An Appeal from Gino Strada

In Italy even the happy-ending stories finish badly. It’s only a matter of political experience. About transparency and services that Cossiga and D’Alema have always aspired to. The government asks Gino Strada to save Mastrogiacomo. Strada accepts and flies to Kabul from Sudan. He is held in high esteem by the Afghan population He reunites the journalist with his family.
Without his intervention we would have had an extra beheaded person to whom we could dedicate a public square. And now what? Rahmatullah Hanefi, the manager of the Lashkargah hospital, that negotiated with the kidnappers has been imprisoned by the Afghan government.
Ajmal, the interpreter, is in the hands of a group of Taliban. It seems that no one is taking any interest in these two people. Mastrogiacomo freed, Strada derided.
Now the government has other priorities and treats Gino Strada like a woman of easy virtue. Of whom you can ask anything but away from indiscrete observers. Cossiga has said that Emergency is close to Al Qaeda.
A bit like saying that the Christian Democrats of Andreotti, Piccoli and Zaccagnini were adjacent to the Red Brigades during the kidnapping of Moro. Who however did not come back. Then there was the party with the firm hand, today the one of the dexterous ransom.
No one wants to negotiate with the Taliban, or however you want to define them, in the light of day. But you can only negotiate peace with the enemy. Or perhaps there was hope of exterminating them before the negotiations?
Here’s the letter form Gino Strada

Dear Beppe,
We are in anguish for the safety of Rahmatullah Hanefi, the Afghan director of the Emergency hospital at Lashkargah.
At dawn on Tuesday 20/03 he was taken by the Afghan security services. From that moment none of us has been able to see or talk to him. No charge has been laid against him and there is no document that makes his detention official. For now. Because the ones detaining him have given us to understand that the accusations and the evidence can be invented.
Some Afghanis who work in the place where Rahmatullah Hanefi is detained, have told us that he is in the interrogation room, where they are torturing him with electric cables.
Rahmatullah Hanefi was the key person in the liberation of Daniele Mastrogiacomo, doing everything and nothing more than what the Italian government, through Emergency, asked him to do. For this reason Prodi has more than once promised me that he will do everything possible to have him come back to us. However it seems that everything possible has not been done. Perhaps not even a part.
We forcefully ask for the intervention of the Italian Government to raise its voice and ask for the liberation of Rahmatullah Hanefi. He’s a friend, a precious collaborator, who is now in danger.” Gino Strada

PS You can get all the updates on PeaceReporter, profiles of Rahmatullah and Adjmal, photos and the latest news on the affair.

Comments

A modern Dante Alighieri! well done Piero great poeme.ciao

Posted by: eva kulnura | March 30, 2007 03:30 AM

That's great news Giacinto. I will begin working on this project after this friend of mine has finished his dissertation. I will be glad to take on board any suggestions you feel like to make regarding the subject. I will email you shortly. Thank you!
Here's something I wrote about seinorage and banks.
It's nothing special but I felt like sharing it with this little blog community. Thank you.

Nelle pagine del tempo

Nelle pagine del tempo l’uomo saggio si distingue
Non per arte o per cultura ma per vero strozzinaggio
I danari son da sempre cosa seria ed importante
Lo sa bene quella gente che coniandoli al mattino e prestandoli la sera
Ha fatto dell’usura cosa buona, giusta e vera.

Della truffa centenaria ed inaudita non troverete traccia
Perche’ i testi della scuola e dell’informazione
Della vera storia non posson far menzione.

Mediocri professori con l’antico greco ed il latino raffinato
Del legnoso equino ci hanno sempre raccontato
Ma il vero mito del raggiro penne dotte ed importanti
Con gran cura hanno celato
Il segreto della mai sazia zecca dello stato

Mai favellan lor signori dell’orefice aguzzino
Scrupoloso fiduciario del prezioso materiale
Tutti quanti riponevan la moneta scintillante
Nella cella di colui che con carta e calamaio
Se ne fece anche garante

Ma l’orafo si accorse un poco sbalordito che la carta-ricevuta
era all’or pesante ed ingombrante spesso preferita
Per la gente era d’altronde leggera, sicura e garantita

