Publishing suicide

impiccato.jpg

Today I feel optimistic. I look at the sky of my Liguria and take a deep breath and I feel good. Iíve just read the decree about the Internet and information. Iím publishing it here.
Relax and read it.

ďUrgent arrangements concerning taxes and financeĒ
published in the Gazzetta Ufficiale {Official Government publication} n. 230 of 3 October 2006
Art. 32.
Reproduction of articles in magazines and newspapers
In article 65 of the law dated 22 April 1941, n. 633, after comma 1, the following is inserted:
ę1-bis. Those who reproduce, in any way, totally or partially, articles in magazines or newspapers, must pay a sum to the publishers of the works where these articles were taken from. The amount of this sum and the way it is paid are determined on the basis of agreements between the parties as laid down in the previous paragraph and the associations of the interested categories. Excluded from the obligation to pay are the public administrations described in article 1 of the decree dated 30 March 2001, n. 165Ľ.

Basically the law says that you have to pay to report online part of articles published in newspapers and magazines. Itís an incentive to no longer copy what is false, to not spread the lies of the economic groups and the parties.
Itís like the law that forbade smoking, in fact itís better, itís a law that puts the brakes on the spreading of lies. The lawmaker is certainly an Internet infiltrator. Thank you legislator!
The publishers wonít take this too well. When they see the number of citations and references to their sites dropping. When the traffic goes down. When the advertisers no longer telephone them. Then they can commit suicide in a truly definitive, virile, way. And they can allow access to their sites only on receipt of payment.

Letís make Creative Commons spread to all blogs. To all free websites, to allow for the distribution of published content. If the editorial groups want to cite us, they can in complete freedom. Whereas we, in our turn will cite them no longer.

Comments

Tank you Enrico!
:-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 22, 2006 04:42 PM

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla
to read about this much ignored genius.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 22, 2006 04:43 AM

who is Mr. Nikola Tesla ?

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 22, 2006 02:47 AM

Mr. Nikola Tesla discovered a lot of things before being "silenced" by the corporations.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 22, 2006 12:54 AM

Right, Prince!
Many science fiction creations are coming true today: for example the famous walkie-talkie radio by Star Trek (beam me up, Scotty!)was the model for our present cellphones!
;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 21, 2006 08:24 PM

Do you guys remember those science fiction movies ambiented in the immediate future (2010-2025) where the middle class has been deprived of their rights and was treated like dirt by the big corporations?
These days look like the prelude of that.
Maybe it's just fiction but let's not forget that a lot of fantasy featured into many movies of the '50s is coming true today.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 21, 2006 07:59 PM

Eva,
Europe is changing too, and not for the better. The first time I came to Germany (1988)I was very surprised not to see homeless people, in comparison with Italy at that time. I saw women and old people alone at night in the subway, fearless to be mugged or snatched, nobody took care to remove the car radio from his car, like italians did.
The reason was the social security system which guaranted a minimum for all - enough to have a roof over the head, and to survive - and the good employement and economic situation of the country.
Today, 20 years after, German streets look like the american (or the italian) ones: many homeless, more violence, more insecurity. The social system is changed, people get less money, there are more and more jobless who are getting less and less unemployment benefit, the population is becoming poor and with poverty grows the violence and insecurity too.
Even if we are living in G8 conutries, with increasing of social competition and instability, there will be always weak people who are not able to be in step with the high performance requests of our society, and those people will fall behind and be plunged into poverty. The market by itself can't guarantee the redistribution of wealth.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 21, 2006 01:37 PM

OK ,I got it now,ciao:-))

Posted by: evakulnurae | October 21, 2006 11:52 AM

Exactly what I meant Eva..
My post was ironic...I mentioned the G8 on purpose, to show that even the countries that
consist it are worsening living conditions for their citizens....:o(

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 21, 2006 10:52 AM

Paola, to be poor or homeless in the G8 contry,I do not think is a lucky option,better to be homeless in Thaiti or Fijgi islands,even in India,a homeless would get some food,but I saw people in New York living in cardbox in the middle of winter,and that was very very sad,sadly is start happening over here as well,that what worries me,called americanization or globalization doesn't matter,what matter that everybody should have a roof over their head,when something like this is happening I think the goverments are failing their people.ciao

Posted by: evakulnura | October 21, 2006 10:37 AM

Eva,
In Greek there is a phrase which, badly translated says " Where there is dry land there is home"...
I believe it to be very true and especially to us "immigrants"...:o)
As for what you called "americanize" its called "globalization"...!!!
These are the consequences...Big corporations become impersonal, no human feelings, just a well functioning mechanism that aims to profit for the selected few who are part of it....
Lycky for us we are citizens of the G8 countries!!!

