Alitalia and counting

Winged numbers. An individual wanting to buy Alitalia would have to fork out 2,000,000,000 Euro. Alitalia is worth zero. At the end of January the money to pay staff salaries will have run out. It has 20,575 employees. Half would still be too many. A third world fleet of aircraft. Beaten only by the Tupolev.
A CEO with an annual salary of 2,700,000 Euro. In Europe, the one with the highest pay in the sector. Earning 6 times as much as his colleague in Air France.
Prodi wants to sell. Who will buy? The banks are keeping clear. They’ve even tied their feet. Alitalia is losing 51,000 Euro an hour. Let’s stop the taximeter.
There’s only one solution to put a stopper on all this loss: pay 2,000,000,000 Euro to Gaddafi to buy it. The employees would have to move to Tunis. Their forced transfer would be part of the validity of the contract.
20,575 fewer mouths to be fed by the State. Great business. Even if it costs us a little bit.
There’s still the Cimoli problem. What to do with a manager who is so highly regarded by both Prodi and Berlusconi?
If a manager is paid well for what he is worth, he is paid really a lot for what he is losing. It’s a shame that the money he is earning is coming from our pockets. He’s not the only one who’s guilty.
He’s a goat but not the only scapegoat. But as long as he stays there, with that salary, with those results, with that satisfied smile there’s no hope. Let Prodi give him a job as a majordomo.
Then that’s the reason why he’s still there. Air. Fresh air. But what do you want?

Comments

Hi,

Speaking about Alitalia, yesterday I purchased a ticket from their Web Site and look at the confirmation message (below). I am Italian myself, and I thought this message was quite representative of a common attitude in Italy of carelessness, particularly in the public sector.

"Electronic ticket receipt

The ticket/s was/were successfully purchased.

You should be receiving a purchase details summary via email. Please be assured that even if you were not to receive the email, the transaction was completed successfully.

Your payment was successful but the system is unable to send you an email with your E-Ticket receipt.
Below is your e-ticket receipt. Tickets are valid for the named passenger only and are not transferable.
We recommend that you print this page and present it at the airport together with the necessary travel documents at the time of check-in."

I read that as "you might get an email, but I wouldn't count on it... you are better off printing this page and take it with you".

And lo and behond, no email has been received. :-)

In my life I have purchased hundreds of tickets from tens of sites, but this is the funniest I have ever seen.

Posted by: marco milone | December 1, 2007 09:44 AM

Giacomo you spell it out for everyone,nobody is going to criticize what you said because we all know is the true,thanks for the informations,ciao

Posted by: evakulnura | December 16, 2006 04:12 AM

Hello everyone, and just to give you a jolt I like to remind that We (And I emphasize the We) Italians and the newspapers we buy pay more attention and cheer Elena Santarelli (Wonderful babe nothing to complain about it) although to give this much space into a national newspaper rather than debating the real problem is for me a real quandary. I am over-reaching I am aware of it, but I would go as far as recommending that Mr. Prodi to hire such a beauty as a consultant to his Government. I am almost certain Italian would digest this Finanziaria with one gulp and no complains if only if it was dispensed by this stunning lady. Thanks although the quandary remain.

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | December 15, 2006 06:14 PM

Hello everyone, about Italian Economy and Economist running it, I like to challenge your perception although I read no reply or challenges to my statements (Can be negative folks, I can take rejections). One more examples of our Political Incompetence comes today from the UK, since BAE (Aerospace Company that makes the Eurofighter, Italy is in it with Finmeccanica) was under investigation by the SFO (Serious Fraud Office) for bribery in the Saudi Arabia arms deal (40 Billions 10 years ago and 10 billion the latest) the Mr. Blair Government has unanimously decided to drop the issue because the Saudis threatened to cancel the latest deal. Now this tells me Mr. Blair cares more about selling arms to the Saudis, saving thousand of job for the UK and more taxes for his government. It could be seen either way but one thing is for certain he does things for the UK economy, what about our good Mr. Prodi government of cerebral geniuses, after we financed (At the rate of 3.1 billions) Alitalia, we have to keep it in Italian hands and finance 20.000 jobs with our taxes for many years to come. Is this what they are thinking? These is the real world not some University where this Incompetent Mr. Prodi can make a spelling of the word “Pro-se-gui-re-mo” I feel like telling him wake up and smell the roses on your way to obsolescence. By By and thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | December 15, 2006 04:28 PM