Con l’altrui denari mai riscossi e nella cella ben riposti
L’orefice-banchiere prodigo comprava , investiva ed ingrassava
La sua pratica semplice e geniale creava l’interesse ed il profitto
Da qualcosa di virtuale

Ed il niente d’improvviso valeva assai milioni
La religione del prestare fu adottata poi da tanti
Che dietro l’egida di un nome statal-governativo
Facevan l’interesse spudorato e per legge regolare
Del banchier-imprenditore e del parlamentare

Ci troviamo a questo punto mesto e un poco buffo
Cittadini dell’Italia e del mondo intero
Aprite occhi, orecchie e menti
Contro questo sciacallaggio si scaglino le genti
Soggiogate ed impaurite dal bastone del banchiere
Perche’ questo in verita’ e’ sempre stato il suo mestiere

Posted by: Piero Sanna | March 29, 2007 01:41 PM

Yeah Piero Sanna,
I'm very interested in your project!

Please contact me here so we can talk about it:
blacklotusmk@hotmail.com

I'm doing somethin'similar!

Posted by: G!ac!nto Aur!t! | March 29, 2007 09:00 AM

Really good article Enrico!. I am still around as you can see. I'm finishing my essay on prescriptive against descriptive view of language. The last bit of the article you posted refers to THE FRACTIONAL RESERVE BANKING. It should be called the THE FICTIONAL RESERVE SYSTEM. I posted the link of a very interesting article on how bankers are now moving their attention to Water as the new medium through which control the masses. if you have time have a look at it. I also suggest you watch another sensational video about this issues. It's very well made and surprisingly it is quite old. The title is 'The capitalist conspiracy'. You can find it on google video. Me and I friend of mine are thinking about translating this documentary in Italian and make it more appealing to a modern audience. He's an hip pop producer and a computer wizard so we were seriously thinking about re-editing some of these documentaries and give them a modern cut. Our intention is to post them on popular sites like google or you tube and make them freely available to the public. What do you think? any suggestion?

