Temporary Merry Christmas

Babbo_Natale_precario.jpg
photo by hape_gera

Hey Guys, please send me the odd positive letter as well! Every morning, after having read your accounts, I feel somewhat led to commit suicide. For this very reason, today I have decided to make a change and to publish an e-mail I sent in by Francesco. He is a fortunate, 30-year old guy who works as a teacher, earns a salary of 1,172 Euro for no less than nine months of each year, and is paid by the State with only a the odd month of delay. He is just a big baby, spoilt rotten by his mother. Good luck to he that can afford to live like that.
Temporary work is fast becoming the norm, an epidemic, and soon the majority of Italians will be employed on a temporary basis. The few that are still employed on a permanent basis will be seen as profiteers, shoo-ins, or exploiters of the population.

Download the book entitled "Schiavi Moderni" (Modern slaves), as it makes ideal reading for a Temporary Merry Christmas.

Dear Beppe,
My name is Francesco, I am 30 years of age and work as High School literature professor. I have Degree in Classical Arts and I trained to become a literature and Latin teacher immediately after completing my degree. For the past three years I have been a fully qualified lecturer, to all intents and purposes.
At the time of our Practical Training (the notorious SSIS), we were told that we would have to endure a certain period of temporary appointment, or "gavetta" (working your way up) as my colleagues call it. Difficult years in other words, years of replacement teaching, of odd hours of work here and there, of ridiculous salaries and uncertain posts.
I have not received a single cent since June. After the end of the school year, I was obliged to make do during the summer, hoping to receive new calls for work in September.
At the beginning of the new school year, Minister Fioroni appeared to come to our aid, establishing that, in the case of long-term temporary posts, namely those lasting for an entire year, the Treasury Ministry would be responsible for paying the salaries, rather than the High Schools’ funds. This was meant to ensure that all the lecturers were paid regularly and would no longer have to wait five or six months for their money. At least in theory, I should be one of the beneficiaries of this new directive, and I use the term “should”: I am currently working at a High School, with an annual contract, I have more than one hundred students, I travel 80Km to work and back each day, not to mention the meetings, interviews and class counselling, overtime, school trips and educational help-desk duties.
To say nothing of the salary. At the end of November I received my pay for October: 1,172 Euro. Nothing more since then. Some of my younger colleagues have not been paid since September. I am fortunate to be a true “big baby”. I still live at home with my mother, who at least loans me money for petrol while I wait to get paid.
It is a popular belief that teachers do not work hard enough and that we are lazy, good-for-nothings: eighteen-hour working weeks are seen as a real luxury. I am personally responsible for more than one hundred students. Do you honestly believe that eighteen hours per week leave me enough time to manage, organise and prepare the necessary class work? These hours are doubled at home. Piles of homework to mark, lessons to prepare and tests to draw up. They appoint us in September and terminate our services in mid-June, a total of nine months of salary. We are not entitled to get sick, nor to take any days off.
I worked hard at university in order to get my degree as quickly as possible and was then immediately accepted to do my two-year teaching qualification, which I completed successfully, and yet, I am still obliged to borrow petrol money from my mother.
Dear Beppe, we have no certainty of receiving a salary at the end of the month, we are constantly juggling loans and bank overdrafts and we are forced to accept help from our parents. This notwithstanding, we are not classified as temporary workers to all intents and purposes, we are not “Modern-day Slaves”, we do not work in the call centres or pieceworkers: we are lecturers and, as such, we should not complain. And yet, we too cannot get a home mortgage, nor can we even remotely think about starting a family.
Unfortunately, books are not edible. Regards.” Francesco

Comments

Self-trust is the essence of heroism

Posted by: Movieplanet | April 11, 2008 10:20 AM

Merry Christmas everyone and I hope it finds you well. See http://www.virtualposy.com/Congratulation.aspx?id=4796ace3-c85a-482f-b076-6dd0b9f5b17c

Posted by: hape_gera | December 25, 2007 08:09 PM

Dear,Friend
Merry christmas Poems vidio and alot of things injoy it.
it's more popular.
Please visit for meore Detail

Posted by: singh | December 25, 2007 10:45 AM

Nice image and a nice read. I will visit again

Dale

Posted by: Dale Benson | December 20, 2007 10:54 AM

If you are ready not to look anymore into the mirror you can:
-run after a priest and became member of opus dei
you will have excellent chances,
-became free mason
-take the membership of any post christian
democratic party
-dress blue jackets and ties and support in
idolatric way Master Silvio
If you still like to watch to your face in the mirror every morning, do like me, send to hell
this f.....g nation with its f.....g people
and run away.
Soon the crude will reach 200 usd/barrel,the euro
will reach 1.7 usd, the pressure of the cheap
food and basic goods from the dollar zone will
break the protective policy of EU, italian speculators will be their bridge, thousands of
small companies will be bankrupted.
The prime minister will be, anyhow, very busy
to discuss the review of the electyion law,
sack all the opposition supporters from pubic
administration and invent how to formally cancell
one small tax and ,at the same time increase all the others.
May be that all ex'68 boys have to go back to
our home-country and shacke it a little bit!