Hello everyone, the about Italian Economy and Economist that are running this Country are the laughing stock of the world, and if someone think our Entrepreneurs and Financiers (From Mr. De Benedetti, Montezemolo, Benetton, Tronchetti, Cimoli, Scaroni and Berlusconi etc) in this Country are competitive on the world scene are making a big mistake. The reality is that these Incompetent are subsidized by with Government money (That means your money) and when successful in their business the profits goes in their account overseas while when they bankrupt the business it returns to the Government for money to keep it afloat. Facts Alitalia 3.1 Billion down the tube, Olivetti all but disappear sold to Provetti and now Telecom while lost 60% of the value while being controlled by Olimpia (Mr. Tronchetti Chinese box Corporation) has 4% of the actual stock, ENI run by a Government appointee (Guilty of bribery in a court of Law) Mr. Scaroni, Banks protected by Mr. Fazio is gone all running scared and aggregating otherwise will be gobbled up by International Bank (Until yesterday their market was coveted and secured by Government Protection). Nuove Pignone and Ansaldo two heavy weight in the Power Industry under Government control, while Nuovo Pignone was sold (At a huge loss) to GE that now runs like it should and makes money for GE, Ansaldo Energy instead has officially under the Finmeccanica umbrella although outside of Italy and specifically US. More example are Autostrade that without the Government concession nobody want, Fiat that has lost money for the last 12 year, while receiving heavy Government subsidy for their workers IFIL (Agnelli financial arm) was investing in Clubmed, Standa, Case-Holland etc, now is back in the car business sold Standa, Clubmed, and Fiat Engineering, Fiat Avio, Train (To Alston of France) and how to forget Iuventus (Loss of 200 Mil for the scandal). Is this the cream of the crop of Italy Capitalist, no wonder we have to ask Mr. Draghi to run Banca D’Italia (He came from Goldman Sacks US) because we only have Government Subsidized entrepreneurs capable only to act upon a Political assignment and while it may be sufficient in this Country to stay in their respective chair is not acceptable and sufficient to survive of the Global Market. Our brand of Capitalism is on par with out Politician’s ability and professionalism and that means that without a coveted and protected market these Imbeciles are worthless. Ladies and Gentleman is time to get with the time and realize that the Global Economy has zipped over our head and by closing the market down and rely only on our and Government capability (Especially from the Political scene) we are dead on arrival (DOA). Look around and you’ll realize that any successful Manager, Professional, CEO, whatever field he/she is in comes from an experience Outside and Away from Italy, and this is the reality, this Country is failing in each and every Category while Italian cheer their World Soccer Cup. Yes we are the Champion of the World (Only in soccer) take that to the bank and in the meantime keep subsidizing these Political Incompetent Incapable imbeciles and buffoons to run these Country into the ground as well. I may be wrong although this is only my opinion and time will tell. Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | December 15, 2006 12:24 PM

I confirm what Giacomo just said,Quantas was sold yesterday for the amount mention ,well now I will fly with Emirates,I hear by friends comments they are very good.