Posted by: Piero Sanna | March 29, 2007 05:20 AM

This article explains the banking swindle very simply. It refers to the Canadian situation, but applies everywhere:
"Let's assume that we are shipwreck survivors, and that we are stranded on a deserted island. Our only means of survival are to help each other by each doing those things that are necessary for the betterment of our new community, until we can be rescued. One of us becomes a farmer, one a fisherman, one a carpenter, and so on. Each of us has his own role to play for the survival of the community. No one has any money, and at least for the time being, there is no need for money, All are contributing equally, and all are on the same economic level. We are satisfactorily exchanging our goods and services by barter. But gradually, as the community evolves, it becomes apparent that money will be necessary. Bob already has a house, and the carpenter doesn't need another hundred pounds of fish. But we do need to associate, cooperate, and continue to contribute to the community. There needs to be an acceptable and equitable means of exchanging our goods and services. Then one day, as the community is sitting on the beach, talking about their problem, we notice another raft approaching the island. All are happy to see a new face, and we greet the new arrival warmly. As we continue to talk, someone in the community tells the new arrival about our dilemma, about how we started the community, developed it, built it through cooperation, and advanced to the point where we now need some form of exchange to help make the community grow and flourish. The new arrival's eyes light up. "I have the answer to your problem," says the new arrival. "I'm a banker. I'll set to work right now to print you some money." The next morning, the whole community meets in front of the banker's new house. As the banker distributes the money, he reminds us that the money belongs to him, and that we do not "own" it, but that we can only "borrow" it, and that we must pay a small fee for the privilege of borrowing it. We can pay that at the end of the year. And he requests that each person sign the agreement to pay 5%, which is certainly not excessive interest. The first year goes by. The community functions and prospers during the year; then at the end of the year we return to the banker, to pay him back what we had borrowed. But we find, to our dismay, that we cannot repay the loan, because we do not have enough money. We find that we now owe all that we had borrowed, plus 5%, which is the interest. The $1,000 that we had borrowed has now become $1,050. Since there is obviously no way to pay back the $50, which is the interest, the banker suggests that we leave the loan on the books as a $1,000, leaving a lesser amount of $950 for each of us to operate on for the next year. Seeing no other real answer, the community agrees to the new terms, and attempts to operate with less money for another year. At the end of the second year, the community faces a similar, but greater, problem. In buying down the loan, we find that our operating capital has now been cut by 10%, to $900. We realize that if the plan is allowed to continue, the banker will own the island, in its entirety, having contributed nothing but the paper and ink (bookkeeping) that was used to monetize the community's real credit in the first place. Some of the islanders protest. But the banker has now had a couple of years to prepare for this day. To counter the objection that is inevitable, he has taken evasive steps. He has used the time to develop credibility in the community to educate us as to how valuable his service is, and what a fine contribution he has made to the community. He established colleges and universities majoring in economics, and teaches our children and our educators all about his money system. He ensures that few, if any, in the community are aware that there is another way; and he encourages the community to discount as ridiculous any suggestion that there could be a better way to finance a community. Then one day, one of the islanders decides to take a walk along the beach and deliberate upon what has happened to the community. As he strolls along, head down, thinking, he notices what appears to be the corner of a book sticking out from the sand. He kneels, and picks up the book and brushes it off. The title, though tarnished from time, wind, and tide, is still readable - "The Meaning of Social Credit." The islanders had never heard of this before, but he has not had a book to read for a long time, so he sits down on the beach to read it. And as he reads, he becomes more and more interested and excited. He realizes that this book holds the real answers to his island's financial problem. The book describes how a community can function very well by simply creating a Balance Sheet, a system of debits and credits. He runs back to relate the exiting news of his discovery to the rest of the community. As he gathers the islanders to discuss his find, the banker watches with concern. Is his jug up? Has he been found out? Is the community finally ready to take back its property, and reconstruct it, and once again have prosperity and cooperation? Only you can answer these questions, because the island we are talking about is our country, and the community is all of us. The story paints a rather dismal picture of the banking system. Please understand, the average bank manager, teller or loans officer, has absolutely no knowledge of this. They are merely pawns in a much larger game. But rest assured, those in the upper levels of management in the finance industry are absolutely certain of what they are doing, and how it affects the citizens of the Country. Any system that enslaves and controls a population in the way that our finance system does, cannot possibly be from the Lord. So there is only one other place it could come from. Where do the banks get the money that they lend out? Actually, most people assume that they lend out depositors' money. But the bank must retain the depositor's money on account, and must pay him interest on it. The Central Bank may create, out of nothing, new credit ("money") through loans, but it must have a relationship to the deposits. Originally, the banks were allowed to lend out six times their deposits, but today banks are allowed to issue new credit up to 26 times their deposits. That means that if I deposit my $1,000 in a bank, then that bank can issue loans to the tune of $26,000... Go to the bank, get a loan, and ask for the loan proceeds in cash. No matter the size of the loan, you cannot get it in cash - it must be deposited to your account, and cheques written in order to access the money. No tangible money is ever created; only debits and credits (figures) are created. Today, the only source of money, whether private, corporate, or governmental need, is a loan from a bank. But you can never borrow your way out of debt. You can only borrow your way into bankruptcy, at which time you turn your back on your assets and your hard work, and give up possession of it to those to whom you owe money, but who gave absolutely no vested interest in your property"

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | March 29, 2007 04:16 AM

Hi Alex! that's the attitude needed to have a mature and productive conversation. I truly appreciate that. I am not sure I fully understood what your questions meant as I am not an expert. If you could please rephrase the content of your questions or give me a practical example it would be great. I will try my best to answer your queries However I think that the videos in question will dissipate any doubt you've got about this issue.

I am adamant that you will enjoy them immensely.
Catch ya later!

Posted by: Piero Sanna | March 29, 2007 12:46 AM

Dear Piero,

Thanks a lot for elaborating! Especially, because I have not had a chance to see the videos.

On many issues I completely agree with you. The whole system does indeed function only based on credibility and trust. It is also true that you cannot take your banknotes back to the bank and get gold.

I am a bit hesitant however on a few, mainly technical aspects, which seem to conflict with what I have studied. But I have an open minded and I sure will consider the points further.

In fact, after a quick read a few questions already arise.

