence. But whatís this? A competition for whose electoral seat can resist? If there are no young people in politics, itís because the places have been occupied for generations.
Letís renew Parliament. Letís not weigh down these long-haul parliamentarians with further responsibility.
One, two, RESET!

PS. Another friend has left us. A giant. Good bye Bruno Lauzi.

Comments

Giacomo,
Everything is well said but in order to have these changes you have to change the Constitution... Who is going to do that???

Posted by: paola filinesi | November 1, 2006 11:50 PM

Hello here I am again, and my comment goes to all the Political Class, they should realise what Voters are domanding from them. The Politicians before going out with new taxes and changes to the already immense number of laws should and could clean up the Government first of all. Like I sat 50% of GDP is and should be way sufficient to run anything in this Country, we had 50 years of incompetence, nepotism, inefficience, reccomandation, waist, etc etc. This has to end when a Senator makes 15000 Euros a month plus whatever other benefit he/she gets has to realise it is about 11 time what the average Joe Blow is making while these politicians are supposed to only Manage this Country not suck it dry. Do any of You really believes that a normal educated person from the street and put in oplace of any minister would do worst than any of these bufoons. They are complete incompetent in any of the Ministry they are in charge Mastella (Justice, make me laugh) DiPietro (Infrustructure he is a Judge for goodness sake!) Parisi Defence (I have no clue what credentials has this guy?) Bindi the Family Ministry (She is a lesbian ?) Rutelli Belle Arti (He was a mejer of Rome what does he knows about art)? The moral of the story is that these guy play the Marry goes Around with the Ministry and it is irrelevant what Ministry they get, someone behind the seen will draft the policy they point at eachother in the Chanbers the laws goes through sckewed in favor of whatever Parties is in charge and we pay the conseguences hile for them is only a good day lake any other of bad work. Now can anyone of You do this? I do believe You can the only thing stopping you is the fact like I sat before this buffoons had 50 years of practice and they have built up a system where they are in and you are out, You get to choose between the two so called Parties (They decide amongst themself who the leader is) only every five yeras. The only way You get a chance to express your opinion or dissadisfaction is every five years! Now this is the reality, whether a Government does good or bad is irrelevant because once booted out of office they still rant and rave they did a good job (Proff Berlusconi he maintaned all the points with the Contract with the Italians!) Prodi now sat when I was at the Government I got Italy in the Euro and fixed everything but his government went down any how. The moral to this story is these buffoons are irrelevant and it doesn't matter who goes up there the fact remains that whomever will go up there is not "Resposibile for anything he/she does" untill there will be check and balances put on them this situation will repeat itself endlessly like it has been for the last 58 years and 56 government. Let's not make it happen again please it is up to each and everyone of us!
Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | November 1, 2006 03:30 PM

Hello everyone, and I feel the same way about the Political Class we do have today, just as a riminder it took 50 years of evolution to get these Politicians up there in the bottons room and do you really think a simple web site where people vent there frustration will get these Incompetents out of there? I wish with You although deep down inside of me I know it will not happen untill something more radical and violent will happen. Now I wish there was an easy and simple way out but more government and prime minister get changed more of the same happen and this is the reality we are in. Sometime we should look at ourself do the "mea culpa" and ask ourself what happen to my beautifull Italy to the self reliant Italy to the Pro-active Italy, I tell you it has been suckered into the page of the Divine Commedy of Dante and while we are cussing and shamed ourself these Politician are laughing all the way to the Bank. Like the great Kennedy sat long time ago "Ask not what the Country can do for You, but what You can do for your Country?" Is up to us each and every one of us to pretend, demand, require, and not be sutisfy untill we get these buffoons to be held accountable and responsible for what they do but more importantly what they don't do. These buffoons have no responsibilities do not have to justify to anyone are not elected just assigned to their sit by the Parties meantime they live lavishly with not a single worry just crusing along while the working folks pays more taxes and lesser service every day. They have grown out of touch because we let them, when is campaign time they promised the moon now we get hell and more taxes. Now I may be wrong but this Political Class is way out of touch with reality because whenever something is applicable to the last of us is definetelly not applicable to them, that is usually the first sign that the s..t ha hit the fan and while we have our tax return x-rayed by anyone their tax return is State-Secret (Why should be public as a rule) we have seen our daily economy going down the drain while the cost of governing Italy has going through the roof (Latest 4.1 % of GDP) why? How can a Country function so badly when it sucks uo 50 % of GDP (Statistic 44.1% taxes + 4.1% deficit = 48.2 of GDP). Now can someone tell me wehre did all this money went, I am positive al the Politician will blam the government before and the one before them with the only difference that the Government before was still them because these guys do not go away once they get booted out they learned to go out and come back in from another side still leaghing all the way to bank again. We have to demand Direct voting by name, individuals elected twice at the most must not be working for the Government ever again, eliminate Parties with less than 12% of Actual Voters and pretend that once elected if thing do not improved the next term they will be automatically not allowed to run (Like in the real word if a CEO looses money to the Company is a goner for good no coming back!). Sorry this is frustrating for me as well although I am sorry but I see coming a very ugly and hurtful thing in Italy but I can only justified in mind as a response to the ignorance and irresponsable behavior of these Political Class.
Thanks for the opportunity, but I mad as hell about this