Posted by: evakulnura | December 14, 2006 10:35 PM

Hello everyone, and since my name has appeared in a comment I would like to remind to everyone that our Political Establishment has and is currently elbowing for world recognition (From Mr. Berlusconi inviting Putin with his Navy, Mr. Prodi sending the Army in Lebanon and entering from January at UN etc) just to demonstrate that this Country is still worth something on the World seen. Now I don’t mean to denigrate anyone but at the same time I can’t help myself but LOL when I see Mr. Prodi and Mr. Berlusconi using the 5 x 1000 donated in the tax return going toward the financing of this stupid and inappropriate show of power (That we absolutely do not have). Now these bozos can try to demonstrate whatever they want or pleases them and their respective parties, but in the end the fact remains that they are only incompetents and “Approssimativisti” (Don’t quote me on this spelling please!) because they try to do the best they can with what they have, and let me say don’t come even close to the matter. As for Alitalia is a well known fact that a Government running an airline is Nono (Especially if the Government is Italian) and the writing is on the wall. Since 1996 Alitalia lost 3.1 Billion, SAS is on the market right now with no strings attached by the Swedes Government, Quanta was just sold for 11.1 Billion no strings attached either, and United is considering buying Continental while United is still in chapter 11 protection. Do you really believe someone is considering buying Alitalia with the strings attached by these Emeritus Idiots that are running this Country? As for what I consider fun well I could get off with a raging list although what really top my list are these Idiots that think that because they are sitting in the Senate or the Chamber of Representatives makes them powerful and smart, and this really cracks me up every time they talk on a show or television or in any newspaper interview (Most of them I wonder what kind of education they have while for the majority can’t even put together a sentence in proper Italian without dialect). This is what I consider funny, and the bottom line is “How low do I have to lower my expectations to appreciate these Buffoons?” Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | December 14, 2006 02:29 PM

Shawn & Alistair:

I think the same thing regarding letting it go down completely, in a way to lose those idiots in the background that contributed to ruin its reputation.
300 Euros in taxes it's just a way to tell the customers that are perfect idiots to fly with that airline.
As I wrote earlier, the good people at Alitalia will always find another job, while the idiots will have to rely to their relatives or their favorite politicians, polluting other work places that don't belong to them in first place.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | December 13, 2006 10:31 PM

Personaly, I think that Alitalia should be left to go bankrupt, there is no point in flogging a dead horse. I dont think that anyone in their right mind would buy the company...how can they charge €100 for a return flight to London and then add €300 taxes?

makes me sick...this typical of italy, getting people to pay out of their backsides for poor services...

Posted by: Shawn Pearson | December 13, 2006 09:45 PM

Always
Late
In
Take-off
And
Late
In
Arrival.

I think ryanair should take over it, forget about Aer lingus...go for Alitalia Mr O'Leary. What about a workers payout get the retarded union to buyout the airline for their members, do domething useful for a change! just found this website, which was featured on bbc.com! it s fantastic and great move in italian politics and social life!

Posted by: Alistair Peckham | December 13, 2006 11:36 AM

While I was sleeping,you guys have been busy!Alex like Giacomo,I wonder what is your idea of fun?Italy?watch that you do not get an italian wife,then you stuck there forever!good luck

Posted by: evakulnura | December 12, 2006 10:46 PM

You are the LEADER SNERT!!!!

We follow in your foot steps...!!!!

Don't you worry!!!

LONG LIVE THE SNERT....SNERT SNERT SNERT !!!!!!

Posted by: paola filinesi | December 12, 2006 06:52 PM

For those who might be interested the word
"chiro" is derived from the Greek work "cheri=hand" ...!!!!

:o))

Posted by: paola filinesi | December 12, 2006 06:48 PM

RAFFA BIFFA is still here... THE "BUSY" WOMAN...

It seems you know more about "hand jobs" than about anything else.

Well, congratulations. At least, you're an expert in something!

hahahahahaaha!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Raffaella Pifferale | December 12, 2006 06:45 PM

Ah, here go the "intellectuals" again... hahahaha!!!!

Adults discussing the difference between "gremlins", "trolls", "snerts"...

You're soooooo pathetic!!

Ahahahahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Bernarda Ciufoli Rossi (mamma di Enrico) | December 12, 2006 06:42 PM

hand-job is the favourite job of this SNERT.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | December 12, 2006 06:39 PM

Peppi,
Are you a "Chiro Doctor" besides being a mind reader....??? !!!!!

:o))))))

Posted by: paola filinesi | December 12, 2006 06:38 PM

That kind of Solitaire is called Onanism and this SNERT must be a master of it!

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | December 12, 2006 06:34 PM

Paola:
I think "solitaire" is the other kind of game that that kind of people likes to play....

