Death on TV

morti_in_tv.jpg

At 18 a lad has already witnessed 200,000 murders on TV. He’s grown up well. Where there’s an abundance of arms like in the United States, they don’t think twice. And they do their own little slaughter. In other cases, like in Europe, the dead who are murdered are no longer disturbing. As an adult he can have his daily dose of media without trauma.
Once upon a time the goodie never killed, today he kills to show that he is good. The epicenter of the culture of death on TV is Hollywood. It’s not an anti-American question, simply a fact. Compare a French or Italian “cops and robbers” with a stars and stripes one and do the count of dead bodies.
If we see an injured person on the street as the result of an accident, we cover the eyes of our children. Then at home we delegate the televisionbabysitter. The child goes to his room to watch Hannibal Lecter devouring a brain.
The vision of violence, now at any time of day, can only produce violence. This could be OK for the NRA, the arms company that elected Bush, but not for parents. I am losing the battle with the youngest children. They know better than I do how to kill a man with a knife under the chin. Or how to hang.
Or how to torture, or drown or machine gun. They have seen more blood than the top dog in the hospital of Genoa. Forbid the children to watch TV is a waste of time. A dad can’t be worse than a film on TV.
The use of violence is a refuge from the lack of ideas. Instead of a beautiful naked bottom. Forbidden in the evening slot, there’s a bullet in the middle of the forehead. At the beginning of a film, I would put the number of assassins, say 58, 231. Then you know where you are.
And in the credits at the end, at the side of the names of the actors, the cause of death. To give complete information.
For a bit now, death on TV is making me nauseous. I hope that it is a contagious nausea.
Violence is the last resort of criminals and of film producers. Let’s open the door of our homes and go out and play with our children.

Comments

'Predicare bene razzolare male SIEMPRE' said "...try to answer this question please: Why should I thank Mr Grillo for taking the time and effort to keep us informed of his opinions if I can't tell him my opinion, namely that in my view he's almost always wrong and in most cases in bad faith because of his political beliefs??"

I read this on here. I see your opinion. No-one has cut it. There's your answer.

'Predicare bene razzolare male SIEMPRE' said "If I do so my messages vanish (do you understand what I mean, buddy??) sometimes even in a few second times after sending them!!!"

I read this on here. I see your opinion. There's your answer. (In fact I've read that line of yours, or versions of it, on here about 7 times now, but, wait...how can this be? They are still on here!! Surely some enormous conspiracy is taking place?)

'Predicare bene razzolare male SIEMPRE' said "In your view is this a manifestation of FREEDOM of SPEECH and THOUGHT??"

Well, as far as I can see, it sure as heck looks like no-one's prohibiting your 'voice.'

'Predicare bene razzolare male SIEMPRE' said "So this blog is a place where just the LEFT wing voters or who is always on Mr Grillo's side (for instance the members of the notorious "GRILLINI TRIBU'" such as Ms BIFERALE, Mr PRINCIPE,Mrs EVAKULNURA and probabably YOURSELF if don't change your mind about this issue...)"

Oh, I see...I must change my mind! ALL of us must change our minds! Oh, of course! Now I see that your version of democracy is such a very generous one, thanks for letting me know.

'Predicare bene razzolare male SIEMPRE' said "Does this kind of censorship happen in IRELAND too? I don't think so!!"

Over there (at least in the past) there were other ways of dealing with people who went around telling others, 'If you don't change your mind.' 99 times from a 100, the 'treatment' delivered was not only of considerable benefit to the community at large, it also provided the opportunity to advance the scientific understanding of hospital intensive care therapy not only in Ireland, but around the world. Nowadays, thanks mostly to the lessons taught to those who used to say 'If you don't change your mind' and their realisation that they do not have the monopoly on what to think and say, nor to control, good sense reigns.

'Predicare bene razzolare male SIEMPRE' said "In fact if a popular blog such as this one was run so badly and biasedly in UK or USA (or even in IRELAND), well I'm absolutely sure that it would be forced to close within a few months because no one would accept to be censored, regardless of their own political beliefs."

As far as I can see, you are the only poster here claiming that you are censored.

'Predicare bene razzolare male SIEMPRE' said "So I found pretty amazing your messages of support to Mr Grillo, taking into account that you are an Irish guy with an Anglosaxon mentality (aren't you??)"

What I have posted in the past about Beppe is this: 'I feel at least *I* should apologise to Beppe for what I can only assume must frustrate him as much as it does me to see his ideas re-fried in such a way.' And: 'we should say thank you to [Beppe] for taking the time and effort to keep us informed of his opinions. Whether we agree with him or not is our choice, of course. But we should (must?) at the very least do him the courtesy of replying to what he has asked us to consider." Yes, there's your Anglo-Saxon mentality. Shocking, isn't it?

