Disabled People in the Bicycle compartment

vano_porta_bici.jpg

Luca has written to me. He is differently able and has been a commuter for years. He is by now resigned to travelling in his wheelchair in the bicycle compartment. However even for Trenitalia things change. They get worse.
To get a train now, Luca has to sign a declaration that relieves them of responsibility. The disabled person must “be informed that the train is without an equipped carriage and toilets for disabled people” and “will not hold Trenitalia in the broadest sense to every criminal and civil responsibility…”
The disabled person signs the escape declaration and Trenitalia is free to not provide a service. Italy is the country of the libertarian freedom. In the sense that it’s always the ones that pay. I’m publishing here part of a post that Luca has published on his blog.

“For thirteen years I have used the railway service so that I could go to the High School at Castelfranco Veneto (TV) and then to The University in Padua. So that I could start to make use of the train with my mother we had a meeting with the head of the Venice sector, to decide what could be done to allow me to get on the train and to see what safety measures could be put in place to guarantee my safety during the journey.
For a short time during the outward journey, I was accompanied by the train inspector assisting the passengers to see that everything went well. The carriages were not and still today are not equipped to guarantee the safety of people who are differently able.
Most of the engines in use are fuelled by diesel (green engines). With the help of the baggage personnel I managed to get on the train and they positioned me in the space just above the steps so that I had my back to the direction of travel.
To block my wheel chair the only possibility was to use the brakes that every chair of this type has.
Sometimes it happened that because of sudden braking, the wheelchair shot to the other side of the carriage (to my great shock).
Some very kind and willing inspectors (whom I thank from the bottom of my heart) advised me to move to the compartment for carrying bicycles so that they could give assistance if something should happen.
In the bicycle compartment there are two small windows with horizontal bars that I can hold on to and I felt a bit more secure. After that, thanks to the help of a railway engineer I managed to get them to make modifications and to put in some doors instead of the shutters and to add a mechanism to keep the wheel chair fixed and a safety belt.
I only managed to get this in the bicycle compartment. It’s not quite enough!? I’m asking you a simple question: What do you think of all this?
Luca Faccio

Comments

interesting post but you need to grow up.....

Posted by: Shazia Shamim | August 12, 2008 08:35 PM

Enrico Rossi you´re such a crybaby: "booohhhh... he has the same name as mine... booohhhh... I´m gonna go tell mommy!!"

hahahaahaha

You´re so pathetic. I hope you´re not older than 5 years of age, or you´re really damn messed up!!!

Posted by: Annalisa Coulter | March 23, 2007 03:52 PM

The Clone who steals our handles is definitely back. Let's take a break and come back when he's gone away, unless Grillo is willing to certify names like he's doing on the Italian Blog.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | March 22, 2007 12:24 AM

Raffaella Biferale

Given your postings, the "clone" would probably improve your reputation.

Except for the fact tht someone using a different name or nick is not a clone. Though, you seem to have difficulty grasping this concept.

Anyway, the cow story cracked me up, while your "serious" messages are overall quite lame. Your nick should be Banality Central.

Posted by: Mark Paretti | March 21, 2007 05:15 PM

Hey MR/MRS clone tell me something.... you're doing this because you had a difficult childhood? Have got a small penis? You haven't had sex in months? You have chronic bad breath? your partener is cheating on you? You couldn't make it in the heavy metal scene and this is your form of revenge?
I think you are really cool man.... when I grow up I want to be just like you. In the meantime clone my ass!

Posted by: piero sanna | March 21, 2007 01:14 PM

ihhihihh hihihihi this situation is hilarious. I mean no disrespect but you have to give some credit to this clone of yours. At least she /he' s got some originality. Jokes aside I think you should keep on posting your comments on this blog. errrr... the both of you... ihhihihi.

Posted by: piero sanna | March 21, 2007 12:42 PM

Dear Annalisa:
First of all Raffaella Biferale isn't a nick but MY REAL NAME.
There are people here on the blog who don't know me well, and believed I was the one who wrote this bullshit about the dead cow: that soil my reputation and I can't allow it.
That is the reason of my denial, not paranoia.
I know, I don't need to explain it, but ... repetita juvant!
To everybody: whoever will post something in my name, is a CLONE or somebody who want disturb the discussion. For now, I will not post any more on this blog.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | March 21, 2007 12:04 PM

R. Biferale, who wrote this bullshit about the cow dorotea, is A CLONE!!!!!!!!!!
Please, don't reply to her (or him).
To the clone: it's enough!

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | March 21, 2007 11:24 AM

I think that Luca's problem is very simbolic for the whole aiding system of Italy. For ex. Rome is a very turistic city but have you ever tried to cross Piazza Venezia in a wheelchair...

Posted by: Nina Saem | March 21, 2007 10:18 AM

Excuse me, what has a cow got to do with Luca's matter???

Posted by: Laura C | March 21, 2007 09:30 AM

Piero, are you making fun of my misery? I loved Dorotea, I grew up with her... are you heartless??? :(((((

Posted by: R. Biferale | March 21, 2007 08:41 AM

Hey raffaella did you wacht the video?
How insensitive of me! I guess you will be mourning the cow all day!
By the way ..was that a joke? or you are serious about the cow...

Posted by: piero sanna | March 21, 2007 08:32 AM

Your cow just died?????????
Am I still sleepy or what?

Posted by: piero sanna | March 21, 2007 08:27 AM

we are in Italy...

Posted by: Paolo S. | March 21, 2007 08:09 AM

I´m sooo sad... my cow just died

:((((

Posted by: R. Biferale | March 21, 2007 07:59 AM

ciao Beppe!

I'm Italian, but I'm living in Colorado/USA and... with your blog I like to keep in touch with what's happening back home. not always are good news, but... I always like to read what you have to say.
this is what I found by browsing on internet regarding Lucca Faccio's story, check it out:
hmmm... it really looks like Italy has to learn A LOT from other Countries.
BTW: for 2 Winters, I had the chance to work with people with different abilities in the local Vail ski school. I must admit it was hard for me, especially when I was teaching skiing little kids with physical or mental disabilities, but it enriched me and thought me the real meaning of... having fun & enjoying your own life.
please, you and Luca... keep doing what you're doing and (maybe) get some ideas from the above mentioned web-sites and from www.vail.com --> go to ski school --> adaptive program. these guys are great and are led by Ruth De Muth, an awesome lady.
big hug!