Posted by: Peppiniello da Capua | December 12, 2006 06:18 PM

Touche...Game lost!!!!
The name of the game is Solitaire...no matter how many names you use....no one is going to answer questions...!!!!
:o)))

Posted by: paola filinesi | December 12, 2006 04:45 PM

:o)))

I agree but since he is called a troll on the Italian blog I though of using his Italian name...

However I wholeheartedly agree with SNERT especially with the definition of:
"Sexually Needy, Emotionally Repressed Troll".

Posted by: paola filinesi | December 12, 2006 04:39 PM

alex jones, you moved to italy to enjoy life???

wow. where are you going next? to albania, iraq... somalia?

Posted by: Giangiacomo di Giacomo | December 12, 2006 04:33 PM

Prof. Mill etc. is a SNERT and not a TROLL: In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others. The troll differs from the Snert in that it is the troll's intention to cause disruption to the community and not necessarily insult or offend, as is the intention of the SNERT.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | December 12, 2006 03:31 PM

Ahahahaha CLEVER people you are, huh!?

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jefferson D'Arcy | December 12, 2006 02:19 AM

-----

"CLEAVER" as in HARRY CLEAVER-Marxist Theorist!!

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

yhbt....:o)))

Posted by: paola filinesi | December 12, 2006 01:55 PM

This is just another symptom of the economic disaster of italy, if i work part time and earn 6000 euros in a year, i will have to pay about 4000 euros in basic costs, inps, accountant etc... so why should i bother? better to work in black, then i have to pay zero costs and i can keep the 6000 euros which i will use to eat, and put a roof over my head. I moved here to enjoy life, work and have a family and find myself a criminal, then i look at Alitalia and see the government is being criminal, i see that 2395 euro in inps contributions wasted on a bunch of workers who dont have to work hard. Why cant they understand they need to work to keep there jobs, not protest to keep their jobs.

Posted by: alex jones | December 12, 2006 01:46 PM

Add Eric Fromm and Jefferson D'Arcy to the lunatic's many handles with the insulting posts.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | December 12, 2006 04:19 AM

Ahahahaha CLEVER people you are, huh!?

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Jefferson D'Arcy | December 12, 2006 02:19 AM

Gremlin,
You are dealing with cleaver people here for a change, aren't you???
So I suggest you go back where you came from....at least there you are called a "Troll"
as opposed to "Gremlin" and you can show off your elementary English....!!!

ps.Enrico,
Pls don't use the word "AKA" you are confusing him...:o))))

Posted by: paola filinesi | December 11, 2006 03:16 PM

Giandomenico Sabato AKA Prof. Mill: sorry to have rattled your cage, but you have become a real pain in the nether region, cloning many times other posters' name and now using your silly Prof. Mill handle. You addressed me as Rotti before under a different handle and now I know you were the clone that did it.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | December 11, 2006 12:00 AM

Gianfranco Sabato,are you prof.j.s. mill soul mate?do you belong to se same club?you might got lost in the blog,it is easy to find your way out,just click on the italian flag,and voila'there you are back home where you belong,so long.

Posted by: evakulnura | December 10, 2006 10:30 PM

This Prof. Mill must be a masochist. He keeps coming back for more punishment. In the old days these guys used to be confined to mental institutions, but now they are allowed to mix with the general population and are even on the Web spewing inanities.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | December 9, 2006 04:50 PM

_________________________

Enrico Rotti,

You wanted the exclusive on that, huh!? Posting idiotic messages is the only thing you're capable of. Now you've got competition... hurts, eh?

Don't forget to take your medication, or you'll have to be put away in the mad house for real.

Posted by: Giandomenico Sabato | December 10, 2006 08:40 PM

Who wants to buy Alitalia ? None wants to buy something which debts are too much starting from the fat cats employed to produce nothing and fed with tax payers money.
Alitalia is the shame of Italy. A cancer which will never heal if all the staff will not be sent home FOREVER !! I hope one day they will be down the road on strike once again and someone will shut the door of their beloved workplace behind them thus forbidding getting in.
This shit company is a proxy for the "magna magna" of politicians and the "bel salotto" of the Romans ... there is no employee that is not there thanks to the good "raccomandazione". Something like RAI. And guess what ? All these shit employees come from Rome ...