'Predicare bene razzolare male SIEMPRE' said "Mr Grillo's staff who run so badly and biasedly this blog whose only worry is to shut the mouth of awkward and independent bloggers like me."

Oh, but imagine how empty your life would be if this site did not exist? Where then could you cast your pearls of wisdom to the ignorant like me?

Final point: This is posted next to the box where we can write our replies and ideas. Perhaps it isn't on your version of this web page?

"We remind you that anonymous messages (without real first name and surname) will be cancelled."

Thanks 'Predicare bene razzolare male SIEMPRE' With such a beautiful name, why oh why would Nasty Mr Grillo cancel your messages?

Posted by: Aidan Smyth | May 12, 2007 06:37 PM

Aidan Smyth (MESSAGE CUT 2 minutes after sending it)

Mr Aidan Smyth,rather than keeping on straying from the point talking about Italy (who cares??)or Mr Grillo's line of thinking (who cares??), just for once try to answer this question please:

If I do so my messages vanish (do you understand what I mean, buddy??)sometimes even in a few second times after sending them!!!

In your view is this a manifestation of FREEDOM of SPEECH and TOUGHT??

Well after my disappointing experience here I realized that in this country even INTERNET is not FREE at all as you ingenously still believe and this blog is a clear example of it, even though theoretically the INTERNET should be the more democratic means of communication given that,unlike TV and newspapers,is not or better still should not be owned by anyone apart from the bloggers themselves.

So this blog is a place where just the LEFT wing voters or who is always on Mr Grillo's side (for instance the members of the notorious "GRILLINI TRIBU'" such as Ms BIFERALE, Mr PRINCIPE,Mrs EVAKULNURA and probabably YOURSELF if don't change your mind about this issue...) have the chance to bypass the *great* restrictions placed on liberty by the CENTRE-LEFT Government, the CENTRE-LEFT press and TV and I can tell you that the same thing happens in Mr DI PIETRO's blog, but all of this,if you don't mind,has nothing to do with the freedom of speech and thought on which every real LIBERAL country in the world is based on.

Does this kind of censorship happen in IRELAND too? I don't think so!!

In fact if a popular blog such as this one was run so badly and biasedly in UK or USA (or even in IRELAND),well I'm absolutely sure that it would be forced to close within few months because no one would accept to be censored, regardless of their own political beliefs.

So I found pretty amazing your messages of support to Mr Grillo, taking into account that you are an Irish guy with an Anglosaxon mentality (aren't you??) and not a bloody Italian Communist like Ms BIFERALE,Mr PRINCIPE,Mr ENRICO ROSSI and those belonging to Mr Grillo's staff who run so badly and biasedly this blog whose only worry is to shut the mouth of awkard and indipendent bloggers like me .

With love
Joe

Posted by: Predicare bene razzolare male SIEMPRE | May 12, 2007 03:13 PM

Posted by: Aidan Smyth 's mentor | May 12, 2007 03:46 PM

My thanks to High Plains Drifter, Marcello and Moey and others here who took the time to write a logically presented and well-argued reply to my previous comment. FYI I used to be a very regular contributor to this blog (I am in Italy for many years), but I stopped after I realised there are those people 'out there' who firmly believe communication is their privilege and theirs alone, but who spend less time thinking about what they write than it took to boot their pc, and who possess no sense of humour unless it is at the expense of other posters to this site.

I returned only recently because I believed Beppe was making some very important points about the country I live and work in and I had hoped that, with the passage of time, I would now see some important replies to what he had to say. MY mistake. Instead, what I see is a number of people who firmly believe the ideology that, 'All dogs bark. My dog barks on command. Therefore, all dogs bark on command.' Sadly, or maybe even pathetically, there is nothing that can be done for people like this.

Posted by: Aidan Smyth | May 12, 2007 08:56 AM

Aidan,

The discussion here is quite representative of the way Italians conceive debate. Exchanges of opinions turning into exchanges of insults... Illogical patterns of argumentation...

Wanna learn about Italy? Well, this is quite representative!

While I can see that off-topic messages do create some "noise", I think they also offer an opportunity for debate to evolve and expand. In fact, if Grillo should ever read the comments, he should find inspiration for new topics and even "sense the pulse" of his target audience by reading the off-topic messages.

In fact, in your comment you mention the reasons for leaving Ireland--I find that a very interesting off-topic. I know of the tensions in Northern Ireland and the IRA. But not much. I actually even thought the tensions were on the wane. So, while your remark is brief and off-topic, I think it would be interesting and instructive for others as well as for me to read more about it.