If countries can run up their debt as they please, just making money out of thin air--then how is it explained that some countries don´t run up their debt to very high levels? Why do they tax their citizens (though voters hate taxes), when they could simply use seignorage?

Also, if I understand the theory corerctly, seignorage is the cause and explanation of public debt. Shouldn´t public debt roughly equal seignorage then? How does the theory explain the fact that the two entities are considerably different in size?

Anyway, this is what they call "food for thought" and thanks for the input. I´ll think it over and, in the worst case, if we cannot convince each other of all the details, we´ll have at least learned someone else´s opinion :)

Cheers

Posted by: Alex Masetti | March 28, 2007 11:43 PM

Alex thanks for posting again. I read you post and although your considerations are well written and thought-through they fail to recognize How seignorage really works.
You write:

Let´s make an example: I issue my own currency and everyone recognizes it.

When I print a banknote I create an asset (because I can exchange the banknote for something else). But I also create a liability of the same value (because you can bring back the note at any time and I have to give you something back, of the same value).

So, the net value I created by printing a note is: zero.

This observation couldn't be more wrong.

I'll explain myself.When a central bank issues money they produce this out of thin air. Money is no longer backed by reserve. It is at the very stage of printing WORTHLESS. This worthless money is then loaned to the state in need of it. The state has to pay back ALL THE MONEY that was loaned by the central bank PLUS interest. The money acquires REAL value only when the state commits to pay it back and recognizes it as DEBT.
The real ,tangible value of money is therefore OUR PROMISE TO PAY through our jobs, houses, gold, etc. Today the only value that you can measure is DEBT. This why YOU CANNOT BRING BACK YOUR MONEY TO THE BANK!!!!!! you would only be given back another piece of paper.

The intrinsic value of money no longer exists. There are no reserves that back the value of money. It's a system based on mutual trust that creditors and lenders put in money as the accepted means of payment.

You write:
'This is the situation with Central Banks that issue currency: they benefit from seignorage, as they get to keep the interest. That´s a pretty sweet deal indeed'.

You are wrong again dear Alex. Banks don't keep ONLY the interest. When they PRINT say £500 billions of money that in the first place is worth NOTHING (Because it is a FIAT currency and not one backed by gold) they put these 500 billions as a PASSIVE voice in their BALANCE sheet. The only money they really spent is the one required for the paper and the ink.

If you put in you balance sheet a -500 and then receive a + 500 with interest, you end up paying little or no taxes. The difference between the two amounts though hasn't DISAPPEARED! It stays in the hands of the Central Banks that enjoys 500 billions of REAL MONEY(it's been made real by our promise to pay remember)
This gigantic profit has been made by lending money that was worth absolutely nothing in the first place.

This profit is also called PUBLIC DEBT and has very little to do with inefficient public spending.

Alex I strongly suggest you watch really carefully the money masters video. I am no expert on the subject. This video explains very well why I disagree with you.

Have a look at it and let me know if you find it convincing. If you have Emule you could also download MONEY AS DEBT. It illustrates even better how this very well engineered fraud really works.

Have a nice one mate!

Posted by: Piero Sanna | March 28, 2007 07:25 PM

Giacinto and Piero,

Let´s make an example: I issue my own currency and everyone recognizes it.

So, the net value I created by printing a note is: zero.

There are, however, some advantages by printing currency: seignorage. That is, I get to enjoy the benefit of the real goods I exchanged for my currency until you bring my banknote back to me. Basically, I get to keep the interest during the period. Furthermore, by printing ever more currency, I can devalue it and thus also reduce the value of my future liabilities.

This is the situation with Central Banks that issue currency: they benefit from seignorage, as they get to keep the interest. That´s a pretty sweet deal indeed.

But, normally, this is not a problem. Central Banks normally belong to the government. Therefore, seignorage money ends up helping the central budget. It is money that indirectly benefits the citizens.

The situation in Italy is, as so often happens, odd. The Italian central bank, Banca d´Italia, is owned by private banks and other institutions. So, seignorage does not flow back to the citizens as a whole, but to a privileged few. That´s bad--and, in my opinion, it makes little sense.