Posted by: Christina Ekipaser | December 10, 2006 03:20 PM

I am not worried Raffa...:o))

I only feel sorry for the "Povero disgraziato...as in "Unfortunate"...of course) (!!)
because he is suffering from Self-Assertion complex....!!!
Using John Stuart Mill's name for a nick name is as if I were to call myself "Alexander the Great»!!!
Obviously he has missed out on some of Mill's basic believes which I find useful to remind him...:

1)This, for always being around with your stupid and vulgar comments:

"The liberty of the individual must be thus far limited; he must not make himself a nuisance to other people."
John Stuart Mill and

2)This, for your impolite and always vulgar remarks regarding different political views

"The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good, in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it."
John Stuart Mill

And one more thing, which is very important..., The real Mill was not a "Male Chauvinist Big"... (excuse my language) as this fake one wants to appear....: o)))

(Very feministic expression ehhh???)

:o))))

Posted by: paola filinesi | December 9, 2006 11:42 PM

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | December 9, 2006 04:50 PM

Paola, eva, don't worry about the Prof.
His name is Giovanni Vestri and he's coming from the italian side of the blog, only because he want to plague me and everybody else who's trying to discuss in peace, between civilized people.
To Vestri/Mill WITHOUT love:
May be you are plaguing me because you are falling in love with me. Sorry, dear Prof. but there is not "trippa pe gatti" (I can't translate this phrase! ;-)
There is only one man on this blog who deserve my love. Who's? But obviously: Peppiniello da Capua! ;-))))))))(lol lol lol lol)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | December 9, 2006 02:53 PM

Thanks Paola.......prof,jhon whatever,you are very lucky the full moon is finished I am in a very good mood,and your ranting make me laught,I had a pick today on the italian side,and in there you have something to say to everybody,and you went on,and on and on,I haven't read anything of what you wrote,and for the first time since I join in this blog I felt sorry for the poor italian bloggers ,but I also felt relieved because in my mind I tought,if you are harassing them well we might be safe on this side,there is not such luck we do have to cohabit in this blog that it seems we like for different reason,I for exchanging ideas,and listening to others people comments on topics we all feel very passionate about,you on instead I feel lots of frustration and anger,expecially against womens in general,I wonder were you abandon as a child by your mom?or you can't get laid?and you are not comunist,and against capitalist,wich side are you on? ,you seems little confuse,anyway I had my say and I feel better now,by the way feel free to answer,keep in mind that I will scroll trought,without reading your comment,then why bother?!

Posted by: evakulnura | December 9, 2006 03:44 AM

To Our GREMLIN:

BE CAREFUL!!! YOU ARE MAKING A FOOL OF YOURSELF SHOWING THE DEGREE OF YOUR IGNORANCE....:o(

PLS READ (it's in English...just for practice!!!)

After all, using nick names is your favorite hobby, isn't it???

..to be hired at ALITALIA as a Hostess the (female) applicants... the bloody
CAPITALIST SYSTEM where we are bound to live up... and for the being time....the first requirement to be hired by whatever company nowadays.....
UNQUOTE

Ts Ts Ts Ts
"What's up with your English, babe?"
Are you translating from Italian??

Posted by: paola filinesi | December 9, 2006 03:06 AM

To Ms (Mrs??) Evakulnura with love...

When I was a kid,my dream was to be a Alitalia flight attendant or as we call them "hostess",well after fliyng Alitalia 22 years ago,I thanked my lucky star,that I wasn,t tall enough for the job (this day would be a discrimination),the service was appalling snobbery from the staff disgracefully,sorry Raf as we say, they all put"the zappa on their feet" they can just blame them self for the all mess,hopefully now they will learn the old say"the customer is always right"

Posted by: evakulnura

My dearest evakulnura (what a funny and idiot name...how about in Italian?),
I don't think that to be hired at ALITALIA as a Hostess the (female) applicants needed and need to be very tall since I saw many Hostess working at Alitalia of below average height...