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | November 1, 2006 02:25 PM

Eva,
The article you mentioned is very informative
and VERY TRUE!!
I only whish more people would care to read it...

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 30, 2006 08:41 AM

MY RESET!!!!!!! PART I

Hi Beppe,

I'm writing from Dublin where I've been living on and off for the past 10 years. I tried many times to come back to Italy but I saw it sinking deeper and deeper every day. I just get a grip in my stomach, a grip of rage and disgust. I met tons of Italians who left the country, who have a degree but feel better off working as waiters here or in other countries rather than go back to that scum. I would like to do something but I feel powerless. We deluded ourselves for years, that we were living in democracy, but what is democracy? Plato considered it just a degree better than tiranny and I start to agree with him.
There are no adjustments that will make Italy better, the only solution is to start from scratch. Remove all the scum and start it all over again. But how? It seems such a Utopy.

- I would like to get rid of all political parties. They've lost their meaning. They are out of this world, all they can see is their own image reflected and distorted against another political party.

- A governement should be an institution acting to constantly better the life quality of the citizens it represents as much as it possibly can. It should analyze the potentials and the problems of its country and put all its possible efforts to solve those problems and exploit the potentials.

- Italy is a wonderful mixture of culture and geographical variety, it could self sustain with turism only if there was a plan...where is the plan?
A plan to exploit our cultural inheritage lying even in the smallest of village. I don't understand why the Irish attract millions of turists every year to kiss a f..ing "rock" and we let our art decay so miserably.
A plan to value the 1000s of kilometres of coasts, the mountains, the hills, the lakes, the forests, the natural parks.
...continued

Posted by: raul ciannella | October 30, 2006 03:35 AM

MY RESET PART II

- I acknoledge that this variety could also be a problem in terms of managing the country. So why doesn't the goverment let the Regions (a smaller, more controllable goverment, closer to its reality) manage themselves. Why should the people pay taxes to one central place and this central place then redistribute it back to the regions? It doesn't make sense!

- There are millions of little villages and small towns in Italy. They should be the centre of interest, the engines which propels our progress, but instead, most of them are abandoned to rot and fester, lots of them seem to have stopped living 50 years ago.

- A good goverment should understand that the south has the resources both climatic and geographic to be a laboratory for alternative energy sources. Investing in the south as a virgin territory for new technologies would mean taking a graveyard and turning it into a farm. More jobs, more enthusiasm, a new renaissance that would irradiate the whole country.

- The educational system has to be revised completely. I would pulverize most of the schools and build them from scratch and while buinding them build a new system that actually educates kids instead of turning them into preprogrammed androids.
Give them the opportunity to practice more sports, more art, music, cinema, theatre alongside with languages, computer and hystory.

- Don't you think that if someone lives in the trash has a lot more chances to create trash? let's get rid of all the suburbs, those sad, ugly inhumane blocks of concrete where u squeeze families in. Let's build decent, dignified houses, obligatorily designed with technologies that allow to save energy, recycle materials, with a lot of green around so that kids can play, with underground parking, with facilities for the disabled, so that everyone can enjoy the space.