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 21, 2006 09:04 AM

Thanks guys!no going back is not in my mind,I got family here, and my kids are australian in all sense,Italy for them would be like going to mars,it is a pity that is a great country run by ...........,you know what I mean,as for the topic its seems to me we are getting more and more americanize,here in Australia too,I have see many change in this country too and not for the better,the goverment passed a law,that anybody can be fire without any reason,it is good for us small business,(mind you I have the same staff and they been woking for us for the last 11 years,the only one that left,started is on business selling the same products in smaller scale,and doing very well,good for him!),but won't be good for the rest of people, ,when security it taking away,who is going to buy a house knowing, that they might not be able to repay the mortgage,and there are more and more people living on the street,this is very scary and sad.

Posted by: evakulnurae | October 21, 2006 02:26 AM

Eva, stay put in Australia and don't heed Rome's siren call! I know Italians who went back to Italy two and even three times only to come back to Canada poorer and totally disillusioned. Emigrants have a tendency to remember the usual nice things about Italy, forgetting the many horrible cicumstances that drove them away in the first place. From what I read, things have gotten only worse in Italy over the years and Beppeís Blog confirms my suspicions. Besides, we are not the same persons that left Italy many years ago. We are now much more complex individuals who have lived together with many other cultures and embraced a totally different lifestyle.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 21, 2006 12:56 AM

Eva:
Looks like that whatever is not yet screwed up it will.
We got the MoronSquad.
The S.W.A.T. of idiocy.
The Elite of Bullshitters.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 21, 2006 12:51 AM

Last week I read the book "when in Rome" by Penelope Green, I got litle bit homesick,and today I read Beppe blog, and I Just get p..off,and just remind me the reasons I do not live in Italy anymore,I think that there are lots of italians that would like to go back if things were different,but it seesms things are getting worst by the day

Posted by: evakulnurae | October 20, 2006 11:19 PM

Paola: I agree with you. And I add: every place of the world is beautiful and agreeable to live in, on condition that we feel good in there . And happiness is a very relative concept, because what make me happy could make somebody else unmoved, or unhappy at all.
Prince, you are missing Chicago but you are living in Dayton because of your job. But, because you love your job, this change is someway acceptable. Can you imagine if you were in Dayton yet, with J.R. as boss? It would be much worse! ;-)
It depends always on priorities!
:-))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 20, 2006 06:35 PM

Well, I now live in Dayton but I miss Chicago a lot.
What can I do? It's just where my job takes me..

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 20, 2006 05:58 PM

Raffa,
You are breaking my heart...:o)
You live in a beautiful city and a lot of people would gladly swap places with you (including myself...)

I think for Eric is different; He calls London "home". Obviously Italy never felt like home to him...

Adding to Nick W's post, when we have the possibily to choose a place to live, we do it according to our needs and when we find that place we disregard other faults this particular place might have.

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 20, 2006 04:56 PM

Eric, I saw your website too and I read you spent several years in Rome. I suppose you are missing Rome a little bit! As you know, our climate is wonderful, (last week-end I was on the beach), but today the sky of the Eternal City looks like the rainy London ...without all the advantages of London obviously, and with all the disadvantages you've mentioned in your post....
May be you have really done the best choice!;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 20, 2006 03:55 PM

Eric:
I saw your web site: you play blues piano with roots in white Memphis tradition.
You also look like the actual "Doctor Who"
I hope you feel better in that rainy corner of old Europe:)

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 20, 2006 03:15 PM

Exactly so Nick W.(!!)
^:))

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 20, 2006 11:01 AM

Giovanni, believe me, the last thing I want to be is right. This law however, is a travesty. Copyright is fine, if you want to copy a phrase or paragraph of something someone has written, you should obviously give credit where credit is due. However, credit should in no way equal monetary compensation. This is contrary to any concept of free speech and the people who put this law into action need a good swift kick in the palle.

