Gomorra

Gomorra.jpg

Roberto Saviano has sent me a copy of his book: ‘Gomorra’ with a few words for me inside it. Reading it made me think of Pasolini. I’m thinking that Roberto is a courageous young man to be protected. Roberto has written a book that should be obligatory in the schools. A book that represents Italy today and that should be read in class in place of ‘Cuore’ by Edmondo De Amicis. Young people in Naples work on projects for the Camorra. They are cocopro {on short-term contracts} in the black economy. They are lost generations. They are the starting point to save Naples.

“They are signed up as soon as they are able to be faithful to the clan. Aged from 12 to 17 years old, many are sons and brothers of members, many others come from families of precarious workers. They are the new army of the clans of the Neapolitan Camorra.
They come from the historic centre, from the zones of Sanità, Forcella, Secondigliano, rione San Gaetano, Quartieri Spagnoli, Pallonetto and are recruited by affiliations structured into different clans.
Their number is a real army. There are multiple advantages for the clans. A really young person gets half the salary of an adult member on the lowest grade, and rarely has to support their parents, they don’t have the encumbrance of a family, no hours to keep, no need for a regular salary and above all they are willing to be constantly on the streets.
The roles are diverse and have different responsibilities. They start with the sale of soft drugs, mainly hashish. Almost always the young person is positioned in the most crowded streets. In time they start to sell pills and they almost always get to use a motor cycle.
Finally, cocaine that is taken directly into the universities, outside the bars, in front of the hotels, at the metro stations. The groups of baby-vendors are basically in the flexible sales economy because they are less visible, they sell drugs in between playing football or having a ride on the motor cycle and often they go directly to the home of the client.
Very often the clan doesn’t oblige the youngsters to work in the morning, in fact they continue to go to school, even because if they miss school it’s easier to locate them.
Often the really young members after the first few months of work, go around carrying weapons. A way of defending themselves and to give them status. A field promotion that promises them the possibility to rise in the ranks of the clan. Automatic and semi-automatic pistols that they learn to use on the rubbish tips of the province and in the underground caves of Naples.
When they become trustworthy and they have the total trust of the boss of the zone, then they can take on a role that is well beyond that of pusher. They become ‘pali’ {look-outs}.
In a city street assigned to them, they check that the lorries coming in to unload merchandise to the supermarkets, shops or salumerie, are the ones set up by the clan, or if they are not, they indicate when the distributor to a shop is not one of the “chosen” ones.
Even in the building sites, the presence of the ‘pali’ is fundamental. The contractors often sub-contract to building companies of the Camorra groups. But at times the work is entrusted to companies that are “not advisable”.
From ‘Gomorra’ by Roberto Saviano

Comments

hallo !! I am a great fan of saviano. do you know if it is possibel to write to him?
His book is really great better in italian to read than in german and i think he is a spezial man......very brave and couragious......my compliment!! I am happy that there is already a new book from him. nIce greetings from Austria

Posted by: lingitz helga | February 5, 2009 01:44 PM

Just finished reading this very intense book. The more I read the more information I receive makes me feel quite uneasy living in this world today. Ignorance is bliss - I'll never be the same. Being an avid reader of non-fiction has its price. The chapter on the toxic waste really caused me a lot of pain - how can they do this to southern Italy? Then I started thinking about NYC and The World Trade Center - where did all that go?? Who was in charge? Maybe I shouldn't read so much the pain is too much sometimes! Wish there were more Roberts out there. Robert if you get to read this you did a great job I wish I could meet you. What has happened in Italy since this book came out anyway? I guess I'll have to read up on it, but I am an Italian American who can't read Italian. Oh the pain of it all.

Posted by: Marie Elster | January 15, 2009 09:55 PM

Posted by: Marie Elster | January 15, 2009 09:54 PM

Roberto Saviano is indeed a brave man. What he has drawn attention to is the way the Italian state, capitalism itself (especially as neo-liberalism) and 'o sistema (the Camorra) are inter-related.
The Camorra is not a problem to be dealt with by putting soldiers on the streets, nor by police action plans. The world's mafias are the flip-side of capitalism and globalisation. The Camorra's violence has its equivalent in Friedmanism (See Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine) and in capitalist wars such as the illegal invasion of Iraq. Why should the anti-state (the Camorra) be peaceful when the state is violent? Why should the anti-state be honest when Berlusconi returns to power as regularly as the anti-Christ?
As one poster here rightly points out, for many people in the bassi of Naples, the Camorra means work, local patriotism, dignity and pride. Let us all ask ourselves, if we lived in Scampia or Secondigliano, if we were the children of unemployed parents, hopeless and impoverished and despised, what would we become? Who would we seek to emulate? It is to Saviano's credit that he does not flinch from this question.
The problem of the Camorra is systemic and the solution must be systemic.