I think it is a very good idea to try to learn as much as possible about Italy, since you are living there. Things in Italy are rarely the way they appear... and even Italians often have difficulty figuring out what is really going on. Most often, in fact, they probably don´t. This is also a time of extreme change and Italy is in a very delicate situation--which may well turn for the worse. The reasons and the weakenesses are many and on different fronts. Not least, the economy. So, the more you know, the sooner you will be warned of impending changes...

I´m off topic again, I know.

Regards

Posted by: Marcello Ferrari | May 12, 2007 12:49 AM

I'm not sure if it's a compliment or not that people here have decided to 'clone' me and post their comments in (various versions of) my name. And, because of the jumble of messages below, I am not sure if some of the replies are intended for ME or my 'clones'. Anyhow...

...To answer whoever it was who asked, why not post my own opinions 'on topic' instead of my asking why others post their own 'off topic' comments. Well, firstly, that's a good point. I did not comment on this particular subject (TV) on this occasion. But, I have posted on many other topics (in an 'on topic' way) in the past and guess what? The reply to my comments (and many other posters of 'on topic' replies) comes from someone or other saying 'can you find me a girlfriend?'

...In short, it goes off topic again.

I believe (maybe I am wrong) that Beppe's 'voice' here online is one of the few places where any one of us living in Italy has the chance to bypass the *great* restrictions placed on liberty here by the government (of all colours), the press and TV (I'm back 'on topic' now, ok?) and we should say thank you to him for taking the time and effort to keep us informed of his opinions. Whether we agree with him or not is our choice, of course. But we should (must?) at the very least do him the courtesy of replying to what he has asked us to consider.

But, then again, now that I have written that, some of you will probably only use this to confirm that I *really* am one of Beppe's 'communist' allies in 'the democratic Mr Grillo's soviet staff'. I'm not...I am an ordinary Irish guy whose family were forced out of their homes by violence and terrorism and racism among their own people. I hate all suggestions of such things, especially when some of you do so in the name of what you choose to call 'free speech'.

Italy is my home now. I love this country, for all of its many joys and in spite of its many faults. It would be good to see a few comments from native born Italians to that effect once in a while.

Posted by: Aidan Smyth | May 11, 2007 11:52 PM

I've just read all your comments. How come, in just a few postings, we move from Beppe's important point about TV to making sweeping generalisations and veiled attacks against Muslims? It would seem it does not take much to draw racism out of some of you here.

I am no spokesperson for any one in this world but, on this occasion at least, having seen what is posted here, I feel at least *I* should apologise to Beppe for what I can only assume must frustrate him as much as it does me to see his ideas re-fried in such a way.

Posted by: Aidan Smyth | May 11, 2007 06:44 PM

Joe

Don't confuse racism with respecting and enforcing the law.

In Italy a law has a lot of different interpretations while in the US it's just the law and is applied in one way only.
Here you respect the law or you don't.
If you don't the Police can kick your ass if you are white, black, green, muslim, catholic or buddhist.

On top of it, don't forget that us Italians are very different from a lot of known cultures because we had a different history: from dominators of the world to target of barbarians, huns, vikings, spanish, french, arabians.
Our way of thinking cannot be labeled because of the different variables that are still being applied today.

Ok, the northern Italians did not like the southern Italians but we never organized ourselves into specific organizations like, for example, the KKK.

That's why I don't think Italians are racists.

In Italy you can still get away with a lot of shit.

In USA if the cops get you you don't say a peep or else you get your ass kicked in a legal way.
Period.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 11, 2007 03:20 AM

"A dad can’t be worse than a film on TV."
Unfortunately it's not true.
Italian families are more and more an haunt of violence. Verbal but also physical violence, up to the rape.
Film are a mirror of the reality, not vice versa.
Indifference, abuse, humiliation are an everyday occurrence by many families, seemingly "good" families.
At best the parents are so busy that they prefer to place their own children in the care of TV, with the worst consequences we can see.
(in the teeth of Family Day!)

Posted by: Raffaella Biferale | May 10, 2007 03:00 PM

Good words.
But this is going around the real problem: the lack of responsibility on behalf of the parents.
Outside there could be all the garbage in the world, but inside the family, the parents have a duty to teach responsibility to their kids.
Nowadays a lot of parents demand this to other entities (institutions, TV, baby sitters) avoiding direct contact with what could be called their job.
This is the first reason for our kids' education going to shit.
Blaming the NRA or TV it's just ignoring the main cause.
We must re-learn how to be responsible.
We have to gain it because nobody will handle it to us.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 10, 2007 02:03 PM