The eternal present

Barbato.jpg

Letters like this are arriving at the blog every day. They leave an emptiness inside me. I feel robbed of a future together with the one who writes. No one is talking about the future any more, of tomorrow. We are living in an eternal present. And we believe that this is life, without the possibility of change. Chin up! Letís change this country.!
ĒYesterday was a splendid sunny Sunday, one of those days that makes you want to go out, to see everything in that magnificent light.
But (we know) not everything can go as you imagine it. So you see that your wife is strange, you see her thoughtful, and with shining eyes. You go up to her nervously and timorously and ask what has happened. At this point serenity collapses. You start to tell yourself that you canít go on like this, that itís not right that even on Sundays she has to go to work and on Monday to clean the shops for a few Euros. She never has the time to switch off. I never take her out. I never give her a surprise. With that miserable pay packet we canít get by any more.
Sheís right. Itís unpalatable, tough, mortifying. At 36 years Iím a failure. I donít get as much as 1500 Euro. With a mortgage of 700 Euro a month, utility bills, the car, taxes and school dinners (yes I have two splendid children), payments on the car, petrol, condominium expenses and so on. We donít even manage to do regular shopping.
So, ďangryĒ I take the two children and go out with them. I take them to the park and then to the fun fair. I let them enjoy themselves like I havenít done for ages. On the way back I looked at them in the mirror of the car. I heard them chattering and laughing, and I started to cry. Yes at 36 years old, I cried like a child. Then at a certain moment the youngest one, saw that I was crying and said: ďWhatís up dad?Ē I replied: ďNothing. Iím happy because I see you happy.Ē Iím a liar. I should have replied that I was sad because I had spent the last 16 Euro on the fun fair, that I was sorry because Father Christmas couldnít stretch to a playstation, that I didnít know how to pay two utility bills, that the fridge is empty, that mum is right, I never give her a surprise.
Dear Beppe, Iím letting off steam and you will have received thousands of similar letters, but today I decided to write to you because while I was in front of the press, I remembered that about 10 years ago I had a tiny accident. A spring from a trolley for the containers suddenly came away and flew across my forehead. They gave me one stitch, and a few months later a cheque for 250 thousand lire arrived. The idea flashed across my mind to put my hand underneath, in the press and that way I could pay off the utility bills that are outstanding. But I was afraid.Ē Alessio

V2-day, 25 April, for freedom of information:
1. Put your photos on www.flickr.com with the tag V2-day
2. Put your videos on www.youtube.com with the tag V2-day
3. Give your support to V2 day

Versace.jpg
Click to see the video

Comments

ciao beppe,sei perfino in svezia !

complimenti dalla francia,
marco

Posted by: marco marchi | February 25, 2008 08:11 AM

Mr. Grillo can you help me get my Itian citazinship back? Thank you

Posted by: Domenico Iannacchione | February 20, 2008 03:53 PM

Hi Domenico,

a month ago I was abroad and watched a Tv programme (with Gigliola Cinquetti) on Rai International where there is always a space with a lawyer to talk about problems of Italians abroad similar to yours. They receive letters or emails and reply with the help of lawyers or experts in those questions. There were many cases such as yours, but I didn't pay too much attention and don't remember their reply. Unfortunately I also don't remember the name of the programme (and don't know whether is still broadcasted now) neither the email address, but if you are in USA you should be able to check on your Tv and try to write an email to them explaining your situation. If they take into consideration your case it would be a good help to speed up the procedures and find a suitable solution. The condition for you to live one year in Italy sounds ridicolous!

Good luck,

Anna

Posted by: Anna | February 14, 2008 02:51 PM

Commento al video del post:

Sembra cabaret, ma e' un reality show. E' la nuova immagine che da questa parte del pianeta rappresenta la nostra patria sui quotidiani:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSskAmAYWWY

Posted by: Ilaria Meloni | February 13, 2008 08:55 PM

Thnk you for let me vent my frustation ,I know
that you may not be able to help me or all the
other peoples in my situation.
I moved in the USA in 1958 and in order to be able to work or sponsor my parents I had to have
the citazinship of this country.At that time you
where allowed just one . I try to restore my Italian citazinship with no succes . I was born
in Italy in 1931 . Now I am told that I must live for one year in Italy before I can have it back.
It is impossible for me to do this so I will
never be an Italian again. Born and raised in
Italy but not Italian. We had no choice when we
lost the Italian citazinship. If you can help I
will be gratfull .Thank you Domenico

Posted by: Domenico Iannacchione | February 13, 2008 08:05 PM

good idea frau gionata, but rather than act as the French do, it would be much better to act as the French did 221 years ago.

