Thanks Gianluigi

Gianluigi_Barbieri.jpg

In the Eternal City of the pardon, Gianluigi Barbieri demonstrated that he has understood nothing about life. Gianluigi is disabled. He got a bus to the casbah of Roma Termini. The jumbo number 40 bus operated by ATAC.
A North African was verifying the presence of loose change in a handbag. Gianluigi shouted: "Signora, watch out". The inspector of the handbag reacted. To pass someone off as a thief is not politically correct. And he punched Gianluigi in the face. Supported by 2 friends. Three against one. He explained what he thought of him: "Dirty Downs', mentally ill".
The passengers at first made out they'd seen nothing. It was nothing to do with them. They were neither disabled nor stolen from. Then they showed their indignation against the disabled person. Who had put them in a dangerous situation. A single person took action and asked the driver to call the police and block the vehicle. The driver diligently got to the nearest stop and opened the doors of the bus.
The Mayor of the Eternal City of the pardon has remarked: "The exceptional courage demonstrated by Gianluca is part of the spirit of Rome, that every day manages to give a solid demonstration of that sense of solidarity and responsibility that contributes to improving the quality of civilized and safe living in our city."
Without saying so explicitly, Veltroni is alluding to the spirit of Rome fully expressed by the flock of humanity crammed into that jumbo bus. Gianluigi had understood nothing. His carabiniere father provided him with a repressive education. Thieves are people who make mistakes.
It's not done to disturb public indifference without paying the consequences. Even the lady who was being robbed didn't thank him. That'll teach him a lesson. Those who suffer theft don't want trouble. And how many people are robbed in Italy? If everyone were to shout out: "Get the thief!" what would happen to our future?
Keep silent, induce sleep, sedate, pardon, parliament.

Comments

Was the thief caught and arrested?

Posted by: Ny | January 14, 2007 08:48 AM

Francesco Sala:

You are right. As I said in my post, I was lucky.

But you know, I'm not used to take what's is not mine and I expect the same from the other people.

When Somebody passes that line with me is meat for the grinder.
I don't give a shit how big the guy is, if I get a good chance I react and I defend myself.

If the guy doesn't want to get his bones bruised he must do a simple thing: leave me alone.

I don't keep a lot of money in my wallet, it's just the other stuff like Driver's license, Credit Cards and the like, that you have to chase down and I frankly hate to do that.

I hope it will never happen to me again.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 10, 2007 07:02 PM

Giovanni Principe:

Pickpocketing is a minor offense. Assault and battery, instead, is a very serious offense.

You could have ended up in serious trouble had the police been called.

Therefore, reacting brings about the risk of being hurt (as you pointed out, the other person could be armed, for example); and the risk of ending up with a criminal record.

I am not saying one should never react. In your case, it indeed ended up favorably.

But I am not sure it would be a good strategy to apply each and every time. Maybe, carrying a wallet with small change and letting go of it if pickpocketed might be an alternative.

Posted by: Francesco Sala | January 10, 2007 06:50 PM

Hey Perfida!

At least the SOB was not talking on the Cell Phone!

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 10, 2007 05:41 PM

Mr Principe you were right, I'd have done the same.
It' s amazing how the people on that bus didn't even tried to support this disable guy, Gianluigi, and his valuable action. The bus driver showed is no brain attitude letting the pickpocketers out and Mr Rutelli regurgitated his usual stupid comment: what an asshole!
Bravo Gianluigi if only there were more like you!

Posted by: Perfida Albione | January 10, 2007 03:18 PM

Years ago I was in Italy and I was on a bus in a city (which I don't want to mention because of obvious reasons).
All in a sudden I realized that I was being pickpocketed by a guy.
Basically I got the guy's foreharm which was still holding my wallet.
Then I beat the living shit out of this guy while everybody was watching and nobody said a word.
After 15 or 20 seconds the driver stopped the bus and told me to dump this sonofabitch out before I would kill him.
I did what I've been told, the guy got dumped and the bus proceeded in its route.
I don't particularly remember what happened around me but I think nobody talked to me.
Somebody said something about self-defence and an old lady dismissed this person by saying that I was right to do that.
When I got off the bus I saluted the driver, which in change gave me a big smile.
My main task was to get my wallet back and that was accomplished.
I don't feel like a sheriff, I just think that that was the right thing to do.
My luck was that the guy was not armed (or did not have the time to pull it out) and there were no over-zealous policemen around to apprehend me instead of the guy.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 9, 2007 03:41 PM

well done Gianluigi, in this country of thieves it takes men like you, yes real men with courage and honour to stand up.
VOTE FOR GIANLUIGI !!!!!!

Posted by: Peter Stevens | January 9, 2007 02:53 PM

Gianluigi!

You are THE MAN!!!!!!!

You are one of the new heroes!

Thank you!

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 9, 2007 01:59 PM

Amen.
Thanks Gianluigi, it takes a disabled person to show some orderly RETARDED people on a bus what kind of misery they're buried in. You know who you are you scum, you're gonna burn in HELL.

Posted by: Giuseppe Graceffa | January 9, 2007 11:40 AM