Signora Maria

Piero Ricca - Occupazione case EN.jpg

Google Video
Mp3
56K

Maria Cartago is 89 years old. She is a delightful lady who arrived in Milan from Ruvo in Puglia in 1947. Since the death of her husband she’s been living alone in her public housing apartment in Milan. She doesn’t want to go to hospital to have tests on her heart.
She’s frightened that her apartment will be occupied and that she will no longer be able to get back in the home where she has lived for 54 years. Abusive occupancy of the homes in her via Inganni neighbourhood is at 30%. It’s a national phenomenon: from Milan to Cagliari to Rome. Illegality converted into a property system.
After the publication of an article about her, signora Maria has received reassurances from the Town Hall. Someone will guard her home while she is in hospital. Once upon a time it was people in hospital who were guarded. Now it’s the homes of the people in hospital that are guarded. Theft of property inside an apartment is a crime. To steal a whole apartment, walls and contents is however allowed…
A new, job description, apartment guard, can be listed alongside body guard.
Piero Ricca interviewed signora Maria in her own home.

Comments

We are discussing two separate problems here....
The first is that of Grillo's article, which I think has to do with the legal side of the matter.
The other,is the one concerning family relations and elderly people.

The first is a shame and I think there is little to say....
Prince, has my blessings and I would do the same or maybe even worst...!!!

In the second case, it is a matter of educating and teaching your children...Some will say that same parents raise different children...True..!!
In this case,nothing can be done...No God,no Cardinal, no anybody could change that child because it's in his character to react like this.
Unless the child/adult feels uncofortable in the way he treats others,and seeks help, I believe it is very difficult to show him his wrong doing.

Posted by: paola filinesi | February 9, 2007 04:14 PM

I want to tackle this problem from a broader point of view. It's unacceptable that people in Italy must be afraid of abusive occupancy of the own apartment, but it's equally unacceptable that people must occupy an apartment because of the housing problem.
We are living in a sick society, we are under the illusion to live in a rich country, far from it our society is not able to maintain the essential human rights, like to have a roof over the head.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | February 8, 2007 01:54 PM

Zagorfly
You read my mind.
Where are Mrs Maria's sons?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | February 8, 2007 03:37 AM

Caro Bebbe,
per cortesia tu che ricevi anche lettere dal Papa, fa in modo che uno di questi Cardinali che ti ricevono suggeriscano al Santo Padre di occuparsi di questo problema virale che come una malattia mi pare stia colpendo i giovani e non italiani. Sara' il polonio nell'aria senno non mi spiego perche tanta gente abbandona gli anziani! Non se ne cura. COme fa un Cristiano credente a non pensare che e' un suo obbligo morale di accudire ai genitori? Che Il Santo padre ci spenda una parolina su tutte queste coscenze per finta. Sta Pora signora non ha figli? Ho una Madre anch'io che e' stata pressocche' abbandonata da tre dei 4 figli..robe da matti.

Posted by: zagorfly | February 8, 2007 02:27 AM

I knew it.
Now I got upset.
This reminds me of what my dad's family had to go thru in Istria.
With the excuse of the Ideology a lot of people got either killed or they had to leave their house.

I hope to never ever have to do with this.

In case something like that would happen to me I think that I would have a very nasty reaction.

After all, I would be merciful towards those people that would try to occupy my house and that means that I will give them 5 minutes to gather their shit and leave the premises before I will unload a couple of clips in their heads, drag them outside and leave them hanging from a tree for 3 days as example.

There.

I said it.

Now the tension has been released and I can go back to my life.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | February 8, 2007 12:06 AM

Welcome to the Third World where the law in enforced exclusively with the weak and the poor!

And think also about where is this thing happening!
Milano is the business capital of Italy!

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | February 7, 2007 11:45 PM

Then what is the council doing about it?
it's no use complaining unless things can be done to change this absurd situation, the italian goverment seem to go from bad to worse!

Posted by: DEE COZIER | February 7, 2007 04:54 PM