Public debt, private profits

V2-day_Piroso.jpg

This Government is what it is. It carries on regardless while we tighten our belts. But it does so for a good reason, namely to restore the Italian economy. We become poorer in the hope of a better future, and the results are plain to see, this we cannot deny. Our economy is much like the bill at a restaurant in that we always hope that someone else will pay. Every government leaves the bill for the subsequent Government and, sooner or later, payment becomes due.
The government’s optimism with regard to our economy is not shared by the Heritage Foundation’s annual Report on economic freedom.
Italy is in 64th place, out of 157 countries assessed, and has dropped down four positions in the ratings since 2006. The Report assesses the various Countries in terms of the freedom to do business in the country, as well as its financial and taxation systems. It also assesses the level of corruption in the country, as well as government interference in the marketplace. The fact that Italy is preceded in the ratings by Botswana (36), or immediately followed by Madagascar (65), is no longer a newsworthy fact. It does, however, make one realise that almost all of the more economically free countries are to be found in Europe. And that is precisely where we are. We are the exception. Guinea-Bissau (148) can justify its position, after all, it is situated in Africa. How, instead, can Italy justify its lowly position? What does Europe mean to us? A spiritual home? A way for us to believe that we are first-world citizens rather than third-world?
Economic freedom is closely linked to freedom of information. Where one of these is absent, so is the other. It is no coincidence that our economy has been going to the dogs for the past twenty years, while information has been held hostage by certain business groupings and political parties, almost all of which are living as parasites on State concessions.
Everything is going well. In October, our level of public debt hit a new record of 1,629.7 billion Euro. A bottomless pit, an upside down Everest. Our taxes are used to pay the interest charges on the public debt instead of being put towards development. But don’t worry, the important thing is the ratio of public debt to GDP. The very same GDP for which the Banca d’Italia revised its growth predictions for 2008, down from 1.7% to 1%. Ask yourself this question: how much longer can the level of public debt continue to rise? Where is the breaking point? And what then will become of your savings?

Comments

http://www.petatv. com/tvpopup/ video.asp? video=fur_ farm&Player=wm&speed=med

fate qualcosa!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: sabina barta | January 23, 2008 06:47 PM

great set of comments, people!

i agree with many of the opinions so well expressed here..

italians need to hear some hard truths, so to feel the indignation that will fuel change, and the best way to get them to listen is with that most ancient of medicines, a good laugh!

relax them with a funny act, then whack them with the goodies.

so beppe, you rock! keep it up, and i bet the comments will continue to grow and improve to match your commitment and passion.

we love you and are rooting for you on all the issues you mention, and some you haven't yet!

like...why in the country that produced verdi and vivaldi and so many more musical geniuses, has a climate for young musicians that does not nurture them and indeed makes it extremely difficult to perform and make a living, except for a brief period during the summer/festa/tourist season, compared to other countries in europe?.

Posted by: michael | January 22, 2008 03:42 AM

Also, let's not overlook that America is waging a criminal war not because of lethargic, inept government, but because of the power of private corporations who benefit from the military industrial complex so much as to buy them far too much control in the offices of government.

Remember that Eisenhower, a man who along with the allies had faced Hitler and Japan, (and a Republican even) said that the military industrial complex is a power so great as the world has never known, and must be guarded against diligently. setting them loose to have more influence is not the answer to corruption - in fact the opposite.

To echo a similar sentiment to the Catch-22 quote, I will say that too much power and success is worse than too little.

Though of course it is always good to try to find a better balance, what that "balance" looks like can change suddenly and drastically without notice.

Posted by: Jason Johnson | January 21, 2008 11:43 PM

Well, I think I can appreciate the points raised in response to my comments. I only want to speak about what I know, being American. I don't want to try to tell Italians how they should try to improve their country.

However, since their was mention of some confusion caused by my comments, I want to add some thoughts.

1) while America has some very fine qualities, she is not on the rise, while Europe is. I am sure that much can be learned from America's successes, but I want to stress that there is more to be learned from her struggles and failures.

2) There is a Native American phrase which says something like this: "when walking the Good Red Road (the path of one's life), it is good to pick up all the stones you see that are to your liking to see what they may be about. However, one must put down those stones that are seen to be bad, or turn bad in the end." This is wise in itself, but when it comes to America, it is helpful to consider that many of the problems she has are only just now becoming understood as being very harmful in the long run. In fact, many problems are not even fully understood yet - and certainly not easy to see from the outside, or even by many on the inside.

