I hate August

Agosto.jpg
photo by mariotto52
I hate August
with its tanned behinds, the creams and the big umbrellas.
I hate the empty cities. Friends far away. Our sons and daughters abroad.
I hate the August newspapers, the interviews with footballers, the quizzes, the sudoku and the forecasts for Autumn.
I hate the heat of the motorways, the toll queues at Bologna and Rome on the TV News and the comment about the traffic.
I hate the road works, the accidents, the lorries, the narrowing of the lanes
I hate the summer heat in the South and the first snow in the North. I hate the old folk alone with the dog, the bread shop with the blind tight shut, the cars stationary for weeks with dust. I hate the shutters closed round the houses, the burglar alarms that make a noise for hours.
I hate the still thoughts of August, the forced repose, the gardens burned by the sun, the loneliness, so harsh of 15 August.
I hate the fast food on the motorway, sweaty people, ice-cold drinks, queues for the loos, the scratch cards and the latest compilation. I hate the postponements until September, the air that’s still and humid, the dried-out plants in front of the restaurants on holiday.
I hate the repetitiveness, the consumerism, the waste of August. I hate the pretend joy, the pretend holidays and the pretend money of August.
I hate the fry-ups of fish at the seaside, the sorbet in the square, the polenta with mushrooms in the mountains,
I hate the rediscovery of nature in August, the goats, the horses, the cows, the ducks seen as though it were the first time. But what I hate most about August is the sense of emptiness, its indolence, its putting off, its making us go round for nothing, the “closed for 4 weeks”.
I hate the calendar of 12 months. Eleven without August, are more than enough.
And I even hate me who’s writing these things.
V-day
1 Participate in and support V-day
2 Put your photos on www.flickr.com with the tag: Vaffa-day
3 Put your videos on www.youtube.it with the tag Vaffa-day
V_day_calendario.jpg

Comments

Hi,
I live in England and some times I watch some news or comment about the life in Italia and the Italian people on the TV.
The other day I was watching these African group that come from east Africa to settle down in Italia ( and for to be precise in Caserta ), the condition of living was very bad, no water no electricity no jobs, because no body want give to these people a job and consider them as animals.
Now I cannot believe that in Italia the mentality has no changed at all toward some body with different skin colour; in England the government provide some kind of accommodation with water, electricity and centre heating, a bit money to buy food and college to learn skill and language if these people has had not education in their country.
The Italian government allows these immigrant to stay in our country, because is the European agreement decided long time ago, but doesn't provide to them the bare necessity for these people to integrate in the Italian society, on top the Italian people doesn’t like black people and call them " animals ".
If in Italia no body wants them why allow this emigration from the third world ?????
Stop ignoring this problem, start take care of the problem: if they stay in our country got to be respected as human being or deported to their own country because are not wanted in our doorstep.
The second point is that if some body would tell the Africans to stop have 20 kids per
Family I think we wouldn’t have this famine and continue emigration in the world.

P.S. In case some body thinks that is no true the in Africa some family have 20 kids and more: I tell you all I have been in Gambia and I know what I am talking about,
Most men, by the muslin law, had 4 wives and produced 20, 30 or 40 kids.
This is a problem that should be attack, this is the main problem, sort out the out control birth and we can sort out the African, the Indian, the Chinese catastrophe.

Posted by: Joe Toledo | August 9, 2007 07:57 PM

Hi,

Most men, by the muslin law, had 4 wives and produced 20, 30 or 40 kids.

Posted by: Joe Toledo | August 9, 2007 07:57 PM

Love your hatred of August. St. Louis is very much like Bologna this time of year. Do they still dance under a tent out northeast of town?

August is a killer. Just like February.

Posted by: Jan Marra | August 6, 2007 11:50 PM

Giacomo
What do you expect?
The majority of the Italians likes this.
They will change this habit only when their wallets will be razed down to the last spiderweb.
Personally I don't give a shit anymore because I never took one day of vacation (excluded of course the 15th because it's mandatory) in August because I always wanted to enjoy my vacation time when my body needed it, when the prices are low and the vacation places will be free of those hordes of forced vacationeers.

As for those people who complains about everything without having the balls to change their comfy lifestyle: Vaffanculo!

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | August 6, 2007 02:10 PM

Hello there,
Where is The Bel Paese gone?
Italy was the second most visited Country in the world, is now 6th and sinking very fast!
The highly acclaimed Minister of Belle Arti and Tourism (Mr. Rutelli? What does he know about it is a mystery although used to be a Party Leader, that explains it?) is very probably working on the next Party or something like that while enjoying the sun somewhere not too far from a cellular or a decision center.
Italy needs people like that to be on call at all time, other way how can Italy function?
Gas prizes are growing exponentially (ENI the leader of the pack in Italy only?) while the Minister call the Oil Company Managers to explain to the Government few discrepancies on Gas prizes compared to the rest of Europe (Gasoline third 3rd , Diesel Fuel the absolute highest 1st ).
You already know the answer, market supply and demand, ENI monopoly (Profit to the Government?) and to finish Taxes approx 67%.
You pay they get the breakdown explanations and Italians live happily ever after!
Tourist season, Alitalia bankrupt, baggage handler are fucking around with luggage (Breaking down equipment, not loading luggage, missing personnel, tampering with bar codes readers etc.) with the result Rome Airport, the first airport of Italy 40% of luggage is lost?
Tourist seasons starts, the Freeway System (Already crumbling any normal day of the year?) is obviously overwhelmed, and every year is the same actually getting worst.
One more time, it’s simply amazing, that events that everyone knows will happen with clock precision finds the Institution and Companies (Especially the one run by Government Agencies!) chronically unprepared!
These things happen every year, and although when there is a chance to make a buck (Gas prizes?) they are very well prepared in advance, although when it’s time to supply the proper service to the client Incompetence and responsibility are no where to be found.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Bel Paese, where have You gone?
The next installment of Harry Potter will be shot in Italy, since it will be in the Renascence Era, just exactly where Italy stop growing!
Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | August 5, 2007 12:22 PM

Dead right Beppe. August is a weird month, too hot, too dusty, stupid news, stupid holidaymakers and poor abandoned dogs on the motorway. Just hunker down in the shade with a good book and wait for the September rains.

Posted by: Arthur Hooper | August 5, 2007 10:07 AM