Rome-Copenhagen, one way ticket

mermaid_Copehagen.jpg
Bureaucracy as such is not a bad thing, in fact it is necessary. If it doesnít get too widespread. Italy is suffering an overdose of bureaucracy. A job with public services is not just a salary. Itís an extra position, an extra step in the passing of papers. A phone call, an extra document. Apart from the Provinces, how many other bodies are useless? A public structure has to produce something to show it is legitimate. If its function is of no use. It produces useless bureaucracy. Useful however in making the public go mad. Letís emigrate to Europe while we have the chance. Iím publishing 2 letters, two ways of viewing the public good.

Dear Beppe,
My name is Barbara and Iím 36 years old. For the last 2 years Iíve been Nichyís mum . Nicky has Tuberous sclerosis, a genetic illness that is as horrible as its name. It causes learning disabilities, epileptic fits and so on. But Iím not writing to you to tell you how desparate I feel. Iím writing to you to invite you to spend a couple of days with me and I will show you the real architectural barriers for a disabled person! Not the structural ones but the bureaucratic ones! Information is at the core of freedom, but in this subject matter (handicap) I have bumped into too much disinformation.
Spend a day with me and we will spend it on the telephone, we will listen to ďwait musicĒ and phrases like ďIíll pass you on to my colleagueĒ, we will wait and waitÖ hours that we canít afford to get what is promised by the law 104/92, but that no one knows how to give us. Our ears will get married to the Cornetta. But we have to be good to explain to Nichy (and all the others like him) that Mum has to spend more time with the bureaucracy than with him so that he can be integrated better!!!
Please give us a little corner of your passionÖ I am sure that something will start moving!Ē
Barbara. R.

ďIíve just left Rome and Iím in the centre of Copenhagen. Here I go out and find cycle tracks everywhere. My children play on their own in a garden with swings and a football pitch. I look at the crime statistics and they donít mention organised crime. It doesnít exist.
And even corruption is practically inexistent. Iím listening to the welfare reform proposals of the Danish social democratic party, which as it happens is lead by a 40 year old woman. I discover that among her 72 solid ideas, thereís the idea of ensuring that all the old people in the care homes get a shower every day. In Italy we havenít even managed to get public care homes for older people, whose numbers are always going up.
The distance between Rome and Copenhagen is more than 2 thousand kilometres and you can feel the distance. First of all with regard to the public administration. I go to the registration office to register my family. We queue with numbers. There are pens for everyone. The staff speak English and so my husband, who is Italian, can understand. After half an hour itís all done. The same day I discover that my bank has changed my address on its system, that is obviously connected to the registration office In half an hour I get the permit to park by the house for 6 months. Result: minimum bureaucracy, minimum agro. It doesnít surprise me when my Danish colleagues have asked me the same questions in all these years, when I tried to tell them about Italy: Why? Why is there the mafia? Why is there corruption? Why is there a government crisis? Why is there Berlusconi? "
L. D.

V-day:
1. Support V-day
2. Participate in V-day
3. Put your photos on www.flickr.com with the tag Vaffa-day
4. Put your videos on www.youtube.it with the tag Vaffa-day
V_day_napoli.jpg

Comments

Hello there,
Not a single goes by without Politicians in the front page of Newspaper!
Whether the news is for Insider trading, speculation, perks, salaries, nepotism, justice, phone interceptions, state properties sold to Politicians and on and on!
These are known facts of life (In Italy only!) although the surprising thing is that nothing happen!
Big scoops for a day or two and than everything back to normal, and by normal mean back to usual corrupt way of running Italy by these scum bags!
Apathy has already killed Italy, now the condors (Always the same individuals!) are gliding over the prey waiting for the memory to vanish and therefore returning to their business of ripping the Country apart for their own personal gains.
Anyone thinks Italy is a Democracy?
The joke is on you, not them, they will survive untarnished, and actually they will collect more money once out of there than before.
Justice and the rule of law will never prevail in Italy, everything stopped in the renascence!
Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | August 31, 2007 12:17 PM

Beppe,

Is this not a cultural thing. I one leads a more in the now, responsible, honest and mindful livestyle, crime is likely to be low. If one is socially and spiritually redeemed and forgiven every week, does this promote and breed a less mindful, deviant and dishonest lifestyle, the only bonds being money, hedonism, guilt and shame.

