The big democratic list

listone.jpg

No one has elected the people who are sitting in Parliament. They are usurpers. The electoral law brought in by the Centre Right to win elections has prevented Italian citizens from choosing their own candidates.

Thus no member of the Lower or Upper House can say they have been elected by the people. They can however state that they were chosen by a party. They are employees of their party and not of the Italians. And until the time they switch allegiance they speak and act appropriately in the name of their party. In fact an illegitimate parliamentarian can choose to practice illegitimacy even in other parties. It depends who will pay them more. The professions of these illegitimates are more or less always the same, at times they can be interchanged and even summed: lawyers, former trades unionists, journalists, convicts.
The latter, though it isn't actually a profession but an add-on, is anyway a great help in being selected by the party secretaries.
The Centre Left said that it wanted to change the electoral law straight away. But it has done nothing because that's convenient. However the parties have brought in the 'parliamentary class action' that they look after.
At the level of the people this is not yet (and never will be) allowed, but at a parliamentary level it is. Right and Left. It makes no difference.

Faced with a 'parliamentary class action' everyone is equal because it can be used to protect their backsides from the citizens and the magistrates. The pardon and the intercept laws have found a consensus from the parties that Ms Merkel and her Grosse Koalition wouldn't even dream about. Backside-protecting-laws.
The primacy of politics has been transformed into the primacy of the parties. A papier mâchè democracy that spends its time making laws that protect itself, puts me vaguely in mind of a dictatorship.
A sweet dictatorship in which the citizens can get angry, can protest. Perhaps even come out onto the streets for a great coach ride with the trades unions or paid for by the parties. Nothing more. We've got a carnival democracy.

The electoral law prevents us from using our legitimate rights. If the Government doesn't change, the Government itself is illegitimate.

Comments

Scrivi in italiano, ma se non sei fiero di esserlo mi vergogno di aver aperto il tuo sito grazie al corriere

Posted by: marchetti roberto | October 10, 2006 08:17 PM

Democracy is the tyranny of the majority, so I heard someone say once. The problem is that the majority rarely seems to know better and minorities are treated like shit. Even when you look at coalitions, small parties are treated like third or fourth class citizens. This explains why some politicians are merely demagogues, mythomaniacs and empty vessels with a lot of sound.

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | October 7, 2006 04:20 PM

Democracy has a major fault. The majority decide. And the majority rarely makes the right decision.

When you're sick, do you seek the most competent doctor? Or do you seek the remedy that most people recommend??

In democracy, the method employed is the second. It should be called DEMO-CRAZY.

So, either the majority of the people are doctors--or know enough about it to know who is a doctor. Or the wrong decision is the likely result.

In Italy no one seems to have a clue. And the result is that Italy is a sick patient. Getting ready to pass away... painfully.

This is a good case where euthanasia would be advissable.

Posted by: David Cohen | October 4, 2006 01:56 AM

I would agree with Joselle's comment and probability numbers.
If we accept that for some special "professions" you need special skills, then becoming a politician definitely requires them. We have yet to see a new generation of gifted politicians....

David,
That's an interesting site, I hope young people who write their dreams there won't get dissapointed from reality of life...:o)

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 3, 2006 11:39 AM

If we are looking for completely honest politician, I mean a fearless, blameless knight, we'll be 100% disappointed. It's impossible because to become politician you must get trough many compromises, and if you are 100% honest you couldn't accept all of them, you will be forced to give up your political career and do something else.
When I said, I want to hope that at least ONE good politician may exists, I mean an accettable one, not "the honesty itself" .
:-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 3, 2006 11:12 AM

I want to escape from italy!!!

Take a look at this blog:

WWW.LETSPLIT.COM

and post your thoughts !!!

Posted by: david | October 3, 2006 10:31 AM

Often, when voting, at least from my voting experience, you look at a person's track record for getting things done, for honesty, integrity and, above all, for not being merely a cog in a party's wheel.

Now, some politicians can be really rancid, others less, other might even be honest, why not? [I've got my binoculars just in case I see one passing by.] The probability on how quickly a politician can become corrupt is probably 2:1 against the 20:1 that he/she remains clean, honest and uncorruptable.

Perhaps we might draw up a list of "genuine" people involved in politics... it could be just a little jolly band like Robin Hood and his merry men, but what the heck! Better ONE than NONE.