Eric, while I'm sure London is a nice place (I have more than a few relatives there), you're ignoring the fact that england is turning into a police state. Cameras everywhere in public (and they want people at home to watch them and report crimes..) if you're taken into custody by the police (even for an error, or the smallest of crimes) your DNA is taken and PERMANENTLY placed in the police database (even if you're underage). They've invented rules against antisocial behavior (the ASBO) where pretty much any act deemed "antisocial" will get you arrested, and your DNA put in the database (so watch out if you plan on protesting against any more wars).

That's just to begin with. I don't hate england (I'm a british citizen) but I really dislike what the place has become.

Posted by: Nick W | October 20, 2006 10:16 AM

Eric,
That's a fine choice you made there, and I'll be the last to contradict you...:o)

However, this is outside the point.

Introducing a close to an already protected, by copyright laws, article just for profit is the point here !!
The outrageousness of this action and to legitimize such an action is the issue and against such a close should people reactÖ..
From my point of view, this is a case that should be taken to the European Court of Law and not be discussed light heartedly on a blog or between friends.
Those who have the power and the means should fight against it because the consequences will be very serious.

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 20, 2006 09:56 AM

reading all this crap happening in Italy I'm more and more convinced that 4 years I've done the best choice of my life, moving to London .
I now earn a decent living doing the job of my dreams (full time musician), managed to buy a lovely flat thanks to very little bureaucracy and affordable mortgages, even got married and became father to a baby girl for whom the State gives me the equivalent of 500 Euros a month.
Besides these personal things I'd like to add that here:
- people live with no tall iron fences around their houses or even without "serrande"
- nobody talks about tv audience or share
- the news are about facts
- the journalists are not slaves of the politicians, but their worse enemies
- nearly everybody reads books regulalry
-there's no "la gazzetta dello sport"
- all cars stop when you walk on a zebra crossings
I could go on...

cheers
Eric

Posted by: eric ranzoni | October 20, 2006 03:13 AM

These are simply impediments. We are being treated as intellectually-impaired individuals. Yet we know our rights. Why should I pay royalties if I quote in part and refer the source to the citations/quotations? Is this only internet related, or will it also extend itself to research and study? Is this the way one is trying to propose further research and backing up with sources and references? Pray, if I quote Shakespeare, do I owe him royalties???? How bloody ridiculous.

Whoever is the chicken brain behind the implementation of this law needs several electric shocks at 5,000 Volts, perhaps some common sense might go into that pea brain, who knows? Miracles do happen sometimes, but I have my doubts if they are admissible to politicians and their henchmen.

Once more, I still think this is a manoeuvre to silence those who are politically free. It's like stifling the voice of freedom and blaming it on the weather. As always, only fools wander where angels fear to tread.

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | October 20, 2006 12:30 AM

I don's see why a special close had to be inserted in the already existing law, if the material of the "riviste" and "giornali" is already prodected by the "Copyright law"..???

Something fishy is happening here...!!!

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 20, 2006 12:24 AM

This law is bullshit.
They don't want to accept that the web has changed the whole world of informatione and communication.
According to this law, if I reproduce on my blog (copy and paste)part of an article published on newspaper or magazine, mentioning the sources and the author, I should pay royalties to them.
It's unacceptable and also without sense.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 19, 2006 11:19 PM

Nick W: I read your comment and I have to say that you are right: I did not think in this way and at this point I have to embrace your view.

Another question: if I remember well, the Italian Constitution in few words must make sure that education and culture must reach everybody, no matter what their social position. A law like this in a certain way goes against this principle because whoever cannot pay for information in order to pass it on, is barred from it and consequently cuts off a portion of Italian Citizens that have right to it.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 19, 2006 10:51 PM

In today's ME ONLY society everything must have a price. Money is the standard against which all must be measured. So, why not include BS journalism to the list?

