Minerva

video_tremontishow.jpg
Tremonti show

Minerva is the nickname of a South Korean blogger. He was arrested by his government and he risks seven years in prison with the accusation of having spread false rumours about the economy. Minerva has been defined by the weekly magazine "The Economist" as an online Nostradamus for the predictions he has made. In September on the Korean portal called Daum, he predicted the collapse of the Lehman Brothers bank a few days before it happened. In October he wrote that the Korean currency, the Won, would be devalued in relation to the American dollar. That happened with a drop of 26%. In recent months the President Lee Myung-bak and the Minister of Finance Kang Man-soo have tried to discover the identity of Minerva. A terrorist of the peace of the economy. If Minerva knew and the government did not know, then there are just two possibilities: the first is that the government is made up of people who are incapable, the second is that it wants to be ignorant. Minerva has made other predictions about the future of South Korea, that are not at all reassuring. He predicted that the leading company on the South Korean Stock Exchange would lose half its value, just like the real estate. In his latest article, Minerva has written that the South Korean authorities have decided to order the financial community not to buy any more American dollars. The information was declared false by the government and Minerva has been identified and arrested.

Minerva.jpg
Minerva. Photo by The Irish Times

Minerva is an unemployed lad who has recently graduated and he has no particular knowledge of the economy, according to the South Korean authorities.
Crikey, Iím coming out in cold sweats. How long will they give me for Parmalat? More than Tanzi or less? And for the collapse of the shares of Tronchettiís Telecom Italia? And for the collapse of the banks that I predicted on 8 August 2008 in Piazza Navona, will they send me to Devilís Island with Gasparri?
Crikey, here Iím risking too much. If word gets round that the Koreans jail the bloggers who make economic predictions, itís curtains for me. If, for example, I were to say that the BOT {Government Bonds} are not worth a fig and give a third of the real inflation rate, what could happen to me? If I were to dare to say that in 2009, Tremonti will not manage to sell the State Bonds, will I finish up in the Arcore Mausoleum with a view over the Mangano stables? If I were to say that there will be an extra 2 million unemployed people during 2009? That the public debt will explode? That the towns will go bust? What would happen to me if I were to say these things? I have not said them. I am contradicting myself. From now on call me Mercury.

Post a comment | Sign up | Send to a friend | | GrilloNews |

Comments

It is a shame that in supposedly democratic governments they put people in jail just for going against what the government says. I guess al tyrannies (wether by a great leader, the party, or certain part of society) can start the same way: taking people whose opinions are uncomfortable and locking them away "for the greater good". An excellent example about it is, in fiction, "V for Vendetta".

In real life, unfortunately, there are too many to count.

Posted by: Juan | February 2, 2009 06:06 AM

I'm asking to myself when will come the time for the people to really get pissed off.

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 19, 2009 06:41 PM

Posted by: Giovanni Principe | January 19, 2009 06:41 PM

"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see."
A case of "shooting the messenger", it seems.
Very common in administrations where authoritarianism, incompetence and corruption are the status quo.
Still, living in Italy, you'd know all about that.

Posted by: Rolly Wheeler | January 17, 2009 01:01 AM

Salve signor Grillo
sono studente sudcoreano dell'universita' degli studi di Padova, questo non e' la verita' del fenomeno online ma di fondo per fare polizze preventative di abbassare rateo dei debiti finanziali delle banche, era un intervento inevitabile da ministero come un tipo di decretto legge di urgenza(cmq ancora non e' sicuro se ministero di finanza lo facesse)
E Arresto di Minerva, si esibisce strutturalmente la sbeffeggiato figura dei conflitti tra due generazioni di politica - nel punto di criterio per livello dell'uso di Internet, propriamente vecchi e relativamente giovani - un solo aspetto.
Nel frattempo di indagine su Minerva, per stavolta, questo governo sta tentando di venire approvato disegni di legge per controllare giudiziosamente le communicazioni online, mentre dopo si puo' autorizzare l'iniziativa per tramissione e internet ai alcuni giornali preesistenti i cui stessi parti di fortissima -
problema esseziale in recente per noi coreani
Minerva, piuttosto, e' una possibile voce su web sfera ma scelte del Minitero di finanza non potrebbe essere possibili voci in realta', malgrado opinioni del popolo coreano
Il vero problema, oggi della societa', si poggia alla divulgazione di sfiducia da differenza altrui, invece di mandare reciprocamente ispirazioni di cuore e rispetti di pazienza.

Posted by: Guimakjin | January 16, 2009 03:46 PM

Dear Mr. Beppe Grillo.

I am writing this on behalf of MBC, a South Korean TV station.

I am very glad to find this story on your website as we are hoping to cover your story.

I have sent an e-mail to yournews@beppegrillo.it , please kindly send us a reply.

If you have further question, I will be very happy to assist you.

Thank you.