Without work, without anything

V_day_lausanne.jpg
In Italy anyone who loses their job, loses everything. Whoever has a family to keep and from one day to the next finds themselves out on the streets has no social protection. They are expelled from the system. Paying taxes for twenty or thirty years gives them no rights. To be an Italian citizen gives no protection. The State is absent.
The real problem is not due to the laws about precarious working but the lack of work.
I have been told about a letter sent to Corrado Augias in his column "Lettere&Commenti" {Letters and Comments} and Iím publishing a summary of it. It describes a situation that is common to tens of thousands of people who first lose their job and then lose hope.
If any entrepreneur is listening, let them help this family.
ĒFrom the moment when my husband and I were spending a few days holiday with our ten year old daughter and we had to come back early because my husband suddenly lost his job, without any warning, our world fell about our ears. He had been in the job for 30 years and was 52 years old.
I am working part-time and my salary is about 500 euro. Even though I try hard, luck hasnít helped me enough to get a better wage.
My husband has replied to different job adverts and is willing to do any type of work, but nothing. We have even been to the social services to have at least some kind of financial help while waiting for a job. Among other things, the school has started again, the school fees, the utility bills, the rent, and now thereís the risk that we will be evicted. And yet we even need to eat. We have heard that with my income of 500euro, itís possible to live, by law. I challenge anyone to do that with a rent that is the same as my income.

I am overcome with sorrow and I am feeling tortured as a mother because I cannot provide the primary needs of my daughter, which is naturally my first thought.
How can the institutions be so cruel to people who suddenly find themselves having to face up to situations like this that are not their fault?
Maria Grazia Spadaro
mgarte@yahoo.it

PS: Download and distribute:: ďSchiavi ModerniĒ {Modern Slaves}. Only yesterday 20,000 copies were downloaded. That makes a total of 280,000 so far.

Comments

I have only just found this site and find it fascinating.I am in Russia at the moment on a visit to a good friend.What a great time you would have here as the corruption level makes Europe look like a kndergarten.Hope you can find time to do some research on Russian politics.Good luck

Posted by: dan hughes | September 29, 2007 08:58 PM

I have been living in italy for ten years. What strikes me the most about this system is that not even the people to the left realize that there is absolutely no welfare system or saftey net. I do not beleive that people should be protected and never lose their jobs....that creates incompetence and inefficiency and does not help the economy. However, I do believe that if for example, a woman wants to leave her husband and is a housewife (and the percentage of housewives is high) she has absolutely no assistance from the goverernment!!!! In the U.s which is ultra capatalistic.....a battered woman can leave her husband and can receive a government aid until she finds a job. Here this is impossible.
There is absolutely no help for people who are "outside the norm". My neighbor has left her husband due to abuse and she now lives in poverty with her son who has dropped out of school to work. This is too Dicksonian for me!!!!!

Posted by: sandra gregoli | September 22, 2007 10:59 PM

Finally it seems there's change in the air. The Governor of Liguria was actually punished,hitherto unheard of in the corrupted world of Italian politics, with 10 points and a substantial fine, perhaps due to the Grillo's scare? I would hope so.
BEPPE GRILLO FOR PRESIDENT!!

Posted by: nino arena | September 22, 2007 06:02 PM

Hello Beppe,
do not make jokes with the Elzheimer please!
The disease is one of the worst!
This is a warning for you!
Take my word for it!

Posted by: Rosa Nera | September 22, 2007 03:21 PM

Hope every people would be happy.

Posted by: Arthurshen | September 22, 2007 01:04 PM

Cari lettori,

ho appena letto e sottoscritto la petizione on-line:

"PER SERVIZI PUBBLICI DI ALTA QUALIT� ACCESSIBILI A TUTTI"

nel sito web della CES, http://www.petitionpublicservice.eu

Personalmente sono d.accordo con quanto richiesto con la petizione, e
penso che anche voi concorderete. Potreste dedicare un minuto a questo
argomento, consultando il sito e, eventualmente, firmare la petizione?

Tanti cari saluti,

Posted by: D. van Herk | September 22, 2007 12:57 PM

To lose one's job is in many cases a very nasty form of hard luck. Researchers have found that it's a major cause of psychological distress, as it often leads to at least temporary hardship. Yet, no adult free human being can claim an inherent right to be shielded by some omnipotent father-figure against all the odds of life. It just cannot be done in any comprehensive way, while the mere attempt to do it to some degree leads to the loss of one's freedom and responsibility, reducing people to the state of children cared for by their betters. So the increased "social protection" apparently advocated by Beppe Grillo (and Char Marcella and many others) does not seem to be really the answer.