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | October 3, 2006 09:46 AM

Scusa...Out of line... :o)))

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 3, 2006 01:53 AM

Paola: ;-)))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 3, 2006 01:44 AM

So Raffa, maybe we are going to find the right politician and realize it later,(!!!)
because I am sure there is no right man for me otherwise why go on living or voting for that matter....:o))))

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 3, 2006 01:38 AM

Paola, I don't know if there is only ONE man, but I was looking for him my life long, I met many men and I was very happy with all of them, but when I met THIS man (3 years ago) I was sure, He was the man I was looking for.
Sometimes the life is funny, when we find something we are not able to mantain it.
Let's hope for the future!
;-)))))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 3, 2006 01:23 AM

Raffa,
Not ALL politician are crooked but you might NOT see one in you life time...

AND

If you allow me (although you are the expert in this field of psychology) there is NOT ONE RIGHT MAN nor WOMAN in the world for us because we only live one life and only in very limited surroundings...

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 3, 2006 01:05 AM

May be we can try with positive attitude, giving up to be AGAINST something (or everything)and starting to be FOR something.
I want to bring an example of my private life: I'm a very selective woman, I'm not content with little but I'm looking for THE BEST. In my life I met many men, but only once I met the RIGHT man. Unfortunately, it didn't work, but yet I know that this man is not only a dream in my mind. May be I will stay alone for the rest of my life, but I know that at least ONE man in the world was the right one.
Like that, if the most politicians are crooked, it doesn't mean that ALL politician must be crooked.
At least one of them must be different. Hope is the last to die.
:-)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 3, 2006 12:58 AM

Do you have something in mind Prince??
Because unfortunately I don't, except than voting every time for the less miserable of them all and praying not to fail my expectations at least this once....

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 3, 2006 12:58 AM

What can we do to reverse this seemingly irreversible process of self-induced democratic obsolescence?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 3, 2006 12:00 AM

True Giovanni... a very bitter-sweet pill indeed!

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | October 2, 2006 10:27 PM

Joselle:

"Honest Politician" is an Oxymoron.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | October 2, 2006 09:27 PM

Sometimes I don't agree at all with the tenor your's posts, Beppe!
I can criticize the Prodi-Governemnt because of many reasons, not least because of the break of engagement about interest conflict, or even the electoral law, but I wouldn't define the government as "illegitimate"
You know, it's always the same old story: we can't level accusations indiscriminately, it sound populist and demagogic.
Berlsuconi Governemnt was illegitimate, beacasue of interest conflict. This governemnt may be wrong, may be it doesn't work as exepcted, but is not illegitimate.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | October 2, 2006 07:59 PM

It's very much like jumping into the fire from the frying pan. The problem is that, as Enrico and Paola say, honest politicians do not mushroom because honesty and integrity does not pay at all. If you vote for the candidate who is the same one chosen by the Party - [I am sure they screen them to see who is the "best" in THEIR interests, not the voters'!!] - chances remain as grim as ever.

It's time to REVOLT against these revolting characters though, I am sure, for many it is the usual "coraggio, fuggiamo!" Many Italians can't be bothered; they discuss, argue, demonstrate, come out in the streets with placards and big words but, at the end of the day, they feel better at home with their wine, pasta, TV and coffee. I cannot blame them much. The more you change, the more you get the same thing. It's a vicious circle.

Posted by: Joselle Camilleri | October 2, 2006 06:14 PM

"Even if we were to vote directly for each individual politician separately, we would have nothing other than chaos and more indulti..."
But at least you could remove them from Office by voting for a person like DiPietro. However you are correct that right now the choices are pretty grim.
These corrupt sycophants have even invented a meaningless political language to bamboozle the voters into thinking they know what they are talking about. No foreign politician would be allowed to speak in such a horribly convoluted language.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 2, 2006 05:03 PM

A Political Party consists of persons who will put into practice the ideas of the party you choose to vote for; so in effects you vote persons not only Party.
The real problem nowadays does not lie on the electoral laws of each country but on the character of today's politicians....!!!
Most of today's politicians, have no integrity, no ethics.For them politics is a "mestiere" like any other, not a function.
It pays money (dirty or clean) it makes no difference where it comes from.
Even if we were to vote directly for each individual politician separately, we would have nothing other than chaos and more indulti...:o(((

Posted by: paola filinesi | October 2, 2006 04:35 PM

Beppe, you are pointing out the number one problem with the Italian political system. You vote for a Party, not a person that will represent you. This allows the Party to advance people who are willing to play the power game they prefer. The honest politicians are quickly removed to be replaced by the unscrupulous, corrupt and pliable ones. Unless this changes Italy will remain a third world Country.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | October 2, 2006 03:46 PM