Posted by: maurizio confalonieri | December 18, 2007 06:31 PM

Great site

Posted by: Light19 | December 18, 2007 04:35 PM

CRISI SOCIALE
(che era prevedibile)

La “pazzia sociale italiana”, la quale viene anche da una confusione ideologico/mentale, si puo’ capire meglio partendo da alcuni quesiti attualissimi.

1. Perché nel Paese più corrotto della West U.E. non esiste una strategia di lotta alla corruzione ?
2. Perché, vista la chiarissima incapacità delle gestioni pubbliche, non si indaga seriamente sulle cause scatenanti ? (la mia indagine è decennale, la ho fatta dall’Europa).
3. Perché, vista la frequenza dei fallimenti nelle discussioni parlamentari, nelle larghe riunioni italiane (in Europa è diverso), non ci si chiede “perché l’incapacità italiana di raggiungere il consenso?”;
4. Perché nessuno scopre l’evidenza ?:
- che un Paese con mentalità da sottosviluppo non puo’ far funzionare la società e quindi non puo’ sostenere lo sviluppo economico;
- che un Paese senza bastoni e senza carote, senza valori positivi di riferimento, ma permeato di lassismo, non puo’ stare in piedi.

Solo se partiamo da tali quesiti, si potrà capire la crisi sociale italiana. Che é tanto più grave in quanto nessuno esamina il problema sociale. Ma attenzione….potreste farvi aiutare dalle testimonianze degli espatriati. In tal caso si spererebbe che il Titanic che viaggia nella notte evitasse l’iceberg...

Antonio Greco
(analista delle cause)
angremi@orange.fr

PAESE SERIO

Il fenomeno complicato delle recenti evoluzioni sociali italiane.

I giovani non trovano lavoro. Il potere d’ acquisto sembra a rischio. Gli imprenditori non sono ottimisti. Chi vuole un lavoro é spinto ad emigrare.

Mi sembra che principi di base semplici, nel mercato globale, dovrebbero valere anche per il Bel Paese:

- chi non é efficiente rischia di non vendere a lungo;
- una società malata non puo’ sostenere un’ economia vigorosa, specie se le sue malattie più evidenti sono le inefficienze;
- un Paese serio che ha un problema, si guarda allo specchio, realismo aiutando. Per individuare i propri GAPs, nei riguardi della parte seria della U.E.. Per poi fare le correzioni necessarie.

Cosa significa un Paese serio ? Io credo che si possa chiamare serio un Paese che ha realismo, senso degli interessi primari nazionali, maturità e riflessione lucida. E che sappia gestirsi , sulla base di un chiaro, indiscusso, Patto Sociale.

Vivo a Parigi, non so se il Bel Paese oggi é un Paese serio. Vorrei qualche opinione in merito. E’possibile ?

Grazie e saluti dalla Francia (che ha i suoi problemi, ma dove le regole, essendo chiare, sono rispettate).

Antonio Greco

Posted by: Antonio Greco | December 18, 2007 03:36 PM

As part of America's 'lost generation' of scholars - tens of thousands who obtained graduate degrees in the liberal arts and humanities in the early 1970s at the time the academic job market dried up - I can certainly sympathize with Francesco's situation. In the best of all possible worlds, I would be teaching intellectual history and mathematical economics at a university, but it was not to be.

No one like adversity, but the most important thing is how you react to it, and the extent to which you take advantage of opportunities. While there must be some Americans who, having obtained degrees similar to yours, persist in trying to teach when they cannot make a living at it, most of us do not have that luxury. Typically, we simply look for other fields of work in which we can be successful and get on with our lives.

I love Italy, but in many respects, it seems to me little has changed in Italians' worldview since the late 19th century, when so many Italians voted with their feet and emigrated to the Americas - both North and South, or from the 18th century, when Northern Italian intellectuals looked to the Austrians(!!) as bringing modern ideas of administration and efficiency.

Look to yourself, Francesco. If you can't get a job teaching, learn something else. Finance, law, whatever will enable you to make your living as a free professional. If you can't do it in Italy, go abroad! Unlike 100 years ago, working abroad doesn't mean abandoning home, family and friends.

Italians are celebrated for creativity in design and the arts - use that creativity to make the country work!

Posted by: Carlo Perelli-Minetti | December 18, 2007 03:04 PM

Francesco, it looks as if you've made three terrible mistakes (not necessarily in order of magnitude):

1) you weren't born to a rich family;
2) you've failed to meet the "right" people; and 3) you stayed in Italy after having completed your studies.

Despite your current predicament, you can rest assured that the Italian government is very thankful for your valuable services and realizes that as a student of literature, you must not dwell on material issues, but must take solace in the literary works of the great Italian authors of the distant past who extolled the virtues of personal principle and integrity over the vulgar love of money.

Posted by: Cedric Stableford | December 18, 2007 11:58 AM