You know sometimes,especially as for as women are concerned, to get a well-paid job in big companies, such as ALITALIA, it's enough to be a pretty and "easy-going" girl, willing to open both legs and mouth to the right man (the Managing Director of the Company for instance) at the right time,no matter whether or not a full blown degree is needed but if you still have some doubts and want to know more about this controversial issue, please don't hesitate to click on the following website address:

www.monicalewinsky.blowjobSchool.whitehouse.us.com

Unfortunately,as you and Mrs ProfessoFessa BIFERALE should know very well, this is the general rule of the bloody CAPITALIST SYSTEM where we are bound to live up and for the being time I'm afraid that there's nothing to do to prevent this shame and discriminating (for clever men like the undesigned...)practice of employment, apart from of course casting our vote for COMMUNIST and anticapitalist PARTIES such as PDCI or RIFONDAZIONE COMUNISTA as you and Mrs professoFessa BIFERALE (foolishly) did last April....

So,Ms (Mrs??)Evakulnura and Mrs ProfessoFessa Biferale, let's chant all together:

hurray for COMMUNISM,Hurray for COMMUNISM, long live for Mr DILIBERTO, COSSUTTA,BERTINOTTI, CARUSO, SERGIO D'ELIA (cop's murderer) and Mr "RIZZO PELATO SERVO DELLA NATO" as it's still currently written on the walls outside Turin University.

With love

Prof John Stuart Mill, communist (women's) humiliator

P.S. What did you mean by "the zappa on their feet"?? If by "the zappa on their feet" you meant the famous "BOOMERANG EFFECT", such as that which hit Mr DEAGLIO's ass after launching his ludicrous stunt DVD on the market, well I regret to inform you that this old Italian say doesn't exist in English even though you can translate it as follows: "they all cut their own throat".

What's up with your English, babe?

After your blunder I think, no offence meant, that your English level is even worse than that of Mrs ProfessoFessa Biferale and as consequence of it I fear that ALITALIA Management didn't (luckily for them) hire you 22 years ago not because of your belove average height but because of your huge IGNORANCE and lack of confidence in English,the first requirement to be hired by whatever company nowadays...what a shame, Ms (or Mrs??)Evakulnura!!

Posted by: Prof John Stuart Mill,communist (women's) humiliator | December 8, 2006 11:44 PM

Riccardo Gulia:
Well said.
There's nothing that I would change in what you wrote.
In the real world the customer decides who to buy from and Alitalia ruined the occasion to do better a lot of times.
I still remember a flight from Milano to Chicago in 2003 with a crew from Rome (I don't hate people from Rome, I just try to identify that crew because normally there are people from around Milano on that flight) which did the best to not do their job: from bad answers to not listening to passengers' requests, you name it.
After that flight I was so sore with Alitalia that it took months for me before buying a ticket with that airline which I was before proud to fly with.
Even the food, which should be one of Italy's main features, was appallingly bad.
So, I decided:"why giving my money to people that doesn't care about me?" and now I fly with other carriers being sure to avoid Alitalia.
I met a lot of excellent crew on my flights between Chicago and Milano, I feel sorry for them but at the same time I feel that because they are excellent they will find another airline to work for.
Instead, for the other crew that I mentioned before, I think they should apply for a job that doesn't innvolve them at direct contact with customers like harvesting apples for example.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | December 8, 2006 10:29 PM

Posted by: evakulnura | December 8, 2006 09:46 PM

Dear Grillo and friends,
Should we really care about those 20,000 Alitalia employees? They are responsible for this failure just as the management, the government and the trade unions.

Overpayed (all of them) for their actual skills, unresponsive to the needs of their customers, always ready to go on strike, lacking of discipline and customer care, divided among lobbies inside the company.

How many times I found myself arguing with these people, stranded in an airport with wife and three little kids without any assistance from the airline personnell? I gave up on flying Alitalia long time ago!

