The lion’s cage

la_gabbia_del_leone.jpg

If the lion’s cage were to be left open and your mother, wife, son, husband were to be mauled, whose fault would it be? The lion’s or the one who let it go free?
Franco Hadzovic has killed a woman, Piera Calanna, at Giugliano while she was trying to prevent the theft of a car. He dragged her along while going backwards for 20 metres.
Franco is the living proof of the madness of the system, of the excess of good intentions at everyone’s expense. Franco is a nomad, but he has been living in Italy for a good 13 years.
Franco has been arrested 6 times. Always released.
Franco had received numerous expulsion notices. Always ignored.
Whose is the responsibility for the death of signora Piera as relates to her family? What would you say?
If you’ve said Franco, you have confused the cause with the effect.
Franco is the effect of the lack of justice. The cause is our dear parties in government and in the opposition. The ones that have occupied Parliament and the institutions.
Destroyed the justice system. People who ignore reality. They live it with annoyance. In 2007, at least a further 60,000 Rumanian Roma are arriving. Two and a half million could be leaving in the future.
Italy is the ideal place. A nomad commits crime and becomes stationary. In Italy there are 100 regular nomad camps and 500 irregular ones.
Franco will end up in jail, like the Roma who killed 4 young people while driving on the wrong side of the road while drunk, like the Romanian young woman who inserted an umbrella in the eye socket of a metro passenger, like many others.
But our parliamentarians are always free. They debate, discuss, make laws on the backs of the country and they never go to prison for culpable homicide. Giugliano’s family should take a case against Mastella, the minister of Justice. We need to start with someone.

PS: In Florence there’s “Ruòtati 2007”, A festival of ecological wheels, from 18-20 May 2007 in piazza Santa Croce (from10am till 7 pm). To breathe better: less polluting energy and sustainable traffic. www.ruotati.com

Comments

well, hitler had the right idea.. he just didn't apply it correctly..

ps:
I'm romanian

ps2:
the good part is the gipsies are leaving

Posted by: John Smith | July 7, 2007 01:53 AM

Alessandro:
I don't consider the "eye to eye".
Truth is that, unfortunately, certain people are like animals and must be kept at bay.
Those animals understand reason only when beaten up in a way that they will keep out of your property and your family.
If Justice will not be reestablished more and more people will have to resort to this just to protect themselves.
It's not anymore a matter of consideration for unfortunate people, it's becoming a matter of survival.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 23, 2007 05:12 AM

Hi everyone.

I think what will likely happen in Italy is a sudden collapse.

A smooth reform is, in my view, unlikely. Politicians do not seem able to (otherwise they would have done so alrady!). The population is also too divided: too many groups with special interests and privileges for the general population to provide a clear objective for reform.

I think Italy will limp on until it stumbles and, after that, it will be chaos.

There are some serious structural problems in the economy and they are compounded by the exhorbitant debt level. With rising interest rates, the burden is increasing...

Something´s gotta give at some point. I suspect what will happen then will not be pretty.

We´ll see.

Guys, thanks for the info about Skype. Most people I know use it. But I am not a big fan of talking on the phone... so I never got it. (I even hardly ever use a cell phone... hate that too!! haha)

Ciao

Posted by: Dave Matthews | May 23, 2007 01:40 AM

Giovanni, while I can totally underatand that someone, on a personal level, can act with violence, when pissed and fed up, I still believe that the state and its laws should be "better" (let's use this term) than "the average reaction of a common man".
Otherwise there would be absolutely NO point in having an organized society.
Making "an eye for an eye" the basis for our laws is a recipe for disaster.
The reaction of a single person is a different thing... I know that.

Posted by: Alessandro Arcuri | May 23, 2007 01:01 AM

Dave:

You don't know how this thing bothers me.

I don't know how the Italians don't feel the urge to "empty the basement" before the whole building will crash on their heads.

I'm for the solution of the "sudden beginning", which means that, as we say in Italy, "a good start makes you already half way done".

Even if it will not be the right solution, at least something will be done and will draw the attention of others who will set it straight.

The big obstacle to overcome will be to be able to tell the good intentioned people from the self-serving idiots like the ones at power as we speak.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 23, 2007 12:22 AM

Ciao Giovanni,

I see your point and you´re right: to solve a problem one needs to start somewhere.

But where to start with Italy?

It´s all intertwined and it´s all rotten. That creates favorable conditions only for criminality and corruption. Using the flooded basement example, it´s like trying to shove the water out with the bucket... while the burst pipe is still flooding the basement. On top of that, many of our fellow Italians would also be using their buckets to pour more water in!

That´s why I am pessimistic. Those well-meaning citizens trying to empty the basement are likely to end up drowning in there... This, at least, is my impression.

Regards

Posted by: Dave Matthews | May 22, 2007 06:01 PM

Dave:

If the huge tree is in a place which cannot be reached, we have to keep our backyard clean.
Whenever the owner of the tree will get the drift, he will then correct the situation.

What you said is not wrong but reality check is another.