The sums involved are huge--for any private citizen. However, they are not so significant when considered in the context of public finances. Just to put it into perspective: Italy contribbuted €64bn of accumulated (i.e. overall, not yearly!) to the European Central Bank. Instead, Italy´s total public debt is in the order of €1500bn. (For reference: http://www.cesifo-group.de/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/IFOCONTENT/NEUESEITEN/RTS/RTS-MITARBEITER/IFOMITARBSINNCV/FORUM3-00-SINN-FEIST.PDF) So, with respect to public debt, seignorage is a tiny sum--not the main determinant of the current deplorable state of Italy´s finances.

There is a long list of other factors which play a much more significant role, instead. Inefficient public spending is one big problem: Italy has constant budget deficits, which means every year it spends more money than it has, just to keep going. The difference, save extraordinary measures, is made up by increasing public debt.

There is also a market side of the problem. This is huge, so I skip it. The point is that public inefficiency and an uncompetitive economy are at the root of the problem. These are the causes of public debt.

It is, of course, possible to renege on public debt. This would mean that Italy would not pay back those who trusted her and lended her money. Argentina did. It endured some severe economic hardship but, thanks to happenstance, it had an opportunity to recover better than most other would. (Happenstance in this case is vast natural resources and agriculture, both of which find the Chiense keen buyers. This would not be the case for Italy and hardship would probably be much worse and last longer.)

The Argentina case also showed that when a country defaults on its debt, it is not only banks that suffer. It is all who lended money to that country that take a loss. Many Italian citizens lost money when Argentina defaulted.

Ironically, if Italy defaulted, many Italian citizens would suffer a loss again--thus compounding the problem!

I think the possibility of Italy defaulting on its debt in the future is significantly greater than zero. But, in that event, I am pretty sure it will be no pic-nic for all those who live in Italy of who have interests there.

To conclude: a solution would be to increase efficiency (eliminate wast and privileges) and to devise a strategy for the future: develop those sectors in which the coutnry can compete.

I am quite sure all else will fail.

Posted by: Alex Masetti | March 28, 2007 09:57 AM

Alex I respect your opinion, But I disagree with what you said. there are no nations that are successful. There are no current models to be copied. The economic system/model that we should aspire to has been already implemented in the past. And it worked.
It worked so well that the international bankers made every effort to destroy it. What is really crucial is that governments and not Banks should have the prerogative and sole right to issue Debt free money. Every time this was attempted Nations experienced great periods of economic expansion. Taxes decreased dramatically and those that were paid were actually spent to create and provide services. Another fundamental achievement would be the cancellation of debt, as public debt is the money that we own to the banks. With public debt out of the way prices would become stable and inflation would be inexistent. Inflation has been directly controlled by central banks as they control the QUANTITY of money in circulation.
These are the main aspects of seinorage and its implications. People should be aware at least of these basic concepts. Then and only then we could hope for a change.
I am sure I just misinterpreted your words and that you know better than I do what is at stake here. I'm looking forward to reading your next post alex.

Posted by: Piero Sanna | March 27, 2007 09:56 PM

"Being the convention mutually recongnizer, money represents real value." TRUE.

"As a consequence, debt represents real value to be paid back." It depends on seignorage! It depends on who owns new money.

I hope that some one else who can speak english better then me will explain you...
I don't know enough words, DAMN!

But i hope you will consider to watch those videos to understand which is the REAL problem!

The REAL problem is the HOW happens the emission of new money!

Try watching this youtube video:

And looking for "The money masters" on video.google:

Bye!

Posted by: G!ac!nto Aur!t! | March 27, 2007 09:43 PM

I´ve gotta keep it short now, but my opinion is that it is true that money is a convention, but a useful one.

Being the convention mutually recongnizer, money represents real value. As a consequence, debt represents real value to be paid back.

My expectation is that Italy will be crushed by its debt.

To prevent a catastrophe, it would be best--in my opinion--to study the rules, study why some countries are successful and copy!

I don´t think that thinking the problem doesn´t exist will help.

Talk to you later.

Posted by: Alex Masetti | March 27, 2007 09:03 PM

@ ALEX:

Of course yes, but we also can think using our own heads!

A little suggestion to you: take a look to those videos and try to reply this question:

Who is the owner of the money when it is printed?

