A Country of Respect

scozzesi_a_Milano.jpg
Scots in Milan from corriere.it

Respect: a sentiment that leads to the recognition of rights, roles, dignity, decorum in relation to things and people and abstain from causing them offence. (translated into English from Garzanti Dictionary 2006)
Respect in Italy does not exist. Companies don’t respect their clients or their workers. Often precarious, at times murdered. Politicians no longer respect anything: for them the citizens are an optional. Virtues are bullying and ignorance. Italy is a free State. Freer than the others. Where you can do anything. Yes absolutely anything. Better than Disneyland and Las Vegas. And you don’t even have to pay the entrance fee.
Word has got around the whole world. Thousands of happy Scots from Celtic Glasgow transformed the sagrato of Piazza del Duomo into a latrine of beer and vomit. The police in force assisted with great respect. On the motorways Swiss cars flash by at 200 kilometres an hour, free in the Country of the Ferrari. In the bars, they take not just the cash box but also the cashier on the floor. What more could you want in life? It’s a day dream. No rules, no rights except one. The natural right for the family invoked by the Minister for Pardon and Vatican Justice. Rutelli is working to get things changed. He has thought up a new logo, a total respect symbol. Half way between a lumbago and a Parma ham. Rutelli is now completely drained. You could even say he has touched rock bottom. He held a conference in English and he’s got sub-titles.
rutelli.jpg

A speech of enormous political value that will attract thousands of anthropologists and language scholars to the Bel Paese. Attracted by a fundamental question. If Rutelli is a Minister in Italy, what are the Italians like? The Italian people are perhaps the connecting link between the primates and human beings? And is it necessary to show them respect, or is it OK to throw nuts and bananas to them?

Comments

The Universal declaration of Human rights is a declaration of the Human rights everyone in this world is entitled to. It has been fairly successful in upholding peace during crucial times in the history and disasters.

Posted by: human rights | December 21, 2007 06:47 PM

I've lived and worked in "Bella Italia" for the last 22 years, and I must admit that Italy is one of the most free democracies left in the world! This is coming from a native American! I have lived in Spain under Franco, lived the oppression of the Pinochet era, in the States during the JFK, LBJ, Nixon, years, and let me just say that nothing compares to to the natural beauty and "gioia di vivere" of the Italian people. My GOD, where would we be without the Italians!? When Dante showed us the various levels, he obviously excluded the "elected" politicians since there can be no lower level!! Unfortunately most of the people cannot/will not switch channels!

Posted by: kaoskid777 | March 20, 2007 09:32 PM

to begin effective housecleaning in America u must first shut down the federal reserve bank which is not even a part of the u.s. government.
Vote 4 Me
Albert Howard 4 1st Afr Amer U.S. Prez'08
www.AlbertHoward.org

Posted by: Albert Howard | March 12, 2007 06:43 PM

Spot on! Manfredi Manizza spot on!
By the way Leeds is by far the worst of the three you mentioned. tha ra luv!

Posted by: piero sanna | March 11, 2007 10:04 PM

Dear Beppe Grillo,

every country has imperfections, nobody is perfect and each country has to deal with social problems
in the house every day. Italy is not out of the list and it has tons of them. So, being critical to improve is a nice approach. But I believe we also have to be honest with ourselves and we should not take even the burden of other countries.
If Anglosaxon people come down to Italy and show the worst side of their culture, why do we have to feel sorry for ourselves or blame ourselves ? What is the meaning of that ?
In the reversed position
I could have seen british news papers condemn italian uncivilized behaviour.
In this case you blamed the
hosting country as Italy.
This is in my opinion totally wronng and this is the
drawback and the long-term
effect of the politically correct way-of-thinking no matter what.
This is now the current mainstream way of seeing
ourselves as inferior to British people as much as
they think, quite wrongly, they are superior !!!
Please stop it. We are not perfect but they are not perfect either. So why do we must feel guilty of having people coming to our country, throwing up and pissing out everywhere ? It's THEIR fault,
it'not OURS !!!
We have already some many issuses ruuning from North to South, why taking another one that
does not concern us ?
Once again, we have to be aware that in some aspects, I am afraid, we are far better than British and we have to be proud of that.
You simply talk about it having lived you entire
life in Itlay, have ever live in the beautiful
British Isle ? I did !!
I lived in England for several years and I can tell you that they are far from being perfect. They also live on so many prejudices on
Italians although some of them might not even
know where Italy is or what is outside the name
of Tuscany, the only thing they recall.
At this point I want just say to be aware of our limits and fight to reduce them but stop feeling guilty to be italian and hoping to be like Britons. In the Canary Islands a few years ago the British consulate representative resigned for all the issues caused
by drunk and violent compatriots,
ever heard of Italians in Greece or Spain in summertime ?
Why are we much more welcome than them in the MED SEA area ? Have you
ever though about it ? Think about it.
They are the "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide" society, Monday to Friday uptight, silent and polite, then in the week-end
loud, drunk and violent.
They are repressed, We are not as simple as that.
We are not THE PERFECT PEOPLE but they are sincerly way too far from being in our position.
I reccomend to have a week end in Liverpool, Glasgow
or Leeds. Enjoy the british friday or saturday night, then probably next time you'll think twice before blaming yourself for being Italian.