It's like when your basement is flooded: until the plumber comes you have to take the water out with the buckets.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 22, 2007 04:27 PM

Hello there,
Yes I said throwing overboard the Individual that consciously ignored the Penalty!
The reason is that when a Law is legislated, the train of thoughts has to be that when implemented it will work for the worst case possible and imaginable, and not the other way around, always compassionate, like maybe the Individual will not continue ignoring the law?
Like I sat many time, Italy is not a Civil Country for this obvious reason, there is no Certainty of Penalty!
Anyone kill someone, as usual 10 years for a process and in the end a procedural hick up and the Individual walks the streets free as a bird.
I am just reading Italian Newspapers and please someone explain to me in a Country where supposedly there is gun control, the number of homicides, stubbing, and death by violent act is becoming a daily routine.
Although this is not the worst part, the worst is the part comes once the due process start.
What due process? The due process in Court, three level of Due Process (Non implemented in any Country in the whole World!) while in Italy the average is 11 years while Expiration of terms are at 7 and ½ years.
As for minor Crimes, jail overcrowding (As stated 20.000 just released) inefficiency up the wazoo, and blatant incompetence, is leading Italian Society toward self defense.
As a matter of fact in Italy if an individual under threat reacts violently (Use excessive force) to a thief or armed robber, he/she will be charged with Manslaughter.
Italy and the Institution has to come to grip with reality, in Sicily they still walk around with saw off shut gun, just like in Texas with the only difference that in Italy guns are available for the few while in Texas anyone has the right to own one!
Think about it, maybe next time you walk around and your rolex watch get snatched from you at gun point in Naples, make it easy on yourself call 911 with the cell if they didn’t take from you, or even better if some illegal didn’t stub your eye with an umbrella for few Euros!
Is this Civility, looks to me whomever needs a gun finds the way to get it, while for the law abiding citizen; the law does due process, correct!
Thank you, and rest my case.

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | May 22, 2007 12:36 PM

Getting rid of one criminal is like picking a leaf off a huge tree.

There´s one leaf less, but you still have the same tree.

And... another leaf will soon replace the old.

Posted by: Dave Matthews | May 22, 2007 12:20 AM

Alessandro
I think that lots of people would not think twice before throwing those assholes overboard because a lot of people are fed up with them.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 22, 2007 12:12 AM

Why does it alway ends with people that lament the lack of civil behavior, and then willing to kill others? "Throw the alien overboard in international waters"?!?!
Come on!!!
I'd really like to see them do it.
Go on. Throw a man overboard, to almost certain death!
Nine times out of then those bigmouths lack the spine to do it.
I'm NOT saying that it should be done, mind you, and I know that the problem is real, big, and complex. Only, I'd really like to see those persons that say such things, take a little responsibility, for what they say.
It's soooo easy to be an "if-only-I-was-in-charge" guy, behind a computer keyboard...

Posted by: Alessandro Arcuri | May 21, 2007 10:14 PM

Come on!!!
I'd really like to see them do it.
Go on. Throw a man overboard, to almost certain death!
Nine times out of then those bigmouths lack the spine to do it.
It's soooo easy to be a guy if-only-I-was-in-charge guy, behind a computer keyboard...

Posted by: Alessandro Arcuri | May 21, 2007 10:11 PM

I unite my dpain with the pain of Clanna family for the lossing of own dear mother...
I come from Sant'Antimo, near Giugliano (only one public route divides these cities in the province of Naples - Northern Naples Area) and this is another difficulty to support after the Garbage Emergency in Campania Region.

Can God help us!!!!

Posted by: Agostino Pedata | May 21, 2007 08:10 PM

I come from Sant'Antimo, near Giugliano (only one public route divides these cities in the province of Naples (Northern Naples Area) and this is another difficulty to support after the Garbage Emergency in Campania Region.

Can God help us!!!!

Posted by: Agostino Pedata | May 21, 2007 08:10 PM

Justice is present only to blame you when you are trying to defend yourself.
And, of course, you are racist if you do so.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | May 21, 2007 02:01 AM

Hello there,
Here we go again Mr. Grillo as usual spinning the blame again, and in Italy only it has become the norm.
In a Civil Society (And that’s the reason I always claim Italy is not a Civil Society, just an overrated fourth!) where the rule of Law is what counts, ignoring several expulsion notice by the Police is a crime itself.
Now let’s recap the issues here:
1) Italy has just released approx 20.000 inmates due to overcrowded jails?
2) The justice System is a sham (Approx. 2 million cases pending?)
3) Only Killers go into Jails today?
4) Not even Mr. Parmalat is in Jail (14 Bil. Bankruptcy?)
5) The lady that killed her son in Valle D’Aosta is not in Jail ?
What am I missing, and Mr. Grillo would like to point out why this illegal alien is in Jail?
The issue is Government and Justice in a Civi Country are the pillar onto which the System is based and survive!
Although, Italy has plenty of money for Politicians Perks, and hefty salary, but nothing for Justice and Jail System?
And you fault the Police?
Next illegal that is caught (That Ignored Expulsion Notices!) should be taken to the international water line, issued a life vest and thrown overboard.
Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | May 20, 2007 06:50 PM

Whatever. Hanging on to the car was stupid.

Posted by: Gottlieb DeSchlampe | May 20, 2007 03:27 PM