3) Finally, I can tell you with certainty that Italy and America share a lot of bad aspects. But it would be a tragedy if Italy lost any of her good aspects while trying to follow some ideal of the Americans.

Much of what makes America truly great has been made weaker since the 1960's - hopefully only temporarily. The '80s and '90s were simply consumed with an imbalance of consumerism and greed that allowed corporations to have too much power and the people to have too little. It says something when a lot of former organized crime members quit the American mafia to run "legitimate" businesses - and don't have to accept lower profits.

To say it plainly: privatization is not a cure. It only makes it even harder to try to hold those with the power accountable. At least if they are a politician you know where to find them and how to deal with that argument. Corporate presidents and board members and lobbyists are chameleons who use their "rights" as citizens to get away with what amounts to murder.

And I know that many of the worst corporations are multi-nationals, but the capital of their whole ideology is America, regardless of what their mailing address is.

Posted by: Jason Johnson | January 21, 2008 11:24 PM

Italian politics isn't much worse than the rest of Europe, just different. More honest in it's display actually, in my opinion. If i would take the time for it i could start citing enough examples that show how decrepit EU politics is.. "accidents" where status quo challenging new politicians die, e.g. in Holland or Portugal. Or the usual abuse of the bureaucratic system that not recognizes personal responsibility.. Or power failures of the electric grid when support for nuclear power sources is tried to make publicly acceptable.
it's always at the expense of "the little man". That is the price paid by such system. The question than becomes, do you want such a system ? i don't.

The painful thing is that compared to Italians in general it is so incredibly incompetent and inefficient. The contrast is so apparent and fundamentally ridiculous that i wonder why nobody questions beyond the details and comes up with alternatives for a system which has for long been dead and buried.

For example, look at Pirelli, they are doing very well. They're innovating very rapidly and are dominating several markets throughout the pax mediterranea.

Does Italy still need a government ?

Posted by: Bella Figura | January 21, 2008 10:45 PM

Hello everyone,
Mr.Bella Figura and Jason Johnson duly noted your humor (Always welcome!) while the US expatriated point of view lives me some doubts.
While I appreciate the humor very much needed thank you, Jason comment arouses my perplexity and incredulity.
My situation is exactly opposite of Mr. Jason, I am born and raised Italian and expatriated to the US.
Looking back at Italy while appreciating a vibrant, responsive, flexible and last but not least Accountable Social System
I do not advocate one System over any other, although when a System is so far separated from The Speed of Life each and every Citizen feels on his/her skin, I have to wonder.
When Political Representatives watch the Country unravel beneath their eye, and do not react, I have to wonder.
When Institutions reaction time is in the Generations I have to wonder.
When in real time, real life Company Corporation Government move Billions, creates thousand of Jobs, make or break Agreements and contracts, these Incompetence and Ignorance, I have to wonder.
These Country Managers, have sworn to serve the Country, hopefully they were selected because capable, knowledgeable and competent, and with these results, I have to wonder.
When called upon justifying their actions, each and every one refuses to accept their responsibility to the Institution and the Country, I have to wonder.
Although in the US the system is radically different, Ministry work and perform regardless of who is in power, and if any Minister or Agency have to justify their functionality otherwise they are history (The person in charge obviously!)
Far from perfect is a good start, while in Italy the slippery slope of Responsibility is always dumping on the little guy at the bottom, that pays a shit of taxes and in return get dumped on by these inflated egotistical maniacs incapable of doing anything.
Did I miss something, oh yes the school system you Mr. Jason mentioned, I do agree up to secondary level Europe and Italian Public school are more comprehensive and all around better, although after the mandatory years are done is a dismal failure.
If you have kids you will experience first hand what I mean, and when your posterity will graduate from any Italian University or Third Level school system, let me know what kind Credibility an Italian Diploma or Degree holds in the World Market.
The future looks bright wear very dark shades,
Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 21, 2008 05:21 PM

As a famous Dutch writer would usually answer questions about politics :"It's better to have a government of thieves than a government of killers."

The mere fact that corruption is so much in the picture in Italy is an incredible sign of progress. Were people as directly involved, say, 30 years ago ?

Of course one should not fight someone else's battle, and focus on improving what's there. There's this interesting concept in Daoism, called Yongchun. Whilst going with the flow, just slightly improving it a little at a time, one can reach a state of eternal springtime.
Easy does it.

Maybe some Catch 22 gives insight...