Bye.

Posted by: Giacinto Auriti | March 27, 2007 08:49 PM

To Alex Massetti:
I never studied economics and I'm pretty bad at maths. The material that is being suggested though has been produced by top economist like William Still and supported for many years by the nobel prize friedman. Interestingly many people that did study economics find it very difficult to accept the fact that things like the 'business cycle' of a nation are created and directed by who controls the money. The Banks. This kind of skeptic inclination from the so called experts is typical of a school system that tends to over complicate things. It disguises what should be logic and straightforward with a lot of gibberish and technical language.
Let us know what you think about the topic Alex!. If the clone tries to steal your identity don't worry he/she/it is a wanker.

Posted by: Piero Sanna | March 27, 2007 08:45 PM

Piero Sanna

One would be livid if he cared about what you say.
But nobody does.

:D

Posted by: Piero Spanna | March 27, 2007 08:38 PM

AHhhh ahahahah! the clone posted under my name and I can assure you that he/she/it doesn't speak Sardinian. If He understood what I wrote below he would be livid! ihihihiihi!! Nice one Giacinto Auriti I will download 'The world has a problem' document and leave it in release mode. That's the spirit my friend!. It is up to us to make this information circulate as much as possible. A big welcome to High plains drifter. I don't know what you were referring to in your post but I'm glad you are part of the crew now.
Come on people! let's all follow Giacinto's advice and make this material available to all.
Information is the true revolution.

«La banca trae beneficio dall’interesse su tutta la moneta che crea dal nulla».
W. Paterson, fondatore nel 1694 della Banca d’Inghilterra, la prima Banca Centrale al mondo

Posted by: Piero Sanna | March 27, 2007 08:32 PM

JUST A QUESTION TO THOSE DISCUSSING ABOUT SEIGNORAGE, CURRENCY ISSUES, DEBT:

DID ANY OF YOU STUDY ECONOMICS?

Posted by: ALEX MASETTI | March 27, 2007 08:29 PM

Ciuvacca bambulessa, sa bertuccia di tu nonno. Pisdello che so io, finacco sbarraxado! Durma baiusso, sa la vanga in su cu! Seu durguel!

Posted by: Piero Sanna | March 27, 2007 07:50 PM

Giacinto Auriti would be proud of your post.
By the sound of your nickname I guess you already watched 'the money masters' and 'America freedom to fascism' video. Please 'Giacinto' keep you posts coming. Viva il SIMEC!!!!!!

Posted by: Piero Sanna | March 27, 2007 05:44 PM

Sannuzzo, Rossiccio... haven´t come up with some "very intelligent comment" of yours for this topic, yet? :D

How come?

Your two-neuron brains (one is for breathing, the other is for typing...) are overworked already??

hahahaha

Posted by: Enrichetta Sederini Rossi | March 27, 2007 03:11 PM

Mr Grillo you write:
Without his intervention we would have had an extra beheaded person......"

Perhaps some info here about befeading .....

Remembering Rufina Amaya

By Thomas Riggins

03/22/07 "ICH http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article17387.htm

On the morning of the 11th the Brigade decided to put its training to work and make an example of the people of El Mozote. They decided to kill the entire population of the village (about 900 people including peasants from the countryside who came to stay in El Mozote out of fear of the Atlacatl Brigade in the field. The population was unarmed. The men were separated from the women and children and publicly executed, many were beheaded (not an Iraqi invention). Then all the girls and women 12 years old and up were killed, many were first raped. Finally all the children under 12 and the babies were taken into the village church and then shot and bayoneted

------------------------------
Besides it does not need a genious to produce low quality videos and cover the face and read from a paper!

As for Mr Strada's concern:
too late. Strada knows the Afghan gov more than anyone. You wrote a few weeks back "ask Gino Strada about Afghanistan...."

italian soldiers shoot them bomb them and than Mr Strada tries to cure their injuries.
Strada set up the PR for the government with injured, sick ill bombed Afghans...

Everyone is using the Talibane for their evil motives
and the only one paying the price are the civilians -children, women, men, old , sick .......

Posted by: Marcia Visanji | March 26, 2007 08:20 PM