The new monsters

i_nuovi_mostri.jpg

Romero wouldn’t have been able to do better. Italian news is decomposed. It’s the journalism of the new monsters that devour our brains. And it succeeds very well.
It’s the triumph of the disentombed news, postdated De Bortoli, ectoplasm that every so often comes out of the mouth of its editors, does a “chat”, instead of an inquiry with the unhappy Tronchetti in il Sole 24 ore. A daily newspaper that informs precisely but always 24 years late.
Sergio Romano, the mummy of il Corriere whose editorials are excellent pieces of dialectic contortionism, writes that a comic cannot do politics.
In the sense that he cannot express an opinion. It’s not clear why he can reply to the readers’ letters. What follows is the advice of a comic: transfer to Mickey Mouse.
Ectoplasms, Mummies. There’s no lack of wolf men. The ones that get transformed when their master’s moon changes.
And the phantoms, men who were but are no longer. Pushed to the edge by the editors in the night-time slots or in the redactions with millionaire handshakes to say nothing more.
But, still, all are the new monsters, even the great old one of the mountains, Eugenio Scalfari, who talked about Telecom Italia in yesterday’s Repubblica with an article that he should have written 5 years ago.
Or did he not know anything before Carlo De Benedetti was spied upon?
News with worms is not a great spectacle. It smells so much that they have to give it away for free. No one buys it any more. But it’s always us paying for it with our taxes.
It’s time to say “enough” of news assisted by the State, but on the payroll of politicians and financiers.
Whoever wants to present a draft law to abolish the public financing of newspapers, let them make themselves known. The blog is listening.

Comments

Prof John Mill:
Reading your comments is like listening to a Stravinsky's record played in a pub full of hooligans.
I understand putting a little bit of pepper in this blog but sometimes you exagerate and upset everybody.
I remember your comments in DiPietro's blog a while back and I didn't recall any of this back and forth of name calling and the like.
Besides that, I liked your comments (at least in that contest) but I seen that later on they drowned in a swirl of irate tantrums.
I can understand that the majority may not agree with you but when you fuck up your comments in that way, it only creates a contest where anything you say is flushed along the garbage.

You called me in this contest and here I am.

I wanted to tell you what I think and here it is.

With my name.

By the way, are you the guy on these pictures?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | April 13, 2007 04:33 AM

Dolores,

Everyone here will condemn you for your attempt at being insulting.

Even though your clumsy ways actually bring ridicule only upon yourself.

;)

Posted by: Dave Matthews | April 13, 2007 03:42 AM

Dolores,

I figure the strange names you are using are medical treatments. They also sound so unlikely that, chances are, they are real.

Just out of curiosity--are you a doctor or a patient?

Posted by: Dave Matthews | April 13, 2007 03:20 AM

P.S.
MIll,out of curiosity,is it the real you on those famous photos?

Posted by: BON BON JOVI | April 13, 2007 03:07 AM

Woah!

Joe, are you feeling good???

Should we call an ambulance?!?? :D

Posted by: Dave Matthews | April 13, 2007 02:57 AM

Mill,it is really you writing below?!I can recognize you,as far I am concern,you are welcome,unless you are still taking the piss out of us.

Posted by: BON BON JOVI | April 13, 2007 02:46 AM

High Plains Drifter

Good words. I expect you will say those same words next time one of your buddies posts insults.

It has not happened so far. Can we count on that from now on?

Doesn´t one need to be coherent too, to build something in life?

Posted by: Dave Matthews | April 13, 2007 01:18 AM

John Mill

You are good only with words.

I bet that if one day you would make it into my office looking for a job all you could do will just be blabbering on and on without accomplishing any of the task submitted to your attention looking like a moron and leaving the premises in shame.

Everybody can be an hero in his own mind and you fit in this position very well.

And, especially for John Mill, which likes so much to call other people "moron", I would like to see him in front of "you know who" to tell him what is writing in his sterile posts.
I bet he would be on his knees begging him to let him go and crying like a baby with his diaper full of shit.

Dear John Mill: to build something takes skills and vision.
According to what I've seen you don't have neither.
Instead of spitting epithets why don't you try to keep everybody else out of your picture and limit yourself to explain your opinion like any other adult?
We don't care if you love or hate Raffaella Biferale or if you think that Enrico Rossi and Giovanni Principe are 2 morons.
We got that.You don't need to repeat yourself every time.
We would like to read your opinion in regards to the post, think about it and write our opinion.

