De Longhi Dioxin

incendio_De_Longhi.jpg
photo: KevThaBass

Fire in the De Longhi factory at Treviso last April.

There are no reasons to believe that there is a risk connected to dioxin in the fire at the De Longhi company. The company is not among those at risk, because of the sector where the fire took place, and also for the type of material that caught fire. It’s not considered that there are consequences for the health of citizens.
The hydrochloric acid and the PAH present in the plume of smoke produced are not in such concentrations that create problems to the citizens.” Arpav, Agenzia Regionale per la Prevenzione e Protezione Ambientale del Veneto, 18 April 2007.

“In the air samples taken a few hours after the fire started, there were 270 pico grammes of dioxin per cubic metre compared to a threshold of 100.” from La Stampa 20 April 2007

“After an intense and accurate series of analysis conducted systematically it has been found that all the values are within the established limits. The environmental analysis carried out by the Chelab laboratory both inside the offices and in the courtyards of the building have not discovered any trace of toxic agents.” De Longhi, 24 April 2007.

“Note that 70% of the De Longhi products are plastic and when they catch fire they produce dioxin.” Paolo Barbiero, Cgil Treviso, April 2007

“I am referring to the De Longhi fire that happened 18 April at 1:00pm in Treviso. My daughter and two girls aged four and one, live 10 Kilometres from Treviso.
That day at 3:30 pm she was out for a walk with the one year old . The windows were wide open, the washing was hanging on the line outside. A lady told her about the toxic cloud.
She was terrified and closed herself inside the house. No one knew exactly where the fire was, where the cloud was going. My daughter could have come to me in the vicinity of Belluno, but at 6:00pm the Arpav announced that there was no danger of dioxin. My daughter stayed where she was.
The following day there were other reassuring communications, then in the evening finally the truth: there was dioxin and benzene and other carcinogenic substances. My daughter was desperate.
The following day, Friday 20 April, she came to my place with the two girls. But too late. From that moment she hasn’t eaten or slept. She believes she is guilty of not having escaped earlier.
What’s more the girls are ill with a temperature, cough and cold. Obviously this doesn’t mean anything, because they are often ill. What’s more, no one knows what to do.
No one gives precise indications. What to do with the washing that stayed out that day and all the night. About the push chair left out all day, of the long-haired dog that stayed outside, of the grass in the garden?
We can’t even find out whether the place where my daughter lives, Varago di Maserada sul Piave is in the zone where the cloud spread.
And now is it OK to go back? Who should we believe? Who is responsible for the psychological health of my daughter?
Apart from the need to have precise information, I would like to denounce something but I don’t know how and to whom.
My daughter had the possibility to go away, after all she is unemployed. She didn’t do that because of the information given out by Arpav.”
Maria da Cesiomaggiore (TV)

“Moles, blackbirds, sparrows and pigeons in unimaginable quantities. The death of small animals around the De Longhi factory is making those people residing in the neighbourhoods of Fiera and Selvana di Treviso tremble.” La Stampa.

For the moment we are not yet talking about Seveso. It’s only the small-sized local fauna that has dwindled. Dioxin no, Dioxin yes. Dioxin De Longhi.

Comments

Joe
I couldn't care less for Consorte.
To me he is just one more problem to fix.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 15, 2007 12:55 AM

A little question to Prof Mill:
You say that Beppe's blog is left-winger.
Where is the problem?
This blog is a private blog, not a public one. It's not financed with taxes, it's not obliged to be politically correct.
Everybody can open a blog on the web and express the own opinion in there.
If you don't agree, you can leave it, or you can try to discuss in peace.
Cheers.

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | May 12, 2007 08:54 PM

Prince: I agree with Clint. ;-)))))

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | May 12, 2007 06:48 PM

Joe
I live in USA with my beliefs like anybody else because, guess what, it's a free country, I produce and I pay my taxes.
Also, mine is also an opinion which doesn't disrupt any organization.
In case one day I will not like to live here, I will move somewhere else but now I'm determined to stay here for a while.
And, like Clint Eastwood said in a movie, the opinions are like the balls: everybody has his own.
What's your opinion?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 12, 2007 06:34 PM

Joe
Previti is the last known example of criminal that got away with it.
Of course there are others like the ones you mention and for this I don't care about their political affiliation if there is one.
Previti can be of example to find a way to fight people like him and when this way will be found, all of them (people like Previti) will fall like butter in front of fire.

You can see I'm not personally obsessed with him.

You call obsession the right quest for Justice?

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 12, 2007 02:19 PM

I think of all that toxic and cancerogenic stuff gently settling onto the fields... the lettuce grow... the apples... the vineyards... the cows grazing... the milk and the mozzarellas...

Eesh!

That stuff is gonna hit the markets over the next few months. I think I will be even more careful reading the origin of the stuff I buy.

A year or two ago, REPORT on Rai3 showed that pollution of agrcultural fields is widespread. They documented how toxic waste had deliberately been spread and mixed with the land on which farmers were growing produce... In another report, they talked about the nasty things they do with the wine...

Foul play can take place everywhere, of course. And it is hard to imagine a place exempt. However, Italians have a special knack for this stuff. You know, Italian creativity´s scary side!

Made in Italy looks to me as a warning sign!

Posted by: Marcello Ferrari | May 12, 2007 12:59 AM

What do you want from Italian Justice?
If people like Previti can get away, De Longhi could follow the same path.
Corporations are killing people in the name of the profit and, of course, nobody moves a finger.
This is Italian Justice for you.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 12, 2007 12:48 AM

THEY MAKE THE "AIR PURIFIER" GODDAMIT!

WHY DIDN´T THEY JUST SWITCH IT ON!?!??

Posted by: Curzio Delonghi | May 11, 2007 09:31 PM