Indeed, people do at least have a right to expect that social arrangements donít make one's hard luck even worse than it inevitably is. There is no natural law why Italy's average duration of unemployment should be many times longer than the one prevailing in, say, Britain, the Netherlands or the United States. This, I feel, is where Mr Monticelli's comments come handy. He hints at the evidence suggesting that the elements of "social protection" already introduced in Italy's labour laws (on lay-offs in particular) are among the main culprits. Economists know very well that this is in fact so. Thus, the Nanny state will not only injure your liberty: it will actually add some artificial economic hard luck to your naturally inevitable one, by building roadblocks against society's swift adaptation to the unexpected.

Yet, most Italians seem to be emotionally blind to this fact. They are, I feel, under the firm idea that those in power have a moral duty to solve their personal problems for them. It's the old slave mentality, originally bred by ancient Rome's frumentationes , whereby the Roman plebs were granted monthly distributions of free foodstuffs, and rioted viciously whenever some accident delayed such imperial largesse. Today's verbal rioting against those in power does not really look very different, at least to me.

Posted by: Mario Ferretti | September 22, 2007 11:58 AM

poor Italy
povera Italia!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ines Placca | September 22, 2007 09:07 AM

Dear Mrs. Spadaro:

I am very sorry about your situation. This is the result of 60 years of irresponsible public policy and ineptitude of our politicians and therefore of those who voted them: the Italians.

I am not talking to you now. You have an immediate urgency. This is a comment for everybody else who can act before finding himself in your situation.

Let's start to admit that "situations" like this are OUR fault, not the institutions' fault. The institutions are us, it is our social system, it is exactly what you blame for your problem: excessive social intervention.

It is unsustainable that in Italy companies such as Alitalia are kept artificially alive. The cost of Alitalia is a burden for everybody and it very irresponsible for the workers to go on strike. They make a desperate situation even worse. They should be fired on the spot.

It is unsustainable that in Italy is a gigantic endeavor to do business. If you hire somebody, you cannot lay him off (I am talking about laying-off not firing) as if the financial situation of a company is a variable independent from the workforce. I can tell you for a fact that many foreign companies do not want to invest in Italy exactly for this reason.

It is unsustainable that the Italians are born, live and die in the same place. They don't accept to move to another location in Italy, let alone abroad, to find a new job or better themselves.

I live in US and I have been laid off twice. But here I am. I moved from one state to another 3,000Km apart. I have changed 8 jobs so far in my 20 years long career and I plan to change at least as many (lay offs or not).

I don't have a social system that takes care of me even when I will retire. I have to build my pension plan and take responsibility of my savings. If I screw, I am screwed for ever and I need to work until I die: no parachute.

Have I depicted a scary picture? NO! I AM HAPPY TO LIVE HERE. Everyday is a new adventure. You don't work for somebody, you are just on the payroll. They can lay you off over-night but you can quit as well. Now the economy is good. I receive job offers every day and I don't even return phone calls from recruiters. 5 years ago was bad: I could not find a job anywhere in US.

It is better to be on a roller coaster than be taken care of and blame on somebody else.
If the Italians change their life style, everything will turn for the best, your husband will find a job and you will get a better one. Probably not where you live now, though.

I wish you luck. You will overcome this obstacle.

Posted by: Giacomo Monticelli | September 22, 2007 08:02 AM

Muy bueno Beppe!!!
Que se vayan todos , incluido Daniel Passarella.
Awante Boquita

Posted by: AntiGAYina | September 22, 2007 05:47 AM

Dear Mgarte we have a job for you working at home. We will train you to become a music promoter for www.newport-blues.us We will send you his cds to sell. Are you willing to do this kind of work? Honey Davis music was well known in Italy in the 80s and he needs a new booking agent and promoter there in Italy. Your job will be to look for gigs for him. If interested please e-mail bluesrock1@iwon.com

