RESET

RESET.jpg
photo by Kokeshi

We need to do RESET. To print T shirts saying RESET. To get a RESET tattoo. To telephone the fiancée and say: “Today I’m teaching you a new position: RESET.” Turn off your grandpa’s TV and shout in his ear: “RESEEETT!”.
Start from the beginning. It’s not possible to live with the sure knowledge of moving towards the catastrophe, even with optimism. The country is off the rails. The Partito Democratico that they want to create is already in existence. And is called dsmargheritaforzaitalia. It’s everywhere. It’s the straightjacket of the country.
The solution is not a new leader, a new party.
This democracy with a hole in the middle has failed. The Stato Unitario {unified State} after 150 years seems like a bit of old iron. A spouse that you live with and you no longer know why. It’s necessary to start with patience from the fundamentals. From the behaviour of individuals.
From enforcing the respect of our rights. Of water, of energy, of rubbish, of connectivity, of transport. It’s not known what use are the Authorities and the Guarantors. The politicians are worse than lumps of cement to block vehicles. To the public official who doesn’t do his job, we’ll shout “RESET-RESET-RESET”.
To those who want us to digest the rubbish of the pardon, we’ll shout: “RESET”. Directly in their stupid festivals. In their email. To those who want to hand over the natural monopolies into the hands of the loan sharks, let’s send them a “RESET”.
This Parliament is not the mirror of the country, these industries are not the mirror of those who manage them. Enough of paying millions in golden handshakes to incapables while the precarious ones don’t manage to get to the end of the month. Cimoli is still there?
The country is getting angry. I can feel it.
And the more the anger grows, there’s talk of a reformist spirit and the rights of the tax dodgers. Each one finds their own space to say “RESET”, every day, each day, until they are finished off, to once more find our country that they are carrying away from us.
In this blog, the people who write from abroad or who want to emigrate are becoming ever more numerous. But are we joking? Let them go abroad, the top names of the auto-referenced democracy. The initiatives to do RESET I can’t go and invent them on my own. Give me a hand. Write down yours, we’ll vote on them and then we’ll try them out.

Comments

Reset, è ora di dirlo forte!

www.reset.netsons.org

Posted by: RESET ITALIA | May 24, 2007 04:46 PM

MY RESET PART III
-Electric or hydrogen fuelled public transports, cycling routes everywhere.
-parks and public places for people to enjoy, with games for kids and adults, paths for skating and rollerblades (look what they did in barcelona for christ sake!!!!)

Life is not easy and we all know it. Citizens should put their skills and qualities into their jobs, because they live in a community and a community needs to produce all sort of goods to sustain itself and they pay taxes not because it's fancy, or because they owe something to an authority but to get services from the government that represents them and which would possibly, make they're life as easy and comfortable as possible. If a government fails this then the citizens should dismiss it. Once and for all. Which means to never see those stupid, arrogant, ignorant, worthless faces ever EVER AGAIN!!!!

THAT'S MY RESET BEPPE. DO YOU HAVE ANY ANSWERS?

Posted by: raul ciannella | October 30, 2006 03:16 AM

MY RESET PART II
- I acknoledge that this variety could also be a problem in terms of managing the country. So why doesn't the goverment let the Regions (a smaller, more controllable goverment, closer to its reality) manage themselves. Why should the people pay taxes to one central place and this central place then redistribute it back to the regions? It doesn't make sense!

- There are millions of little villages and small towns in Italy. They should be the centre of interest, the engines which propels our progress, but instead, most of them are abandoned to rot and fester, lots of them seem to have stopped living 50 years ago.

- A good goverment should understand that the south has the resources both climatic and geographic to be a laboratory for alternative energy sources. Investing in the south as a virgin territory for new technologies would mean taking a graveyard and turning it into a farm. More jobs, more enthusiasm, a new renaissance that would irradiate the whole country.

- The educational system has to be revised completely. I would pulverize most of the schools and build them from scratch and while buinding them build a new system that actually educates kids instead of turning them into preprogrammed androids.
Give them the opportunity to practice more sports, more art, music, cinema, theatre alongside with languages, computer and hystory.

- Don't you think that if someone lives in the trash has a lot more chances to create trash? let's get rid of all the suburbs, those sad, ugly inhumane blocks of concrete where u squeeze families in. Let's build decent, dignified houses, obligatorily designed with technologies that allow to save energy, recycle materials, with a lot of green around so that kids can play, with underground parking, with facilities for the disabled, so that everyone can enjoy the space.