If you don't understand the rules is not those other people's fault.

I don't think it's rocket science but, if you cannot even follow those easy steps, you are in serious mental trouble.

Posted by: High Plains Drifter | April 13, 2007 12:31 AM

Raffaella Biferale

The only thing I despise is you.

YOU assume that "gay" is an insult. So, it is YOU ALONE who despises homosexuality.

Therefore, you can read your own diagnosis and, if it is worth anything (probably not), apply it to yourself.

:D

Posted by: Andrea Stefani | April 12, 2007 10:42 PM

Andrea Stefani:
There is another theory about people like you, who are despising omosexuality on all occasions: they are afraid of their own - very strong - omosexuality....

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | April 12, 2007 08:32 PM

Lacrima Napulitana = Raffaella Biferale

Is that your new, revolutionary psychology theory that sadness makes people gay?

Or did you learn this in the world-renowned Italian universities??

Posted by: Andrea Stefani | April 12, 2007 07:40 PM

Peppiniello is not gay.
I'm the living proof of that!
;-)

Posted by: lacrime napulitane | April 12, 2007 05:13 PM

Around here nobody is gay.
We are too busy being straight.

Posted by: Peppiniello da Capua | April 12, 2007 04:17 PM

That would mean that you´re gay and also delusional, since you´re happy if your man goes out with another boyfriend.

Are you happy to be gay and delusional?

Posted by: Rafanella La Scodella | April 12, 2007 03:53 PM

I'm too happy to be jealous

Aren't you happy as well?

Posted by: Peppiniello da Capua | April 12, 2007 03:43 PM

Peppiniello Da Capua

Are you jealous?

Posted by: Rafanella La Scodella | April 12, 2007 03:35 PM

Are sure you want to meet The Prince?

Posted by: Peppiniello da Capua | April 12, 2007 03:04 PM

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO MEET THE PRINCE??

Actually, I would prefer to meet the King. Any kings here?

Posted by: Raffaella Bifferella | April 12, 2007 02:41 PM

I'm coming from another galaxy, visiting your planet and....what a bleakness!
Especially people like Prof. Stuart Mill (a complete fool), they have a lot of time to waste on this blog, a sign of a very poor and desolate real life!
I feel sorry for him!
I will go back to my galaxy as soon as possible.
Best regards
Paul Atreides

Posted by: Paul Atreides | April 12, 2007 01:47 PM

John Mill
Are you sure you want to meet the prince?

Posted by: High Plains Drifter | April 12, 2007 05:11 AM

Look at this.

Giovanni Principe says:

"When I say something to somebody, I want to look into the eyes of the other person and see his reaction because only in that moment you know if what you are saying is right..."

::::::::::::::

YOU NEED TO LOOK INTO THE OTHER PERSON´S EYES TO KNOW IF WHAT YOU SAID IS RIGHT????

That means... you don´t know what you´re saying and you´re trying to figure it out from the reaction of the person in front of you!!!

hahaha

Then you get offended if someone calls you a moron...

:D

Posted by: Giovanni Imperatore | April 11, 2007 03:44 PM

I don´t see what for.

If the prince cannot articulate a thought in the blog, he cannot do any better in a pub.

I´m afraid the prince here is nothing other than a Principe sul Pisello... looking for the latter.

Posted by: Rapanella Pifferale | April 11, 2007 03:37 PM

Prof. Mill: are you really sure you want to meet The Prince?

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | April 11, 2007 01:24 PM

Giovanni Principe

There´s a good sushi place in Piccadilly Circus... wanna meet there?

;)

Posted by: Doctor Jeckyll | April 11, 2007 12:53 PM

John Mill
Could be I will be in London within 3 weeks.
Keep squawking.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | April 11, 2007 12:15 PM

Hi

I am Italian, but write in the English section as I live abroad (Germany), and to have a better chance to be read ;-))

I don't agree that the law supporting newspapers and magazines should be abolished, just because it is being abused, as it usually happens in Italy.
You would't abolish the support to disabled people, just because there are so many fakes in Italy.

The law surely was born to protect and support newspapers and magazines which bring some valuable content (informative or cultural) to the community, but because of to few readers are not profitable.