Posted by: William Wall | November 27, 2008 09:36 AM

Cari Voi Tutti
come ben sapete il sistema va` cambiato dall`interno verso l`esterno.
una volta i malavitosi provvedevano a fare affluire i voti ai POLITICI..oggi sono i POLITICI i veri MAFIOSI...vi siete chiesti come mai dopo tanti anni esistono le logge MASSONICHE?
ad ogni probema c`e` una reazione che chiede una soluzione...ed in questi casi non sarebbe tanto male diventare una societa` del sitema ORWELLIANO..e` questo quello che vogliono i potenti!come si fa` a smascerare chi ti controlla giornalmente con le telecamere?la tecnologia?che fine hanno fatto i grandi cervelli del 1968?
ORAMAI SIAMO IN UNO STATO DI SI SALVI CHI PUO`...
per chambiare il sistema dobbiamo cambiare NOI!!!
non aspettiamo che un`altro ci salvi!!!

Posted by: SALVO La Caffe | October 14, 2008 05:42 PM

...and I forgot to add: It is a great book!

Posted by: john clissa | August 7, 2008 06:27 AM

'...e poi le flatulenze dei suoi guardaspalle che saturavano la casa di un odore dolciastro avevano appestato anche la mia stanza. non era solo la puzza a disgustare, ma anche le immagini che quella puzza ti sprigionava in mente. Involtini primavera in putrefazione nei loro stomaci e riso alla cantonese macerato nei succhi gastrici...'

No poetic license can justify this racist description...Mr saviano is playing to a populist anti-Chinese feeling currently widespread in Italy. These racial slurs appear on TV commercials as well. The one in question is about an after-dinner lozenge. A man walks out of a restaurant and to his surprise and disgust begins to speak in Chinese. Some friends of his come to his rescue by offering him the product. In the background there is a sign saying "YUK Chinese Restaurant." This TV commercial is only an example of this general anti-Chinese climate pervading Italian society.
I say this: don't blame the Chinese for your social, political and economic ills.
The Chinese 'mafia' wear Ermenogildo Zegna and Armani suits.

Posted by: john clissa | August 7, 2008 06:21 AM

Michael, here are the ISBN numbers:

ISBN-13: 978-0-374-16527-7
ISBN-10: 0-374-16527-0

In English: "Gomorrah" by Robert Saviano

Mine came from Amazon, but may I suggest that you patronize your local booksellers first. I should have.

Posted by: Chris Mills | March 28, 2008 07:12 PM

I lived in Naples as a US Navy member for 3 years. I started reading the English edition of Gomorrah this week and it has been AMAZING. Finally I understand what I was seeing a little of when I lived there. I know realize that I understood about 1% of the city I was living in.

The tactics are international but it appears that Naples is paying a huge price for what the crime families are doing to it.

I hope to visit again but I don't think I'm going to feel as safe as I did before. Ignorance truly IS bliss.

Posted by: Chris Mills | March 28, 2008 07:05 PM

Is this book translated into english? I don't think my broken Italian will help me fully enjoy this book.

Posted by: Michael | March 27, 2008 07:51 PM

Italy is going down the tubes, primarily thanks to the crime families. They are crapping in their own bed, and in the end, they will have nothing left to steal or exploit. The people should rise up, and string up every last bad guy on the nearest telephone pole.

Me? I am cancelling a 3 week trip to Italy this summer. BEtween the exchange rate and the prospect of seeing Italy degrade in real time is causing me to lose all desire to visit my home country.

Goodbye Italy... it was nice while it lasted.

Posted by: Joseph Justo | March 27, 2008 03:26 AM

Goodbye Italy... it was nice while it lasted.

Posted by: Joseph Justo | March 27, 2008 03:25 AM

to Anastasia Bizzarri gomorra as in sodom and gomorrah the two sinful cities in the bible.

Posted by: Mario C | January 4, 2008 04:52 AM

Gentile Signor Grillo,

Ho letto con attenzione e piacere il suo commento sul libro del Signor Saviano e condivido le sue opinioni. Vorrei ringraziarla per tener conto che ci sono 50 milioni di Italiani che vivono all'estero con un blog in perfetto inglese.

Cordiali saluti,

Anastasia Bizzarri
una dei 50 milioni

Posted by: Anastasia Bizzarri | November 20, 2007 02:48 PM

I would like to know if the book is translated to spanish. I would really want to read it but I can find it. And another question... why did Saviano called it "Gomorra"?

Posted by: Mariana | November 18, 2006 10:11 PM

I find this book very interesting. I had no idea that this was happening on such a large scale. Unfortunatley I don't speak Italian but would love to read this book. I hope an enlich version is released.

Posted by: Eoin Murphy | November 8, 2006 12:37 PM

Is there anybody that believes organized crime would stay out of "Globalization"???

The tactics mentioned in the book are international.

The Mafia, Camorra, the Russian Mob, the Medellin Cartel, the Yakuza etc.
are international financial organizations, they give employment and feed thousands of families...
As long as poverty exists these organizations will thrive because basically they take care of their "disciples" and provide what elected "lawful" governments, do not...:o(

WHAT A SHAME...!!!!