Greetings from Boston, MA.

Posted by: Manfredi Manizza | March 11, 2007 07:55 PM

You are more than welcome Mr Rossi. I knew you would have appreciated the vital and well documented information that this video presentation so poignantly illustrates. Part two is even more interesting. There is an 'educational video'on the this matter made by the same authors of Money Masters. It's called Money as Debt. If you have Emule you can download it for free. I hope that every reader of this blog would show the same interest and patience of Mr Rossi. Trust me it is time well spent.

Posted by: piero sanna | March 11, 2007 02:13 PM

Piero, this video puts the finger on the number one problem that is the cause of our calamities. Why aren't the media exposing the information presented by this video? I guess you already know the answer. Thanks for pointing it out.
Here is Part 2:

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | March 11, 2007 12:57 PM

LOL. Borat-- the sequel indeed!

Please.....visit .... our country ... we .... are ....desperate .... for .... your money.

Please...vomit ... in our piazzas .... and assault ... our carabinieri. Our women .... are yours .... for the asking .... and will welcome you .... warmly...

I am ... mentally .... damaged .... but am learning ... to speak ... again .... thanks to .... your donations ..... Please give ..... generously ..... for my ..... recovery

Posted by: Steve Rapaport | March 11, 2007 12:38 PM

Has anyone seen the video yet? let me know what you think about it! It should be made compulsory in schools for god sake! don't you think?

Posted by: piero sanna | March 11, 2007 11:59 AM

Giovanni, I'm not sidetracking. I was talking about aggressive behavior by a specific group on either side of the pond.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | March 11, 2007 04:11 AM

♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡

Hello:

Single it wished to salute by the great Blog that you have, you are very popular : ) If you want to add a connection of my Web in your site you can do it. URL:

Much Luck Friend That you have a Pretty Day.

〘◣_◢〙Lean Lee 〘◣_◢〙

|\\-/--O--o---__|------quiere lo mejor
-\\|-o--.-“----`\\--------para vos
--\\-_-o---O----|
---(---o---.-“--)
----`““““““““`

♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡

*************************************************************************************************************

Posted by: Lean Lee | March 10, 2007 11:04 PM

After all it was the Bank of England that started the practice of senorage. Yes! the matrix of all evils has English origins. By the way I really have to post the link of the most devastating and relevatory documentary you will ever see. It's in two parts. It last a couple of hours so that you know. If you have the patience and the time wacht this! Some of you will thank me for the rest of your life. her's the link: http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-8753934454816686947
Enjoy! (si fa per dire)

Posted by: piero sanna | March 10, 2007 10:12 PM

Don't sidetrack us on the USA.

The point here is about Europeans shitting on European soil.

I don't want to generalize but the British have a lot to learn about civility from the Italians.

Who vomits on the floor and treats the streets like a pig sty are not the corporations and the power figures but the regular people that are still behaving like Middle Ages' Huns.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | March 10, 2007 09:29 PM

Don't forget that the Anglos are descendants of barbarian tribes that got a bit civilized by the Romans, but soon reverted to pillaging, piracy and murder as a means to prosperity. The infamous British aristocrats are the heirs of these evildoers who founded an empire on crime, exploitation and war. Look at the Anglo gang in power in the USA. Genes are genes. What do you expect?

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | March 10, 2007 05:52 PM

When I was in Australia I heard that "if you need to hide money in England, do it under the soap".

It works perfectly for that bunch of stinking barbarians.

It's time for them to start to know the rules of self respect and embrace reading instead of wasting time like that.