Posted by: Rob Whittle | August 29, 2007 09:59 PM

Hello there,
The ďPresident!Ē of Italy ?
Does He really think his warnings impress anyone?
From Politicians, to garbage in Naples, to fires, to the Mafia and finally Mr. Bossi, they are all shacking in their boots!
Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | August 27, 2007 06:43 PM

In my view the reason for such a large difference comes from the size of both nations. I believe that the effectiveness of government is strong corrolated to the size of the area governed. The cause of this effect is the smaller community makes government officials feel more responsible to thier fellow citizens. The people served are no longer mere numbers, they are neighbors, friends, relatives people who are met outside of the workplace, on equal terms.

Posted by: Ronald Ramo | August 25, 2007 07:47 PM

Read

Why Italy is like that. Say no more : )

I don't live in Italy any more anyway.

Posted by: rob zava | August 25, 2007 07:00 PM

Hello there,
I maybe a little thick, although I canít understand how Political Leaders in Italy (Only!) get to the top without a plan.
Mr. Berlusconi promised the moon, Italy saw the results!
Mr. Prodi had a 280 pages of commandments, out of the window just three months later, replaced by 280 new taxes!
Now new Leaders are cheered by the newspapers and the legions of followers, although nobody has a clue on what they plan to do or if they even have a clue on what is needed.
The Mrs. Brambilla (Bay watch style!) is a Party Leader?
Mr. Veltroni hasnít sat a word on what he will do if elected, although he is acting like the Imperator of Rome already.
What am I missing, either Italians act like Rush Limbaugh follower (His famous words ďLet me do the thinking for You, with half of my brains tie behind my back, I am more equipped to do it for YouĒ) or Italians need to be slept silly until their brains melts.
Mr. Berlusconi is boiled over and over, Mr. Prodi has a pink slip in the mail, meanwhile the new crop of dog wagging tail Politicians are introduced to the Electorate, the babe so people can watch her legs rather than lesson to her solutions (Havenít heard one yet?) and the major of Rome because all the other one have no credibility left to inspire no-one!
Long live The Italian Institutions.
Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | August 25, 2007 05:22 PM

Hello there,
I do realize there must billions of opinions why is Italy in the conditions it is today!
Although to simplify the matter, a simple word encompasses them all, and is ďResponsibility!Ē
Not by chance in Italy nobody is ever responsible for anything!
Thousands of rules, laws and regulations, nobody pays attentions since being Responsible is an option in Italy! Only I may add!
Before an individual is assigned to Work for the Public Sector, have him/her sign a contract with full responsibility for the Position, and full public review after a year!
Letís see how many would be left standing after a year, no ifs not butts!
Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | August 25, 2007 03:52 PM

un paese dove si devono sradicare delle radici politiche marce e prolungate fin troppo...

Posted by: davide sollai | August 25, 2007 10:53 AM

When I registered here in Copenhagen I assumed the long "permesso di soggiorno" queues.
But..there just are no extensive chain of forms, no polizia, just a fast-moving, interconnected, professional, egoless experience.
I moved to Copenhagen couple of months ago.

It can happen. Spero it will happen in Italia.
(for some reason a part of my hart will always be in Italia - note: sono Olandese)

Se vedum!

Posted by: Robert Vissers | August 25, 2007 09:38 AM

Io ho scelto, vivo ad Amsterdam! ciaoooooo

Posted by: Marco Nelparco | August 24, 2007 11:53 PM

@@@@

Beppe, prendili di sorpresa ...
Fai un appello a tutti nel tuo prossimo articolo ...

### Fatevi una copia di tutte le info dei Meetup della vostra citta' con numeri di telefono,links, come si firma, dove si firma, quando etc. ###

Se pochi gg prima ti oscurano il sito per "istigazione a svegliarsi" non perderai nemmeno una firma !!!

V-Day ad oltranza !

Ciao

@@@@

Posted by: Edmondo Dantes | August 24, 2007 09:50 PM

If you can attentively listen, that's the sound of the misused taxpayer money.

I mean misused, stolen, given away without reason.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | August 24, 2007 09:15 PM