The, as it usually happens in Italy, the law is abused or tricked, to suck money to the state, it is the mother of all sins in Italy, I am Italian, I have been living there for 33 years.

As usual, the problem is not the hole in the law, but the hole in the control that the law is applied, just as fiscal fraud. The law says tax should be paid, many don't do it, just because they know they will never be cought.

Abuse should be punished, that's all, there is no legality in italy because laws are not applied, not because laws are bad.
This being said, improvement is of course always possible, also in the law.

Antonio

Posted by: Antonio Disarò | April 11, 2007 09:44 AM

I would not want to meet Giovanni Principe.

I am not sure I have the right vaccinations for that...

Posted by: Marco Sala | April 11, 2007 07:33 AM

And, by the way, tomorrow I will be in Canada until Friday.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | April 11, 2007 03:53 AM

Enrico
Where I come from, whatever we want to tell to the other people has a lot of meaning and we like to tell it straight to the other person's face, without hiding behind the wall of the unknown.
When I say something to somebody, I want to look into the eyes of the other person and see his reaction because only in that moment you know if what you are saying is right and if the other person understood the meaning of what has been said and, of course, to reason with the counterpart.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | April 11, 2007 03:52 AM

Giovanni, are you implying that Prof. Mill knows what he's saying? You are giving him too much credit, his mind has long gone to the nether region.

Posted by: Enrico Rossi | April 11, 2007 02:50 AM

Prof John Mill

In your last post you called me a moron.

I would like to know if you would call me with the same adjective if we would meet face to face.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | April 11, 2007 01:01 AM

Scientists Study Memory Loss Among Central Bankers
Near-amnesia Reaching Epidemic Proportions, Experts Say
by Riz Al-Zaphrany, L'Espresso, international edition, April 10, 2006

An “unprecedented epidemic of memory loss” is afflicting international bankers, making it virtually impossible for them to remember key phone conversations, meetings, and memos, a spokesman for the world’s leading brain scientists said today.

The spokesman, Dr. Hiroshi Kyosuke of the University of Tokyo, is one of over four hundred eminent brain scientists who have gathered in Oslo, Norway this week for a high-level research conference to probe the recent phenomenon of memory loss that has plagued the central bankers.

“The question at hand is this: why are bankers so good at remembering debtors’ names and phone numbers but so bad at remembering everything else?” Dr. Kyosuke said.

Over the course of the conference, brain scientists have presented research papers on a variety of subjects related to memory loss, such as the governor of the Bank of Italy Mario Draghi's inability to remember where it is the body of his tutor Federico Caffe', disappeared from Rome after telling: "I have a meeting with MARIO today".

“That seems like the sort of thing that a normal human brain would have no difficulty remembering,” Dr. Kyosuke said. “What we are learning at this conference is that when it comes to bankers’ brains, we have so much more to learn.”

On Monday, a full day of the conference was devoted to a paper entitled, “The Neuroscience of Mario Draghi,” followed by a keynote address given by former Italian central bank governor Antonio Fazio.

While many attendees considered Mr. Fazio’s speech a highpoint of the conference, Antonio Fazio offered a different assessment: “I have no recollection of it.”

Calls to the Italian central bank asking if Mario Draghi had taken a coffee in 1987 were not returned.

In April 15, 1987, Caffè suddendly disappeared, shortly after having abandoned the university teaching. He was "declared dead" on October 30, 1998.

Posted by: Marco Saba | April 10, 2007 06:08 PM

ENOUGH!

...ok, I´ve said "enough".
Now what?

Posted by: Stefano Sala | April 10, 2007 04:21 PM

Beppe, it is very unlikely that any of our politicians will come up with anything as you
have suggested, their lives of privilege would
come to an end very quickly, should they dare
to bite the hand which feeds them ( with our
money ). . . but miracles do happen occasionally, so you never know . . .

However, whilst we may or may never see such law put into force, there is something that people who care about truth can do right now; stop listening to propaganda TGs and stop buying these lying newspapers, and use that money for more enjoyable and useful things, than having our minds filled with lies and bad news everyday
( besides, as a collateral benefit, many less trees will have to be cut down, in order to have mountains of lies and deceptions printed every day ).

Mind manipulators are successful only to the degree that people allow themselves to be manipulated.

Posted by: Stefano Manfreo | April 10, 2007 02:59 PM