Posted by: RAul ciannella | October 30, 2006 03:14 AM

MY RESET!!!!!!! PART I

Hi Beppe,

I'm writing from Dublin where I've been living on and off for the past 10 years. I tried many times to come back to Italy but I saw it sinking deeper and deeper every day. I just get a grip in my stomach, a grip of rage and disgust. I met tons of Italians who left the country, who have a degree but feel better off working as waiters here or in other countries rather than go back to that scum. I would like to do something but I feel powerless. We deluded ourselves for years, that we were living in democracy, but what is democracy? Plato considered it just a degree better than tiranny and I start to agree with him.
There are no adjustments that will make Italy better, the only solution is to start from scratch. Remove all the scum and start it all over again. But how? It seems such a Utopy.

- I would like to get rid of all political parties. They've lost their meaning. They are out of this world, all they can see is their own image reflected and distorted against another political party.

- A governement should be an institution acting to constantly better the life quality of the citizens it represents as much as it possibly can. It should analyze the potentials and the problems of its country and put all its possible efforts to solve those problems and exploit the potentials.

- Italy is a wonderful mixture of culture and geographical variety, it could self sustain with turism only if there was a plan...where is the plan?
A plan to exploit our cultural inheritage lying even in the smallest of village. I don't understand why the Irish attract millions of turists every year to kiss a f..ing "rock" and we let our art decay so miserably.
A plan to value the 1000s of kilometres of coasts, the mountains, the hills, the lakes, the forests, the natural parks.

Posted by: raul ciannella | October 30, 2006 03:11 AM

Yes, it could be my motto! ;-)))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 26, 2006 07:53 PM

GONE, GONE, GONE is a song written by George Gershwin for his "Porgy and Bess".
Could be our next motto.

(The best version of this song is played by Miles Davis and Gil Evans)

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 26, 2006 02:17 PM

Right, Eva!
We are very far from this objective!
I've never been in Australia, but I heard many people coming back from there, and all of them said that it's a good place to live!
:-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 26, 2006 11:26 AM

Dear Beppe,Mr Carl Scully is gone,you wonder who Mr.Scully is? Mr. Scully untill yesterday was the police Minister of the state of New South Wales in Australia,Mr.Scully has been sacked for misleading parliament and the comunity,(www.smh.com.au)this is the front page news of the Sydney Morning Herald and in all the tv news,I would love all the italians to hear this,this is democracy,if they are not up to the job,GONE,GONE GONE,the public pay tax and the minister wages,transparency,honesty,integrity is just normal here in Australia ,and this is what the australian people aspect from their governments,good luck to you all still there,ciao

Posted by: evakulnura | October 26, 2006 09:35 AM

Now we got three different spelling for the same profession, including Giovanni's intentionally funny rendition. I think I'll stick with psychologist.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 26, 2006 06:05 AM

Enrico: Never argue with a psychologist, and with a pissicologgist much less!
Thre is only one pissicolgist in the world: me! The other ones are pshychologists! ;-))))))))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 26, 2006 12:18 AM

Enrico:
I'm so old because I was born in 1965!

So, the new motto could be: "Li ho fregati!"

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 25, 2006 10:39 PM

Giovanni: don't eat too much cake!!! How can you be so old? ;-)
I still think the motto "Li ho fregati!" should be emblazoned on the Italian Coats of Arms.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 25, 2006 10:30 PM

Enrico: Never argue with a pissicologgist.

Raf: Thank you-Thank you-Thank you!

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 25, 2006 10:19 PM

Enrico: that's not RESPECT but only acquiescence, submission.
Strong to the weak, and weak to the strongs, that is the average italian, they don't respect themselves, they behave like a robot, without to dwell on the reasons of their behavior, just because they wanna be cleverer than the others.
They don't understand that in this way the whole country is going go to rack and ruin, and even their little, meaningless life will share the same lot.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 25, 2006 09:30 PM

Raffaella and Giovanni, put the RESPECT theory in the wishful thinking box. The only RESPECT Italians understand is for themselves, their families and the
influential people who recommended them to become imboscati in some cushy job. The motto "Li ho fregati!" still reigns supreme.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 25, 2006 08:23 PM

Prince: I like your suggestion: instead RESET-RESET RESET, to say RESPECT-RESPECT-RESPECT.
We italians must learn to respct ourselves and the others ( they are the two sides of a same matter, if you don't respect yoursef you can't respect other people and vice versa).
Italian people nowadays must still learn the RESPECT. It's a long process and it's getting through the acquisition of more awareness of the advantages to be respectful and correct.