"America," he said, "will lose the war. And Italy will win it"
"America is the strongest and most prosperous nation on earth," Nately informed him with lofty fervor and dignity. "And the American fighting man is second to none."
"Exactly," agreed the old man pleasantly, with a hint of taunting amusement. "Italy, on the other hand, is one of the least prosperous nations on earth. And the Italian fighting man is probably second to all. And that's exactly why my country is doing so well in this war while your country is doing so poorly."
Nately guffawed with surprise, then blushed apologetically for his impoliteness. "I'm sorry I laughed at you," he said sincerely, and he continued in a tone of respectful condescension. "But Italy was occupied by the Germans and is now being occupied by us. You don't call that doing very well, do you?"
"But of course I do," exclaimed the old man cheerfully. "The Germans are being driven out, and we are still here. In a few years you will be gone, too, and we will still be here. You see, Italy is really a very poor and weak country, and that's what makes us so strong. Italian soldiers are not dying any more. But American and German soldiers are. I call that doing extremely well. Yes, I am quite certain that Italy will survive this war and still be in existence long after your own country has been destroyed."
Nately could scarcely believe his ears. He had never heard such shocking blasphemies before, and he wondered with instinctive logic why G-men did not appear to lock the traitorous old man up. "America is not going to be destroyed " he shouted passionately.
"Never?" prodded the old man softly. "Well..." Nately faltered. The old man laughed indulgently, holding in check a deeper, more explosive delight. His goading remained gentle. "Rome was destroyed, Greece was destroyed, Persia was destroyed, Spain was destroyed. All great countries are destroyed. Why not yours? How much longer do you really think your own country will last? Forever? Keep in mind that the earth itself is destined to be destroyed by the sun in twenty-five million years or so."
Nately squirmed uncomfortably. "Well, forever is a long time, I guess."
"A million years?" persisted the jeering old man with keen, sadistic zest. "A half million? The frog is almost five hundred million years old. Could you really say with much certainty that America, with all its strength and prosperity, with its fighting man that is second to none, and with its standard of living that is the highest in the world, will last as long as... the frog?"
"Well, frankly, I don't know how long America is going to last," he proceeded dauntlessly. "I suppose we can't last forever if the world itself is going to be destroyed some day. But I do know that we're going to survive and triumph for a long, long time."
"For how long?" mocked the profane old man with a gleam of malicious elation. "Not even as long as the frog ?"
"Much longer than you or me," Nately blurted out lamely.
"Oh, is that all? That won't be very much longer then, considering that you're so gullible and brave and that I am already such an old, old man."
"How old are you ?" Nately asked, growing intrigued and charmed with the old man in spite of himself.
"A hundred and seven." The old man chuckled heartily at Nately's look of chagrin. "I see you don't believe that either."
"I don't believe anything you tell me," Nately replied, with a bashful mitigating smile. "The only thing I do believe is that America is going to win the war."
"You put so much stock in winning wars," the grubby iniquitous old man scoffed. "The real trick lies in losing wars, in knowing which wars can be lost, Italy has been losing wars for centuries, and just see how splendidly we've done nonetheless. France wins wars and is in a continual state of crisis. Germany loses and prospers. Look at our own recent history. Italy won a war in Ethiopia and promptly stumbled into serious trouble. Victory gave us such insane delusions of grandeur that we helped start a world war we hadn't a chance of winning. But now that we are losing again, everything has taken a turn for the better, and we will certainly come out on top again if we succeed in being defeated."
Nately gaped at him in undisguised befuddlement. "Now I really don't understand what you're saying. You talk like a madman."
"But I live like a sane one. I was a fascist when Mussolini was on top, and I am an antifascist now that he has been deposed. I was fanatically pro-German when the Germans were here to protect us against the Americans, and now that the Americans are here to protect us against the Germans I am fanatically pro-American. I can assure you, my outraged young friend"- the old man's knowing, disdainful eyes shone even more effervescently as Nately's stuttering dismay increased-"that you and your country will have a no more loyal partisan in Italy than me-but only as long as you remain in Italy. "