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 19, 2006 09:33 PM

Hello everyone.

Isn't interesting that a law approved under the fascist government, is being reiterated by the leftist coalition in charge of governing Italy?

Since when reporting news on a newspaper or magazine, has become intellectual property? Does it take a superior mind or a rocket scientist to write down what happened to whom, where and when? Repeat what John or Jane Doe has said?

Maybe is the capacity to spin a story, following the editor will, that needs to be protected with copy-rights. Or, maybe, the bunch of baloney you may see in some newspapers/magazines that needs not to be reported on other media outlets. Who wants to pay for reporting baloney, anyway?

Posted by: Giovanni Moretti Senzitalia | October 19, 2006 08:52 PM

Hello and welcome to Italy wonderland, it is my perception that this Country can no longer afford this kind of Politians (Polititians because they practice Politics without a any clues). I am ashamed and to my knowledge I have never seen a Politicians here in Italy to mention the word Responsibility. I am wondering what kind of responsibility a Politician has in regard to his/her choices and laws he/she votes for. When I am hired by a Company usually I get assigned a job that will be reviewed by the Customer and the Company itself, and if deemed insufficient and not sutisfied with the result I usually get fired. Now getting back to these Politicians when is their Motus Operandi reviewed and by whom? The only thing they are good for is the insane amount of money they get every month for the highly incompetent job they do with the incredible arrogance of running again for re-election the next chance they get. Is this system screwed up some how? If I get fired from a job I seriously doubt they would hire me again for the next open position they have why would this not be applicable to this buffoons. I rest my case either Italy deserve the Politicians they deserve or they willing to accept or raise up and complain very loudly.
Hope someone get the message lets send these incompetents home and make sure the next election they can't run again and by the way Direct Voting by Name and Position would be very nice although I have some doubt they will vote themself out of the money supply.
Thanks and highly appreciated the opportunity of expressing my feeling.

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | October 19, 2006 06:27 PM

Giovanni, this is exactly the opposite of what you say. Certainly, I'm sure people who share the opinion of the editors will be able to obtain the right to copy for a few euro cents.. but those ooposed to them, I doubt they could trade anything less than their children to do so.

The s**t poured might be reduced, but it's also being concentrated.

Yet another way to silence critics.

"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes" . - Mark Twain

Posted by: Nick W | October 19, 2006 04:19 PM

As from the red light in Italy, something like this happened the day before yesterday in the subway of Rome. Two trains collidet probably because one of the two driver saw the red light "not so red" (a so-called permissive red): 1 dead and 235 injured persons.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 19, 2006 04:01 PM

Dear Grillo, I am not surprised about it. This is Italy-this is the new Italian political wave. You are one of the symbols of the Italian politic, so keep it on and do not make self critic. How we do say in Italian: che rottura di palle.
Dosvidanya.

Posted by: Italiano Estero | October 19, 2006 03:18 PM

Dear Beppe, If i understand, this is your Party,you should go to the Premier,(is your friend,i assume)and ask to remove this law,i'm sure they will listen to you!

cordially,

vince.

P.S. Only in Italy.......!!!!!!!

Posted by: vincenzo crescenzi | October 19, 2006 03:03 PM

Nick W:
In Italy "Partially" means running your train through the red light because, as you know, the red light is not so red when you pass it.

Concerning this rule, is a little bit coercive but it limits the amount of s..t poured over Italian minds.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 19, 2006 02:02 PM

Scary indeed... that way liars can thrive as much as they will. This absurdity tantamounts to the deprivation of freedom of speech and expression AND the right to defend oneself if needs be.

Which is why according to Amnesty International, Italy IS NOT A FREE COUNTRY.

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | October 19, 2006 01:01 PM

Now I read it again, they say partially.. that is scary. Even a single phrase.. wow.

Posted by: Nick W | October 19, 2006 11:56 AM

An interesting proposal, certainly, not being able to copy what they've written is no big deal, does this include partial citations, or just the entire article?

Because calling a liar on his words will certainly be more difficult if he doesn't allow you to repeat them, and possible paraphrasing may open you up to libel charges..

Posted by: Nick W | October 19, 2006 11:17 AM