PS) I know you are just turned 41. I sent you my wishes by all known media... but I send it again now:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday Mr. Prince, happy birthday to YOU!
;-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 25, 2006 08:09 PM

Hallo Beppe, hallo to everyone,
I’m 26 and I'm in Finland for my PhD. Here I can see my colleagues: they have my same age and don’t live with parents anymore, they can work, make babies, PLAN THE FUTURE! The life is not always easy, but THEY CAN SEE SOMETHING IN FRONT OF THEM!
If I think that in December I have to (but to be precise: I MUST) come back to Italy.. I fell so depressed!!!! :’(

Posted by: Laura Pantaleoni | October 25, 2006 07:32 PM

Ciao Beppe

As I said before, it's more than 12 years that I live in USA and every time I look back, I'm happy I did this.
I'm getting the chance to use my skills and my professionality for the good of the company I work for and for myself.
Here I got more self confident and, despite my age (I'm now 41) I can still feel the pleasure of finding another job if I want, without feeling obsolete or useless.
Here in US I can get more action and more money for what I'm worth and only because first I care and second I love my job; of course I complain about stuff I don't like because a perfect nation doesn't exist but I always try to be happy and to keep all the negative things below a certain line.
This line cannot exist in Italy because of the negative aspects that I escaped from and I also try to feel the despair that my fellow Italians still living in the country are feeling.
It's not right.
In Italy all is becoming confused: the people are confused and the institutions as well.
Sometimes I think to go back but I always stop because for me would be like wasting all what I gathered in all those years abroad, it would be like giving gold to the pigs and I really don't want to do that because I would feel like a lost chance for my nation, something snuffed out by some idiot that is there because is friend or relative of some big shot and which doesn't care about either the outcome of his actions and the people that he is damaging.
My future is important and I will not have it ruined by those idiots.

My suggestion to you is to begin from the lower level where you can still talk to the ordinary people without screens and for everybody to show self respect and to begin to recognize their own identity as families, lovers, fathers, mothers, mentors, workers, judges and so on.

The government must realise that is governing a conscious nation and not a nation of passive elements.

Italian people deserves better but they also have to learn to move their ass and learn to respect.

To your motto: "RESET-RESET-RESET"

I would add a simple modification: "resPeCt-resPeCt-resPeCt"!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 25, 2006 06:53 PM

Dear Beppe,
I left Sardinia three years ago, after having worked fourteen years as a SEN Teacher for blind children with a CO.CO.CO contract. I was underpaid, working extra hours (the contracted hours were not enough to satisfied children needs), without any kind of career improvement and have to "beg" monthly to get my cheque (it has happened to be waiting for three to six months before to be able to get it....).
Now I live in Cambridge, and in the process of complete my studies at University and hopefully next year I will start teaching in a Special School for Visually Impaired Children.
My own country failed in giving me the chances to both realise myself and dedicate my vocation to children in needs as I had planned since I was a teenager. My passion, my qualifications and my love for children were nothing without knowing "the right person".
UK, gave me another chance. Here to be 43 years old as I am, is not an issue. What is relevant is "who you are" and not "who you know". This should be applied as a commandment in my own country.
Cristina

Posted by: Maria-Cristina Piras | October 25, 2006 04:37 PM

"lumps of cement to block vehicles"...

Is the translation for the italian:

"mattoni autobloccanti"

O my goooooood!!! è uno scherzo???

Posted by: Max Palazzi | October 25, 2006 01:22 PM

Caro Beppe,
History shows that Italian people is great in building up from nothing. Maybe the real problem is that there is still something, so Italians think it's still not the time to start do something.
Maybe the solution is to help in some way the final collapse of Italy, so people finally will open eyes and start doing. There is too many people that think and does nothing but complaining himself.
Life is too short to waste time in this way.

Posted by: Umberto Uderzo | October 25, 2006 10:46 AM

There is a need to rieducate the italians,television would be the best approch,instead of waching "the bold and the beautifull" have show that show how different country life, what's works in the world and what doesn't work,learn fron other country mistakes,it all come down on getting good information instead of the daily crap that the italians get trought pay tv anf goverment tv,there is a need to break the spell the italians have been under from, at least the last 30 years,I dread the next election,who am I going to vote ? besade Mr Di Pietro no many ministers worth of my vote,unless Beppe decide to get into politics,and God help him! we need fresh air,and a good spring cleaning,ciao

Posted by: evakulnura | October 25, 2006 08:34 AM

I think polical motivations around the world are pretty much the same. However, if you want to really speak about change (social, economic, political), you really have to talk about *money* - where it comes *from*, who it flows *to*, and *why*. Money is not of any use to society if it's not *moving*.