Posted by: giuseppe vidozzi | February 13, 2008 06:40 PM

Alessio and millions like him are unable to make a living while a small group of privileged people has raided the nation's coffers and driven the Country into the ground.
I agree that Italians, like the French so often do, have to take to the streets in large numbers (I am not talking about Union sponsored marches here)and shake this comatose establishment out of its complacency. The status quo, with its continuous meaningless elections featuring the same mafiosi, will only continue to destroy Italy and push many of the intelligent and educated citizens out of the Country.

Posted by: Mark | February 13, 2008 03:02 PM

The solution is next door,
we should act like French people do: go in street demonstation blocking station paralize the country and you will see how things will start to change........i'm afraid to said that but with another 5 years of MAFIA in the goverment will kill completely the country !!!
the election of the 12-13 april will be in 3-4 years considered as "THE SADEST DAYS OF OUR COUNTRY"

Posted by: frau gionata | February 13, 2008 10:21 AM

I feel very sad for Alessio and those who are in similar situations. I feel angry, to have a child today has become a privilege for few.
How can we support them, their education, their happiness...if we don't even have a hope for future?
I also have a child, I also find myself crying sometimes thinking about the future.
And what makes me so angry is that with all the problems we're having, these people are talking again about abortion...taking away the freedom of people to decide for what is best for their future and what they can afford.
They should start thinking about what they can do for the living children rather than for the unborn ones. They should start thinking about what guarantees and support they can provide to a pregnant woman rather than putting her in hell with her choices, whatever they are. They should start thinking what people need in order to have a family and a future. If they cannot do this, they must shut their mouth up about abortion.
They are playing with our dignity in a shameful and unbearable way.

Posted by: Anna | February 13, 2008 09:02 AM

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/politics/2008/02/09/obama.sat.speech.cnn?iref=videosearch and he won Virginia
This kind of speaking is what the world needs

Posted by: Giuliana Caporale | February 13, 2008 04:12 AM

Hello People,

Alessio's letter is beyound words.I have no idea as to how all the union people, so called industrialists, politicians, the self-proclaimed "winners" that laugh and call us "coglioni, bamboccioni" are able to sleep at night. And then there the journalists trying to dismiss us as "grilliani" "populists", or accusing us of being against politics. That journalist asking Versace, "all'ora tu sei grilliano?" What kind of fuckin' question is that? Versace was expressing his disgust with this political class, like millions of Italians. What? We're stupid? We don't know? What did you ever give us other than trying to cloud our ideas with your television programs showing butts-and-tits? We had no voice: Grillo gave us a platform and a voice. The journalist wanted to diminish what Versace was saying. "All'ora sei un grilliano?" its code to "Yeah, OK, Versace. Whatever." Perhaps that journalist should ask Alessio if he is "grilliano" and I want to see if he has the balls to accuse him of being "populist" or anti-politics". But that kind of labelling is typical of that Italian dismissiviness. Go ahead, dismiss us. And sweet dreams! In spite of your attempts to kill our hopes, we still hope to get back our democracy, our freedoms.

Posted by: Louis Pacella | February 13, 2008 02:42 AM

OK, Grillo. What was the matter with that last comment I sent you. The comment did have my name and e-mail address.

Posted by: Louis Pacella | February 13, 2008 02:11 AM

Posted by: Louis Pacella | February 13, 2008 02:10 AM

I would like Alessio to know that he is not alone - we "Alessio's" are so many -- each year its seems more difficult to get things paid and taken care of - our pay doesn't go as far as it used - my friends and I often say that when we were starting out and working in school its as if we had more money then - and of course more fun with it!

My heart breaks for the father that is Alessio that cannot give his children such a treat as an afternoon at a fair without having to go without paying for their utilities. It is at times difficult to smile and say that things could be worse - especially when the utilities people are calling for their money and dinner is sparse - its difficult to accept that there are so many others in worse position - I think that every person wants that little child sitting across from them at the dinner table to happy, contented and full.

Posted by: Kathleen Carroll` | February 12, 2008 10:46 PM