Alitalia employees did not care for me nor for the other passengers because they would see us as as a nuisance, not as their customers.

A manager of mine used to say: "Remember, it's the customer that ultimately pays our salaries".

As you pointed out, Beppe, Alitalia employees have salaries been paid ultimately by our taxes. This has fostered in the personnel the feeling that they can do without customers. A recipe for disaster.

The other problem is the lack of teamwork. To win as a corporation teamwork is a must. It's not enough to paint on some aircraft the "Alitalia TEAM" logo. You've got to play as a team, from Cimoli, to the pilots, the flight attendants, to the engineers, down to the cleaning crews.

Now the game is over. Hopefully Alitalia will go bankrupt, which will allow drastic measures such as putting those old airplanes in a hangar and send those employees home.

From home they will be able to write a CV and maybe get a new job from one of the current competitors. In bussiness if there's a space for opportunity someone else will take over.

The airline industry is, by definition, a global industry. Alitalia was able to take some lead on its competition on short ranges and domestic flights because of the old barriers that have fallen with the deregulation.

Now that the other european airlines and the new low cost carriers can supply some of that demand, Alitalia's market is shrinking and Italy can live without Alitalia, while the competitors will occupy the space left from the fallen dinosaur.

Would a foreign investor buy Alitalia? I doubt it.

Why should anyone spend millions to buy Alitalia and inherit its employees when its possible to get its valuable pieces for much less at a bankruptcy auction?

And a new employer can re-hire only the valuable employees, leaving the others to the misery which they deserve.

Thank you for this blog, Beppe.
I hope Prodi reads it.

-- Riccardo

Posted by: Riccardo Gulia | December 8, 2006 09:13 PM

I don't fly Alitalia at all since 10 years.
It was not a deliberate decision, other companies are flying cheaper and better.
I'm just worried about the 20.575 employees who will be unemployed in a short time.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | December 8, 2006 04:40 PM

Alitalia for me does not exist. Serious overbooking problems have plagued this carrier for decades and the competition is making them look unacceptable in many other areas too.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | December 8, 2006 03:49 PM

Hello everyone, and one more time the incompetence of Government Agency is displayed loud and clear. In 1981 Ronald Reagan fired 3200 flight controllers because they went on strike and therefore refusing the Government mandate “To Return to Work” justified with the Interruption of Public Service. They had three day to decide and choose to ignore the Mandate, the rest is history, they were all fired on the spot, never worked again for any Government Agency, from that point on Deregulation of Air Transportation started and all the western Countries follow suit. The UK with Thatcher (BA), Germany (Lufthansa), Holland (KLM), France with (Air France), Belgium (Sabena) etc etc. Now this was 25 years ago the writing was on the wall and every European Country understood the issue, and like usual Italy ignore the issue, Alitalia was a good cow to be stuffed with incompetent Managers, Politician willing to try at running a Company, various people to be put in the company payroll for one reason or the other and so here we are. In the last 25 years we had 22 Governments, and only now they understood that Politicians don’t know how to run an Airline Company. This fact alone tells me more about the Governments and Politicians in those Government that about Alitalia. Italy is the fifth tourist country in the globe approx. 7-8 million visitors come to Italy and we (Our voted government) have wasted so much money and the opportunity to at least have one good Company in their stable. It is loud and clear that no smart business man or company will buy Alitalia with the stupid requirement they did put on them (To keep the name, routes and personnel) and so Alitalia will go on loosing money until the coffins have something in it, and only than will go bankrupt all the employee contract nullified and the value of Alitalia will be close to zero (0.00 Euros maybe also negative because they have suppliers to pay-up). You figure out who run this Company into the ground. Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | December 8, 2006 03:39 PM

Always
Landing
In
Toronto
And
Luggage
In
Atlanta

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | December 8, 2006 02:52 PM

Enrico Rossi:

Oink! Oink! Flat Flat Flat Flat Oink! Oink!.....................