Posted by: Char Marcella | September 22, 2007 03:52 AM

"WILL WORK FOR FOOD"
Good evening,
Once again, from the north-american continent, this 21th day of september 2001,
this is V.Annibale, italian citizen, greeting all the bloggers, il signor B.Grillo and all the Italians who have demonstrated on V.DAY
COLORO CHE ACCUSANO GRILLO DI ANTIPOLITICA E DI MOVIMENTI CONTRO IL GOVERNO............SI SBAGLIANO!........"NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH!" IL SIGNOR BEPPE GRILLO, AL QUALE TUTTO IL POPOLO ITALIANO DEVE ESSERE RICONOSCENTE MERITA UN GRANDE APPLAUSO PER IL SUO CORAGGIO E COSI TUTTI COLORO CHE HANNO DIMOSTRATO E FIRMATO PER NUOVE LEGGI IN PARLAMENTO.....E SE QUALCUNO E' CONTRARIO, RACCOLGA ANCHE LUI 300.000 FIRME PER NON CAMBIARE LE LEGGI CHE CI SONO ORA.
Having said this, going back to my title, "work for food",...questa e' una scritta con cui, mendicanti in america, seduti per strada, cercano elemosina e lavoro.....anche solo per mangiare.
E, questa e' l'america e adesso anche l'Italia di oggi! Con il presente sistema di un orrendo e crudele Capitalismo....che permette ad alcuni gruppi di persone di arricchirsi a non finire, mentre milioni e milioni di persone e' una fatica giornaliera giusto per vivere, per avere un posto per mangiare e vivere. QUAL'E' L'ALTERNATIVA?
VE LO DICO SUBITO SUBITO: NUOVE LEGGI.....CON PERSONE AL GOVERNO ONESTE......CON MINIMUM WAGES..........AND MAXIMUM WAGES! I MINIMUM WAGES CHE SONO STATI ADOTTATI, CHE GARANTISCE AD UN LAVORATORE UNA MINIMA PAGA ORARIA E' PIU' CHE GIUSTA..........MA IL MASSIMO CHE UNA PERSONA PUO' GUADAGNARE E' ANCORA NON STABILITO E PERMETTE A CHIUNQUE DI COMPERARSI ANCHE TUTTA UNA CITTA E TERRENI IMMENSI E COSTRINGERE MILIONI DI PERSONE A PAGARE LA RENDITA PER VIVERE SU QUESTI TERRENI DI CUI LORO SI SONO IMPADRONITI. OGGI, CI SERVONO NUOVI SISTEMI DI GOVERNO.........E NON CI SERVONO NE SISTEMI DEMOCRATICI, REPUBLICANI, COMUNISTI O FASCISTI O SOCIALISTI O COME LI SI VOGLIANO CHIAMARE. IL SERVIZIO MILITARE, IN ITALIA
AIUTEREBBE ANCHE I LAVAVETRI CON 3 PASTI AL GIORNO E UN POSTO PER DORMIRE, E IMPIEGHEREBBE I PRECARI DI CUI TANTO SI PARLA, COME VEDO IN ITALIA
E PIU' L'ESPULSIONE DEI MIGRANTI ZINGARI E TUTTI I STRANIERI DAL NOSTRO PAESE....AIUTEREBBE AD IMPIEGARE E AUN POSTO DI LAVORO A PARECCHI DISOCCUPATI. E, COSI, SE ADESSO IN ITALIA CI SONO MOLTI DISOCCUPATI, ADESSO LO SAPETE PERCHE' E COME RISOLVERE IL PROBLEMA....E SUBITO! E QUESTO ANCHE GRAZIE AL SIGNOR GRILLO PER LA RACCOLTA DI 300.000 FIRME PER NUOVE LEGGI AL PARLAMENTO. (annval59@netscape.net) (signor Giuseppe,B.Grillo, se ci sei batti un colpo, non tanto forte che io vi sento anche a distanza di 9000 km. dall'Italia) Arrivederci e ora provo a spedire la mia foto by email)

Posted by: V.Annibale | September 22, 2007 02:27 AM

Bebbe, Ho letto casualmente il testamento di Benito Mussolini. ci sono frasi li dentro sui lavoratori che sono toccanti. Oggi "liberi" dalla "dittatura" ne abbiamo un altra della stessa Teocrazia della quale Ben voleva la sua dissociazione.

"V" ai nostri dipendenti statali al governo anche da hong kong.

Posted by: zagorfly | September 22, 2007 12:22 AM

conosco suo site solo da poco...
complimenti!
era ora che qualcuno commenta liberamente e senza preconcetti la classe politica.

Posted by: peter janus | September 21, 2007 10:21 PM

the best.forza beppe glillo.....umorismos.splinder.com

Posted by: michele73 | September 21, 2007 09:16 PM

i'm with you all the way, Beppe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fuck off all the politions..

Posted by: marcus haly | September 21, 2007 08:34 PM

BEPPE GRILLO FOR PRESIDENT!

Posted by: nini arena | September 21, 2007 07:51 PM

Opino que un salario mensual de quinientos euros es una miseria y no es posible vivir con esa cantidad. www.antoniolarrosa.com (escritor muy malo)

Posted by: Antonio Larrosa Diaz | September 21, 2007 06:55 PM