Posted by: raul ciannella | October 30, 2006 03:34 AM

...continued MY RESET PART III
-Electric or hydrogen fuelled public transports, cycling routes everywhere.
-parks and public places for people to enjoy, with games for kids and adults, paths for skating and rollerblades (look what they did in barcelona for christ sake!!!!)

Life is not easy and we all know it. Citizens should put their skills and qualities into their jobs, because they live in a community and a community needs to produce all sort of goods to sustain itself and they pay taxes not because it's fancy, or because they owe something to an authority but to get services from the government that represents them and which would possibly, make they're life as easy and comfortable as possible. If a government fails this then the citizens should dismiss it. Once and for all. Which means to never see those stupid, arrogant, ignorant, worthless faces ever EVER AGAIN!!!!

THAT'S MY RESET BEPPE. DO YOU HAVE ANY ANSWERS?

Posted by: raul ciannella | October 30, 2006 03:31 AM

I read today an article on senator Randazzo and MP Marco Fedi, both elected this year to the italian parliament as the menber for the italian electorate of Australia,Asia and Africa,(as Paola said)we immigrants might have the solution to Italy problems,we need more of us in parliaments,love to hear your comments, look into www.smh.com.au ,news review, page 29, "Enter the world citizen" ciao :-)))

Posted by: evakulnura | October 28, 2006 12:04 PM

Paola,what you say,sound good to me!ciao :-))

Posted by: evakulnura | October 27, 2006 06:30 AM

"what's next???" Good question there..!!!
Those who have the power and the proper connections (Like Beppe Grillo) should take action...!!!
Gather signatures, make proposals, use their media power to publicly advertise new proposals and changes.
Have meetings with influential people, present a complaint,present a
proposal signed by members of this blog and other individuals.
In the mean time we, at least those of us who vote for the Italian Parliament,should carry on with our objections.
It's the immigrants' votes which overthrough Berlusconi. We did it once we can do it again....!!!

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 27, 2006 05:09 AM

I agree with all of you,what next?

Posted by: evakulnura | October 27, 2006 04:10 AM

Yes! 2 terms and then back to work. No more full-time professional politicians. A wonderful idea (yet again) from Mr Grillo. FORZA BEPE!

Posted by: Jez Booker | October 26, 2006 11:46 PM

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!
My generation sucks.

Posted by: Giuseppe Graceffa | October 26, 2006 10:59 PM

Paola,
You are right - 12 years is far too long.

The pension rights are that have been discussed are ridiculous - as has been said, it should be an honour to serve your country - at present it seems as though the voters are expected to feel honoured to have the 'kind' people who purport to lead them. This is upside down. As Mr Grillo says - RESET time or else another dose of Mr B - you have been warned.

Posted by: Alex R | October 26, 2006 10:46 PM

Paola: I find this difference about terms of retirement between of members of parliament and nomal citizen the worst of all!!!!!
It's shameful.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 26, 2006 10:09 PM

The italian version of this would be that the citizens suggestions ends up in the wastepaper basket with the compliments of the congressman!!!!!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 26, 2006 10:01 PM

Giovanni: "They are not lazy Mother....ers like the italian ones."
And I thought I was being rude to the Onorevoli by calling them skunks (which of course they are)!

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 26, 2006 10:00 PM

Raf:
Citizens suggestions, when they make sense, are put into the congressman's agenda to be discussed.

At the end, when the congressman wants to be reelected, all what he accomplished will be made public and the people would judge to whether reelect him or not.

Clear like water.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 26, 2006 08:47 PM

Raffa,
Responsibility goes with qualification and obviously most of them are the least qualified to practice what they are paid for...:o))

A few days ago here, the parliament had tried to introduce a new close concerning an alteration to the pension scheme of the members of parliament.The idea was that if you served 2 consecutive terms you would be eligible to a pension amount equal to a 15 years working benefits...!!! Isn't that good???
Now this ,I think shows that "All bigs look alike"....:o)))
Of course this close was immediately withdrawn...

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 26, 2006 08:16 PM

Paola, I agree with you. Obviously politicians must be payed a little more than other workers, because they have more responsibility for the good of the country than a simple citizen, but not so much more like the italian ones!!!!!!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 26, 2006 08:06 PM

Ok, Prince, but what happens after this?
Are citizen's suggestions putting into practice, or not?