So how do you keep it moving? Or, at least, introduce more of it to jumpstart a "re-movement"? I think one possibility may be stressing more "e-commerce". The internet will ligitimize transactions, open more of Italy up to a worldwide market (and it would be a big market), put the trust in computers to validate transactions and flow the money to it's proper destination (and computers do this well), drive the cost for internet access down and make it more widespread (once businesses see the value of it as a revenue generator, they will be the ones stressing it's value, and when money talks, people listen). Once businesses get behind it, the rest will fall into place, because it won't have a choice. The rest of it is up to Italy. And, I am certainly no expert on Italy.

But be careful - it's important that Italy doesn't lose it's identity or it's character and/or what makes it significant and special.

Posted by: Charles Terenzio | October 25, 2006 03:31 AM

I read all yours comments, I find many realy things about Italy and its shame politicians.
We can write hours to blame and disappoint italian system.
Your are very lucky to had life in countries better managed, but what can you suggest?
Beppe (and italian people)in this post asks for ideas and suggestion?
Please, if you can help us, go on!

Thanks

Posted by: Raffaele Alboni | October 24, 2006 11:32 PM

The state of the state is not a good one. Italian politicians should just break in to their constituents homes and rob them... because that is exactly what they are doing. But because they don't have to pry open a window or break down a door people may not see it as stealing.

An Italian politican earns more than eight times what the average constituent brings home AND that doesn't count all their perks, freebies and 'golden handshake' deals. While they count their money the working class... well, WORKS- and if they are lucky they make it to the end of the month with enough money to eat. And they call this a socialist government?

While Italians have one of the lowest monthly salaries in the EU, the Italian politicians are not only laughing their way to the bank, they are taking leer jets, helicopters or a Mercedes S Class to get to the bank (transportation is of course, gratis for the politically blessed).

P.S. There are DOUBLE the representatives in the Italian camera than there are in the entire U.S. Congress. So, the reps not only make MORE money... but there are also TOO DARNED MANY OF THEM.

I know a single mother who is struggling to make ends meet, but has to pay for window treatments for her daughters school so that the children can read without the glare of the sun in their eyes. I know a 73 year old man whose hip replacement surgery was postponed because the hospital ran out of prosthetic hips.

When a government doesn't have money for curtains for their public schools or supplies for their hospitals... should their employees get to enjoy the lap of luxury?

There needs to be accountability. There needs to be a change. There needs to be a revolution.

So, where do we push the reset button?

Posted by: Kissy Dugan | October 24, 2006 06:50 PM

I left Italy three years ago.

I had a job that allowed me to travel around the globe, talk to locals, work with locals, know the foreign country a little bit.
That's when I opened my eyes, that's when I realized how bad Italy is. I knew that, but facing different countries lyfestyle every month and comparing them to my homecountry was too much of a burden and I left !!
You will never realize how INSULTING is the italian political crowd 'till you experience the Outside.
That's why Italians will never wake up , they have to rely on corrupted media to know what's out there ....

Out there there is no Even, but you guys are really in Hell !!

Good luck to everybody still living there.

Posted by: Edmondo D. | October 24, 2006 05:58 PM

I,ve had an idea. Why don,t we offer the running
of the Italian state to the Swiss or to the Austrians on a 50 years contract? after all they
would probably cherish the challenge and it would
also give them access to something they lack:
the sea, good food and good wine.
Just a thought.
ciao

Posted by: vanni zanella | October 24, 2006 05:11 PM

This is the reason I left Italy for good! I couldn't find the RESET button. If it only were this simple... It will take many generations and the Country financial collapse for things to start turning around. In the meantime Italians will carry on with the usual raccomandazioni, bustarelle, nepotism, business shenanigans, mafia, bureaucratic nightmares and the perennial motto "Li ho fregati!".
You are right Beppe, we ex-Italians are going to stay put in our new Countries.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 24, 2006 04:40 PM

Ritchie Tomadin I'm defenitely agree with you... i'm italian and is 2 years not that i'm living in england... and here is another planet really... everything here is more easier, to rent or buy a house, to connect internet, to pay bills, to have benefits, government here use to help people to live...and not just stealing money as in Italy...

one example for everything... you need to know how apply for benefit, how to rent a house, how to bring ur kids at school...well the government has a website with all ...saying ALL the information u required...and most of your things can be sort out via internet....

in Italy as u said...is just bureaucracy...and endless queues everywhere...