My respects to The Queen.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | March 10, 2007 04:50 PM

Cinzia will you marry me?
AH AHAH! jokes aside, I totally agree with your beautiful post. I have been living in the UK for four years and I can honestly say that the picture I have in my mind of English society is pretty grim.
Hygiene standards in this country are at an all time low. Violence and disrespect is everywhere. Cultural awareness is practically non existent. Policy makers like the labour party are actively feeding this state of things and soon 'the great country of Europe' will pay the price. What happened in Milan does not have anything to do with the lack of respect that Scots might have towards Italy as a nation. This is the way people behave in great Britain when they are drunk. Now, I know that I am generalising but it is undeniable that the vast majority of people here were bought into the idea of a binge drinking/clubbing/shop till you drop way of life.
I am bitterly disappointed in English society. I expected more. It turns out that every country has its own peculiar problems. Believe me when I say that if you think that Italy is a chaotic and badly run society...you ain't seen nothing yet. There are of course exeptions. Here you can watch and enjoy football without running the risk of being killed in the process. People do follow the queue. Universities are incredibly well funded and they have unbelievable resources in terms of equipment and staff. What really is appaling is the state in which young generations reverse. I am 27 and sometimes in this country it feels like i'm 100. Don't get me wrong. I like having fun! But for christ sake critical thinking and personal views (on anything really) are definetely frowned upon. Young people in England are so spoiled, lazy and literally ignorant about anything that doesn't concern fashion and booze. Capitalism here has gone wrong man. Real bad mate!!! I am perfectly aware of the fact that centralized powers relentlessly encourage a uniform society. As you may know knowledge is power. Awareness is dangerous. What is also dangerous is that this westernized way of life is being instilled in big Italian cities too. It won't be long before they 'll try the same 'levelling' of minds and behavioural pattern in every city of the Bel Paese. Oh what is left to say.... well may God save the Queen. ihihihih... as if.

Posted by: piero sanna | March 10, 2007 02:30 PM

Well, in English then...Hopefully Rutelli will take some elocution lessons to avoid being considered "Borat - the sequel".

I have been living in London for the last 12 years. I believed in an improvement of my daily life in what was always described by the media a "civilized" Country, where everything seems to work, blah, blah.
Sadly, in Italy there is still this rhetorical attitude towards the "civilized-Hugh Grant-shaped UK", but the reality is quite the opposite. What the Scots did in Milan, happens everywhere, and not because of a football game. Believe me, it reflects the local common standards of hygiene and education. It's now considered obvious to enter the Tube with the feet immersed in rubbish of all sorts. City workers are covering the pavements with vomit every weekend.
Police are nowhere to be seen where gangs hang around the entrance of stations harrassing people. We have got plenty of CCTV cameras, which, incidentally, work only when a certain political debate needs to be raised. Blair is loosing popularity because every single ethnic minority is practically running and ruling the education, health and welfare system? Here's a video of police beating a black (no faces recognisible, of course), and here's the "debate" about how good he has been about promoting the status of Ethnic Minority close to santity.
Being a yob or a cocaine addict is a respected social status and well funded by the Governement's benefits (paid by honest taxpayers). Newspapers and TV have now glamourized any scumbag and they get more positive fame than a scientist discovering a cure for cancer.
I do agree with your points of view and what you are doing to uncover the shame of a potential perfect Country (Italy). But in the Scots' case, not only the police is to blame, but the innatural implicit thought that football's fans "have" to behave like that in the first place. How come that humans are reduced to that level of disgrace? What sort of background is supporting them?
UK is another very free Country, where even a party has been named "Respect", in order - I suppose - to count how many gulls are within the scarce UK voters.
Actually, UK is much better and more welcoming than Italy, because thanks to overcrowded prisons, lack of any control on immigrations and local criminals, and a social welfare which is killing the economy, the robbers and rapists would still live in State paid houses without any risk of doing time, and with a regular week income and free NHS, especially because they are an ethnic minority.
I don't blame them for being foreigners: I blame the institutions for lacking any sort of appropriate instruments to tackle this phenomenon and its cultural repercussions and for having double standards to the detriment of being honest and considerate.
Be sure that if you were having one of your free shows improvised in the Galleria, police would have rushed to get you...

Posted by: Cinzia Haycock | March 10, 2007 11:16 AM

The Garzanti has always been the best

Posted by: giuliana capo | March 10, 2007 06:59 AM