"But," lately cried out in disbelief, "you're a turncoat! A time-server! A shameful, unscrupulous opportunist!"
"I am a hundred and seven years old," the old man reminded him suavely.
"Don't you have any principles?"
"Of course not."
"No morality?"
"Oh, I am a very moral man," the villainous old man assured him with satiric seriousness, stroking the bare hip of a buxom black-haired girl with pretty dimples who had stretched herself out seductively on the other arm of his chair. He grinned at Nately sarcastically as he sat between both naked girls in smug and threadbare splendor, with a sovereign hand on each.
"I can't believe it," Nately remarked grudgingly, trying stubbornly not to watch him in relationship to the girls. "I simply can't believe it."
"But it's all perfectly true. When the Germans marched into the city, I danced in the streets like a youthful ballerina and shouted, 'Heil Hitler!' until my lungs were hoarse. I even waved a small Nazi flag that I had snatched away from a beautiful little girl while her mother was looking the other way. When the Germans left the city, I rushed out to welcome the Americans with a bottle of excellent brandy and a basket of flowers. The brandy was for myself, of course, and the flowers were to sprinkle upon our liberators. There was a very stiff and stuffy old major riding in the first car, and I bit him squarely in the eye with a red rose. A marvelous shot! You should have seen him wince."
Nately gasped and was on his feet with amazement, the blood draining from his cheeks.
"Major - de Coverley!" he cried.
"Do you know him?" inquired the old man with delight. "What a charming coincidence !"
Nately was too astounded even to hear him. "So you' re the one who wounded Major - de Coverley!" he exclaimed in horrified indignation. "How could you do such a thing?"
The fiendish old man was unperturbed. "How could I resist, yon mean. You should have seen the arrogant old bore, sitting there so sternly in that car like the Almighty Himself, with his big, rigid head and his foolish, solemn face. What a tempting target he made! I got him in the eye with an American Beauty rose. I thought that was most appropriate. Don't you?"
"That was a terrible thing to do!" Nately shouted at him reproachfully. "A vicious and criminal thing! Major - de Coverley is our squadron executive officer!"
"Is he?" teased the unregenerate old man, pinching his pointy jaw gravely in a parody of repentance. "In that case, you must give me credit for being impartial. When the Germans rode in, I almost stabbed a robust young Oberleutnant to death with a sprig of edelweiss."
Nately was appalled and bewildered by the abominable old man's inability to perceive the enormity of his offense. "Don't you realize what you've done?" he scolded vehemently. "Major - de Coverley is a noble and wonderful person, and everyone admires him. "
"He's a silly old fool who really has no right acting like a silly young fool. Where is he today? Dead?"
Nately answered softly with somber awe. "Nobody knows. He seems to have disappeared."
"You see? Imagine a man his age risking what little life he has left for something so absurd as a country."
Nately was instantly up in arms again. "There is nothing so absurd about risking your life for your country!" he declared.
"Isn't there?" asked the old man. "What is a country? A country is a piece of land surrounded on all sides by boundaries, usually unnatural. Englishmen are dying for England, Americans are dying for America, Germans are dying for Germany, Russians are dying for Russia. There are now fifty or sixty countries fighting in this war. Surely so many countries can't all be worth dying for."
"Anything worth living for," said Nately, "is worth dying for."
"And anything worth dying for," answered the sacrilegious old man, "is certainly worth living for. You know, you're such a pure and naive young man that I almost feel sorry for you. How old are you? Twenty-five? Twenty-six?"
"Nineteen," said Nately. "I'll be twenty in January."
"If you live." The old man shook his head, wearing, for a moment, the same touchy, meditating frown of the fretful and disapproving old woman. "They are going to kill you if you don't watch out, and I can see now that you are not going to watch out. Why don't you use some sense and try to be more like me? You might live to be a hundred and seven, too."
"Because it's better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees," Nately retorted with triumphant and lofty conviction. "I guess you've heard that saying before."
"Yes, I certainly have," mused the treacherous old man, smiling again. "But I'm afraid you have it backward. It is better to live on one's feet than die on one's knees. That is the way the saying goes."
"Are you sure?" Nately asked with sober confusion. "It seems to makemore sense my way."
"No, it makes more sense my way. Ask your friends."