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 26, 2006 07:59 PM

Sorry I pressed the "post" button before ending my messege..:o)

Any way, I just wanted to say that if being a politician was paid like any other ordinary job then I wander how many of the so called "sensitive patriots" would really choose to get involved in politics...!!!

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 26, 2006 07:58 PM

Raff: the politicians do answer the citizens by writing back to them and by personally signing the letter.

They are not lazy Mother....ers like the italian ones.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 26, 2006 07:54 PM

Prince,
This is definitely NOT the place to argue about US policy and freedom of speech and the effectiveness of writing to congressmen or contacting them directly...

In my opinion, members of parliament enjoy way too many privileges compared to ordinary citizens who elected them in order to serve them...!!
I am talking about every day privileges...I am talking about free meals, about free air tickets for their families, about gazoline,about heating, electricity bills, telephone bills, parking privileges etc.
A member of parliament does cost the country a lot more than his salary. If you add up the extras and multiply them by all members of parliament you'll end up with a considerable sum of money taken out of the country's yearly budget.
Nobody talks about these things, everybody talks about cutting down on education, health, pensions etc. but never about arms and show off expenses...!!!

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 26, 2006 07:54 PM

Prince: the direct line like in he USA is very god, but the question is: do the politician answer to the citizen?
If not, it will remain a window-dressing without any practical use.
As for the RESET: As I wrote on the italian side, I think we have a great power: voting.
First of all we must change this horrible electoral law from Berlusconi. Then, if we are not satisfied with our members of parliament, we only need not to vote them any more, and they won't be elected.
But it didn't happen, why?
The answer is: because italian people unfortunately deserve italian politicians, and vice versa.
Italians must change themselves, otherwise nothing will change in our country.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 26, 2006 07:51 PM

Two terms are always better than the number of actual terms belonging to the current politicians.

Also, if the politician has a financial gain from other sources, his wages would be reduced 50-60% in a way that he will prove his/her dedition to the cause of giving a better shape to Italy instead of stealing bread to its citizens.

A good thing would also be a direct line to every politician, accessible by anybody who would like to give his feedback, like here in USA, where anybody could write to his congressman.

This should break down this degenerated Oligarchy.

MortadellaMan, are you reading this or are you thinking to hide behind some smoke screen?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 26, 2006 06:16 PM

Alex,
Maybe these politicians you are refering to could stay on longer but only as trusted advisors.
Howeve I still believe that 12 (debending on the country of course)consecutive years in partliament for a politician is way too much...:o)

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 26, 2006 05:28 PM

Limiting terms would be a great way to ensure that some new blood enters parliament, however, good experienced politicians can be useful too. I would go for 3 terms or some system whereby a fixed number of politicians are able to stay on for longer - based on their performance in some way.

My opinion.

Posted by: Alex R | October 26, 2006 05:05 PM

The sad thing is, the only people who CAN limit them to 2 terms, are the people who have NO interest in staying 2 terms.

Catch 22, something the american congress went through a few years ago, debate and debate until the public loses interest, then quietly forget about it.

Posted by: Nick W | October 26, 2006 04:57 PM

I would agree with the proposal, 2 terms are more than enough to show some results.
Then if he/she feel that they have the physiological strength to try it again, should wait another 2 terms before trying to be re-elected.

In the mean time however, all political,financial and social privileges acquired during the period while holding their parliamentary status, should be dropped. I would even go further and say that not even the title ex-....
should be used, because it would indirectly affect the judgment and behavior of common people in their presence....

ps. well...you can tell I am in the mood and obviously dislike them all, don't you? :o)

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 26, 2006 03:04 PM

I agree.. where do I need to sign!!! Also I would suggest,(while they are running), their capabilities on projects planned should be submitted to quaterly checks like everyone does when running a private company. Nowdays with technology can be done, via internet, or teletext etc.. everyone except under ages could access using finger print a site to consult the governement agenda and agree and/or explain differences with the way things are dealt.This could be done on a national level and local level as well and in a way could lead to a true democracy. What do you think?

Ciao, Nicola

Posted by: Nicola Di Battista | October 26, 2006 02:06 PM

Why not limit the skunks to one term only? We can thus greatly reduce the damage inflicted by their incompetence and corruption.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 26, 2006 12:39 PM