:)))))))))

(Just a little bit of humour in front of so much stuff that takes us on the brink of tears)

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | December 8, 2006 02:02 PM

Today on THE ECONOMIST:

Italy's divided opposition

A plague on both your houses
Dec 7th 2006 | ROME

The centre-right opposition is in trouble in Italy and Spain (see article)

NOTHING seems to go right for Silvio Berlusconi these days. December 2nd should have been his finest hour since he lost power to Romano Prodi's centre-left coalition in April. In part, it was. Mr Berlusconi had called a demonstration in Rome against the government's planned tax increases and, on police estimates, it drew some 700,000 people, waving flags and chanting “Silvio, Silvio”.

But more important than the numbers on the streets were the numbers on the platform. Mr Berlusconi's centre-right coalition, the House of Freedoms, comprises four main parties. But only three of their leaders attended the rally. The fourth, Pier Ferdinando Casini, was conspicuously absent. His Union of Christian Democrats (UDC) held its own rally in the Sicilian capital, Palermo.

Worse followed. Mr Casini said that the House of Freedoms “did not have a point any more” and announced that he would boycott leadership meetings. The implications for Mr Berlusconi are serious. One in every seven votes for the centre-right in April went to the UDC, one of several parties formed out of the disintegration of Italy's once-dominant Christian Democrats. Without support from the UDC, the centre-right is doomed to perpetual opposition.

Why is Mr Casini rebelling? The most cynical explanation is that he has a personal interest in the survival of Mr Prodi's government. If it endures until 2011, the centre-right will surely need a new candidate for prime minister. Mr Berlusconi is now 70, he has been treated for cancer and, on November 26th, he collapsed at a rally and spent three nights in hospital undergoing tests. The telegenic 51-year-old Mr Casini is a favourite to succeed him.

Personal ambition apart, the UDC has long been a square peg in the round hole of the House of Freedoms. Mr Casini and many of his followers dislike Mr Berlusconi's populism and think that a less aggressive style of opposition would give the centre-right greater credibility. They are especially reluctant to criticise liberalising reforms introduced by the Prodi government which the centre-right signally failed to adopt when it was in office. A second tranche of such measures, abolishing barriers to entry in the professions, was approved by the cabinet last week.

Mr Casini's mutiny is also an early product of something that goes barely undebated in Italy, yet is likely to have a huge impact on its politics over the next few years. The country desperately needs extensive—and mostly unpopular—reforms. Yet, as the Berlusconi administration's dismal record showed, it is hard to agree to any of these so long as coalition governments are made up, as now, of many small parties. Both Mr Prodi, who has to wrestle with a nine-party coalition, and Mr Berlusconi have hinted that they would prefer to move from the present two-alliance system to a real two-party one. This could happen as the result of an electoral-reform bill now being discussed among party managers; or it may follow a referendum being planned by a group of electoral reformers across the political spectrum. Either way, it could doom the UDC to irrelevance, or even extinction.

Mr Casini insists that he is not just hanging on for the leadership of the existing centre-right, but rather wants his party to become the nucleus of a third force in Italian politics. The dream of reassembling the remnants of the old Christian Democratic party so as to control Italian politics from the centre is a longstanding one. But polls suggest it is likely to remain only a dream. Italians want a two-party system, and are adapting to confrontational politics. A survey this week in Corriere della Sera found only 11% of voters saying they belonged to the centre. For Mr Casini, loyalty may be the best option.

Posted by: Maria-Cristina Piras | December 8, 2006 01:22 PM

There are other ways to save Alitalia(!!) and for the State to spend more money....Employ an Aviation Consutling company....They will request a huge amount for doing the research (which of course you don't have to agree with...) and then do nothing...
See Olympic Airways....!!!!

Posted by: paola filinesi | December 8, 2006 10:16 AM

Giovanni: "Will this be the end of nepotism and clientelismo?" Only if pigs can fly.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | December 8, 2006 04:12 AM

After many years of retarded management I hope that this time some serious company will take over Alitalia.
I feel sorry for the flight attendants which had to put up with this shit all these years but it's time for a change and I hope that the new management will kick out the bums from those seats that don't belong to them.

Will this be the end of nepotism and "clientelismo"?

Let's see what happens.