Posted by: Bella Figura | January 21, 2008 01:12 PM

I am an American living in Italy for the last few years, having married a native Italian. I understand the concerns voiced here. But I felt I really needed to offer that there is a need for some caution.

First, using any statistic from the Heritage Foundation is highly suspect, and suspicious.

Second, America has experienced a period that has little comparison in history. Trying to emulate their ways is dangerous for two reasons: A) if you do not enjoy the very good fortune they have/had of all that land and natural resources, then any emulation has to be adjusted accordingly. If you don't have 300 million people and tons of free raw materials, then the model breaks down quickly; B) America will do well in the future - but the heyday of being the super power economic engine and global leader in trade and industry is over. For a while there will be much pain and strain and the U.S. goes through some serious growing pains, learning to adjust to being but one of the biggest players on the global market - instead of being the only biggest.

Times have changed and are changing. America will be forced for the first time really, to deal with problems that have forced much of the rest of the world to be less consumptive and wasteful.

America is great and will be great. But not as the empire it has been.

I for one am thankful. Because it will allow the country to become a true leader and world citizen in dealing with the problems that face us all.

Don't try to emulate the States' ways. They are as old as the Italian political system that this site complains about. You really think that the leaders in the U.S. are young cool hipsters?? Not at all. They are there - but they are but one demographic. The real power lies in the hands of a very very few, who are as messed up as any Italian or European elite.

The difference is, and you should be careful of not losing sight of this, is that Italy and Europe have managed to avoid one major problem that America is just now starting to realize: education. Public education prior to higher university degrees in the States is pathetic compared to the EU and Italy. Pathetic. And the reason is, that people and places like the Heritage Foundation are so in love with lowering taxes that they have been assaulting education as a public service for decades. The result is that America, while still very good, are no longer the leaders in industries and fields they once were.

The American people are learning this. As they are also learning that everyone needs to have access to fair health care.

Europe and Italy are far ahead in these areas. And the fact that so many people in Italy and the EU are so active, including young people, marching in the streets to be heard on whatever issues they feel are important, is another sign that emulating America should be avoided. America as a whole is far too complacent. We have allowed two presidential elections to ignore serious flaws that could have changed the outcome. This is a crisis in democracy. But it was swept under the carpet. I don't see this it Italy or the EU. I see an active populace, from Rifondazione to Beppe...

In general what I am trying to say is that you have a head start in dealing with many of the problems that America is just getting around to, because they have been so busy making money they didn't have time or care to.

Don't overlook this in trying to "fix" the problems here.

Don't get so caught up in "youth", as America has, that history is no longer learned from like it should be.

You want to change the world, starting with your own Italia? Fantastico!

Then while you are busy railing against the "dinosaurs" - realize that the American Empire will soon be one too.

Create some new improvements instead.

In bocca al lupo.

Posted by: Jason Johnson | January 21, 2008 11:55 AM

Hi Louis,

The thing is that in other countries "furbi" is referenced too by the word "smart". So, if you're *smart* in Holland or the UK, it means that you're "furbi".
I don't regard Italian politicians as mega-furbi, if they were so good, why are they continuously screwing it up for themselves ? The problem with Italian politics is that it has been a mess for so long, that no-one in their right mind has been wanting to be part of it for a generation or two, so it attracts mediocre brownnosers.
Of course we should not trust a government, that is a major underlying tendency in the US constitution. The government of today is the mafia of yesterday..
It is an absurdity to demand more "decent" rules while you actually don't want a government at all. You don't want rules, you want service. A government should serve but not rule.
Besides, taking mega-furbizia to the extreme, sheer honesty and action arises. Because, what is more 'slick' then to, e.g. actually make Malpensa work so that people admire you and ask you to do other high-profile jobs ?

As far as stealing goes, as a rule i don't work in the UK, because, for me, the backstabbing attitude is horrific. Of course i don't prefer the stealing attitude, but i am saying that most Italians are too self-indulged to actually notice someone else. Trying so much to make an impression, so concerned with what they themselves are actually doing that i can bring a pink elephant into the room, French-kiss it and maybe they'll notice.. although likely not. Even if they do the principle of bella figura stands in the way of saying anything about it. Because when we bypass this boyish charade of "furbi", i always find the nicest, softest, most friendly, intelligent and creative people i have the pleasure to know. Which is why i moved to Italy in the first place..

The reason the country is going so bad is that since 1992 ( ..or maybe since the Marshal Help plan.. ) the government has been getting more power than it should rightfully get, as well as it can handle. In Italy a promise is just a promise, and a man's word is just a sequence of characters.. this is because people are too understanding and not unreasonable enough to hold someone else to a promise.
People in Italy are just too damn nice and decent to actually kick the government's butt when it so much deserves it. A government so mediocre it is insulting. And no, you don't want *another* government, you want to stop playing a game that you're not defining, you want no government at all.