I'm happy to be here... but sad my country is wasted and killed day by day...

gianni

Posted by: gianni bianchini | October 24, 2006 02:22 PM

RESET OUR MINDS!
This the only way to change something.
Let's start using our head, and let's start teaching our children doing the same.
The real revolution begins in our minds, in our behavior.
Let's stop to take everything for granted and to think in clichès. Nothing is granted, but everything must go through our free critical attitude.
Let's start changing our behavior, in everyday life, don't take up wrong attitudes, like trying to outmanoeuvre other people, or to attach too much importance to the material values, let's get out of the typical italian habits, like cutting in line, run the red light, using , polluting substances and products, wasting water and energies, or looking for powerful friends.
Through our good example we'll form the political class of tomorrow: our children.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 24, 2006 01:42 PM

Caro Beppe,
I want to show you something real interesting: "[...]Citizenship is not a right nor a privilege nor a duty, but an activity to be exercised every moment of the time. Democracy does not exist unless each man is doing his part fully every minute, unless every one is taking his share in building the state-to-be..."
and then: "[...] We have not yet tried democracy. Party or "interests" govern us with some fiction of the "consent of the governed" which we say means democracy. We have not even a conception of what democracy means. That conception is
yet to be forged out of the crude ore of life.
We talk about the tragedy of individualism. The individual we do not yet know, for we have no methods to release the powers of them individual. Our particularism--our *laissez-faire*, our every-man-for-his-own-interests- has little to do with true individualism, that is, with the individual as consciously responsible for the life from which he draws his breath and to which he contributes his all.
Politics do not need to be "purified." (magari nel caso italiano sì...) This thought is leading us astray. Politics must be vitalized by a new method. "Representative government," party organization, majority rule, with all their excrescences, are dead-wood. In their stead must
appear the organization of non-partisan groups for the begetting, the bringing into being, of common ideas, a common purpose and a collective will.
Government by the people must be more than the phrase..."
Is not it sharp? Is not it actual?
This text come from "The New State" and Mary Parker Follett is the author. It was written in 1918!!!(http://sunsite.utk.edu/FINS/Mary_Parker_Follett/Fins-MPF-01.html)
we have to think about it... some years after a war started...
Hi!

Posted by: Walter Scandurra | October 24, 2006 01:02 PM

Caro Beppe,
yet to be forged out of the crude ore of life.
Government by the people must be more than the phrase..."
Is not it sharp? Is not it actual?
we have to think about it... some years after a war started...
Hi!

Posted by: Walter Scandurra | October 24, 2006 01:02 PM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe......
Well I don't want to start like that! Blade Runner Docet!
I have been away from il Bel Paese for 13 years.
I've been living in UK during this time. I feel one of them by now. I proudly retain my national origin and language but I have got used to this lifestyle.
I constantly tried to explain to my friends in Italy how bad the country looks from the outside. How sad and insignificant looks what is trying to do to re-emerge from the rubble left by all these decades of bad management. Nobody believes me. Nobody understand. When you live inside a rotten apple you probably don't see how rotten it is, I suppose.
Never mind. One day they'll wake up and see. I hope.
Life is tough everywhere. The paradise on Earth doesn't exist but it is difficult to understand why the politician of the country you live in are making everything to worsen your life instead of making it a bit easier and better.
Italy deserve to Reset. It must Reset.
It will implode if it keeps going like it is.
My wife and I recently decided to do our first move onto the italian property ladder. I won't tell you the indifference and unprofessionality we discovered in the Estate Agents world of the Bel Paese. Months later we stumbled on a property and then on one obstacle after another. Burocracy seems to be the password. Burocracy is eating out our savings. Incompetence is not an exception.
Italy is driving downhill and fast towards selfdistruction. People are fed up but they don't seem to do much to change. Blah, blah, blah is what they seem to do. I wish I was wrong.
Friends in Italy are telling me not to come back.
Friends in UK are asking me if we have gone crazy.
What a mess.
It really looks like a 3rd World country.
Will we ever see the end of the tunnel?

Ritchie Tomadin

Posted by: RitchieTomadin | October 24, 2006 12:41 PM

Ciao Beppe,
congratulations for what you're doing, last night I watched your Incantesimi DVD,(which I bought from Spain), because I'm a fan of you and also to help somehow even from remote location.
I've been living abroad for about 11 years now, in different countries and more the time goes more I think I'll never be back living in Italy.
I never accepted the logic of clientelismo and going abroad I discovered there are places where if you deserve a chance you get a chance of developing yourself. It's amazing what politicians are doing in Italy, they don't represent anyone, they only autorepresent themselves tho sadly I have to say we let them do this and we don't seems to do much to change it. I hope people in Italy will change, we'll understand what's really matter and we start kicking some ass, if some help is needed I'm willing to help from Spain.
Please don't make me decide again, during next elections,(per l'ennesima volta), se votare l'ultra settantenne Prodi o Berlusconi.

Ciao, Nicola.