Posted by: Bella Figura | January 21, 2008 10:05 AM

Bella Figura, Maybe I read you wrong, but are you criticizing Italians for not stealing ideas? Are you saying that stealing is a good trait to have or are you being sarcastic? Stealing, whether one steals ideas or a car or whatever, it's never nice. For argument sake I would like to make a point: regardless whether Italians steal ideas or not,they do consider themselves "furbi." To be sure,and depending on how the word is being used, it could have positive meanings However, in Italy, it's most often used with the ablility to screw your neighbor, tourists, the system or the electorate. In Italy, I met a lot of great, talented people. (Yeah, they're still around.) But I also noticed that most people (most, not all) in positions of authority regard themselves endowed with much "furbizia" so that to be a politician one must be mega-endowed with "furbizia" -which they do seem to be. Don't they?

Posted by: Louis Pacella | January 21, 2008 01:32 AM

People, I'm worried, I'm really worried about the path taken by our Country! There's a sort of denial of facts, from the italian politic's class, that is almost terryfing, if this would be left go on. Italy's public debt is growing day after day and the government is asking us for sacrifices that we can't carry on. Did you notice that the so-called middle class is slowly disappearing? Soon we will have just two social classes: rich and poor! But I have never seen a country substained by the rich class (dominated, surely!). So should the poor class hold the weight of this Country? An ulterior taxation is not the answer if we don't want to stop italian economy for good. What we need, in my opinion, is a more conscius political class, regardless color or ideas, also we need to deeply change this political laws system if we want that something would works. The problem is, of course, more complex than these few words but I just wanted to throw here my two cents...

Posted by: Anfi | January 20, 2008 06:05 PM

Hello folks,
I know, I am repetitive but I can’t help myself, Italian Society is what it is today where the Rule of Law doesn’t exist and is not Respected.
There must be Justice!
The Italian Justice System is a sham!
Without the threat of Penalties and Consequences, people will keep on doing exactly what is happening now in Italy.
Is called Jungle Anarchy, the Big Guns (Usually Politicians and Wealthy Persons!) they do what is in their interest, regardless of Laws or Proper Behavior.
Haven’t you folks realize it, Italian Justice is laughable at best and a charade at worst.
Read their lips “Fuck You, sue me if you can!”
The future looks bright wear shades
Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 20, 2008 01:28 PM

Hello folks,
In any Country, in any Business, in any School or University or School of Business the first thing they will teach you is the following:
1) Expenses have to be less than Income after Taxes!
2) 101 of Business: No profit, No Business!
Now back down to Italian Soil, what purpose has a Government that since the beginning of the Republic looses your money?
Where is the reason of Existence of an Institution if it never worked correctly?
The Millions of People working for an Institution constantly and consistently wasting your Taxes?
They say this is Democracy?
Italians need them because?
Without them what would happen?
The future looks bright wear dark shades.
Thanks

Posted by: Giacomo Chiametti | January 20, 2008 01:16 PM

To answer Bella Figura, I agree completely. I was born to Italian parents in Australia but have been in Italy for many years and I still don't understand the majority of Italians here! Not all of them I mean. I think that maybe we can blame the school system for not teaching basics like drumming into children that they must respect one another and not try to cheat one another!
It's obviously the politcal system that are the first not to do the above! As soon as someone becomes elected, it seems to give him or her the right to do whatever he or she wants.
I was in New York in December and having a coffee in Starbucks! Do you know that the only English word on the menu was 'Tea'. They don't even write milk anymore but 'Latte'
How can it be that the Italian creativity and made in italy is everywhere? And yet our politicians and many of our state managers, headmasters anyone to do with the state are so incompetent?

Posted by: Grace | January 20, 2008 10:16 AM

For me, besides being amazed of such figures while in Holland and Switzerland bribes are tax-deductible, the most incomprehensible thing in Italy is that fact that no-one steals any good ideas.. Having directly worked with people of roughly 30 different nationalities, those from the top of above list do appreciate a good idea. If they can see the business value of it, or the progress in their career, they steal it and try to cover that up, by getting you off a project, either by side-ways promotion or just a hate-campaign, or most often they just wait it out, or whatever. But they do appreciate a good idea. And this can be used to progress when learning this game, by giving a little and taking a little.
Not so in Italy... Good ideas, bad ideas, all is ignored. What is causing that ? Why is the country where most of western culture originates from, modern day surgical tools, amazing mathematical breakthroughs, the country of many DaVinci's, where the first car was invented around 1600, where the Via Salaria was measured using a rotating mechanical computer, where Sufism, Neoplatonism and Manichaeanism influenced culture since the 12th century among the Fedeli d’Amore and whomever printed the first Tarot cards, why is this country so paralyzed that despite all creativity things just don't want to progress ?

Posted by: Bella Figura | January 19, 2008 11:07 PM